PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Transactions Thread (merged)

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 01:31 PM
There ought to be a number of transactions in the next three weeks...

DenverBroncos.com twitter: Head Coach Josh McDaniels said after practice that Rulon Davis has been released.

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm guessing this is to make room for Smith.

ikillz0mbies
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Here are a couple more transactions:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13141534?source=rss

Rookie Thigpen latest to join running backs
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/17/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Related

* Training Camp
* Aug 17:
* Broncos WR Marshall hoping comparison pays
* Anxious Dawkins hopes for fast return
* Dove Valley Days: Orton remains in charge

Another day, another running back.

Because of a battered backfield, the Broncos have signed two running backs in four days to try to spread the workload in their practices.

Ryan Torain was waived after a knee injury last week. Rookie Marcus Thomas was signed to take Torain's spot on the roster and was in uniform against the San Francisco 49ers just two days later. And with Knowshon Moreno having suffered a sprained knee in Friday night's game, the Broncos on Sunday signed rookie Marcus Thigpen.

Thigpen, a former Indiana University running back, had been working at wide receiver with the Philadelphia Eagles before he was released to make room for the last of the team's signed draft picks on the roster this month.

"Just a crash course," coach Josh McDaniels said of getting the new players ready to practice. "(Running backs coach) Bobby Turner, give him credit for those guys being out here and being able to function in our system and our offense. They know what to do enough so we can put them in there."

Correll Buckhalter was held out of Sunday's practice as a precaution after getting four carries in Friday's game. LaMont Jordan has missed practice time as well.

Moreno is expected to miss at least one to two weeks and had practiced only for a week in camp before he suffered the injury against the 49ers. Still, McDaniels said he believed Moreno would be ready for the regular-season opener.

"He'll have plenty of time to get caught up to speed," McDaniels said. "Mentally, he's on top of things, and he'll continue to be on top of things mentally. We'll push late to get him going. I'm not concerned about it right now."

A rebound.

Preseason or not, rookie wide receiver Kenny McKinley said he got plenty of text messages and voice mail from family and friends about his 52-yard touchdown reception Friday.

McKinley had dropped a pass just minutes earlier — a third- down play in the previous series — but took off
Blog: All Things Broncos

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.
up the Broncos' sideline when Chris Simms started scrambling on a third-and-9 play from the Broncos' 48-yard line just before the two-minute warning.

"I came to the huddle right before that and said, 'I'm going to make it up for that last play,' and Chris gave me the chance to do it," McKinley said. "I know Chris from practice. He'll throw it anytime, so when I saw him scrambling, I just got open. My guy peeked at the quarterback, and I just took off."

Footnotes.

To make room for Thigpen on the roster, the Broncos released guard Pat Murray. . . . A week after criticizing what had been written about offensive tackle Ryan Harris' shoulder injury, McDaniels answered a question Sunday about criticism levied at QB Kyle Orton with: "I don't know. I didn't read anything." . . . The Broncos practiced for a little more than two hours Sunday. "(Sunday) was geared toward trying to correct some of the things we saw from our team Friday night that we didn't like," McDaniels said. "There's a light at the end of the tunnel in a lot of different areas. We've just got to do the little things right."

Jeff Legwold, The Denver Post

ikillz0mbies
08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9947768/Patriots-trade-DL-Smith-to-Broncos

New England has traded defensive lineman Le Kevin Smith and a 2010 seventh-round draft pick to Denver for a 2010 fifth-round selection, a source told FOXSports.com.

The 6-foot-3, 308-pound Smith played his first three NFL seasons in New England, appearing in 15 games last season as part of the team's defensive line rotation. He will bolster depth in Denver, which was seeking defensive line help in its transition to a 3-4 scheme.

By acquiring Denver's fifth-round selection, the Patriots are assured of keeping their 2010 fourth-round pick. New England recently sent its 2010 third- and fourth-rounders to Oakland for linebacker Derrick Burgess. The trade, though, was made with the condition that a fifth-round pick could be substituted for the fourth-rounder if New England later acquired one. The Patriots traded their own 2010 fifth-round pick earlier this year to Tampa Bay for tight end Alex Smith

Lonestar
08-17-2009, 09:10 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Monday acquired defensive lineman Le Kevin Smith from the New England Patriots in a trade that included undisclosed draft choices, it was announced.

The club also on Monday signed free-agent running back Marcus Thigpen and waived defensive lineman Rulon Davis along with guard Pat Murray.

Smith (6-foot-3, 308 pounds) is a fourth-year player who spent his first three NFL seasons with the Patriots, who selected him in the sixth round (206th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft from the University of Nebraska. He has played 31 career games (0 starts), totaling 25 tackles (12 solo) and one fumble recovery.

In 2008, Smith appeared in 15 games for New England and posted a career-best 21 tackles (10 solo) and one fumble recovery.

The defensive lineman played 49 career games (35 starts) at Nebraska, where he registered the seventh-most tackles for a loss (36) in school history. He posted at least 40 tackles in all four seasons with the Cornhuskers.

Honored as Georgia Player of the Year by USA Today at Stratford Academy in Macon, Ga., Smith was born on July 21, 1982.

Thigpen (5-foot-9, 193 pounds) is a rookie running back who joins the Broncos after he was waived by Philadelphia on Aug. 4. He entered the NFL with the Eagles on May 1 as a college free agent from the University of Indiana.

In four seasons with the Hoosiers, Thigpen became the first player in school history with more than 1,000 career rushing yards (1,621), receiving yards (1,028) and kickoff return yards (2,009). His 2,009 career kickoff return yards (81 ret., 24.9 avg., 3 TDs) ranked second in school history and fifth in Big Ten Conference annals.

He finished his career at Indiana with 4,658 all-purpose yards and 21 touchdowns, totals that ranked third and tied for eighth, respectively, in school history. As a rusher, Thigpen averaged 4.8 yards per carry (337-1,621) and had nine rushing scores.

Named a first-team All-American by ESPN.com at Indiana in 2006 after leading the nation in kickoff return average (30.1 yds., 24-723, 3 TDs), Thigpen attended Mumford High School in Detroit. He was born on May 15, 1986.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=9238

underrated29
08-17-2009, 09:11 PM
not cool timing JR. You gave me a heart attack!

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47658

Lonestar
08-17-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47658

thanks I'll move it.. I was in a hurry to get it posted..

Lonestar
08-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer
ENGLEWOOD (AP) ― Click to enlarge1 of 2
Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels
The Denver Broncos needed more muscle and hustle in their defensive line, and they knew right where to go to get it, acquiring versatile end Le Kevin Smith from New England for a fifth-round pick on Monday.

The Patriots, loaded with talent and depth along the defensive line, needed a fifth-round draft pick to send to the Oakland Raiders to complete their recent trade for defensive end Derrick Burgess, and the Broncos needed more athleticism and strength up front to make their conversion to a 3-4 scheme successful.

That point was driven home in their preseason opener at San Francisco, where the Broncos, who started free agent Ryan McBean at the five-technique, or power end, spot, allowed the Niners' backup running backs to average 5.1 yards a carry.

"We're just trying to improve the football team in every way we can," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "If there's a player at any position that could help us or we feel could improve our depth or talent, at any position, we would take a look at him. He certainly is a guy that we've evaluated and feel like he could fit what we're doing."

Smith is a versatile 6-foot-3, 308-pound player from Nebraska who appeared in 28 games as a backup the last two seasons with the Patriots, who drafted him in the sixth round in 2006. McDaniels is familiar with Smith from his days as an assistant on Bill Belichick's staff in New England.

"Denver has a similar scheme to New England and there's some familiarity between him and the coach," Smith's agent, Adisa Bakari, told The Associated Press. "He's a guy who can play both the traditional 4-3 at defensive tackle and also has the athleticism and size to be a 3-4 defensive end.

"That's a skill set that's not very common. The 3-4 relies on an athletic, 300-pound defensive end and they don't make a lot of those anymore."

Smith, however, was expendable in New England, where the defensive line is the team's deepest position. He was summoned off the field during the Patriots' practice Monday morning in Foxborough, Mass.

"It's a situation where they know the player, they've been with the player," Belichick said after practice. "You probably want to trade for somebody you know. I'm sure that's part of it."

To make room for Smith, the Broncos released defensive end Rulon Davis, an undrafted rookie.

Smith was expected to fly to Denver for a physical and join the team for its Tuesday afternoon practice at Dove Valley.

"I figure it will be another strength to the D-line," McBean said. "He has to be a strength to the team. Any help is good help."

McDaniels now has four former Patriots on the roster that's he's brought with him to Denver -- Jabar Gaffney, LaMont Jordan, Lonie Paxton and Smith -- plus holdover Daniel Graham.

Smith is the first defensive player from that group of former Patriots.

"We need all the help we can get," defensive lineman Marcus Thomas said. "He's a veteran. He knows the scheme."

"It can't hurt," defensive linemen Nic Clemons agreed. "He brings experience."

Along with athleticism and bulk at the power defensive end spot, two essential elements of any successful 3-4 scheme.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.trade.mcdaniels.2.1132520.html