PDA

View Full Version : Per Adam Schefter, Broncos and Pats make a trade

honz
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Just saw this on twitter from Adam Schefter...

Denver and New England are dealing. Denver just acquired DE LeKevin Smith from the Patriots. Don't know terms but know Broncos needed D help

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Just saw this on twitter from Adam Schefter...

6-3, 308, 4-year player out of Nebraska. I know the Patriots depth chart hasn't meant a whole lot in the past, but he's second on it behind Ty Warren at left end.

NightTrainLayne
08-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Wonder who we gave up?

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Wonder who we gave up?

Wouldn't it be interesting if it was "cash considerations," with all the speculation that Bowlen is out of money...

Tned
08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Interesting. I would guess a draft pick, likely late round or conditional mid to late.

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Interesting. I would guess a draft pick, likely late round or conditional mid to late.

I can't get MHR to load...what does his site say? He gets official press releases from the team.

NightTrainLayne
08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I can't get MHR to load...what does his site say? He gets official press releases from the team.

I doubt there's been a release yet since it's a Schefter tweet.

Northman
08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Darn, i was hoping it would be Brady. Yea right. lol

NightTrainLayne
08-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Darn, i was hoping it would be Brady. Yea right. lol

I picked up Brady yesterday in a keeper league draft. .. :laugh: . .. everyone was like "what? Brady was a Free Agent? Who let him go?"

:laugh:

I won't rat out who it was, but his name rhymes with Claymore.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2009, 09:48 AM

They are saying nothing more than what is here

Flatinum
08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
If true, looks like he was on his way out anyway.

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_patriots_web_17_08-17-09_GCFDT07_v2.38accba.html

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I picked up Brady yesterday in a keeper league draft. .. :laugh: . .. everyone was like "what? Brady was a Free Agent? Who let him go?"

:laugh:

I won't rat out who it was, but his name rhymes with Claymore.

Turns out that dumb commissioner did it...because a certain person who should not be named :claymore: forgot to pick his keepers for the draft...so its not really the dumb commissioner's fault...

Tempus Fugit
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
The Patriots need to get a 5th round pick because of the Burgess trade. I don't know if they were able to get that for Smith, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was at least the starting point from New England's side.

As a follow up, I'm hearing rumors that the Patriots got the Broncos 5th in exchange for Smith and a Patriots 7th. That's unsubstantiated at this point, however.

underrated29
08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
As long as its not marshall.

I know that would be dumb on our part but then again after this offseason......

Tempus Fugit
08-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Ok, it's now been substantiated:

New England has traded defensive lineman Le Kevin Smith and a 2010 seventh-round draft pick to Denver for a 2010 fifth-round selection, a source told FOXSports.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9947768/Patriots-trade-DL-Smith-to-Broncos

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 10:41 AM
308lbs I guess we will have to take the rollouts out of the playbook but lets not panic until we see what kind of arm the guy has.

I'm sorry I just cant help myself sometimes

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
308lbs I guess we will have to take the rollouts out of the playbook but lets not panic until we see what kind of arm the guy has.

If Jamarcus can do it...

TXBRONC
08-17-2009, 10:58 AM

You never know he might be pretty nimble for guy who weighs 308lbs. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13143905?source=rss

The Broncos have fortified their defensive front by acquiring Le Kevin Smith, a five-technique defensive end, from the New England Patriots.

"The 3-4 defensive end requires a special technique and special athlete," said Smith's agent, Adisa Bakari. "It requires the size of a defensive tackle and the agility of athleticism of a large defensive end. It's hard to play the 3-4 without one. It's why those guys go so high in the draft. Le Kevin is athletic enough to play the end and strong enough to play over center."

It is not yet clear what the Patriots received in return although they were seeking a fifth-round draft pick to send to the Oakland Raiders in order to complete their deal earlier this month for defensive end Derrick Burgess.

Apparently, the Broncos became concerned enough with their defensive performance in their first preseason game against the San Francisco 49ers to seek reinforcements for their front seven.

The Broncos started Ryan McBean, who spent the past two seasons on practice squads, at the five-technique position. McBean had a sack, but the 49ers, playing without star tailback Frank Gore, also had 76 yards rushing on 15 carries, a 5.1 yard average.

A 6-foot-3, 308-pound former Nebraska Cornhusker, Smith was a rotational player the past two years with the Patriots, appearing in 28 games.

He was the Patriots' sixth-round draft pick in 2006.

"Le Kevin expects to have a chance, and hopes to earn a starting job there," said Bakari, who also represents Broncos safety Josh Barrett.

UnderArmour
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Whew. We screwed the Raiders and got a decent D-Lineman. GJ Front Office.

Traveler
08-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Wait! But now the Faid will get our high 5th rounder because we are gonna suck this year.

*sarcasm*

Dirk
08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
The Denver Broncos acquired defensive end Le Kevin Smith and a 2010 draft pick from the New England Patriots on Monday.

The Broncos got Smith and a seventh-round pick in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2010 draft, according to FoxSports.com.

Smith played in 15 games last season for the Patriots.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4404535&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

shank
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
If Jamarcus can do it...
he can't

nj10
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Wonder who we gave up?

Kyle Orton? :pray:

TXBRONC
08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Kyle Orton? :pray:

I will never say that I am capable of knowing the thoughts ominpotent God, but I'll roll the dice and says that probably wont happen. :D

Dean
08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok, it's now been substantiated:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9947768/Patriots-trade-DL-Smith-to-Broncos

If he is even a backup for us, he is worth a fifth round pick.

Simple Jaded
08-17-2009, 03:26 PM
The Denver Broncos trade malcontent Tackle Ryan Clady to New England for Unsung and Underrated LeKevin Smith. Broncos also receiver New England's 2010 No1 pick, which has already been sent to the St Louis Rams for future considerations (Believed to be the highest rated FG holder in the 2010 draft). Don't blame the Broncos, Ryan Clady had his own agenda.......

claymore
08-17-2009, 03:34 PM
The Denver Broncos trade malcontent Tackle Ryan Clady to New England for Unsung and Underrated LeKevin Smith. Broncos also receiver New England's 2010 No1 pick, which has already been sent to the St Louis Rams for future considerations (Believed to be the highest rated FG holder in the 2010 draft). Don't blame the Broncos, Ryan Clady had his own agenda.......

Good, screw Clady. Lets trade Royal too.

Tned
08-17-2009, 03:36 PM

While we're at it, why not trade Cutler...

Oh yea, I forgot....

Simple Jaded

I can't wait til Ryan Harris and Peyton Hillis are some other teams problem, too.......

Bill Devaroe
IU love this move. LeKevin is going to be an absolute:elefant: best!!1

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
IU love this move. LeKevin is going to be an absolute:elefant: best!!1

I've heard alot of experts claim he is about to break out and be the next Peppers. :laugh:

G_Money
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Considering Belichick wouldn't trade Cassel to McDaniels for the better package, why would he help us out by giving us an "underrated" DE? :huh:

Is Le Kevin's spleen about to explode out of his abdominal cavity like a chest-burster in Alien?

At least we have a guy with experience with that I guess.

Paging, Dr. Simms to the ER, Doctor Simms...

~G

claymore
08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Considering Belichick wouldn't trade Cassel to McDaniels for the better package, why would he help us out by giving us an "underrated" DE? :huh:

Is Le Kevin's spleen about to explode out of his abdominal cavity like a chest-burster in Alien?

At least we have a guy with experience with that I guess.

Paging, Dr. Simms to the ER, Doctor Simms...

~G

I bet he kicks Clady in the shin during practice.

NightTrainLayne
08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Geez. .. with fans like this. . .

claymore
08-17-2009, 03:49 PM

They need to get their shit together?

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM

I was talking to someone else and I just watched the 1st half of the 49er game over (without beer :) )

1. Orton looks retarded and bad. There is just no way around it. Hopefully he picks it up or were ******. Any pass rush and he becomes a deer in the head lights and just throws instantly to his primary wr regardless of coverage.

2. The inside run D looks soft and slow........somethings never change

3. The sacks were for the most part coverage sacks......so much for the improved pass rush.

4. The defense looked blitz package confused.

5. Our secondary is the shit.

In closing Orton and Nolen better get shit figured out and fast or were in deep shit.

Lonestar
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
I was talking to someone else and I just watched the 1st half of the 49er game over (without beer :) )

1. Orton looks retarded and bad. There is just no way around it. Hopefully he picks it up or were ******. Any pass rush and he becomes a deer in the head lights and just throws instantly to his primary wr regardless of coverage.

2. The inside run D looks soft and slow........somethings never change

3. The sacks were for the most part coverage sacks......so much for the improved pass rush.

4. The defense looked blitz package confused.

5. Our secondary is the shit.

In closing Orton and Nolen better get shit figured out and fast or were in deep shit.

Either the "coverage" sacks were do to the secondary being good or the following statement can't be acurate.

"5. Our secondary is the shit".

Not sure you can have it both ways.

NightTrainLayne
08-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Either the "coverage" sacks were do to the secondary being good or the following statement can't be acurate.

Not to mention we never got any coverage sacks last year. I'll take some sacks HOWEVER we get them.

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 04:44 PM

"is the shit" as in the bomb as in ******* silly good

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Correction the Elvis sack was all Elvis. Blew up a blocker (rb) kudos.

Still a lot of work to do before week 1.

TXBRONC
08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Correction the Elvis sack was all Elvis. Blew up a blocker (rb) kudos.

Still a lot of work to do before week 1.

They are a work in progress. Will they rank up there with likes of Pittsburgh? Not this year. However, with what I saw against the 49ers it gives me hope that will be 10 times more effect than last year's defense.

BroncoWave
08-17-2009, 05:01 PM

You act like this is a bad thing? Like others have said, we'll take sacks however we can get them and if that means we will rack up on coverage sacks this year, so be it!

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
They are a work in progress. Will they rank up there with likes of Pittsburgh? Not this year. However, with what I saw against the 49ers it gives me hope that will be 10 times more effect than last year's defense.

Im as hopefull as the next fan but what about last night got you excited about the 1st string d? Honesty question.

Was it the multipule 3rd and longs they gave up. The broken coverages? The long runs up the gut?

Were there some signs of change? Yes there were it was not all bad but certainly nothing to get excited about IMHO

Its early and I'm not by any means throwing in the towel but game one was what it was. And what it was not is acceptable Bronco football.

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
You act like this is a bad thing? Like others have said, we'll take sacks however we can get them and if that means we will rack up on coverage sacks this year, so be it!

I doubt we can count on coverage sacks against teams who have game planned not to mention have more ability then the 49ers. Better teams will carve up our defense as it stands today.

NightTrainLayne
08-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Im as hopefull as the next fan but what about last night got you excited about the 1st string d? Honesty question.

Was it the multipule 3rd and longs they gave up. The broken coverages? The long runs up the gut?

Were there some signs of change? Yes there were it was not all bad but certainly nothing to get excited about IMHO

Its early and I'm not by any means throwing in the towel but game one was what it was. And what it was not is acceptable Bronco football.

First three drives = 1 FG, and two punts. I'll take that every time.

First TD was on a 3 yard drive.

They weren't perfect, but no way Slowik's defense slows anybody down that well.

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 05:10 PM

That is fair enough

OldschoolFreak
08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, the D seemed to do ok and kept the points mostly off the board but two things are not good signs:

1) 5.1 YPC? That's a problem.
2) Those 3rd and 14 conversions just about had me ripping my head off. That's one adjustment that needs to happen pronto.

G_Money
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM

1st 3 quarters, Preseason game 2, Dallas, 2008:
- 11 plays, 24 yards, punt
- 3 plays, 6 yards, punt
- 3 plays, -2 yards, punt
- 8 plays, 65 yards, TD in 2 minute drill
- 9 plays, 56 yards, FG
- 3 plays -1 yard, punt
- 3 plays, 1 yard, punt

Damn that Slowk D is stingy, and against a good offense too! They got lucky on that 2 minute drill but we killed them with our play-stuffing prowess. Ph34r Slowik! :tsk:

~G

Magnificent Seven
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
McDaniels might get fired in this season. WTF? LeKevin Smith Who????

BroncoWave
08-17-2009, 05:37 PM

We traded a 5th rounder for him. BFD. :rolleyes:

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Seriously...I mean, seriously?

Good lord...

MOtorboat
08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
We traded a 5th rounder for him. BFD. :rolleyes:

And got a draft pick back...maybe that seventh-rounder is the next Peyton Hillis...

Rick
08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh shit no, did we really just send a 5th rounder for a 300 pound possible starter.

Damn WTH will we do.

Dortoh
08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
http://threadbombing.com/data/media/54/puppet_facepalm.gif

JDL
08-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Seems like it could be an ok move since we didn't do a lot in the draft or free agency to shore up our DL and it is probably really showing now after Training Camp and Preseason Game 1. It seems really unfathomable to me that Peterson is our starting DE. That isn't what you really want, no offense to KP, but he's been around long enough to know what he is and that is a backup player in the league (some might even suggest not even that.)

Normally, I'd be a little irritated trading a future pick for a guy that is in the last year of his contract, but I guess it depends on the state of the CBA. If the uncapped year goes ahead, then we will still have control over him and that will be good. If McDaniels is really confident in him, perhaps a short extension would be in order, but I doubt we are looking to do any deals (similar to what Robert Kraft said about the Pats) until after the CBA is resolved. So, ultimately this may become a 1 year rental.

Should at least come in and help these DL understand their roles better. Definitely like that he knows the NT and DE positions in the 3-4 and that should be a big benefit to the other DL. Will be interesting to see the next released depth chart and where Smith ends up on it.

Rick
08-17-2009, 06:25 PM
With his experiance in the system I just want him to come in and teach Thomas something.

A 300 pound Thomas with his athletism knowing his stuff as 3-4 DE could be a real beast.

G_Money
08-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Oh shit no, did we really just send a 5th rounder for a 300 pound possible starter.

Damn WTH will we do.
Yep. I have no problem with the move. Belichick knows D, though, so it makes me automatically wonder what's wrong with Le Kevin. For a 5th rounder though, I'll take it. A DL who can play in a 3-4, even in rotation, is worth that.

Now if Baker turns into somebody and Thomas can adapt to the new system we might have some sort of reasonable facsimile of a front line. That's the goal, and as long as we're working towards it it's okay with me.

I do still wonder what giant flaw Le Kevin's gonna be displaying for us shortly, tho.

~G

rcsodak
08-17-2009, 06:33 PM
With his experiance in the system I just want him to come in and teach Thomas something.

A 300 pound Thomas with his athletism knowing his stuff as 3-4 DE could be a real beast.

Well, if nothing else.....

...the two of them can have a backflipping competition. :rolleyes:

Smith was supposed to be 'all-that' at NU...but sucked, for the most part. I sure hope he's made improvements.

Rick
08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, if nothing else.....

...the two of them can have a backflipping competition. :rolleyes:

Smith was supposed to be 'all-that' at NU...but sucked, for the most part. I sure hope he's made improvements.

I think the defense will be MUCH better this year than the last 2...but if not that contest could be a nice distraction from the game.

rcsodak
08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Yep. I have no problem with the move. Belichick knows D, though, so it makes me automatically wonder what's wrong with Le Kevin. For a 5th rounder though, I'll take it. A DL who can play in a 3-4, even in rotation, is worth that.

Now if Baker turns into somebody and Thomas can adapt to the new system we might have some sort of reasonable facsimile of a front line. That's the goal, and as long as we're working towards it it's okay with me.

I do still wonder what giant flaw Le Kevin's gonna be displaying for us shortly, tho.

~G

Crap, G.....did you NOT read his very words?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4404535&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlineshttp://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_patriots_web_17_08-17-09_GCFDT07_v2.38accba.html

Let me help:
..d'uh, I fingered i best come in and learn how to study, ya know...like offenses....and stuff....and the rite way, too. Cuz, ya know.....my rookie contract is coming to an end, and i could sure use anudder one, ya know?

He listened to the hype on him back in college, and didn't come close to living up to it.

Timmy!
08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
This forum is hardly worth posting in anymore. What a retarded move. Our coach can't do anything right. A 5th for a 7th and a potential starter? What a retarded trade. *insert other anti Bronco/McDaniels, Cutler is god, is it basketball season yet here drivel here* :rolleyes:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-17-2009, 07:07 PM
The Broncos got a seventh rounder and a potential starter at left defensive end for our team by giving up a fifth rounder. Either way, I think he's going to be a nice rotational guy on our roster. Rulon Davis was cut, so that takes away one of the DE's he had to compete against here. Pedescleaux might make the team, but I'm feeling a PS on him. I'm not sure about Askew and Clemons is nothing special.

Kenny Peterson, Ronald Fields and Ryan McBean make the team. I assume Marcus Thomas and Chris Baker will as well. Carlton Powell should make it because of his versatility, but it's possible Smith's acquisition might spend the end for him. Smith can play inside and outside. As well as Baker too, considering he was a 5-technique at Hampton.

I'm not sure how many defensive lineman we plan on carrying, but I'm guessing about 7 it where it'll be at. Maybe eight. Smith isn't special, but he has two years of experience in a rotation and understands the system. He is probably one of our better options for right now. Not a shabby deal.

Lonestar
08-17-2009, 07:17 PM
the worst I see out of this is he is a rotational DE to spell the starters.. we all know that playing at 5280' over 300 pounds for the entire game is most likely not going to happen..

5th round Draft choices do not have the best odds of making a decent team..

So fresh bodies pounding on that OLINE on the other side of the LOS sooner or later gonna wear them down..

the fourth quarter in Den should be all ours.. we should never lose a game in the fourth quarter if they are in shape and from what I see happening this year they will be..

horsepig
08-17-2009, 09:42 PM
The good news, Smith was a monster for the Bugeaters, the bad news, Smith only seemed to really play about 25% of the time.

PS: Bugeaters=Cornhuskers original nickname, for the uninitiated.

NameUsedBefore
08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Ronald Fields should demand a trade for this treachery.

Bill Devaroe
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM
everyone just com down. This leKevin is going to be a best you watch. Mc D nos what he is doing. just have a little patecne and wait for the players to understd his sceme.
this guy will be good hes intangbles are off the charts.