PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag: Peyton Manning's glove and why it's so important

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I have followed Peyton Manning closely since his freshman year at Tennessee. Against Cleveland was the first time in Peyton's career he has ever worn a glove. Is this a result of his nerve injury and inability to grip the ball in cold weather? As an aside, notice how even with a new offense, he doesn't need a play-calling cheat sheet on his wrist. A testament to his unparalleled football acumen, something even Brady can't claim.
--Rodney, Asheville, N.C

As a cynic, I was ready to say Manning's ability to pass through inclement weather was the last of the unanswered questions regarding his comeback -- and reason for concern come the elements of playoff football.

But the glove changes everything. He does wear it for grip purposes, an acknowledgement that the nerve regeneration from his neck surgeries isn't 100 percent recovered -- which adds an exclamation point to his remarkable comeback. I mean, the guy's still not completely healthy and he still threw for more than 4,600 yards while compiling a 13-3 record, 37 TDs and just 11 picks.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_22296666/broncos-mailbag-peyton-mannings-glove-and-why-its

DenBronx
01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
You know...out of all the years I have seen Manning play, I never realized he doesnt wear a cheat sheet on his wrist. Yet another reason that makes him one of the all time greats.

I dont think the glove has anything to do with nerve damage. I think it's the weather here in Denver and so far the glove thing doesnt seem to bother him, in fact it seems to help.

BroncoWave
01-02-2013, 06:59 PM
You know...out of all the years I have seen Manning play, I never realized he doesnt wear a cheat sheet on his wrist. Yet another reason that makes him one of the all time greats.

I dont think the glove has anything to do with nerve damage. I think it's the weather here in Denver and so far the glove thing doesnt seem to bother him, in fact it seems to help.

It would probably take Manning more time to find a play on a cheatsheet than it does for him to just pull it right out of his head. Gotta love having a QB with that kind of intelligence.

DenBronx
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Here's a clip from the article, "I've always thought a significant difference between Manning and Brady was that Manning has full command of his offense while Brady does what Bill Belichick tells him to do. It should be added he does it very well."

To me that is the BIG difference between the two QBs. I sometimes wonder how Brady would do going to another team. For instance the Chargers....would Brady look the same going to a new team and one WITHOUT Belichek?

DenBronx
01-02-2013, 07:03 PM
It would probably take Manning more time to find a play on a cheatsheet than it does for him to just pull it right out of his head. Gotta love having a QB with that kind of intelligence.

It would only waste his time. It's all in his brain, he reads defenses like a book and just carves them up mentally and physically. Once the whole offense around him is on the same page things get scary quick for the other team.

How awesome would have been to have Manning as a rookie? I think he would have won more than 1 SB already.

Jsteve01
01-02-2013, 07:35 PM
It would only waste his time. It's all in his brain, he reads defenses like a book and just carves them up mentally and physically. Once the whole offense around him is on the same page things get scary quick for the other team.

How awesome would have been to have Manning as a rookie? I think he would have won more than 1 SB already.

well yeah he would because he would have one from the 1998 super bowl team which was his rookie year. Imagine sitting him one year behind Elway and then letting him carve up offenses. The only thing is that with Shanny, I have my doubts as to whether he would have let Manning freelance the way he did in Indy.

SR
01-02-2013, 07:39 PM
well yeah he would because he would have one from the 1998 super bowl team which was his rookie year. Imagine sitting him one year behind Elway and then letting him carve up offenses. The only thing is that with Shanny, I have my doubts as to whether he would have let Manning freelance the way he did in Indy.

Doubt it.

DenBronx
01-02-2013, 07:41 PM

I think even Shanny would have taken a step back to let Manning be Manning. But I dont think Manning would have wanted to go to a team where he had to sit a year.

Brian Griese...lol. WITH the Superbowl team too....ouch!

Dapper Dan
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Manning has a couple of extra memory chips installed in his head.

I've always been biased, so I really don't know if it's right or not. I've always thought the same thing about Brady versus Manning. The Pats losing Brady survived just fine. The Colts without Manning were the worst in the league and drafted a very good QB. If you're a team, you want to be set up like the Pats. You don't really want to have to rely on your QB that much. But when comparign QBs, I think Manning can go just about anywhere and win. I think Brady thrives in that system. I'm not saying that Brady is a scrub, but I think Manning is better.

SR
01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Manning has a couple of extra memory chips installed in his head.

I've always been biased, so I really don't know if it's right or not. I've always thought the same thing about Brady versus Manning. The Pats losing Brady survived just fine. The Colts without Manning were the worst in the league and drafted a very good QB. If you're a team, you want to be set up like the Pats. You don't really want to have to rely on your QB that much. But when comparign QBs, I think Manning can go just about anywhere and win. I think Brady thrives in that system. I'm not saying that Brady is a scrub, but I think Manning is better.

Won't disagree there. Brady is the epitome of a system QB. However, as he showed against us this year he runs a lethal no huddle and has some serious weapons around him.

MOtorboat
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Brady has played in three schemes, Weis', McDaniels' and O'Brian's.

While they are schematically similar, they have been different. Weis ran a more traditional offense and began to incorporate some spread later, while McDaniels fully embraced the spread and O'Brian used a combination of the two previous schemes. Sure, they are all essentially the same base philosophy, but they are different schemes and systems.

I like to bag on Brady as much as the next guy, but he's far from a "system" quarterback.