PDA

View Full Version : Marshall v White

rcsodak
08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4404535&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlineshttp://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_patriots_web_17_08-17-09_GCFDT07_v2.38accba.htmlhttp://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9949692/Marshall-hoping-comparison-pays-

Who's the better wr? The total package?

IS BMarsh worthy of what White received this year?

frauschieze
08-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Link goes to the Smith trade.

dogfish
08-17-2009, 07:49 PM
are you talking about roddy white?

i think brandon's a slightly better player, and he probably has more upside than white. . . compared in a vacuum, i wouldn't trade marshall for white, but when you factor in the off-field stuff i probably would. . .

dogfish
08-17-2009, 07:52 PM
After holding out for the first week of training camp, receiver Roddy White agreed to a new contract with the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday night.

Several reports said White had worked out a six-year deal worth about $50 million, including $18 million guaranteed. He will become one of the NFL's highest-paid receivers, though short of Larry Fitzgerald's $10 million-a-year deal with Arizona.

White had a career-best 88 receptions and set a franchise record with 1,382 yards receiving last season, ranking fourth in the NFL.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-newswire-newswatch9-2009aug09,0,2835534.story

six years, fitty mil. . . that's about the going rate for top-end receivers these days. . . IF he can play through this year and show that his hip's okay and he can be as productive as he was before the surgery, and IF he can get through this year without any further off-field shenanigans, i'd have no problem throwing those kinds of numbers at him-- as long as we have some kind of protection written into the contract against further legal hijinks. . . compared to what other receivers are getting, his on-field production is worth it. . .

horsepig
08-17-2009, 08:55 PM
No effing way. BM is one hell of a receiver, but not worth Elway/TD money in any respect.

Where will this stop?

If you were Pat Bowlen would you pay Roddy White that kind of money, I sure as hell wouldn't.

Lonestar
08-17-2009, 09:07 PM
by Mike Klis The Denver Post , The Denver Post

What Brandon Marshall is to the Broncos , Roddy White is to the Atlanta Falcons.

Both are their respective teams' No. 1 receivers who were named to the Pro Bowl last year. Both are coming off breakout, back-to-back seasons, with White accumulating 2,584 yards and 13 touchdown catches in 2007 and 2008 and Marshall recording a near-identical 2,590 yards and 13 TDs.
Marshall is not unfamiliar with the similarities. Nor did he miss the news that White held out from the Falcons' training camp until he received a six-year, $50 million contract extension last week.

Marshall had conducted a similar protest by holding out from the Broncos' minicamp in June but returned to the practice field Sunday with no change in his contract that has a $2.198 million salary remaining.

As it so happened, Marshall was in Atlanta last week. His visit there made all the papers. Between courtroom sessions of his trial that would acquit him on misdemeanor battery charges, Marshall found time to catch up with White.

And yes, they got around to talking business.

"He's a guy who worked hard. He paid his dues the past two years, put up some big numbers," Marshall said. "And he deserved to get paid, and he did. I'm excited for Roddy and his future with the Falcons."

There may be a message in those words. By getting exonerated by a six-person jury Friday in Atlanta, Marshall finally has some bargaining leverage.

Marshall has not held out from training camp, although he has missed most of it to recover from what he said was a hamstring injury. But he returned Sunday, and coach Josh McDaniels hopes Marshall can play in the preseason game Saturday night in Seattle.

One look at the Broncos' receiving corps without Marshall shows why they are considerably stronger with him. With his ability to post up in the end zone and bang bodies inside the hash marks, Marshall adds a power forward element to a receiving roster that is otherwise loaded with point guards.

"He's kind of like the LeBron of our receiving corps," Broncos rookie receiver Kenny McKinley said. "He's a freak of nature, just looking at him. He's so big and strong, he can just dispose of those DBs and be on his way."

Marshall, by his own admission, didn't have a great practice Sunday. He started off playing with the No. 2 offense directed by quarterback Chris Simms, although Marshall did mix in with Kyle Orton and the first team.

On one play, Orton zipped a pass to the back of the end zone, but Marshall couldn't hang on.

"I felt kind of rusty today," Marshall said. "I was kind of disappointed in my performance, but it's only the first day, so I'll get better."

Marshall did not exude happiness during a media gathering after practice Sunday until he was asked if he thought he could work his way back up to the first team.

"Wow," he said, before starting to laugh. "I wasn't going to smile today, but that was funny. I'm just going to try my best to get back into the rotation with the 1s."

Marshall doesn't find humor with his contract, but then again, the subject doesn't exactly pour giddiness into the upstairs atmosphere of Dove Valley, either. The Broncos' preference would be for Marshall to prove he is fully recovered from hip surgery and stay out of legal trouble.

The Broncos might also point out that White and Pittsburgh tight end Heath Miller, who also recently received a contract extension, are entering their fifth seasons while Marshall is only in his fourth.

Marshall would counter that the new economic rules set by the league's reopened collective bargaining agreement lumps fourth- and fifth-year players into the same financial disadvantage.

Marshall and White would have been eligible for the financial bonanza that is unrestricted free agency after this season. Instead, they were to become restricted free agents.

Like Marshall, White was unhappy about becoming a restricted free agent and held out.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank caved. White got his deal but also gives Atlanta an elite receiver to help deliver on its Super Bowl aspirations. The Broncos could view Marshall as a greater long-term risk, given his past off-field transgressions. But can they ignore his request and still get him to produce like a No. 1 receiver?

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said before his team's preseason game Friday in San Francisco that he wasn't going to talk about Marshall's contract desires.

"I don't know what they're thinking," Marshall said. "I just need to get back out here and stay healthy and get back into Football shape."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9949692/Marshall-hoping-comparison-pays-

underrated29
08-17-2009, 09:13 PM
BM over white every single day. I wouldnt think twice. I personally dont think white is superior.

He has great size and speed, but marshall has more size, plus he can break tackles, power through defenders and light some DBs up in blocking.

dogfish
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
No effing way. BM is one hell of a receiver, but not worth Elway/TD money in any respect.

Where will this stop?

If you were Pat Bowlen would you pay Roddy White that kind of money, I sure as hell wouldn't.

i see what you're saying, but fifty mil isn't anywhere close to elway money in today's market. . . elway would get a cool hundred million easy-- hell, eli manning just got about that much! the market pretty much dictates a baseline for salaries, and that's what top receivers make these days-- between eight and ten million per year. . . look at any big name wideout who's signed a deal in the past year or so. . . white's numbers over the past two years are nearly identical to brandon's, and they're pretty close in age-- their contracts should be pretty similar. . .

if bowlen doesn't want to pay that, then he can collect a bunch of jabar gaffney's for considerably cheaper. . . and of course, depending on the CBA he can either retain brandon for another year via the RFA tender for a very reasonable price, or he can keep him for a year at a considerably higher price via the franchise tag. . . but you don't get top players at a reduced rate, and if pat won't pay what brandon's production, age and skillset dictate, then we'll lose him as soon as he hits unrestricted free agency (either next year or the year after, again depending on the CBA). . .

believe me, the numbers tend to disgust me, too, but it is what it is. . . that's capitalism, and the NFL is in demand, big time. . . it won't matter if bowlen "takes a stand," because guys like dan snyder and jerruh jones will be more than happy to pony up top dollar. . .

Dirk
08-18-2009, 05:32 AM
"I don't know what they're thinking," Marshall said. "I just need to get back out here and stay healthy and get back into Football shape."

Again I ask....wasn't that why he went to Fitz' little reciever camp? to be in Football shape?

Go to work...prove you want to be there for the team and then I say he should get the money.

CoachChaz
08-18-2009, 08:24 AM
I'd have a hard time paying a guy that stays in trouble, 8.3 mil a year after 2 good seasons.