PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Talk - Sundquist to be the Scapegoat?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Sounds familiar. . .

POSTED 2:35 p.m. EST, November 8, 2007

SUNDQUIST TO BE THE SCAPEGOAT?

There's chatter in league circles that Broncos coach Mike Shanahan a/k/a Coach Kevlar plans to pin the team's current troubles on G.M. Ted Sundquist.

As the current rumor goes, Shanahan is considering dumping Sundquist and replacing him with Mike Lombardi.

Lombardi, who was essentially the Raiders' G.M. until earlier this year, has been working for the Broncos on (as we have heard it) an unpaid basis.

If Shanahan makes such a move, it'll be the clearest sign yet the Shanahan is feeling heat for his team's poor performances.

Meanwhile, some Internet hack from a disreputable web site who writes a couple of columns per week for SportingNews.com plans to delve into the topic of Shanahan's uncanny job security more thoroughly in the very near future.

www.profootballtalk.com

dogfish
11-08-2007, 08:15 PM
unfortunately, it's just about impossible for us to say with any certainty exactly who is responsible for what in our front office-- although we know for sure that shanahan has a hand in pretty much every decision. . . if sundquist gets fired it'll be a litte tough not to think of him as a bit of a fall guy, but on the other hand i probably won't go through any great depression over the move. . . as i said, i'm not sure precisely where his role begins and ends, but one thing i DO know is that the end results of our personnel decisions haven't exactly blown my socks off. . .

it's hard for me to determine just how much blame shanahan should get, and whether it's time for the broncos to at least think about going in another direction. . . i really do think he's a damn goood coach, but after the past two years i'm not quite as unfaltering in my support of him. . .

whether replacing sundquist would be beneficial i can't say, but you have to wonder just how much difference it's going to make if the new guy is just another yes man for the mastermind. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
11-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm wondering how often PFT scrolls Broncomania, Orange Mane and this forum to pick up stories like this. Wabbit had reported this weeks ago, but it just seems to be surfacing right now. In particular, I think it's more than just a rumor and I do believe people are unhappy about Sundquist and the way he approaches things like the draft and free agency.

I also think Shanahan lacks some personal accountability, but I'd much rather see someone like Ted go than Mike.

I remember talking to Med a while back about the combine and he said he met Sundquist once, talked to him once, and that was more than enough.

Guy seems to have one of the biggest ego's around there.

If I were Shanahan, I'd let Ted Thompson do our drafting for one year.

Dude has a real eye for talent.

lex
11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
What I find interesting is that people who claim Shanahan is really calling the shots claim Sundquist is the fall guy...but if Shanahan is calling the shots as they believe, isnt Sundquist kind of irrelevant as a GM and therefore unnecessary? So which is it? Is he a GM that adds to the organization and being made the fall guy, or is he a GM in name alone and therefore unnecessary?

dogfish
11-08-2007, 09:23 PM
What I find interesting is that people who claim Shanahan is really calling the shots claim Sundquist is the fall guy...but if Shanahan is calling the shots as they believe, isnt Sundquist kind of irrelevant as a GM and therefore unnecessary? So which is it? Is he a GM that adds to the organization and being made the fall guy, or is he a GM in name alone and therefore unnecessary?

huh?

:confused:

are you trying to say that because sundquist isn't the final authority, he can't be made a fall guy. . . or am i just misreading your post?? isn't it usually done that way, a flunky is chosen to be the fall guy for the real man in charge. . . ?

silkamilkamonico
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
If Shanahan makes such a move, it'll be the clearest sign yet the Shanahan is feeling heat for his team's poor performances.

What a dumb statement.

Even though Shanahan has had Bowlen's blessing on his decisions, someone would have to be a complete idiot to think that Shanahan doesn't feel heat for his team's poor performance.

broncofanatic1987
11-08-2007, 10:06 PM

There's chatter in league circles that Broncos coach Mike Shanahan a/k/a Coach Kevlar plans to pin the team's current troubles on G.M. Ted Sundquist.

As the current rumor goes, Shanahan is considering dumping Sundquist and replacing him with Mike Lombardi.

Lombardi, who was essentially the Raiders' G.M. until earlier this year, has been working for the Broncos on (as we have heard it) an unpaid basis.

Meanwhile, some Internet hack from a disreputable web site who writes a couple of columns per week for SportingNews.com plans to delve into the topic of Shanahan's uncanny job security more thoroughly in the very near future.

This story pretty much confirms that Shanahan is the boss and that Sundquist answers to him. All those who were saying that Sundquist is incompetent as a GM can just stop. Not that I think Sundquist could necessarily do a better job if he were in charge, but I think it's clear that Shanahan is the one to blame for any missteps in personnel decisions. How do we know that Sundquist isn't just doing what the boss wants? Maybe Shanahan thinks that someone else can do a better job than Sundquist, but what exactly the job is is unclear. Shanahan has all the final say on everything the typical GM does. It would appear that Sundquist merely does the leg work so that Shanahan has time to focus on coaching. Does Sundquist coordinate the scouting of talent? If that's the case, I would say that he's done a pretty good job over the last couple of years.

I don't care if Sundquist is fired or not, but it would be unfair to place blame on him for the team's struggles. Maybe there is someone that can do a better job at whatever the GM does for Denver, but that doesn't mean Sundquist is incompetent or deserving of blame.

Shanahan is the boss and he will be until Pat Bowlen says otherwise. So whatever decisions Shanahan makes, they are his to make, even if that means firing someone that doesn't necessarily deserve to be fired. If Shanahan thinks someone else can do a better job, it's his right and responsibility to put that person in that position.

Simple Jaded
11-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Umm...who cares? Call it 'scapegoat', call it whatever you want.

If this does happen, it just tells me that Shanahan feels Sundquist has failed him. And that whatever it is that Sundquist does, Shanahan needs to find somebody better to do it.

I'm available, and I'm a world-class Kiss Ass/Yes Man....As evidenced by this post....

dogfish
11-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Umm...who cares? Call it 'scapegoat', call it whatever you want.

If this does happen, it just tells me that Shanahan feels Sundquist has failed him. And that whatever it is that Sundquist does, Shanahan needs to find somebody better to do it.

I'm available, and I'm a world-class Kiss Ass/Yes Man....As evidenced by this post....

dude, i'm even more qualified-- no one could fetch shanahan's coffee any quicker than i could. . . .

:laugh:

TXBRONC
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
dude, i'm even more qualified-- no one could fetch shanahan's coffee any quicker than i could. . . .

I have to disagree with you DF I know I'm more qualified than either you or Link. Besides being able to get Shanahan's coffee to him faster than anyone on the planet I could spit shine his dress shoes to prefection. :laugh:

jhns
11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
I have actually liked the drafts here the last few years. We have also gotten some talented FA's in the last couple years. I think the big problem with this team is that we have so many new people, schemes, coaches, and so on. I would have to see Ted go as he has been a big part of getting some of the talent we have. It was also shortly after he came here that the drafts started looking better and better.

People are looking to hard for an explanation when it is right under their noses. I can bet not one of you guys or these reporters can find another team who has had the player turnover that the Broncos have had in the last couple of years and still been competitive that year. We have a second year QB with a ton of young guys in a lot of key areas. We have new players pretty much in every position with a new d-coordinator and scheme. The offensive playbook is different under Cutler than it was under Plummer so the offense also had to learn some new stuff. There is no team in history that has done good with even half of this stuff happening.

I am confident that this squad only needs a player or two and it can be very good next season. Also, if the drafts keep going the way they have, we should be good for a long time. THere is already a young core of players to setup the offense around and the d-line looks to have some real promise as well. Everyone just needs experience and time to develope chemistry with the other players on the field. People say they have had time, but they really haven't. They are basing that time table off of other teams with changes. I will tell you no other team in history has made the kind of turnaround we just did and had an even decent year within the next couple.

I really don't think it is the GM's fault and I don't think it would be good to fire him.

Lonestar
11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Unless Mikey hires a real GM with the authority to evaluate personnel and do the drafting and GM work it does not matter who is sitting in the chair. Does it?

If you notice Mikey is surrounded by yes men with perhaps the exception of Jim Bates almost everyone else is homegrown.. or has worked with him before..

arapaho2
11-09-2007, 06:34 PM
i find it odd in recent discussions about this team, people who say shanny isnt at fault for this teams woes as some say,suddenly see that shanny in fact does callthe shots....those shots are who's hired,fired, signed, drafted, cut,...how many coaches n this league could fire their General Manager

its also stupid to think that sunquist made moves without shannies approval, as would be the justifacation for fireing the gm....EVERYTHING IS RUN BY SHANAHAN.....so i justwonder when shanny will personaly take his rightful blame for this seasons failures

Lonestar
11-09-2007, 11:45 PM
i find it odd in recent discussions about this team, people who say shanny isnt at fault for this teams woes as some say,suddenly see that shanny in fact does callthe shots....those shots are who's hired,fired, signed, drafted, cut,...how many coaches n this league could fire their General Manager

its also stupid to think that sunquist made moves without shannies approval, as would be the justifacation for fireing the gm....EVERYTHING IS RUN BY SHANAHAN.....so i justwonder when shanny will personaly take his rightful blame for this seasons failures

The third tuesday of next week.. As the article suggests he is mike kevlar..

Simple Jaded
11-10-2007, 12:51 AM
I have to disagree with you DF I know I'm more qualified than either you or Link. Besides being able to get Shanahan's coffee to him faster than anyone on the planet I could spit shine his dress shoes to prefection. :laugh:

Okay! So I don't know how to make coffee nor can a spit shine.

But I am blessed with the gift of BSing....I'd have that Hype Machine purring like a well-oiled kitten....

arapaho2
11-10-2007, 01:37 AM
The third tuesday of next week.. As the article suggests he is mike kevlar..

welli like shanny as our coach,but things do seem to be wandering away from him....i love the cutler pick and sudden start last season, cutler is the least of our worries...but the offensive troubles i feel cannot continued to be blamed on lack of excecution..... the one constant shanny had in his tenure was kubiak...our offense has nosedived since he left, the playcalling in the redzone has baffled me

then this year is one of questionable moves...starting off with the release of our starting fullback KJ who was a force in the redzone, gerard warren, the failed trades,the draftpicks for players then cut them...and above all the drop of defense and the continued blame that is simply the players missing tackles or assignments...maybe the preseason or even the 1-2games, but surely they shoulda picked it up by the 8th game..the cut of rice after a three million check was cut....surely a simion rice at90% is still better then some scrub off the someones practice squad

broncosinindy
11-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Very bad decision. i have liked our Drafts the last few years. and liked for the most part the FA's brought in Except some of the Dlineman. We brought in this last year two guys that are supposed to be A+ with lineman and are on pace to get LESS sacks then we did last year.

I dont know where to asses the blame at this point but to blow this org up even more would be silly.

Lonestar
11-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Very bad decision. i have liked our Drafts the last few years. and liked for the most part the FA's brought in Except some of the Dlineman. We brought in this last year two guys that are supposed to be A+ with lineman and are on pace to get LESS sacks then we did last year.

I dont know where to asses the blame at this point but to blow this org up even more would be silly.

Yes they have been better, but I wonder who was making the calls, Has the new DC and OC had a bigger say in what they wanted? This is something we will never know for sure.

Mikey as the article suggests becomes enamored with a player and he reaches for them.. You can look at almost every draft we have had and every time DEN picks. The draft experts are going huh? who? and he was on my list as a 3rd rounder 4th rounder etc. Usually at least one round higher than we took him in.

Who in their right mind spends a #2 on a one handed WR?

Now he has done well in FA and some of the trades but when they are on the clock well lets say he has not been stellar.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-10-2007, 02:29 PM
JR, don't you think that it'd be apt to place blame on the scouting department for not letting Mike know about that injury? More or less, those who give him the physical examinations at Indianapolis? Why is that Shanahan's fault?

Lonestar
11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
JR, don't you think that it'd be apt to place blame on the scouting department for not letting Mike know about that injury? More or less, those who give him the physical examinations at Indianapolis? Why is that Shanahan's fault?

They had to know this.

How is it that mikey comes up with pretty good FA does he pick them out of the sky? No they have been scouted. The Veteran players they have signed for the most part have been good, do you think that the scouting department and our coaches watching game film of them, did not bring them to his attention or were they just lucky guesses.

Position coaches also, go to the combine along with the scouts, GM's and head coaches.. Your telling me they did not know he was a one handed WR? Come on, if that is really indeed the case the whole group should be fired. Starting at the top down.

What IMO really happened was they saw that he had broken most of Randy Mosses college records.. and Mikey fell in love with him like almost every other DAFT bust we have had.

I remember hearing mikey sing his praises on draft day saying much about what I just quoted. "A fast WR that runs great routes and broke all of mosses records"..

Let me go over my premise again so everyone is clear.. If the scouting department can bring in good UFA's and Veterans why has our draft record for almost all of Mikeys time in DEN sucked.

I believe it is because with the former we have all the time in the world to think about it. On draft day we have 15 minutes on day one and 5 on day two. Mikey simply can not handle the pressure or is so in love with some of these clowns he jumps the gun, taking folks way before they should be taken....

Requiem / The Dagda
11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
How is it that mikey comes up with pretty good FA does he pick them out of the sky? No they have been scouted.

I don't know if we really do get good veterans in FA. I think it's an area we struggle immensely. A lot of people would consider Chris Trulove to be a reason why. Mediator has talked to him at Mobile, and says he's a young buck with something to prove. Has a real good eye for talent. I'd be interested in him getting our GM job and canning Sundquist.

The Veteran players they have signed for the most part have been good, do you think that the scouting department and our coaches watching game film of them, did not bring them to his attention or were they just lucky guesses.

I'm just curious about the "good" free agent acquisitions we've had over the past five years or so? I mean, people who were signed in FA - not brought in via trade. Lynch comes to mind. Who else?

Position coaches also, go to the combine along with the scouts, GM's and head coaches.. Your telling me they did not know he was a one handed WR? Come on, if that is really indeed the case the whole group should be fired. Starting at the top down.

I know who all goes to the combine. I'm not saying they didn't, know - but honestly - could that have been something they overlooked? His hand never impacted him at Marshall, so maybe it's something they just - well, didn't take seriously. Sort of like Hixon's foot injury. This team has always drafted players who have been injured. It's almost criminal. I don't know if it's the medical staff and personnel there not doing enough research, or they don't feel too bad about the injuries long-term - but it's absolutely ridiculous.

What IMO really happened was they saw that he had broken most of Randy Mosses college records.. and Mikey fell in love with him like almost every other DAFT bust we have had.

That's what I think as well. Let's say they knew about the injury - but I think his successes at Marshall overshadowed that.

I remember hearing mikey sing his praises on draft day saying much about what I just quoted. "A fast WR that runs great routes and broke all of mosses records"..

Sundquist and Shanahan always like to talk up their selections. I'm not surprised. I recall this too.

Let me go over my premise again so everyone is clear.. If the scouting department can bring in good UFA's and Veterans why has our draft record for almost all of Mikeys time in DEN sucked.

Okay? So - what good free agents have we brought in over the past five years?

I believe it is because with the former we have all the time in the world to think about it. On draft day we have 15 minutes on day one and 5 on day two. Mikey simply can not handle the pressure or is so in love with some of these clowns he jumps the gun, taking folks way before they should be taken....

War Room's are a hassle. There is so much going on at one time. I don't think it has anything to do with Mike not being able to handle pressure, the guy can as a coach - why couldn't he in the draft room?

Do I feel that Mike can fall in love with a player and absolutely feel like he needs them? Sure. I was just playing a Devil's Advocate role saying it's possible they overlooked his injury, or really didn't notice it at all. Considering Denver's past tenure of drafting injured players.

In the end, I just refuse to blame Shanahan for all the poor things that get done, and attribute to the successes to everyone else. Would I like to see a younger guy, who has a great eye for talent be in control of more of the personnel decisions regarding the draft? Sure. I think we need a guy like that. However, we also need harder credentials for scouting reports and Denver personnel have to get their act together.

From Mike on down. We have some new guys on the staff this year. We'll see how it shakes out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ted move on after this season.

Despite all the back picks that have been made, I think we've improved quite a bit over the past few years. Hopefully it can continue.

We have five starters from the 2006 draft. That's got to count for something.

Lonestar
11-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't know if we really do get good veterans in FA. I think it's an area we struggle immensely. A lot of people would consider Chris Trulove to be a reason why. Mediator has talked to him at Mobile, and says he's a young buck with something to prove. Has a real good eye for talent. I'd be interested in him getting our GM job and canning Sundquist.

I'm just curious about the "good" free agent acquisitions we've had over the past five years or so? I mean, people who were signed in FA - not brought in via trade. Lynch comes to mind. Who else?

I know who all goes to the combine. I'm not saying they didn't, know - but honestly - could that have been something they overlooked? His hand never impacted him at Marshall, so maybe it's something they just - well, didn't take seriously. Sort of like Hixon's foot injury. This team has always drafted players who have been injured. It's almost criminal. I don't know if it's the medical staff and personnel there not doing enough research, or they don't feel too bad about the injuries long-term - but it's absolutely ridiculous.

That's what I think as well. Let's say they knew about the injury - but I think his successes at Marshall overshadowed that.

Sundquist and Shanahan always like to talk up their selections. I'm not surprised. I recall this too.

Okay? So - what good free agents have we brought in over the past five years?

War Room's are a hassle. There is so much going on at one time. I don't think it has anything to do with Mike not being able to handle pressure, the guy can as a coach - why couldn't he in the draft room?

Do I feel that Mike can fall in love with a player and absolutely feel like he needs them? Sure. I was just playing a Devil's Advocate role saying it's possible they overlooked his injury, or really didn't notice it at all. Considering Denver's past tenure of drafting injured players.

In the end, I just refuse to blame Shanahan for all the poor things that get done, and attribute to the successes to everyone else. Would I like to see a younger guy, who has a great eye for talent be in control of more of the personnel decisions regarding the draft? Sure. I think we need a guy like that. However, we also need harder credentials for scouting reports and Denver personnel have to get their act together.

From Mike on down. We have some new guys on the staff this year. We'll see how it shakes out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ted move on after this season.

Despite all the back picks that have been made, I think we've improved quite a bit over the past few years. Hopefully it can continue.

We have five starters from the 2006 draft. That's got to count for something.

Overall I agree with your post nikey has to divest himself from that perrsonnel guy role IMO. or they will continue to suffer. The past couple of drafts look pretty good but that could just be the laww of averages finally swinging in our direction.

I consider the following above average FA or trades considering the money paid for them:
Sam Adams
Engelberger
Fergueson
Leach
Glen Martinez
Stokley
Selvin Young
Nate Jackson
HOldman
Sauerbrun
PAul Smith
Walker who we should have drafted upfront..

Now not all are starters but in some cases you are jsut looking for backups in this area also.

Alexander was not bad but IMO overpaid.

rcsodak
11-10-2007, 10:49 PM
unfortunately, it's just about impossible for us to say with any certainty exactly who is responsible for what in our front office-- although we know for sure that shanahan has a hand in pretty much every decision. . . if sundquist gets fired it'll be a litte tough not to think of him as a bit of a fall guy, but on the other hand i probably won't go through any great depression over the move. . . as i said, i'm not sure precisely where his role begins and ends, but one thing i DO know is that the end results of our personnel decisions haven't exactly blown my socks off. . .

it's hard for me to determine just how much blame shanahan should get, and whether it's time for the broncos to at least think about going in another direction. . . i really do think he's a damn goood coach, but after the past two years i'm not quite as unfaltering in my support of him. . .

whether replacing sundquist would be beneficial i can't say, but you have to wonder just how much difference it's going to make if the new guy is just another yes man for the mastermind. . .
Bronco fans are some of the WORST fans, when it comes to expectations.

It's either the playoffs/SB or Shanny sucks.

I'd like a list of coaches who, over the same amount of years, has as good or better record. He's had 1 losing season in 10+yrs. And that was as we all know right after Elway retired and TD went down, if my memory hasn't failed me. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Shanny is warranted a crap year on occasion, as long as it gives the team a chance to reload with earlier picks and youth for the future.

I think Sunny just does what he's told to do. He doesn't scout the players. He takes the information from his scouts, gets with Shanny, and does what is decided between them. If anything, I feel Denver's MAIN deficiency is their scouting. If Sunny is dumped, I think it'd give the organization a black eye, and start it's unraveling.

rcsodak
11-10-2007, 11:01 PM

If Shanny were nothing more than just the coach, I'd agree with you, rap.

But that's not the only title under his name. ;)

underrated29
11-10-2007, 11:32 PM
you know you also have to ask your self a couple of questions.

do you think with atleast and average draft and atleast and average fa and coaching moves that we will once again be competative next year?

What do you think the average time it takes a team to rebuild and once again be competative?

Most teams take 3-5 years minimum to rebuild and become competative again, look at the pats, raiders, lions, cards,cowboys.

Now imo, and many posters as well, think that even if we draft a couple of impact players and maybe a FA aswell, Nothing major that we will be right back in the fold for SB contention.

How many teams can rebuild in one year? Will we? Not sure yet, but it sure looks like we could. I Think that takes great coaching especially from mikey's standpoint. Even on that he still hasnt dedicated this year to rebuiliding. He wants contention and expects nothing less even when we are in the process of doing so.

Lonestar
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds familiar. . .

www.profootballtalk.com

a little blast from the past..

Broncos Mtnman
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/old_thread.jpg

Rick
06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
More important question...where the hell did you find that picture of Al Davis??

atwater27
06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh the depths people will go to to prove another wrong....

Lonestar
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Oh the depths people will go to to prove another wrong....

hey they wanted a link to the article and so far unless I missed it they are awfully quiet on the subject..

One should KNOW by now I rarely stated something I can't back up..

Now I do have lots of opinions that are partial supported by "links".. but so far I was right about the DAFT and no body wanted to hear it 3-4 years ago..

:patsoneselfonbacksmile:

Requiem / The Dagda
06-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Awfully quiet on what?

I never disagreed with the statements that Mike was a poor drafter and overall GM. I've been a vocal critic of our drafts since I've been posting on the message boards back when people were skippin' to my lou as draft guru over on Broncomania. What I disagreed with was him getting all the blame, considering the fact that there is a whole player personnel department responsible for scouting players and generating reports. The whole, "You are as only as good as those below you." concept. I also was underwhelmed that you refused to compare our drafts with others. I am, was and will be fully aware of the recent articles posted (in regards to Pro-Bowlers drafted and draftees on the team) -- but the bust rate and leave ratio of drafted players league-wide is exceptionally high for all teams.

The real irony here is seeing the conflicting nature of your reports talking about how solid Mike was in regards to getting free agents; but all of a sudden (upon further review) he sucks.

Aw, gee.