PDA

View Full Version : How Do We Get This Board To Grow?

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 07:49 AM
A question that came to me this morning is how do we get this board to grow to a point where it has some staying power? We all know that the Orange Mane and of course Broncomania are well established so how do we compete with them?

Tned
08-28-2007, 08:01 AM
A quetion that came to me this morning is how do we get this board to grow to a point where it has some staying power? We all know that the Orange Mane and of course Broncomania are well established so how do we compete with them?

That's a good question, so anyone that has some ideas should chime in.

We have a good nucleus of quality posters that logged in yesterday and today, so that is a great start. However, we need to figure out how to get enough momentum for the board to take on a life of its own.

anton...
08-28-2007, 08:04 AM
A quetion that came to me this morning is how do we get this board to grow to a point where it has some staying power? We all know that the Orange Mane and of course Broncomania are well established so how do we compete with them?

we could try what mozilla firefox did:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2006/6/new-firefox-mascot.jpg

merchandise is always great...

yeah...

i love...

merchandise...

fireboobs...

i mean...

boobs...

what??

yeah...

all that...

or we perhaps could create an environment where people could become addicted or perhaps threatened if they were to leave...

eg: http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/im_luggin_it_mcdonalds.jpg

im sure that dude was forced at gunpoint to eat there...

cant we do the same to people wanting to read here??
________
BUY MARIJUANA SEEDS (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

Tned
08-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Ok, I am going to say the blonde is hired, but the guy has to go!

anton...
08-28-2007, 08:06 AM
momentum...

problem with momentum, is that it normally takes some time and some dedication before anything happens...

the orange mane and broncomania didnt become popular overnight...

some loyal posters hung in there and watched the place grow...
________
Melisajanex (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/melisajanex)

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Ok, I am going to say the blond is hired, but the guy has to go!

Same here the blond would works but the guy just might be a big detriment literally and figuratively to the board.

Jaws
08-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Could feed the board on my Mum's homecooking, worked for me and my sis, we're both over six foot and my bro's not far off seven foot!

;)

Tned
08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Could feed the board on my Mum's homecooking, worked for me and my sis, we're both over six foot and my bro's not far off seven foot!

;)

It must be the :minnows: ;)

Jaws
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
It must be the :minnows: ;)

Lol!

Minnows are the answer, the perfect "bait"

Better get d'em smileys fast :)

Tned
08-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Lol!

Minnows are the answer, the perfect "bait"

Better get d'em smileys fast :)

Yea, I'm going to work on that after work today. The hours have seemed to fly by over the last 36 hours. I need a :beer:

anton...
08-28-2007, 08:17 AM
beer...

ILL SECOND THAT!!

:dance:
________
EFFECTS OF ZOLOFT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Yea, I'm going to work on that after work today. The hours have seemed to fly by over the last 36 hours. I need a :beer:

Is drinking and typing allowed in the state of Arkansas? :p

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 09:39 AM
I almost for got. I have I did PM a couple of people over on Broncomania about this new Board so hopefully they come and join us.

Rick
08-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Not sure if it will generate any members but I once paid for some advertising at the site I was building.

Basically the program sends a certain amount of redirects to the link of my choice.

It has been going to waste for awhile as I am not using my old site anymore so the redirects have been going to a useless place really.

I just changed the URL so it will do the redirects here. About 20k redirects left on my account. Don't count on it helping but you never know, maybe a few will stay.

Maybe some will just be pissed about being redirected and just close the page LOL.

This link is basically what the redirect is and the add that goes with it.
http://mass.manda1.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/24244.14.580186439872594470

Reidman
08-29-2007, 04:04 AM
I honestly think the key lies in brand new members and not just members from Broncomania or who have been banned or left there. Those members are great for "establishing" a good foundation but growth usually stems from first timers.

My first board ever was mania and it inevitably had most of my attention over any other board where I became a member. People join boards at first for information but eventually form friendships and cliques which draw them in even more and keep them coming back.

So basically we need to do whatever we can to get the board name and rep out into cyber world..

BroncoBJ
08-29-2007, 04:54 AM
LMAO @ that guy. Wow. And I think a good idea would be to keep bringing people from Broncomania over here and maybe Bronco fans that you know personally? or Bronco fans that you know from other forums. I might try to recruit some Bronco fans onto this site.

The more we recruit and the more people find out about this site the better. Also when I go to Bronco games this year I will try and tell as many people about this site as possible. :)

Tned
08-29-2007, 07:37 AM
I honestly think the key lies in brand new members and not just members from Broncomania or who have been banned or left there. Those members are great for "establishing" a good foundation but growth usually stems from first timers.

My first board ever was mania and it inevitably had most of my attention over any other board where I became a member. People join boards at first for information but eventually form friendships and cliques which draw them in even more and keep them coming back.

So basically we need to do whatever we can to get the board name and rep out into cyber world..

Definitely. We need to spread the word and figure out how to get the name out there.

It is a catch 22. On the one hand we are all going to like things when it is just posters we know, and we don't have trolls, etc. On the other hand, if the forum doesn't get enough critical mass, then there won't be enough daily activity to keep everyone happy and then it will simply fade away over time.

We need to all work to get new members over here to check it out, so that we can get enough momentum that the forums become self sustaining.

In addition to the word of mouth campaign, I have setup a google adwords advertising campaign. Obviously, I had to set it up with a limited budget, because it is coming out of my pocket, but that will hopefully introduce us to some new Broncos fans.

Tned
08-29-2007, 07:38 AM

As long as it isn't in public, we are good. :D Of course, I have to drive about an hour to a 'wet' county to buy a beer! :(

Tned
08-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Not sure if it will generate any members but I once paid for some advertising at the site I was building.

Basically the program sends a certain amount of redirects to the link of my choice.

It has been going to waste for awhile as I am not using my old site anymore so the redirects have been going to a useless place really.

I just changed the URL so it will do the redirects here. About 20k redirects left on my account. Don't count on it helping but you never know, maybe a few will stay.

Maybe some will just be pissed about being redirected and just close the page LOL.

This link is basically what the redirect is and the add that goes with it.
http://mass.manda1.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/24244.14.580186439872594470

Was it Broncos/Sports advertising? Or, something else?

frenchfan
08-29-2007, 07:39 AM
A quetion that came to me this morning is how do we get this board to grow to a point where it has some staying power? We all know that the Orange Mane and of course Broncomania are well established so how do we compete with them?TX... IMO, it's not a competition...

We should just have fun with each others here and things will happen...
Of course... My presence and My bisous will surely help (Who said I was arrogant??? :D)

More seriously :
Just have fun... tell our mind but stay civil... have our laughs, our discusses and just share our friendship... that's all...

:cool:

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 07:46 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head, while members from Broncomania can help to establish a solid foundation first timers are the ones that can get this board to grow.

When I asked the question originally that was part of my thought process, was 'How do we get first timers to this place?'

Tned
08-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head, while members from Broncomania can help to establish a solid foundation first timers are the ones that can get this board to grow.

When I asked the question originally that was part of my thought process, was 'How do we get first timers to this place?'

Agreed 100%. The group we have now, and maybe some more friends/regulars, we create a great nucleus to set the tone of the board and help determine policies and other decisions the board will face in the coming days/weeks. However, we will still need an influx of new members to really make this a great place.

Rick
08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Was it Broncos/Sports advertising? Or, something else?

Kinda generic advertising. They are a marketing company that has tons of clients. Basically they have tons of free forums, stuff like that I guess that people get redirected to.

Supposedly it redirects about 100 a day to the account, but since it is generic I am not sure how many if any will stay.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-29-2007, 09:50 AM
The best way to get this board to grow is by us keeping this board a quality place to post. If we talk intelligently and offer the fun that was on Broncomania (ABF) we'll be just fine. A lot of us here want to talk football and if we can demonstrate that we have a great amount of posters here who have a real knack for football, the people will come.

On Football's Future, a site I used to moderate at - I was one of the first members. It took several months to a year before the site really took off, but now they have over 24,000 members and two million posts a few years later. I don't know of Broncos Forums will ever get that big, but that'd be fantastic if it did.

Don't get discouraged if we don't have a couple hundred members by the end of the week. It'll all come in time. For us to already have 60+ members registered and some quality posting going on speaks volumes about the potential the community has. We just have to keep it up. Once the design is complete and we all get settled in, we'll grow.

Just have to keep up the good, hard work and people will realize this is the place to be.

anton...
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
The best way to get this board to grow is by us keeping this board a quality place to post. If we talk intelligently and offer the fun that was on Broncomania (ABF) we'll be just fine. A lot of us here want to talk football and if we can demonstrate that we have a great amount of posters here who have a real knack for football, the people will come.

On Football's Future, a site I used to moderate at - I was one of the first members. It took several months to a year before the site really took off, but now they have over 24,000 members and two million posts a few years later. I don't know of Broncos Forums will ever get that big, but that'd be fantastic if it did.

Don't get discouraged if we don't have a couple hundred members by the end of the week. It'll all come in time. For us to already have 60+ members registered and some quality posting going on speaks volumes about the potential the community has. We just have to keep it up. Once the design is complete and we all get settled in, we'll grow.

Just have to keep up the good, hard work and people will realize this is the place to be.

sounds about right to me...
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 04:29 PM

The real question is can those from Arkansas type?

Tned
08-29-2007, 04:32 PM
The real question is can those from Arkansas type?

Not two wel. It mite be cawse we still hav manuel tiperighters in skool, not compewters.

Kapaibro
08-29-2007, 04:33 PM
UV lights and Super-Gro

Well it works for stoners!

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
UV lights and Super-Gro

Well it works for stoners!

We'll have to get back you on that one Kapai. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=TXBRONC;422]A quetion that came to me this morning is how do we get this board to grow to a point where it has some staying power? We all know that the Orange Mane and of course Broncomania are well established so how do we compete with them?

We just all need to spread the word - I am still sending out pms :D

topscribe
08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't think we need to worry about competing with anyone, do you?

Just do our thing . . .

-----

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I haven't done it yet, but if someone were to google "Broncos forums" this should be the first one they see. Even Broncos Message boards this should be near the top or so. Thats how I find a lot of other teams sites.

Also, for those who can still post on Mania, just put a link to this site in your Signature. I bet that would go over GREAT over there...:D

topscribe
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
I haven't done it yet, but if someone were to google "Broncos forums" this should be the first one they see. Even Broncos Message boards this should be near the top or so. Thats how I find a lot of other teams sites.

Also, for those who can still post on Mania, just put a link to this site in your Signature. I bet that would go over GREAT over there...:D
This guy's a born marketer . . . :cool:

-----

Tned
08-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Not for a while at least,, since I just submitted it to google this morning.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 06:03 PM

I was wondering how that worked.

Soon though, very soon. I might try it later.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM

I was going to say I just did a google and this site didn't come up.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
I was going to say I just did a google and this site didn't come up.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
:mad::mad::mad:

I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news. :o

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news. :o

I am sure in time it will come. :):)

OB
08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Be like mania was when it first started - let the small things go - be a little looser - make sure we dont get a bunch of whiners on board who tattle on every little thing :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Be like mania was when it first started - let the small things go - be a little looser - make sure we dont get a bunch of whiners on board who tattle on every little thing :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Who would have the nerve to do that to you?

OB
08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah and make me a mod :D :eek:

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Oh yeah and make me a mod

:cheer2::cheer2:

sneakers
08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Water and sunlight:elefant::sheep::marchmellow::washing:

BigBroncLove
08-31-2007, 10:34 PM
I like a lot of the ideas on ehre already. Dream makes some excellent points, and the marketing guru with the google and sig ideas also sound great to me.

If I were to make a suggestion, it would also be to do a few things that might make it unique. Maybe have a weekly main discussion thread talking about a major issue for that week of football (a new weekly thread started every week). Something that will engross the user in discussion but not something that has been talked over consistently. For example, this week everyone is talking cuts, but maybe a good "The Big Weekly Discussion thread: Preseason Wk4" would talk about who would be an interesting grab from waivers. A little different idea, but just a thought. Doesn't have to be that, but something sponsered by the mods that get the community involved in the threads on this board.

That's it for now, I'm short on ideas :P

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 10:50 PM
I like a lot of the ideas on ehre already. Dream makes some excellent points, and the marketing guru with the google and sig ideas also sound great to me.

If I were to make a suggestion, it would also be to do a few things that might make it unique. Maybe have a weekly main discussion thread talking about a major issue for that week of football (a new weekly thread started every week). Something that will engross the user in discussion but not something that has been talked over consistently. For example, this week everyone is talking cuts, but maybe a good "The Big Weekly Discussion thread: Preseason Wk4" would talk about who would be an interesting grab from waivers. A little different idea, but just a thought. Doesn't have to be that, but something sponsered by the mods that get the community involved in the threads on this board.

That's it for now, I'm short on ideas :P

I think it has merit.:thumb:

dogfish
08-31-2007, 11:27 PM
A quetion that came to me this morning is how do we get this board to grow to a point where it has some staying power?

get some growth hormone-- i hear rodney harrison can help you out. . . . :listen:

:laugh::laugh:

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
get some growth hormone-- i hear rodney harrison can help you out. . . . :listen:

:laugh::laugh:

I hear that he has some pretty good stuff. I'll put in a call to him tomorrow. :rofl:

Tned
09-01-2007, 12:21 AM
FWIW, the submission to google has worked better than I thought. They normally say it can take 4-6 weeks to show up in the index. I am not sure if it is because I also did some adword advertising, but I just checked Google.

A search for "Broncos Forums" results in BroncosForums.com being the 7th site listed.

A search for "Denver Broncos Forums" results in BroncosForums.com being the 14th site listed (second page, six sites down).

OB
09-01-2007, 01:41 AM
I think its a moot point - this board is rockin already :whoo:

dogfish
09-01-2007, 01:59 AM

yeeaaa, we got sexy biznatches, what else do we need?

:drinkingsong:

okay, so some good content will probably help, too. . . stuff like pick'em is fun (has anybody invited deuce yet?), and if you're quick you can still organize a board FF team. . . i like BBL's idea as well. . . i don't think you'll have to do much to secure a base of people from the old Bmania site-- the best way to get new people to hang around once they're here is to have something good for them to read. . . . crank out some of those analytical threads in yer spare time, tned. . . . :becky:

Tned
09-01-2007, 02:09 AM
crank out some of those analytical threads in yer spare time, tned. . . . :becky:

Spare time? What's that? :D

BigBroncLove
09-01-2007, 02:53 AM
yeeaaa, we got sexy biznatches, what else do we need?

:drinkingsong:

okay, so some good content will probably help, too. . . stuff like pick'em is fun (has anybody invited deuce yet?), and if you're quick you can still organize a board FF team. . . i like BBL's idea as well. . . i don't think you'll have to do much to secure a base of people from the old Bmania site-- the best way to get new people to hang around once they're here is to have something good for them to read. . . . crank out some of those analytical threads in yer spare time, tned. . . . :becky:

I like the deuce and board FF thing. Just for clarification, by board FF team do you mean an FF team selected by vote by the boards or an official board FF League? If it's a league I want in since I currently lack a league due to sheer lack of effort.

If a FF League does get made, if I could make a suggestion. Now this is about 30 steps ahead, so it has nothing to do with the present, but as time goes on and there are more users who want to take part in the league, instead of just maintaining one single super league, start additional leagues and form a psuedo ring of leagues. What I mean by this is have each league have a maximum of 14 or 16 teams, and once over that limit form another league. Then at the end of the regular season you could do a few things I suppose. You could simply have the top winners battle it out during the first playoff game or Week 17 for the FF SB. That or something similar. If thigns really get rocking, then just make more legues and change the rules to best fit odd or even number of leagues....

The reason I'm making the sugeestion is it seemed to me the leagues got semi elitist at BM. What I mean by that is good portions of the posters were unable to join the more prominent leagues. I think FF is a good way to get to know new users, and would make a user want to stick around. Besides that I think it would be easier for new users to get to know other posters, and that it could create for some pretty interesting competitions. I know... I know... pretty strange rant at least a year early, but its something that bothered me a little about the FF leagues at Broncomania.

dogfish
09-01-2007, 01:45 PM
I like the deuce and board FF thing. Just for clarification, by board FF team do you mean an FF team selected by vote by the boards or an official board FF League? If it's a league I want in since I currently lack a league due to sheer lack of effort.

If a FF League does get made, if I could make a suggestion. Now this is about 30 steps ahead, so it has nothing to do with the present, but as time goes on and there are more users who want to take part in the league, instead of just maintaining one single super league, start additional leagues and form a psuedo ring of leagues. What I mean by this is have each league have a maximum of 14 or 16 teams, and once over that limit form another league. Then at the end of the regular season you could do a few things I suppose. You could simply have the top winners battle it out during the first playoff game or Week 17 for the FF SB. That or something similar. If thigns really get rocking, then just make more legues and change the rules to best fit odd or even number of leagues....

The reason I'm making the sugeestion is it seemed to me the leagues got semi elitist at BM. What I mean by that is good portions of the posters were unable to join the more prominent leagues. I think FF is a good way to get to know new users, and would make a user want to stick around. Besides that I think it would be easier for new users to get to know other posters, and that it could create for some pretty interesting competitions. I know... I know... pretty strange rant at least a year early, but its something that bothered me a little about the FF leagues at Broncomania.

ahh, i think you may be referring to my leagues-- there's no "semi" about it, they're just plain elitist. . . if i'm going to put in work to form a league, i'm going to have people i trust to stick with it and manage their teams. . . in public leagues, usually you get someone who signs up and then forgets about it, or abandons their team when they aren't winning, and it affects the competitive balance of the league (i hate seeing that my opponent for the last playoff spot has a "bye" because they're playing the owner who stopped managing their team in week five, and is starting three guys who are on IR). . . .

of course, if you'd been active on the board when i was forming my leagues, you'd certainly have been invited to one of them. . . .

:behindsofa:

i'll start a thread in the fantasy sports forum and see if there's enough interest to do an official board league here. . . .

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 02:49 PM

It rocks because the quality of the people here. :wink:

BigBroncLove
09-02-2007, 02:03 AM
ahh, i think you may be referring to my leagues-- there's no "semi" about it, they're just plain elitist. . . if i'm going to put in work to form a league, i'm going to have people i trust to stick with it and manage their teams. . . in public leagues, usually you get someone who signs up and then forgets about it, or abandons their team when they aren't winning, and it affects the competitive balance of the league (i hate seeing that my opponent for the last playoff spot has a "bye" because they're playing the owner who stopped managing their team in week five, and is starting three guys who are on IR). . . .

of course, if you'd been active on the board when i was forming my leagues, you'd certainly have been invited to one of them. . . .

:behindsofa:

i'll start a thread in the fantasy sports forum and see if there's enough interest to do an official board league here. . . .

Naw man, I actually wasn't referring to your league becaue it was at least straight forward. It said, "league of elites" and was 100% truthfull as all those involved were top notch posters. I was talking mroe about the league of superstars II with their sticky and their lack of allownce of players with under 2000 posts. I liked your league actually, it was cool, but was refering more to other leagues personally. Count me in, on your league here dogfish.

omac
09-02-2007, 10:35 AM
The only way to truly make sure this board grows ....

.... is an over-abbundance of Jay x Jake threads. :eek:

Other than that, there will be enough material in the regular season to fill this board with tons of stuff.

And if all else fails, we can always use the magic turtle. :cool:

Jody
09-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Agreed 100%. The group we have now, and maybe some more friends/regulars, we create a great nucleus to set the tone of the board and help determine policies and other decisions the board will face in the coming days/weeks. However, we will still need an influx of new members to really make this a great place.

I agree. New members are critical to the board's success and brings fresh ideas and new ways of looking at things, so we don't get stuck in a rut. However, some maturity (regardless of their age) is essential!

Skinny
09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree. New members are critical to the board's success and brings fresh ideas and new ways of looking at things, so we don't get stuck in a rut. However, some maturity (regardless of their age) is essential!AMEN SISTA!