PDA

View Full Version : How to watch movies/shows on TV. ??

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 01:19 AM
The title doesn't explain anything well, but I don't words well.

I have Shows and Movies on my computer. I want to watch them on my TV. What's the best way to do this. I have a laptop, but that's the only thing we use it for, so I'd rather sell it. I put a movie on the thumb drive and stick it in my laptop and hook it to the TV. That just seems like a waste of a laptop. Is there anything else I can use instead? This is mainly for my wife. I watch everything on my computer anyway. I bought her a tablet with a mini HDMI port. But I really like the tablet and I'm going to keep it and buy her clothes instead. So that brings the problem back. What else could I use? I wish our Roku box simply had a USB port that would allow you to pull up and play mp4, wmp, mov, files, etc.

MileHighCrew
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
My smart TV and my blu ray player both have thumb drive spots and play files off sticks, that is how I watch them

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 07:49 AM
My smart TV and my blu ray player both have thumb drive spots and play files off sticks, that is how I watch them

Well I maybe I don't have a Smart TV and a Blu Ray Player, Mr Fancy Pants.

MileHighCrew
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
you can get a $50 smart blu ray player form Walmart that can handle these files. Or you can use a rock and stick and draw your own movies. Mr Fancy pants LOL you have a laptop you only use to watch movies.........

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 07:58 AM
you can get a $50 smart blu ray player form Walmart that can handle these files. Or you can use a rock and stick and draw your own movies. Mr Fancy pants LOL you have a laptop you only use to watch movies.........

I had never considered Blu Ray players because they were expensive and I had always had a PS3. I sold the PS3, but I might get another one. She's still not using it though.

I seriously had no idea Blu Ray players came down that much. Seriously? $50ish? I didn't know they came down below $100 at all, but I usually skip that isle anyway.

Maybe you are helpful, Mr Fancy Pants.

MileHighCrew
01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I even think there are select "smart" DVD players out there. $50 could easly solve your problems.

I'm in combat pants right now as I am at work, not sure they are fancy. Anyone can get a free pair, just have to sign up for them ;) 2087

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Does anyone know if I will be able to pull movies from a flash drive through the USB on a Blu Ray player and play a movie? Will it need to be a certain format?

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I even think there are select "smart" DVD players out there. $50 could easly solve your problems.

I'm in combat pants right now as I am at work, not sure they are fancy. Anyone can get a free pair, just have to sign up for them ;) 2087

Oh, God. They look like Marine pants. Turble.

MOtorboat
01-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Oh, God. They look like Marine pants. Turble.

There are cords that you can plug into your TV from your laptop that will do the same thing. It's just like hooking up a second monitor, although I've never needed to do it.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 08:16 AM
There are cords that you can plug into your TV from your laptop that will do the same thing. It's just like hooking up a second monitor, although I've never needed to do it.

That's some damn good pants then.

Slick
01-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I have a cheap $400 asus laptop that has an HDMI port on it Just connect to the Tv and enjoy.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 08:19 AM

I think I know what you're trying to say. That's what I've been doing. I was just looking for an alternative. Hopefully the Blu Ray player idea works. I just hate using a laptop I can sell for $200 or more for that one, sole purpose. If a $50 Blu Ray player can do it, I'd rather go that route. I just hadn't thought of the Blu Ray player idea yet.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm just looking for something else that would do the same job, besides a laptop.

MileHighCrew
01-08-2013, 09:04 AM
I have the same set up at work, here is a couple photos 20892090 this is an LG blu ray player on a very old TV we have in our shop.

Slick
01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm just looking for something else that would do the same job, besides a laptop.

I used to move shows and movies to a usb stick, then plug that in to my HDDVD player but I found that it was much more work than just connecting the laptop.

What kind of tablet did you get? if it is an Apple, you can get the Apple Tv thing that costs $100 and I believe it syncs wirelessly with your tablet to stream stuff on your TV.

CoachChaz
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
I use the thumb drive connection on my TV and my Blu-Ray player. If I dont feel like copying to the thumb drive, I just go HDMI. I recently got a full Blu Ray surround sound system for $150 and I've seen some really nice players for $75

MasterShake
01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
LG has some nice wireless internet bluray players with the USB ports and services like Youtube, CinemaNow, and VUDU for under $100. Its kind of the logic of low cell phone prices with those things, they keep the cost down because you are more than likely going to subscribe or use the services. That Netflix is a life saver when I need to keep my kid busy while I work or want to catch up on shows, and Cinema Now and VUDU both have pretty much every movie you would want for rent for one time fees or you can buy them.

For the TV shows and movies I stream from sites like ProjectFreeTV.com or when I have to use those off shore sites to watch football, I just use the mini-dv to HDMI port on my laptop and it works great. Just plug and play.

Thnikkaman
01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
To answer the question in the thread title.

You turn your TV on, tune it to the channel you want to watch, find a comfortable seat, and enjoy.

:welcome:

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
For the guys that say they have or do play movies off of a flash drive through their BR/DVD player, does it play certain formats? avi, mpeg, mp4, moved, etc..

Dzone
01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

MileHighCrew
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
For the guys that say they have or do play movies off of a flash drive through their BR/DVD player, does it play certain formats? avi, mpeg, mp4, moved, etc..

most of the formats are listed on the box when you are shopping. That is one reason I bought LG at home and work, it read the most types of files.

slim
01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I have Direct TV

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I have Direct TV

Gay.

slim
01-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Gay.

What do you have against Direct TV?

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 06:39 PM
What do you have against Direct TV?

Besides poor customer service, nothing really.

weazel
01-08-2013, 06:45 PM
depends what your movies are encoded with... if they are downloaded rips from torrent sites they are most likely xvid which most tv's and blue rays cant read.

MileHighCrew
01-08-2013, 06:52 PM
depends what your movies are encoded with... if they are downloaded rips from torrent sites they are most likely xvid which most tv's and blue rays cant read.

that isn't true, I use kick ass all the time and I have never once had a problem with my smart tv or my dvd player reading any files. most torrents are mkv, avi or mpeg4. All LG brand players read all these types of files

Ravage!!!
01-08-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking of just getting a computer to hook up to the living room TV, and thus watch everything that is streamed. Our entertainment systems and computers are all becoming pretty much so inter-mingled, that everything will be over the net anyway. So having a computer as your entertainment center really IS the way to go.

Cokeandpopcorn.eu Is awesome.

Canmore
01-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Besides poor customer service, nothing really.

Been with them since they went on the air and I've never had a problem with customer service. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Been with them since they went on the air and I've never had a problem with customer service. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Either that, or I was just unlucky. Still, it's hard to change your first impression.

Army Bronco
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Gay.

What do you have against Direct TV? Direct TV is the only way i get to watch my Broncos here in AZ. But this year there were alot of nationally televised games.

Dapper Dan
01-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Direct TV is the only way i get to watch my Broncos here in AZ. But this year there were alot of nationally televised games.

I used Cox Communications while in Phoenix. Much better, in my opinion. No Sunday Ticket, obviously.

weazel
01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
that isn't true, I use kick ass all the time and I have never once had a problem with my smart tv or my dvd player reading any files. most torrents are mkv, avi or mpeg4. All LG brand players read all these types of files

they dont play ALL those types of files. They may play some formats of each, but not all, plus they are always adding more formats to each so your TV wouldnt view the newest versions unless LG gives you updates for each one. Im not arguing, just stating a fact that video codecs change frequently and the TV software doesnt

slim
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Direct TV is the only way i get to watch my Broncos here in AZ. But this year there were alot of nationally televised games.

Yeah, I can't live without the ticket.

slim
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I used Cox Communications while in Phoenix. Much better, in my opinion. No Sunday Ticket, obviously.

Cox sucks .

Thnikkaman
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Cox sucks .

Suck Cox

slim
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Tom Brady Sucks Cox

Yep.

MileHighCrew
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
they dont play ALL those types of files. They may play some formats of each, but not all, plus they are always adding more formats to each so your TV wouldnt view the newest versions unless LG gives you updates for each one. Im not arguing, just stating a fact that video codecs change frequently and the TV software doesnt

maybe you are right but I have downloaded hundreds of movies and such and never once had an issue on any of the players I use at home or work

Freyaka
01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I've got a videocard with built in HDMI so I actually run sound/video from my pc to the tv as my second monitor. I'm using it right now to watch Sherlock on Netflix via my pc.

Dapper Dan
01-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Cox sucks .

Their TV/internet was awesome. Ten times better than DirecTV/AT&T. That was just awful.

Freyaka
01-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Their TV/internet was awesome. Ten times better than DirecTV/AT&T. That was just awful.

I always complained about them when I had them because they had horrible customer service....then I moved out in the country and got crappy 5mb fiber to prem that makes cox look like a god among internet providers...