PDA

View Full Version : This is why Manning will be the MVP

sneakers
01-06-2013, 12:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/DKQVj.png

Dzone
01-06-2013, 12:39 AM
If Manning doesnt win it, then something is wrong. I saw an interview with AP today and he said in his mind he is the MVP.. Not very humble. I cant imagine Peyton Manning saying something like that

cmc0605
01-06-2013, 02:13 AM
I've given this some objective thought, and I truly believe Manning is more deserving of MVP while AP should get comeback player. Coming back from the type of injury AP had has been much more impressive to me than a switch of team and the stuff Manning was dealing with. But Manning has led a better team this year, and IMO has been the most valuable contributor to one of the top super bowl contenders this year.

aberdien
01-06-2013, 02:17 AM
I think AD deserves it. We made the playoffs without Peyton last year.

Poet
01-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Peyton Manning brought his entire ******* offense to Denver. He's a top five QB and he brought his offense with him. He instantly made two young WR's go from good to great. I think he's the MVP.

Chef Zambini
01-06-2013, 03:05 AM
the voting is over but based on APs VALUE to his team in the play-offs, PFM is the clear cut choice.
BTW, only ONE running back who acheived 2K yards in a single season, followed that up with a superbowl victory! Only ONE in the entire history of the NFL !

PFM is going to take his team to the big dance! APs team wont be on the dancefloor.
did somebody say "value" ?

BroncoWave
01-06-2013, 03:16 AM
If Manning doesnt win it, then something is wrong. I saw an interview with AP today and he said in his mind he is the MVP.. Not very humble. I cant imagine Peyton Manning saying something like that

You're REALLY taking that AP interview out of context. The reporter kept trying to get him to make his case for MVP and he said he wouldn't do it so the reporter asked him if he thinks he is the MVP so he just said "In my mind I am". I don't see anything wrong with that. He was trying to brush it off but the interviewer wouldn't let him.

CrazyHorse
01-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Peterson has the yards but lacks the scores. I would still give it to him. If it's going to a quarterback though I'd say Aaron Rodgers. I think the reason Rodgers won't get it is because this year is seen as a disappointment compared to last year. He put up better numbers than even Manning.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
I think AD deserves it. We made the playoffs without Peyton last year.

I can't tell if you're meaning this sarcastic or not.

I keep seeing that argument and I don't buy it at all. We made the playoffs because the rest of the division sucked. Now, we made the playoffs because we were the best team in the AFC, and maybe the NFL. Peyton Manning makes you a Super Bowl contender, Adrian Peterson does not. The V in MVP stands for Value. There's nothing more valuable than a guy that gives you a chance to win the Super Bowl.

MasterShake
01-06-2013, 09:32 AM
AP is the best player in the league, but Manning is the MVP. I think there is a difference. Peterson almost broke a record and got his team in, but Manning set up his team to be Superbowl favorites. There is nothing more valuable than that.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM

I keep seeing that argument and I don't buy it at all. We made the playoffs because the rest of the division sucked. Now, we made the playoffs because we were the best team in the AFC, and maybe the NFL. Peyton Manning makes you a Super Bowl contender, Adrian Peterson does not. The V in MVP stands for Value. There's nothing more valuable than a guy that gives you a chance to win the Super Bowl.

Minnesota Vikings have maybe 2 wins without AP.
Denver still makes the playoffs this year without manning based on our defense alone.
I vote AP.
Great season from both.

Chef Zambini
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Sorry AP,
"AD now stands for Already Defeated.
PFM is Playing For More.
that makes him more Valuable.

SR
01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Denver still makes the playoffs this year without manning based on our defense alone.
I vote AP.
Great season from both.

I doubt that very much

SR
01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Sorry AP,
"AD now stands for Already Defeated.
PFM is Playing For More.
that makes him more Valuable.

That's the most ridiculous line of thinking

Chef Zambini
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
es, its far more rediculous than saying the broncos would still be in the play-offs without PFM.
thanks for the brilliant assesment.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I doubt that very much

I don't know, their defense is plain average, and Ponder has been inept all year. Peterson was the only way they actually moved the ball throughout the flow of the game.

SR
01-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't know, their defense is plain average, and Ponder has been inept all year. Peterson was the only way they actually moved the ball throughout the flow of the game.

I agree there but I still think they win 5-7 games even if AP isn't there.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I posted the following in another thread this morning, but it also fits here. I totally agree with the points in the article.

from article:

But this argument isn’t about which player performed better, it’s about which one is most valuable to their team, taking the unit to a higher level do to his play.

When Peterson went over 100 yards this season, the Vikings only went 6-4 – his personal success didn’t always translate into team success. On the other hand, when Manning passed for 300 yards, the Broncos went 7-2, and 5-1 in games he tossed for three touchdowns as well. For Manning, individual success almost always means success for the team, because as a quarterback, his numbers are a product of connecting with multiple receivers. This season marked only the sixth time in franchise history the Broncos had four players over 500 yards receiving; Manning understands the importance of getting many people involved, making the offense more versatile and difficult to defend.

What sets Manning apart from Peterson is his outward leadership of the team; specifically, the offense. The old gunslinger knows what it takes to attain greatness in the NFL, being named MVP four previous times and winning a Super Bowl, and he’s pushed his teammates new and old to buy in to his system. They’ve done just that, taking on the intricate and sophisticated offense in an incredibly short period of time. When the game goes to commercial, Manning is there huddling his offense up and going over the small details that, when mastered, push a team beyond good and into the realm of greatness. That offense is the second highest scoring group in all of football and the scary thing for opponents is they’re only continuing to improve.

full article - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/01/06/denver-broncos-peyton-manning-must-be-nfl-mvp-over-adrian-peterson/

SR
01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Considering all Peyton does for this team I find it hard to say AP deserves the MVP more.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Considering all Peyton does for this team I find it hard to say AP deserves the MVP more.

Totally agree - from the article I posted:

But this argument isn’t about which player performed better, it’s about which one is most valuable to their team, taking the unit to a higher level do to his play.

SR
01-06-2013, 01:43 PM
It's gotta be Peyton.

MasterShake
01-06-2013, 02:46 PM
I vote AP.
Great season from both.

I get what you are saying to a point, but if we are going to go with "what if's" I have a good one.

What if you asked every team sitting at home right now watching the playoffs (up to an including Cincinnati and Minnesota) if they could pick anyone to be on their team next season then who would they pick? I have to imagine Manning would get the edge in most of those situations. Not because Manning is better than AP, but because you need an elite QB playing at a high level to win in this version of the NFL. If 4k plus passing and 37 TDs gets you a 1st round bye and an 11 game win streak, but over 2k rushing yards gets you a wild card loss I just don't see the argument.

All that being said, if Peterson gets the nod I'm not gonna throw my hands up in the air. Dude had a fantastic season.

T.K.O.
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
It should be Manning .....simply because we finally have a QB that can let the fans move on from the loss of Kyle Orton:D

Dapper Dan
01-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I get what you are saying to a point, but if we are going to go with "what if's" I have a good one.

What if you asked every team sitting at home right now watching the playoffs (up to an including Cincinnati and Minnesota) if they could pick anyone to be on their team next season then who would they pick? I have to imagine Manning would get the edge in most of those situations. Not because Manning is better than AP, but because you need an elite QB playing at a high level to win in this version of the NFL. If 4k plus passing and 37 TDs gets you a 1st round bye and an 11 game win streak, but over 2k rushing yards gets you a wild card loss I just don't see the argument.

All that being said, if Peterson gets the nod I'm not gonna throw my hands up in the air. Dude had a fantastic season.

I agree. I won't be upset if AP wins. A lot of people say they will be mad if AP doesn't get it. I don't understand that. It's a close race. I'm happy with AP getting offensive POY.

aberdien
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM

For serious.

The division still sucked this year, and sure Peyton made it much easier and he is also deserving of MVP, but until we make it to the Superbowl, I give the nod to AP because take him off of that team and they don't even make the playoffs. Take Peyton off of our team and we would still have a decent chance at making the playoffs.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
For serious.

The division still sucked this year, and sure Peyton made it much easier and he is also deserving of MVP, but until we make it to the Superbowl, I give the nod to AP because take him off of that team and they don't even make the playoffs. Take Peyton off of our team and we would still have a decent chance at making the playoffs.

Take AP off of the Vikings and stick them in the AFC West and they probably still make the playoffs.

aberdien
01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Take AP off of the Vikings and stick them in the AFC West and they probably still make the playoffs.

Nah.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
If voters for the NFL Most Valuable Player Award are struggling to choose between Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning and Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson, can the players respective answers about whether they should be MVP count?

Check out the contrast between Manning and Peterson when asked if they’re the MVP.

Manning following the Broncos’ final regular-season game Sunday: “Well, certainly it’s about our team.”

Peterson to Peter King: “In my heart, I believe I’m the MVP. Whether I win it or not, I feel I’m the MVP.”

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/03/mvp-talk-peterson-boasts-manning-demurs/17923/

Dzone
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Anyone who thinks AP deserves the award over PFM needs to have your head examined lol

CrazyHorse
01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
No one has pointed out why Aaron Rodgers doesn't deserve it more than Peyton Manning.

gregbroncs
01-06-2013, 11:04 PM
No one has pointed out why Aaron Rodgers doesn't deserve it more than Peyton Manning.Because his team performed worse than last season. And his #'s are only marginally better. The only reason Peyton is not already hands down the winner is because of the outstanding season AP had. It's difficult not to give it too a guy that had a season like AP.

I don't care which one gets it. I think they both are very deserving.

Tebowtime2011
01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
If Manning doesnt win it, then something is wrong. I saw an interview with AP today and he said in his mind he is the MVP.. Not very humble. I cant imagine Peyton Manning saying something like that he actually said he is his own MVP. But you're right AP isn't humble but you dont need to be humble for MVP or when you're that good.

Tebowtime2011
01-08-2013, 08:26 PM
I honestly think AP deserved it because when a defense puts 8 or 9 people in the box and he can still break huge ones it's amazing. The only help he gets is his offensive line there is absolutely no pass threat. In a time where running the football is undervalued and he can lead his team to the playoffs and a 10-6 record is why I think he should be MVP. Ps during the regular season AP had 6.04 yards per carry while christian ponder had 5.94 yards per pass.

Dzone
01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
6.04 yrds a carry is insane...oh well, since AP said he is already the NFL MVP in his mind, give it to Manning..:salute:

SR
01-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I honestly think AP deserved it because when a defense puts 8 or 9 people in the box and he can still break huge ones it's amazing. The only help he gets is his offensive line there is absolutely no pass threat. In a time where running the football is undervalued and he can lead his team to the playoffs and a 10-6 record is why I think he should be MVP. Ps during the regular season AP had 6.04 yards per carry while christian ponder had 5.94 yards per pass.

There was a pass threat and their offense was a little more balanced before Harvin went out, then AP and Kyle Rudolph became their only threats and AP's workload and impact increased.

gregbroncs
01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Thinking about it today. I honestly think they'll give it to AP. Mostly because Manning has 4 already.

nyuk nyuk
01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Thinking about it today. I honestly think they'll give it to AP. Mostly because Manning has 4 already.

Charity? For this?

http://i45.tinypic.com/28swilz.png

gregbroncs
01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Charity? For this?

http://i45.tinypic.com/28swilz.pngNot really charity. The voters (at least in the NBA) get sick of voting for the same guy all the time. Manning has 4 and AP 0? (I think) so since the discussion is so close I believe AP will win it.

SR
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Not really charity. The voters (at least in the NBA) get sick of voting for the same guy all the time. Manning has 4 and AP 0? (I think) so since the discussion is so close I believe AP will win it.

I don't really think the voters think like that. As a matter of fact, if they do, they're discrediting the system. Is AP the MOST valueable player in the NFL to his team? No.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM

He also said that he didn't want to promote himself when asked "why he should be the MVP"..he continued on and said that in HIS mind, he's the MVP. But, when you think about it, its like when asking a QB if they are "elite." If the player says "no".. then he's a schmuck with no confidence. If he says "yes".. then he's bragging.

SR
01-09-2013, 01:41 PM
He also said that he didn't want to promote himself when asked "why he should be the MVP"..he continued on and said that in HIS mind, he's the MVP. But, when you think about it, its like when asking a QB if they are "elite." If the player says "no".. then he's a schmuck with no confidence. If he says "yes".. then he's bragging.

Unless it's Joe Flacco being asked if he's elite and answers "yes"...then everyone just laughs at him because he's the only one that thinks he's elite. But, that's besides the point.

gregbroncs
01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't really think the voters think like that. As a matter of fact, if they do, they're discrediting the system. Is AP the MOST valueable player in the NFL to his team? No.I am a Jazz fan and Karl Malone absolutely got his MVP because voters were sick of just handing it to Jordan. I'm not as familiar with the way the NFL system works but imagine it works the same.

SR
01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
I am a Jazz fan and Karl Malone absolutely got his MVP because voters were sick of just handing it to Jordan. I'm not as familiar with the way the NFL system works but imagine it works the same.

The NBA and the NFL are not the same. MO knows the details about how the voting system works.

MOtorboat
01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't really think the voters think like that. As a matter of fact, if they do, they're discrediting the system. Is AP the MOST valueable player in the NFL to his team? No.

The problem with any MVP award is that every voter sets a different criteria and definition of valuable.

I, personally think league MVP is the most valuable player to the league. Others, like yourself, think its the most valuable player to his team. Still others think it's the best player.

MVP has always been way too ambiguous.

I actually don't know the MVP voting process for the NBA.

PatriotsGuy
01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
This is why Manning will be the MVP 2120

Ravage!!!
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
This is why Manning will be the MVP 2120

Thats just racist