PDA

View Full Version : Opponents may decide to ditch conventional wisdom against Broncos' defense

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2013, 09:02 PM
In his heyday, the late Al Davis would often expound on the virtues of the vertical passing game, the idea that the deep ball could consistently demoralize and defeat defenses.

After all, it was Davis who once said, "Speed is an integral part of fear."

It comes to light because the Broncos are considered to have one of the NFL's fastest defenses — maybe even the fastest. It is a swirling, cycling mass of quarterback-chasing humanity with defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio using almost every player in uniform at times.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22293609/opponents-may-decide-ditch-conventional-wisdom-against-broncos

LRtagger
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
As a result, the teams that have run against the Broncos simply haven't consistently pushed the ball toward the edges. Just 8.7 percent of the opponents' carries have gone around the offense's right end and 16 percent around the left end.

This is simply not true. Because our edge rushers get upfield so fast it forces outside runs back in. That is the point and its the reason why Von has so many tackles for a loss - because he gets upfield and sets the edge well. Obviously outside runs that are successful have a higher YPC than inside runs because if a speed back can break containment and get behind the guy who is setting the edge he wont have many other guys to run through. Outside runs that fail end up coming back inside where the rest of the front can clean it up. That brings the inside run YPC down. The article makes some decent points, but if all teams have to do is run outside to beat us, someone would have done it in the last 11 games.

NightTerror218
01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
is it odd that the 11 game winning streak and stout defense came after a change a MLB?

Chef Zambini
01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
I think you also need to look at the PORTER replacements as a turning point for our broncos! from the second half of our first game with the chargers, our D has been a difining force for victory.

Chef Zambini
01-02-2013, 02:36 PM
getting MAYS of the field was also essential !
woodyardhuge upgrade, along with brookings.

Joel
01-03-2013, 02:10 PM
To be fair, the closest thing to a deep threat we've faced since the winning streak started is San Diego. We'll soon see how much we've improved since the Cheatriots drubbing.

That said, we've made MANY key changes since then. Mays occasionally blowing up opponents doesn't make up for so often blowing by them or just blowing plays; Brookings greater experience and more reliable anticipation more than make up for Mays' supposed (but dubious) speed advantage. Rahim Moore and Jim Leonhard have a similar relationship; Moore is still the starter, but I've been relieved to see Leonhard playing much more since the NE game. Obviously DJ, our best coverage LB for years (and usually our leading tackler) is back from suspension, too.

I'm pretty sure our D is much better than three months ago, but it's honestly hard to be sure. For a division winners schedule, ours was pretty soft; just five playoff teams, three of whom everyone in the division played. Cincy and Baltimore are the only ones we've played since the streak started, and neither has a great offense. Again, we'll know soon....

LTC Pain
01-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I especially like this part: .....swirling, cycling mass of quarterback-chasing humanity

TXBRONC
01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
To be fair, the closest thing to a deep threat we've faced since the winning streak started is San Diego. We'll soon see how much we've improved since the Cheatriots drubbing.

That said, we've made MANY key changes since then. Mays occasionally blowing up opponents doesn't make up for so often blowing by them or just blowing plays; Brookings greater experience and more reliable anticipation more than make up for Mays' supposed (but dubious) speed advantage. Rahim Moore and Jim Leonhard have a similar relationship; Moore is still the starter, but I've been relieved to see Leonhard playing much more since the NE game. Obviously DJ, our best coverage LB for years (and usually our leading tackler) is back from suspension, too.

I'm pretty sure our D is much better than three months ago, but it's honestly hard to be sure. For a division winners schedule, ours was pretty soft; just five playoff teams, three of whom everyone in the division played. Cincy and Baltimore are the only ones we've played since the streak started, and neither has a great offense. Again, we'll know soon....

No Leonhard about the same amount he always has. He also hasn't been replacing Moore when he has been out there.