Requiem / The Dagda
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Via Orange Mane, 950 the Fan.

Also being reported on Mason's blog.

underrated29
11-09-2007, 03:56 PM
ha ha ha that is freaking hilarious!

eap since his shoulder is healthy.

But it kinda sucks, i wasnt to keen about us getting him, but i still had high hopes taht he would turn it on for us.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5743616,00.html

Broncos cut Simeon Rice

By Rocky Mountain News
November 9, 2007
ENGLEWOOD -- The Broncos released veteran defensive end Simeon Rice this afternoon despite still being on the hook for $3 million in guaranteed salary.

Rice was signed just before the season opener for his pass-rushing ability, but he had been ineffective in that role.

There was no announcement about who will replace him on the roster.

One of the NFL's all-time sack leaders, Rice had zero sacks in eight games with the Broncos.

Day1BroncoFan
11-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Who's next I wonder. :confused:

If it working fix it or throw it out I guess.

underrated29
11-09-2007, 04:21 PM
matt trannon that big 6-7 wr was cut from the chefs today also. I am sure he is slow as balls but maybe we bring him in. the article said that we might sign someone before sunday. And we just signed 3 new de's so im curious who shanny has in mind.

Hope its a dt or lb or ol, actaully, now that i think about it, it will probably be a qb.

broncos9697
11-09-2007, 04:21 PM

great job....he needed to go...

NameUsedBefore
11-09-2007, 04:22 PM
That was the easiest three million Simeon will ever make.

broncos9697
11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree with the broncos 100% on this move..
yes he's up there in sacks but he is past his prime in the NFL..
He was brought in to produce to the team which he has not done,plus he's all ready up-set with shanny for not playing him enough....
and if a player does not produce cut him.

Skinny
11-09-2007, 04:25 PM
ha ha ha that is freaking hilarious!

eap since his shoulder is healthy.

But it kinda sucks, i wasnt to keen about us getting him, but i still had high hopes taht he would turn it on for us.I understood taking a chance on him and signing him when we did. We lost Ekuban and our only real pass rusher at the time, was a 5'10 260 pnd 2nd year 4th round draft choice who was'nt an everydown player at the time. And to mention Crowder was nursing a bad ankle. That said, Dumervil has really came on and Crowder is getting worked back into the rotation and like Moss before he got hurt ... is showing their upside. Those guys need and have earned their playing time.

Rice was making no impact what so ever so i understand this move too ... This defense needs more than what Rice can offer at the time.

broncos9697
11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
rice brought nothing to the bronco's...
he knew he was on the team and a starter thats all he wanted..You could see him on sundays just slacking off not giving it a 100% at all.....
Rice he will be picked up by another team just because of the numbers he put up in his prime but after time teams will see he's done for...

y2cragie
11-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Half of me says good riddance. The other half says why?
The guys been paid for the year, we are half way through and rather thin on experience at the D-line position. Why not just stick with the guy for the last 8 games and get the most we can out of him.
However I also thought after his recent "couldn't care less" comment after being asked about the new guys, that the guys trouble. He should care, he was being looked upon as a team leader because of his experience, he should be saying that he would be doing all he could to help the guys fit in, and help teach them the system. Seems to me he was just in it for himself.:rolleyes:

dogfish
11-09-2007, 05:26 PM
:wave: :wave:

good riddance! kudos to the coaching staff, they needed mto get his sorry ass out of our locker room before his attitude could infect our young guys. . . . sends a nice message. . .

topscribe
11-09-2007, 05:54 PM

good riddance! kudos to the coaching staff, they needed mto get his sorry ass out of our locker room before his attitude could infect our young guys. . . . sends a nice message. . .

Well, I haven't seen too much in the way of bad attitude, other than Rice
thought he should be playing when he wasn't. However, the fact they
unloaded him in midseason with assumably a $3M contract (isn't much of it
incentive based, though?) indicates possible problems in that area, doesn't it?

-----

dogfish
11-09-2007, 06:01 PM

-----

yes, it does. . . . to me, the fact that he complained to the media about his playing time is pretty much unacceptable--especially when he wasn't doing anything when he WAS on the field to justify it. . . veteran players know the drill-- you want more playing time, EARN it! earn it in practice, and by excelling on sunday. . . don't run to the media with your sense of entitlement. . . i thought he was a poor example to our young guys, and i'm glad that he's gone. . .

DenBronx
11-09-2007, 06:05 PM

good get his ass out of here. i like that they cut him now because he seems to be trouble in the locker room and media. shanny doesnt tolerate players like this. moss and the other guys will take notice im sure of this.

rice provided nothing! absolutely nothing. it wasnt scheme and it wasnt playing time. when he did get his chance he did nothing. what a loser.

arapaho2
11-09-2007, 06:24 PM

like, mistakes will be made, others will be blamed?

Medford Bronco
11-09-2007, 06:34 PM

welll deserved

now he can suck at home now :laugh:

time to retire Rice, you were good back in the day
but not now

Medford Bronco
11-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Ian Gold should be next
he has sucked so bad this year
and freaking looks lost out there

Al Wilson helped Gold out tremendously
plugging the holes and letting Gold get free

Gold can shed a tackle to save his life

keithbishop
11-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Glad to see this. Anything beyond shutting up and EARNING the PT is unacceptable, specifically with 3 2007 DL draft picks around. Rice was worth taking a shot on, but it didn't work.

pnbronco
11-09-2007, 09:06 PM

-----

I think it does. When things are tough like this year I think the real the personalities show up. I have not seen anything that would indicate that he was showing any leadership or even we are in this as a team. I think it's a good thing that he's gone.

pnbronco
11-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know what kind of bonus Trevor Pryce was suppose to get when he was cut? If Rice got $ 3 million and only made it part way through the season, it makes me wonder.

TXBRONC
11-09-2007, 09:39 PM

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying. Do you think Rice was being productive? If that's what you, he has been by a long shot. The guy has no sacks, and wasn't even getting pressure on the quarterback.

broncofanatic1987
11-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I had high hopes for Rice because Bates' system was right up his alley. The scheme fit Rice's talent to a tee. Unfortunately, he didn't produce. This was a good move.

DenBronx
11-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I had high hopes for Rice because Bates' system was right up his alley. The scheme fit Rice's talent to a tee. Unfortunately, he didn't produce. This was a good move.

bates and his "system" can both kick the bucket.

Medford Bronco
11-09-2007, 11:04 PM
bates and his "system" can both kick the bucket.

you are so right Bates sucks badly IMO

we should be called the overpurse
team with no dicipline

Imaging TD in his prime running against this defense
he would get 250 on Cutbacks easily

Imagine what Adrian Peterson is going to do:eek:

Skywalker
11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Imagine what Adrian Peterson is going to do:eek:

:uh:

Please...don't make me think of that.... http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_eek.gif

:faint:

The Hamburgler
11-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I actually wouldnt be suprised if we signed Lamont Thompson. He worked out with us the other day, and with the release of Curome Cox, it just seems to fit

dogfish
11-10-2007, 01:35 AM
I actually wouldnt be suprised if we signed Lamont Thompson. He worked out with us the other day, and with the release of Curome Cox, it just seems to fit

hmmm, i didn't see that. . . . that would be a good signing. . . thompson has had an up and down career, where he's flashed quality skills but has never been able to play at a consistently high level. . . he's not a top player, but he's an extremely good athlete-- he's younger and faster than lynch and ferguson, and much more experienced and proven that hamza or cargile, and he's in his prime physically. . .

The Hamburgler
11-10-2007, 02:00 AM
hmmm, i didn't see that. . . . that would be a good signing. . . thompson has had an up and down career, where he's flashed quality skills but has never been able to play at a consistently high level. . . he's not a top player, but he's an extremely good athlete-- he's younger and faster than lynch and ferguson, and much more experienced and proven that hamza or cargile, and he's in his prime physically. . .

The Broncos worked out five defensive backs Tuesday, including former Bengals and Titans safety Lamont Thompson.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5741046,00.html

ChampWJ
11-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Rice doesn't think he fit the "system" according to this quote from the Denver Post this morning. He also takes a shot at our priorities when it comes to defense here. You really gotta start to wonder what the heck is going on at Dove Valley.

"I didn't really like their defensive philosophy," Rice said. "It was musical chairs. They played me at left end. I'm a right end. It just never worked there for me. I was under-utilized. I don't think defense is an emphasis there."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7417909

Lonestar
11-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Simeon Rice has always said he didn't play for money. His actions Friday proved that.

Rice said he gave up a portion of his signing bonus in exchange for being released by the Broncos, who signed him to a $3 million deal six days before the start of the season.

The Broncos signed the 34-year-old Rice, who received a $2.15 million signing bonus, in an attempt to improve their pass rush. It didn't work.

Rice, who was inactive for two games because he was ineffective, had no sacks in six games, including the past two games.

"I'm in this to be great and I wasn't allowed to be great in Denver," Rice said. "I gave up some money to get out of there. It was that important to me. I need to be somewhere where I'm allowed to be great. I didn't just wake up in Denver and forget to play football."

Rice said his breaking point came Tuesday, when Denver signed three young defensive linemen. The team likes the trio of Larry Birdine, Paul Carrington and Josh Mallard, and at least one could be on the field Sunday in Kansas City. Rice said he knew his days were numbered in Denver, so he asked to be cut.

"Come on, they brought guys off the street, they're better than me?" he asked. "I know I haven't fallen from grace that far."

Still, while Rice asked to be released, it didn't break the Broncos' heart. They were disappointed in his lack of production, and his boisterous manner was wearing thin. Rice continued in his open ways on the way out the door.

"I didn't really like their defensive philosophy," Rice said. "It was musical chairs. They played me at left end. I'm a right end. It just never worked there for me. I was under-utilized. I don't think defense is an emphasis there."

Rice rarely made his presence felt. He came into the season with 121 career sacks, second among active NFL players. He never got close to No. 122 as a Bronco.

On Friday, Denver coach Mike Shanahan said Rice was cut because "it didn't work out."

The Broncos thought Rice would be the answer, but it was clear the marriage was going south when he was put on the inactive list for two games in October.

The team publicly said Rice was inactive because he was still not healthy from an offseason shoulder injury while he was with Tampa Bay. He was cut by the Buccaneers in July. Still, Rice recently maintained that he was healthy, and he reiterated that Friday.

In the end, Rice leaves as offbeat as he was when came to town.

"I came to Denver like a gold miner, looking for fame and fortune, but I was never comfortable there," he said. "I couldn't get excited there. They took the sugar off my corn flakes."

Sounds to me like they wanted their siging bonus back..

Looks like mikey will do almost anything for money..

But in the end it is better that he is gone.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Rice has always been an egotistical chump. The team is better off without him.

sneakers
11-10-2007, 07:39 PM
You could tell the honeymoon was over after that first game he played in....it was all down hill from there.

Simple Jaded
11-10-2007, 08:19 PM
"I didn't really like their defensive philosophy," Rice said. "It was musical chairs. They played me at left end. I'm a right end. It just never worked there for me. I was under-utilized. I don't think defense is an emphasis there." ----Simeon Rice

This is BS! He did have got a few snaps at LE, so what? He got nearly all of his opportunities at RE and did nothing.

The Broncos gambled and lost, who cares (Besides Pat Bowlens accountants)? It was a gamble worth taking, imo.

Now if Rice goes somewhere and shows that first step burst I think he has lost, well then maybe I'm ready to blame the system....

broncofanatic1987
11-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Rice doesn't think he fit the "system" according to this quote from the Denver Post this morning. He also takes a shot at our priorities when it comes to defense here. You really gotta start to wonder what the heck is going on at Dove Valley.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7417909

He fit the system, he just thinks that they played him out of position and rotated the defensive linemen too much. He has a point. They probably would have been better off letting the starters play most of the game without rotating in and out. He is a right end in the sense that his skills are more suited for rushing the quarterback which is what is supposed to be the strength of a right end. In Bates' system, both ends are supposed to be able to focus on rushing the quarterback, although, the left end would have to deal with the tight end as well as the right offensive tackle more than a right end would have to deal with the tight end and the left offensive tackle.

They deactivated him for two games that he thought he was ready to play. They blamed his shoulder. He thought his shoulder was fine. Whatever the case, he didn't produce on the field in the games he did play and they decided it was best to move on without him. Apparently, he felt the same way.

Simple Jaded
11-10-2007, 08:33 PM
He fit the system, he just thinks that they played him out of position and rotated the defensive linemen too much. He has a point. They probably would have been better off letting the starters play most of the game without rotating in and out. He is a right end in the sense that his skills are more suited for rushing the quarterback which is what is supposed to be the strength of a right end. In Bates' system, both ends are supposed to be able to focus on rushing the quarterback, although, the left end would have to deal with the tight end as well as the right offensive tackle more than a right end would have to deal with the tight end and the left offensive tackle.

They deactivated him for two games that he thought he was ready to play. They blamed his shoulder. He thought his shoulder was fine. Whatever the case, he didn't produce on the field in the games he did play and they decided it was best to move on without him. Apparently, he felt the same way.

I don't know if I agree completely.

The Broncos best pass rusher is clearly Dumervil, who needs to be protected.

They also need to get Engelberger in there to play the run.

Moss had to be out there too.

Add all that to the fact that Rice played zero preseason action and needed to get in game shape, along with the fact that he's not the best run defender, and I can see why he wasn't getting the playing time he thinks he deserved....

TXBRONC
11-10-2007, 09:24 PM

As someone already mentioned Rice for the most part was not played out of position. Most of the snaps he took were at right end.

broncofanatic1987
11-10-2007, 09:45 PM
As someone already mentioned Rice for the most part was not played out of position. Most of the snaps he took were at right end.

Apparently he thinks the number of times he played at left end were were that number of times too many. Too bad for him. It was still the right move to cut him. He still has a point in saying that they misused him on the field and that they rotated the line too much. Both sides were apparently unsatisfied with the situation and agreed to part ways. Oh well.

Astrass
11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3107196&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Good luck....

Az Snake
11-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Now we KNOW we can run on Indy ALL DAY !!!

:lol:

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 01:53 PM
With three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney expected to miss several weeks because of a left foot injury, the Indianapolis Colts claimed Simeon Rice off waivers Monday.

Rice

Freeney, who injured his foot in the fourth quarter of Sunday night's 23-21 loss at San Diego when an unidentified Chargers' offensive lineman rolled up his leg, underwent tests Monday. The extent of the damage is not known, but Colts president Bill Polian said he believed Freeney could miss four or more games.

"We anticipate that Dwight will miss some significant amount of time," said Polian, who made the announcement on his weekly radio show Monday night. The news was later posted on the team's Web site.

The Colts signed Freeney in July to a six-year deal, paying an average of $12 million. He has 32 tackles and 3½ sacks on the season.

Rice, 34, was let go by the Broncos on Friday after he requested his release. The league's second-leading active sacker, Rice appeared in six games during his short-lived stint with the Broncos but was unhappy over his lack of playing time and the fact Denver coaches were using him at the unfamiliar left end position.

"We think it'll be a positive addition for us ... and hopefully it will pay some dividends for us down the road,'' Polian said during his radio show.

In 2001, his first season in Tampa Bay, Rice played under Tony Dungy when Dungy was the Bucs' head coach, so the two have history. In his six games with the Broncos, Rice, who underwent offseason surgery to correct a shoulder problem, had only seven tackles and did not record a sack.

The Colts (7-2) will assume the one-year contract Rice signed with Denver, which was worth $3 million but included a base salary of only $820,000. Prorated over the balance of the season, the deal will cost Indianapolis just $337,647 if it keeps Rice for the final seven weeks.

Concerns about his shoulder and his age, along with his performance with the Broncos, probably dissuaded some teams from considering him. But with Freeney possibly sidelined for a while, Rice could provide a boost to the Indianapolis pass rush and should be available to play right away.

For Rice, the move is an opportunity to join a playoff contender.

Rice was released by Tampa Bay on the eve of training camp after six seasons with the Bucs, when the team said that he had failed a physical examination because of the shoulder injury that limited him to only eight appearances in 2006. Rice contended that the release was because he refused to accept a reduction of his 2007 base salary of $7.25 million.

After visiting with several franchises as a free agent, Rice signed the one-year, $3 million contract with the Broncos on Sept. 3. Rice acknowledged recently that he regretted signing with the Broncos. He demonstrated some flashes of his trademark upfield quickness, but Denver officials privately questioned the soundness of his shoulder and hinted he still wasn't fully recovered.

Rice has long been one of the NFL's premier sack threats. His 121 career sacks trail only Michael Strahan of the New York Giants. He has eight seasons with double-digit sacks. His streak of five consecutive seasons with 10 or more sacks was ended last year because of the shoulder injury.

The normally durable Rice had missed just one game in his first 10 seasons in the league.

Rice was originally chosen by the Arizona Cardinals in the first round of the 1996 draft.

In 172 regular-season games, he has 590 tackles, 37 forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries, five interceptions and 60 pass deflections.