PDA

View Full Version : Vegas has Broncos as 2 to 1 favorites for Super Bowl

CrazyHorse
01-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Possessing an 11-game winning streak and the best record in football has bookmakers in Vegas bullish on the Denver Broncos' chances to win the Super Bowl heading into the NFL Playoffs.

According to VegasInsider.com, Denver is getting 2/1 odds to hoist the Lombardi Trophy in New Orleans at Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 3. The New England Patriots are next at 5/2 odds with the Indianapolis Colts the biggest long shot at 80/1.

USAToday Odds (http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/02/nfl-super-bowl-odds/1805047/?kjnd=nZr8lCZ0F2T43Ckxdfq9pv2VNTvekPVyb8M6yQatpQYx WX%2FNOG%2B5D8aH7TZLOa4P-9e9d7bea-6e95-45b3-8901-4a18cd76bd9d_mLbd8DKTh8xCbCvR5ofAf4e1VC8lflisiDBgb TzUrtCM2CW9IaMWccgHOWHfJ5V%2B)

zbeg
01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
26.2%? Ugh. For those who play poker, those are roughly the odds of Ace-Ten offsuit beating Ace-King suited when both players move all-in preflop (25.1%).

We've got some work to do.

OrangeHoof
01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
One is quoting odds for reaching the Super Bowl while the other is quoting the pct. chance of winning the Super Bowl. The Broncos ought to be a 50% odds of reaching the Super Bowl since they have the #1 seed and just have to win two home games. The other (26.2%) is their chances of winning two home games and then the Super Bowl under a dome in Peyton's birthplace.

Were it not for Brady and Belicheat, I think the odds would be even stronger.

zbeg
01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
One is quoting odds for reaching the Super Bowl while the other is quoting the pct. chance of winning the Super Bowl. The Broncos ought to be a 50% odds of reaching the Super Bowl since they have the #1 seed and just have to win two home games. The other (26.2%) is their chances of winning two home games and then the Super Bowl under a dome in Peyton's birthplace.

Were it not for Brady and Belicheat, I think the odds would be even stronger.

The same site gives the odds for Denver getting to the Super Bowl at around 42%, which seems about right. A game against the Patriots isn't going to be much more than 50%, and there's a smallish chance Denver loses to whoever in the divisional round (Baltimore, Indy, or Cincinnati).

MasterShake
01-03-2013, 05:26 PM
26.2%? Ugh. For those who play poker, those are roughly the odds of Ace-Ten offsuit beating Ace-King suited when both players move all-in preflop (25.1%).

We've got some work to do.

I'm no odds maker, but 26% chance out of 12 teams right now is pretty good, right? I mean isn't the poker hand based off many more variables? I really have no clue, just asking. When I heard our percentage I thought it was pretty good.

zbeg
01-03-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm no odds maker, but 26% chance out of 12 teams right now is pretty good, right? I mean isn't the poker hand based off many more variables? I really have no clue, just asking. When I heard our percentage I thought it was pretty good.

Yeah, those are fantastic odds, but it still means that three times out of four, the Broncos don't win it all, which is a little depressing.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard. So much has to go your way even when you have the best team in the league.

BroncoWave
01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah, those are fantastic odds, but it still means that three times out of four, the Broncos don't win it all, which is a little depressing.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard. So much has to go your way even when you have the best team in the league.

Yep, it seems to be the team that has the most breaks go it's way more often than the team that was the best in the regular season. You just never know. We definitely have a great chance though.

MasterShake
01-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Well, I'll take that over having my team interviewing coaches right now! :salute:

This team just feels so different than our last 13-3 team in 2005. We don't have an inexplicable losses to bad teams and we are winning with a cunning ruthlessness. If I were a fan of any other playoff team, I'd be scared to death to play Denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2013, 05:48 PM
If the Broncos win the SB, and someone put money on them way back, when the odds first came out - can you imagine what they could win

DenBronx
01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
I say we all give $5 and have Tned bet it for us. If we win then we can better this site. If we lose then we were are all only out $5.

zbeg
01-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Well, I'll take that over having my team interviewing coaches right now! :salute:

This team just feels so different than our last 13-3 team in 2005. We don't have an inexplicable losses to bad teams and we are winning with a cunning ruthlessness. If I were a fan of any other playoff team, I'd be scared to death to play Denver.

And no need to blitz six players just to get pressure on the quarterback, which was my biggest doubt from that season. Champ was playing out of his freaking mind, but aside from him I didn't think the defense was a little suspect in that regard.

When you can get pressure by rushing four, it makes a huge difference. We didn't have that in 2005.

zbeg
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
If the Broncos win the SB, and someone put money on them way back, when the odds first came out - can you imagine what they could win

Denver was 70:1 to win the Super Bowl, so...yeah.

I was this close to putting $100 on them when I was in Vegas in March and Manning was a rumor, but I realized that "Peyton Manning: Denver Broncos quarterback" was a thing that only happened in Madden, not in real life. "Ha ha, don't be ridiculous."

Eh. It was only 35:1 at the time. If the Broncos win the Super Bowl, will I be mad that I missed out on $3500? No. Because the Broncos just won the Super Bowl, so...I guess I'll just have to live with the best thing to have happened to Denver in the last 15 years.

DenBronx
01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah...I'm going to give $100 every year Manning is our QB.