PDA

View Full Version : Broncos’ Peyton Manning: Mike McCoy “ready” to be NFL head coach

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Speaking to reporters Wednesday for his weekly presser, Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning offered an endorsement of offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who is being considered for head-coaching positions by Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago and perhaps others.

“I think he’s ready; I think he’s paid his dues,” Manning said of McCoy, 40, “Mike’s a good leader. He’s had some good coaches that have been mentors to him, different coaches that he’s worked with in his years in the NFL that I think he’s incorporated some of their leadership philosophies and his own philosophy.

“I tell you, he’s a worker. We spend a lot of hours together — early mornings, late nights — trying to get kind of our plan in place for what kind of offense we were going to be. There is no substitute for work ethic, and Mike certainly has that. … In my opinion, he deserves a shot at one of these head coaching jobs.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/02/broncos-peyton-manning-mike-mccoy-ready-nfl-head-coach/17880/

DenBronx
01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
I remember Champ saying the same thing about some of our horrible DCs over the years. Manning and Champ are all class though.

Guess the only way to know is to jump in feet first. McCoys going to get his shot and has a chance to prove himself.

Jsteve01
01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Allen hasn't shown very well has he?

DenBronx
01-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Allen hasn't shown very well has he?

No he hasnt but that team is just cursed beyond measure. Allen wasnt a bad DC and I was thinking of the ones before Allen, like Wink & Coyer ect.

Az Snake
01-02-2013, 10:29 PM

When McCoy goes can Manning be player/coach ?
Peyton, QB/OC !!!
:D

Dzone
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Very classy thing for Peyton to do. He gave his full endorsement to his OC to help him get a HC gig. Peyton always keepin it real

rjent
01-02-2013, 10:38 PM
How much can our OC leaving hurt us .... really?

Jsteve01
01-02-2013, 10:45 PM
To b fair cyer and bates got zero help from shanny personnel wise. Bates was a good defensive coordinator at every stop prior to denver. Then shanny tried to run out a used up adams and some cleveland retreads andyou remember thr rest. Coyer made a pretty mediocre unit look good until big ben exposed them. Slow? Well theres nodefending him. Classic case of a great position coach who couldnt make thr leap to coordinator.

DenBronx
01-02-2013, 11:19 PM
To b fair cyer and bates got zero help from shanny personnel wise. Bates was a good defensive coordinator at every stop prior to denver. Then shanny tried to run out a used up adams and some cleveland retreads andyou remember thr rest. Coyer made a pretty mediocre unit look good until big ben exposed them. Slow? Well theres nodefending him. Classic case of a great position coach who couldnt make thr leap to coordinator.

I blame Shanahan for that. He had years and years to bring in the right guys on defense, yet he just ignored it. He always wanted to band aide the defense and thats why we always got crushed in the playoffs. I like Shanny the coach but not Shanny the GM.

TXBRONC
01-03-2013, 12:25 AM
How much can our OC leaving hurt us .... really?

A bunch.

underrated29
01-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Here is my opinion of McCoy as a HC.

I actually think he might make a pretty decent HC. He knows how to run a good offense. B that I mean the type of offense that can put up points. He has a good feel for his offensive players. He reminds me of a poor mans mike Nolan. But I think he probably does alright. He has been around a lot of good defenses and some really bad ones....with fox in car and with us here. So he should be able to get a good d on the field.

Where I think he will fail if he does is his own play calling. He is a terrible OC. Just terrible! I've said it many times. Non imaginative. Repetitive. Predictable. And takes at least 2 quarters to adjust. He is very conservative and while he has a good feel for who can play and can not. I do not thnk he understands how to utilize each of his players very well.

Ex. Knowshon on screens. I have seen very few players who are as good at screens as knowshon. Sproles, lt, and a few other are the class I put him in. McCoy has called probably 10 rb screens in the last 4 years.

So if he stays out of hs own way, play calling etc, but brings our offense to wherever he goes. He should be alright.

TXBRONC
01-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Here is my opinion of McCoy as a HC.

I actually think he might make a pretty decent HC. He knows how to run a good offense. B that I mean the type of offense that can put up points. He has a good feel for his offensive players. He reminds me of a poor mans mike Nolan. But I think he probably does alright. He has been around a lot of good defenses and some really bad ones....with fox in car and with us here. So he should be able to get a good d on the field.

Where I think he will fail if he does is his own play calling. He is a terrible OC. Just terrible! I've said it many times. Non imaginative. Repetitive. Predictable. And takes at least 2 quarters to adjust. He is very conservative and while he has a good feel for who can play and can not. I do not thnk he understands how to utilize each of his players very well.

Ex. Knowshon on screens. I have seen very few players who are as good at screens as knowshon. Sproles, lt, and a few other are the class I put him in. McCoy has called probably 10 rb screens in the last 4 years.

So if he stays out of hs own way, play calling etc, but brings our offense to wherever he goes. He should be alright.

McDaniels was calling the offensive plays for all 09 and 3/4 of the 2010 season so I have no idea get this four year stretch where McCoy was not calling screen plays. I don't see how he can be faulted for the play calling when he wasn't the on calling the plays.

Really he has no idea how to utilize his personal? You got to be kidding. McCoy had to scrap a pro offense in favor of a college spread type offense (mid season mind you) just to accomodate a quaterback who was a terrible passer. Yet he able to get work just well enough win the division last year. You're criticizing McCoy as being unimmagative and repetitive but did you ever stop to think who was playing quarterback last year.

underrated29
01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
McDaniels was calling the offensive plays for all 09 and 3/4 of the 2010 season so I have no idea get this four year stretch where McCoy was not calling screen plays. I don't see how he can be faulted for the play calling when he wasn't the on calling the plays.

Really he has no idea how to utilize his personal? You got to be kidding. McCoy had to scrap a pro offense in favor of a college spread type offense (mid season mind you) just to accomodate a quaterback who was a terrible passer. Yet he able to get work just well enough win the division last year. You're criticizing McCoy as being unimmagative and repetitive but did you ever stop to think who was playing quarterback last year.

Yeah and it was completely stupid!

I've said it Numerous times McCoy should never have done that. Lets cite the proof!

The vows first pre season- he scored and put up points in a regular offense. Not that stupid option crap thing he made us run.
Tebows first three starts at the end of the year. He almost came back and was within 1 play of beating the chargers after coming in at halftime. He threw for over 300 yards on the texans and won the game! He also put up more points in those three games his rookie year in a NORMAL offense then Kyle Orton the Normal offense qb.

Then we have preseason last year, and what did tebow do? Ask Pitts , cuz he beat them and the starters.

Now we fast forward to reg season and what happens?

Tebow once again comes in at halftime. Once again in a normal offense. Once again he puts up more points than Orton in a normal passing offense and once again brings us back to a 30 yards Hail Mary for the win. Pass was incomplete but was close.

Then the essential rookie qb, gets to face off against the packers and lions. Two teams who pass pass pass and do exactly what the broncos do right now! Get up on teams and force them to play catch up. Look how well it workes for us..... We've won 10 games in a row. So those two teams dominated us, like they did every other team last year and then mike McCoy decides that the broncos are better off running his stupid lame run run run punt, run run run run run punt, 7 passes a game crap! Our scoring goes down, our first downs go down, our passing goes down and our 3 and outs go up.

Sure we won 6 in a row while doing it, but history Proves to us that we would have likely won those games by more had we stuck to a regular offense.

How did we beat the steelers, #1 defense and #1 pass defense in the nfl in the playoffs? By letting tebow pass the damn ball and drop 300+ on them along with touchdowns.

People think because tebow sucks so bad that McCoy is a super genius because we actually won games with him. When in actuality we would have won those games anyone despite McCoy handicapping our offense.....and tebow to an extent. And it is all proven. We saw it. We saw it all. We saw us go from 23+ points a game? Not sure on the amount, but it's close, to like 17ppg. All because of McCoy and no one else. Yet McCoy gets praise for it, which is silly.

I would say he deserves credit for getting any team to totally switch offenses in two weeks time, but that is about it. Especially an offense that most ran in college and does not have a lot of working parts.

SR
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
All of the people that call McCoy predictable and all that makes me laugh. Shanahan and Kubiak used to script the first 15 plays of the game and stuck to the script no matter if they had five three and outs or used all 15 scripted plays in one drive. They made their adjustments based on those plays. McCoy adjusts extremely well to what happens in the first half. EXTREMELY well.

rationalfan
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
All of the people that call McCoy predictable and all that makes me laugh. Shanahan and Kubiak used to script the first 15 plays of the game and stuck to the script no matter if they had five three and outs or used all 15 scripted plays in one drive. They made their adjustments based on those plays. McCoy adjusts extremely well to what happens in the first half. EXTREMELY well.

yes he does.

i'm also beginning to think that, for some people here, "predictable play calling" means "they're not running the plays i want them to, when i want them to."

NightTerror218
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
is that Peyton telling him to leave......

rjent
01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
A bunch.

Would you care to expand on that?

All I have seen McCoy do is try to force Tebow into an offense that clearly wasn't going to work and then admited defeat by allowing Tebows limited offense to do what it did, then I saw him do the same with Manning until our fifth game when he let Peyton do his thing.

I just think with Peyton, any OC can get the job done, because it isn't the OC that is coaching, it's Payton.

JMHO.... :)

NightTerror218
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM

All I have seen McCoy do is try to force Tebow into an offense that clearly wasn't going to work and then admited defeat by allowing Tebows limited offense to do what it did, then I saw him do the same with Manning until our fifth game when he let Peyton do his thing.

I just think with Peyton, any OC can get the job done, because it isn't the OC that is coaching, it's Payton.

I honestly think McCoy is not very good OC. His mentality of adjusting play calling at half time thing kills me. Why not do it before the game.

rjent
01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
I honestly think McCoy is not very good OC. His mentality of adjusting play calling at half time thing kills me. Why not do it before the game.

Exactly! :lol:

We have all heard the buzz as to how Peyton (God help us when we finally lose him) has "coached" up DT to an all pro player and he "coached" up Decker to the same. How the whole organization is better and playing catchup with Peyton behind center.

Personally, I don't really fear losing McCoy as long as Manning is running the offense. I will say, I would rather see the continuity of McCoy staying just because it seems to be working right now. As it has been said elsewhere, we have not really played anyone in the last 10 games, so the playoff game in another week will be telling as to how good a team this really is, (I think we are going to crush whomever we face BTW) but the OC and McCoy is the least of the equation......

JMHO

Mike
01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
yes he does.

i'm also beginning to think that, for some people here, "predictable play calling" means "they're not running the plays i want them to, when i want them to."

Others of us just prefer to go with he is leaving a lot left out on the field.

Manning is probably trying to help McCoy out the door to bring in someone he likes. not srs....ok, maybe half srs. :)

TXBRONC
01-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah and it was completely stupid!

I've said it Numerous times McCoy should never have done that. Lets cite the proof!

The vows first pre season- he scored and put up points in a regular offense. Not that stupid option crap thing he made us run.
Tebows first three starts at the end of the year. He almost came back and was within 1 play of beating the chargers after coming in at halftime. He threw for over 300 yards on the texans and won the game! He also put up more points in those three games his rookie year in a NORMAL offense then Kyle Orton the Normal offense qb.

Then we have preseason last year, and what did tebow do? Ask Pitts , cuz he beat them and the starters.

Now we fast forward to reg season and what happens?

Tebow once again comes in at halftime. Once again in a normal offense. Once again he puts up more points than Orton in a normal passing offense and once again brings us back to a 30 yards Hail Mary for the win. Pass was incomplete but was close.

Then the essential rookie qb, gets to face off against the packers and lions. Two teams who pass pass pass and do exactly what the broncos do right now! Get up on teams and force them to play catch up. Look how well it workes for us..... We've won 10 games in a row. So those two teams dominated us, like they did every other team last year and then mike McCoy decides that the broncos are better off running his stupid lame run run run punt, run run run run run punt, 7 passes a game crap! Our scoring goes down, our first downs go down, our passing goes down and our 3 and outs go up.

Sure we won 6 in a row while doing it, but history Proves to us that we would have likely won those games by more had we stuck to a regular offense.

How did we beat the steelers, #1 defense and #1 pass defense in the nfl in the playoffs? By letting tebow pass the damn ball and drop 300+ on them along with touchdowns.

People think because tebow sucks so bad that McCoy is a super genius because we actually won games with him. When in actuality we would have won those games anyone despite McCoy handicapping our offense.....and tebow to an extent. And it is all proven. We saw it. We saw it all. We saw us go from 23+ points a game? Not sure on the amount, but it's close, to like 17ppg. All because of McCoy and no one else. Yet McCoy gets praise for it, which is silly.

I would say he deserves credit for getting any team to totally switch offenses in two weeks time, but that is about it. Especially an offense that most ran in college and does not have a lot of working parts.

That's not proof of anything. It also ignore ALL of the circumstances surrounding what happened with Tebow. Tebow didn't light it up in his first preseason. He had a rushing touching down and end up with bruised ribs. Which led to him missing the next game against the Lions. The next game against the Steelers he completed only 5 of 10 passes and a three yard touch down pass included. The last game against Minnesota he had a touchdown, a pick and fumble. That's three turnovers in three games in the regular offense as you put it.

In the three games he started at the end of the 2010 season he only completed 50% of his passes with five touchdowns and three interceptions in the regular offense. It's showed some promise but sure hell leaves a lot to be desired. Evenso I wanted him have chance to run in the offense. His one shinny moment came against the worst pass defense in the League that year.

You really want to go there with Tebow in the 2011 season and the normal offense we prior to the change? Tebow came in at half time and completed 40% of his passes in that game. Yeah that's killing it in the regular offense. I remember that game very well and Rivers was responsible for two turnovers a pick six in the first half and a fumble in the second half that also lead to a touchdown. The next week in Miami he was terrible in regular offense almost four full quarters. Denver took advantage of Dolphins mistakes to get back in the game. I don't where you get this idea some kind freaking offensive juggernaught with regular because we weren't. We put only 18 point against the Dolphins all of which came at end of the game. We could only muster 10 points against the Lions. It's rather poor excuse to say well the Lions were putting up big points against everyone. Facts are facts when Tebow became the starting quarterback the scoring went way down with regular offense. Btw Tebow didn't play a single down against the Packers maybe that's why Denver 23 points and that's not an endorsement of Kyle Orton.

Fox and McCoy were forced to change the offense to accommodate Tebow because there was no way he was going be able to run a pro offense. You're complaining the offense but what Fox and McCoy decided that the blue print to winning would be play field position, keep the games close and win them in the end and it worked well enough to get the team to the playoffs.

I haven't said he's genius nor has anyone else whose taken up the argument that McCoy isn't the idiot that you're trying to make him out to be. Last season proves two things. First, McCoy and Fox both know how to put players in a position to be successful. Second, Fox and McCoy both have the balls to do whatever it take to win games and they don't give a crap if it looks pretty. Do you really think Fox and McCoy would have gone that drastic of route if they didn't it was necessary for them to win games because I sure don't. They along with Elway knew that this was not a long term solution that's why they took a chance on Manning.

You're good man Under but you're being overly critical and I don't think you're keeping everything in it's proper context.

rationalfan
01-03-2013, 02:07 PM

are you being serious?

TXBRONC
01-03-2013, 02:12 PM

So McCoy changed the offense unilaterally? I don't think so. It was Fox who came out and said they weren't going to change the offense. I don't call what happened admitting defeat it's called reassement and finding a way to win.

Since I don't attend practice or meeting I can say Manning is the ONLY one doing the coaching.

NightTerror218
01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
are you being serious?

I am.

rjent
01-03-2013, 03:17 PM
So McCoy changed the offense unilaterally? I don't think so. It was Fox who came out and said they weren't going to change the offense. I don't call what happened admitting defeat it's called reassement and finding a way to win.

Since I don't attend practice or meeting I can say Manning is the ONLY one doing the coaching.

weeks 1 through 4 we came out at the beginning of the game run run run screen. run run run screen. (sounds like Orton?). When we weren't producing anything, he released Manning to run the offense. The results were obvious. So, yes, Manning took over the offense and has made this team what it is offensively.

TXBRONC
01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
weeks 1 through 4 we came out at the beginning of the game run run run screen. run run run screen. (sounds like Orton?). When we weren't producing anything, he released Manning to run the offense. The results were obvious. So, yes, Manning took over the offense and has made this team what it is offensively.

Even from the very beginning has always had the latitude to audible to different play. No it wasn't run, run, run, screen first four game. That's just not accurate at all. In Atlanta Peyton audibled at least once on one of those three picks in the first half. Also lets not pretend Manning wasn't rusty. Also give me actual proof from the meeting room and from audio from play calling otherwise it's just subjective bias.

There were several people who posted here after Mannings arrival thinking that as soon as put on the uniform our offense would be just like what he ran with Colts. That wasn't going happen nor was going. It appears some people got pissed because things didn't run smoothly from get go. That's naive considering Manning had missed an entire season and it was going to take time to get accustomed to new teammates.

At any rate I challenge you to give me solid proof not subjective opinion if you can.

rationalfan
01-03-2013, 05:26 PM
I am.

OK then.