PDA

View Full Version : Immediate Contributions

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 11:14 PM
By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- A host of Broncos rookies made memorable first impressions during their NFL debuts Friday night at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

Topping the list of standout first-year players was Kenny McKinley, who paced the club with three catches for a team-high 71 receiving yards. The former South Carolina playmaker has had a knack for making plays all training camp, and he showed his skill set can translate just fine to game days when -- a few plays after dropping a potential third-down conversion late in the fourth quarter -- he redeemed himself by speeding downfield and hauling in a 52-yard touchdown reception via Chris Simms.

"I started off early on special teams and then Coach gave me a chance to go out there on offense, so it boosted my confidence up a little bit," McKinley said, hardly containing his grin. "Your first NFL game and then you score a touchdown -- there is nothing better than that."

McKinley wasn't the only rookie wide receiver leaving Friday's game a more confident player. While fellow first-year counterpart Nate Swift only recorded one reception for 11 yards, he was more than satisfied to get that monkey off his back in his professional unveiling.

Swift said he wasn't really nervous about his NFL debut until the team arrived at the stadium -- that's when the butterflies started to kick in. Nonetheless, Nebraska's all-time receptions leader handled the stage just fine. After entering the game on a run play, the undrafted free agent made his first catch a few plays later. He just wishes he could have stretched the play a few yards further.

"I wish I could have got in the end zone," Swift said. "I think I got tackled at like the four or the five, but it was fun to get out there and get a catch and be out there on the field in a game.

"For a rookie free agent like myself, these games are where you prove yourself," he continued. "You've got to make your first impressions. That is all you've got to do -- go out there and do your best with whatever reps you get."

DEFENSIVE COUNTERPARTS

Meanwhile, on the defensive side of the ball, a slew of first-year players made eye-opening plays, as well.

Up front, Chris Baker notched his first career sack in addition to his two tackles for loss, wrapping up San Francisco signal caller Damon Huard for an eight-yard loss late in the third quarter. Earlier in the week, Baker compared Friday's first preseason game to a job interview. After the contest, No. 75 thought he passed his initial test, while also admitting he has plenty of work left to do.

And his veteran teammates have taken notice of his play.

"The young rookie, he's showing up," Elvis Dumervil said. "It is just game one, we will see how he continues to get better, but I'm excited about him, and I think he's going in the right direction."

In the secondary, second round picks Alphonso Smith and Darcel McBath made their mark on the game.

Starting in place of the injured Brian Dawkins, McBath made the most of his opportunity to work with the first unit. He notched two tackles, including one play where he streaked in to stop a run at the line of scrimmage.

"My adrenaline was going," he said. "Getting out there with the ones and going against the ones, just competing. It was fun.

Smith also made waves. Early in the fourth, the ACC's all-time leader in interceptions nearly recorded a pick on a pass intended for Micheal Spurlock, but he lost his balance at the last minute, tripping over the receiver. Even still he managed to break up the pass.

"I thought I was going to make a play and make an interception and then I saw myself falling and was like 'Oh shoot,'" he said. "When that happened, I was just trying to make a play and make sure he didn't catch the ball."

Smith, like many of his fellow classmen, was satisfied with his first appearance under NFL lights. However, he knows he has plenty to learn.

"I still have three more preseason games before the season comes around and I have a long way to go," Smith said. "I'm just going to keep chopping wood and try to get better, because I'm not there yet."

ENCOURAGING RETURNS

Seemingly anyone the Broncos sent deep to return kicks on Friday night looked more than capable of handling the job.

Smith and McKinley each returned two kickoffs a piece, and both with promising results. Midway through the first quarter, Smith returned his first attempt 19 yards. Then, early into the second quarter, he returned Alex Romero's kick 27 yards -- nearly bursting his way downfield.

"Someone got me around the ankle," Smith said. "But the guys on the kickoff return team did a great job blocking and I was just trying to do my part of the plan and do my job. The other 10 guys did their job, and I wasn't fortunate enough to break a tackle around the ankle."

McKinley, meanwhile, handled kickoff duties in the second half. At the onset of the half, McKinley showed off his elusiveness, gaining 24 yards and nearly finding a seam down the field. In total, he collected 43 return yards on two attempts.

"There were some creases, so maybe next time I can hit them," McKinley said. "I'm just excited because it is like a dream come true just to be in the NFL and then for my first game to go out there and do what I did -- I feel like I had a pretty good day."

And it wasn't just the returns -- the coverage teams were equally as impressive, downing a Brett Kern punt at the 11-yard line and a Britton Colquitt punt at the 5. Tony Carter made a big stop on a kickoff return, halting Spurlock at the 18-yard line after only a 12-yard return.

MORENO UPDATE

With time winding down in the second quarter, Knowshon Moreno left the game with a leg injury and did not return.
Following the game, Head Coach Josh McDaniels said he did not have an update on Moreno's status.

"I know that he said that he was kind of dinged, but he said he was fine, then they checked him out and we kept going with him," McDaniels said. "So I don't have any other information on this right now."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9228

Superchop 7
08-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Larsen and Woodyard continue to impress.

aberdien
08-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Nate Swift is gonna be a reliable receiver if he gets the ball some more.

Him and McKinley could be great.

slim
08-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Larsen is a beast. Dude needs to be on the field more.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-16-2009, 12:20 AM

Pretty hard to be on the team more when he plays offense, defense and special teams.

slim
08-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Pretty hard to be on the team more when he plays offense, defense and special teams.

OK, he needs to be on defense more and offense less.

He should be starting at ILB.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Over D.J. Williams? Doubt it. Over Andra Davis, who has extensive 3-4 experience at ILB and has been a quality player at the ILB spot for years -- I doubt that too.

horsepig
08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I think Larsen and Woodyard both will get plenty reps this season.

silkamilkamonico
08-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Anyone notice how Ayers lookedand how much playing time he got?

broncofaninfla
08-16-2009, 09:47 PM

I honestly feel he outplayed Davis at the inside LB spot. Davis is slow and clumsy. I know there are some people who keep referring to Larsens timed 40 coming out of college and have labeled him slow but he plays faster than Davis. He has good on the field football speed and brings the attitude we need on our defense. I know it's early but I'm thinking he might very well challenge for the inside LB that Davis currently holds.

broncofaninfla
08-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Over D.J. Williams? Doubt it. Over Andra Davis, who has extensive 3-4 experience at ILB and has been a quality player at the ILB spot for years -- I doubt that too.

Larsen outplayed Davis hands down. He won't unseat DJ but I bet he challenges Davis.

rcsodak
08-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Nate Swift is gonna be a reliable receiver if he gets the ball some more.

Him and McKinley could be great.

Give Swift a couple years, and he could be a player. He reminds me of a young EddyMac.

Ugh...I take that back.

After watching my dvr'd AZ game, swift doesn't look to know whether he's supposed to block or catch.

Just another ruined player by Callacant.

Lonestar
08-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Anyone notice how Ayers lookedand how much playing time he got?

saw his number a couple of times and he looked lost or a step behind the action.. did not see him in one more that 8-10 plays but then I have not spent alot of time grading the NFLN lousy announcers tape..