PDA

View Full Version : Bears Request to Interview McCoy

LTC Pain
12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
It's started. McCoy is likely gone as OC for the Broncos. Who are the likely candidates to replace him next season?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/253126/after-firing-lovie-bears-to-interview-mccoy

TXBRONC
12-31-2012, 12:32 PM
It's started. McCoy is likely gone as OC for the Broncos. Who are the likely candidates to replace him next season?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/253126/after-firing-lovie-bears-to-interview-mccoy

So Lovie got canned?

weazel
12-31-2012, 12:36 PM

http://uvs-model.com/pictures/dipping%20bird.gif

Davii
12-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I hope the "good" jobs are already filled by the time our SB run has concluded so we don't lose Del Rio. I don't WANT to lose McCoy, but if we have to loose a coordinator I'd rather it be him.

Skinny
12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
So Lovie got canned?
Yeah.

SR
12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah.

Not yet

Tned
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Not yet

I think they made it official now. Hester said he's considering retirement over the firing.

SR
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Disregard my previous post. Just saw on NFL.com that Lovie got canned

weazel
12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I think they made it official now. Hester said he's considering retirement over the firing.

and then the media wondered aloud, didn't Hester retire a few years ago?

Dapper Dan
12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
David Cutcliffe! Just kidding. That'll never happen. I don't know who we'll get. Any names thrown out there?

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
I'd like to see, for once, a contending team keep it's entire staff to see if they could do it multiple times. But, that would require adults to settle for assistant positions.

Nomad
12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
I heard Bears requested to interview McDaniels:heh:

Nomad
12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see, for once, a contending team keep it's entire staff to see if they could do it multiple times. But, that would require adults to settle for assistant positions.

So if you get a chance for a promotion, you'd pass it up to be an adult and take one for the team.

Foochacho
12-31-2012, 01:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120401/article/devin-hester-considers-retirement-from-chicago-bears

Hester is an idiot. Jay is rubbing off on him. How dare you fire my coach :Cry:

MileHighCrew
12-31-2012, 01:48 PM
I heard Bears requested to interview McDaniels:heh:

I would love to see Culter react to the request for a Josh interview

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
So if you get a chance for a promotion, you'd pass it up to be an adult and take one for the team.

Its asking a lot and I don't blame anyone for taking a promotion... but yeah, it would be taking one for the team alright.

SR
12-31-2012, 02:00 PM

That's not what he's saying

NightTerror218
12-31-2012, 02:16 PM
McCoy could be without Hester who may retire over the firing.

BroncoWave
12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Take him. As long as we keep Del Rio I will be ok.

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
McCoy could be without Hester who may retire over the firing.

I doubt Hester retires. What else does he have??? This will be a chance for Hester to learn how to run a route and catch a pass.

NightTerror218
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
I doubt Hester retires. What else does he have??? This will be a chance for Hester to learn how to run a route and catch a pass.

He has plenty of money, I just saw it on NFL.com Players are unhappy with the firing of Lovie.

BroncoWave
12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
He has plenty of money, I just saw it on NFL.com Players are unhappy with the firing of Lovie.

Maybe. Like 75% of NFL players go broke within a few years of retirement. I'm not saying that will be the case with Hester, but given those statistics it's certainly no cinch that he could just retire and be ok financially for the rest of his life.

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM

Yeah, he is WAY over paid if you ask me (and a lot of Bears fans). They can do without him. He's not nearly as effective during returns as he used to be. If he can't offer that to the Bears or any other team, what good is he?

gregbroncs
12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
God please let the Bears hire McDaniels. Only thing that would make me happier is a Broncos SB victory. I'd love to see the reaction from both Marshall and Cutler if McDaniels was even considered as their coach. :)

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM
God please let the Bears hire McDaniels. Only thing that would make me happier is a Broncos SB victory. I'd love to see the reaction from both Marshall and Cutler if McDaniels was even considered as their coach. :)

I doubt teams are even looking at him. If it gets talked about, I bet it's only the MSM talking about it. What he did to Denver & St Louis is his resume'. Seems the only place he succeeds in is New England under Coach BB.

G_Money
12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
McCoy is the one we can afford to lose. Peyton runs the whole offense anyway. McCoy's getting props for "designing" 2 completely different offenses around Tebow and Manning, when all he did was ask Tebow for help figuring out the read-option and let Manning tell him what to do. And that's after being Josh's mouthpiece. I guess being accomodating is a good thing, and since all Lovie ever did was tell the players, "do your thing and I won't get in your way" a McCoy-style of input acceptance would probably go over well in that locker room.

And if he can hire good coaches, good on him. He could even retain Tice if he wanted, since it's not like McCoy has an offense of his own that he must run himself, and that would get him on Jay's good side. I wish McCoy all the luck in the world.

But as was said earlier, I'd rather lose him than Del Rio (and we might lose both). Normally with a defensive HC, it'd be better to let the DC walk than the OC, but in our case Manning is the real OC. So we'd need somebody willing to let Manning continue to call the majority of the plays and have huge amounts of input/decision making.

My guess? Adam Gase gets promoted. Peyton likes him, he doesn't have an ego or a system, and he already knows how to be just as flexible as McCoy. For the next couple of years we're just looking for an OC that doesn't get in Manning's way.

If we decide to go old school, then it'd be Jim Caldwell, who we already know is fine with the QB calling the plays. He might get let go if the Ravens go another way next year, since he just got promoted to OC a couple games ago.

Gase or Caldwell, that's all I really see on the horizon. Could be some other guy without a system, but why not give Manning the same comfort level he's used to already with those guys? It'll be a problem for us after Manning retires, but worry about that when the time comes. Go for the rings now.

~G

Nomad
12-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Take him. As long as we keep Del Rio I will be ok.

I was hoping USC would come into this game kicking ass. I know it's speculation among fans and perhaps some talking heads about Del Rio but if Kiffin loses to Ga Tech...that wouldn't be good for Kiffin.

G_Money
12-31-2012, 02:41 PM

See, I want McDaniels to go to SD or KC. That'd put a smile on my face and make those rivalry games even more fun. :D

~G

Rick
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
I agree with G Money that it will be Gase promoted and they will let Manning be the unofficial OC.

I am not sure how long Dennison is under contract but when McDaniels got fired my top 2 choices for HC were Fox and Dennison. I wouldn't mind Dennison becoming OC...but I suspect it will be Gase.

BroncoWave
12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
I was going to say Gase gets promoted as well. No need bringing in a new OC while Manning is here. Gase knows the system at this point so he would figure to be the best option to come in.

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 03:21 PM
The Cardinals asked to talk to McCoy too. He's going to a head coach somewhere next season.

SR
12-31-2012, 03:30 PM
I was going to say Gase gets promoted as well. No need bringing in a new OC while Manning is here. Gase knows the system at this point so he would figure to be the best option to come in.

And from the sounds of it manning and gase have a good relationship

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 03:36 PM

You know, they could just be the ones pushing for this. Smith was no more out the door, and the Bears were requesting an interview with McCoy.

NightTerror218
12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
You know, they could just be the ones pushing for this. Smith was no more out the door, and the Bears were requesting an interview with McCoy.

I do not think Cutler ever worked under McCoy. And BMarsh only did for a season. McDaniels brought in McCoy I thought, so why would they push for it?

Nomad
12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Surprised Jeremy Bates isn't being considered.:whistle:

HORSEPOWER 56
12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
If McCoy goes, Gase might be a decent alternative. Tom Moore is still out there and he's consulting for the Titans. OC should be a "promotion" and reuniting with Peyton could be attractive for him.

This is all speculation, of course. Lots of moving parts between now and then. If we win the superbowl, I have a feeling deep down that Manning will retire. He'll want to go out on a high note with his pride, his health, and his legacy intact. If we don't win the Superbowl, I think Manning sticks around one more year. He wants a ring. If he gets another, I think he calls it a career.

SR
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
If we win the superbowl, I have a feeling deep down that Manning will retire. He'll want to go out on a high note with his pride, his health, and his legacy intact. If we don't win the Superbowl, I think Manning sticks around one more year. He wants a ring. If he gets another, I think he calls it a career.

Don't agree at all.
Peyton wouldn't just bail after winning a Super Bowl...not on a team that went out on a limb to sign him. He's too classy.

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
No way Peyton bails if he wins a Super Bowl. I'm sure he's secretly competing with Eli and if he's in a situation to win multiple Super Bowls with this team that has so much talent on him, it's a no-brainer he sticks around to win as many as he can.

claymore
12-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Don't agree at all.
Peyton wouldn't just bail after winning a Super Bowl...not on a team that went out on a limb to sign him. He's too classy.

Not just classy, but an unquenchable competitive drive. IMO, I think he wants to set records that cant be broken. I see him being around for 4 more years. Maybe even longer. He hasnt taken that many hits over the course of his career, so I think he has a longer shelf life than a QB like Elway or even Favre.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I do not think Cutler ever worked under McCoy. And BMarsh only did for a season. McDaniels brought in McCoy I thought, so why would they push for it?

I was responding to a quote in regards to what Cutler and Marshall would think about McCoy, so I assumed they were both here with McCoy, as I could not remember when McCoy came to the Broncos.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Don't agree at all.

Perhaps, but he's 37 going on 38. His better half might put her foot down. It's not like any sports network/show wouldn't shitcan one of their analysts for the great Peyton if he wanted to keep working. NFLN, ESPN, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, or Fox Sports would get in a bidding war for his services so fast your head would spin.

I'm not trying to diss Peyton in any way, but I think he came back for another ring. It's a pride thing that little brother has 2 to his 1. What would he have left to prove? Elway got to ride off into the sunset with a Championship. I think Peyton wants to also. I also wouldn't hold it against him. There's no way we're 13-3 and competing for a superbowl without him. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Rick
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Even if Peyton were to end up retireing before his contract is up I don't see him going to be an analyst. I think Peyton is one of the few who could step right into OC somewhere and I believe he will, maybe even here.

Nomad
12-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Don't agree at all.

Yeah, I couldn't see Manning settling, especially knowing he has a couple more years left in the tank. I believe he's too competitive.

Northman
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
The Bears wont even consider McDaniels. You heard it here first.

Nomad
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM
The Bears wont even consider McDaniels. You heard it here first.

:lol: I'm sure it's not even a thought, but it's fun to speculate.

DenBronx
12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
McCoy is the one we can afford to lose. Peyton runs the whole offense anyway. McCoy's getting props for "designing" 2 completely different offenses around Tebow and Manning, when all he did was ask Tebow for help figuring out the read-option and let Manning tell him what to do. And that's after being Josh's mouthpiece. I guess being accomodating is a good thing, and since all Lovie ever did was tell the players, "do your thing and I won't get in your way" a McCoy-style of input acceptance would probably go over well in that locker room.

And if he can hire good coaches, good on him. He could even retain Tice if he wanted, since it's not like McCoy has an offense of his own that he must run himself, and that would get him on Jay's good side. I wish McCoy all the luck in the world.

But as was said earlier, I'd rather lose him than Del Rio (and we might lose both). Normally with a defensive HC, it'd be better to let the DC walk than the OC, but in our case Manning is the real OC. So we'd need somebody willing to let Manning continue to call the majority of the plays and have huge amounts of input/decision making.

My guess? Adam Gase gets promoted. Peyton likes him, he doesn't have an ego or a system, and he already knows how to be just as flexible as McCoy. For the next couple of years we're just looking for an OC that doesn't get in Manning's way.

If we decide to go old school, then it'd be Jim Caldwell, who we already know is fine with the QB calling the plays. He might get let go if the Ravens go another way next year, since he just got promoted to OC a couple games ago.

Gase or Caldwell, that's all I really see on the horizon. Could be some other guy without a system, but why not give Manning the same comfort level he's used to already with those guys? It'll be a problem for us after Manning retires, but worry about that when the time comes. Go for the rings now.

~G

Please dont bring logic to the table regarding the almighty overrated Mike McCoy. It doesnt go over well amongst the noobs.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – One of the first names to surface in the Bears' head coaching search is 40-year old Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who has experienced considerable success in Denver since he assumed the role in 2009.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Monday the Bears were granted permission to interview McCoy this upcoming weekend for their head coaching vacancy. The Bears fired Lovie Smith on Monday.

ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright also reported the Bears will interview Atlanta Falcons special teams coach Keith Armstrong, according to a source.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4681731/source-bears-to-interview-mccoy

DenBronx
12-31-2012, 05:13 PM
The Bears would be smart to look at Seattle, Saints or Atlanta. Hey whats Jeremy Bates up to these days? Maybe give Bates a look as an OC?

Northman
12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Please dont bring logic to the table regarding the almighty overrated Mike McCoy. It doesnt go over well amongst the noobs.

Wait? There are people believing we will suck if McCoy goes? Really?

BHWHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAA

Signed,
Dennis Allen.

Poet
12-31-2012, 05:23 PM
As usual, this thread can just be ended after G Money gives us reality.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Don't count Mike Ditka among those happy to see the Chicago Bears move on from Lovie Smith.

"I think Lovie is a very good coach," Ditka said Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "Everybody is a little bit different in their manner. I think that's a 10-win season. They started 7-1. This team, there's a reason they lost some games in between. A lot of the wins they got in the 7-1 run were because of turnovers by the defense were turned into points. The offense didn't score enough points in those other games. That's the bottom line."

The Bears fired Smith on Monday after a 7-1 start ended with a 10-6 season. After defeating the Detroit Lions, they needed the Green Bay Packers to beat the Minnesota Vikings to earn a playoff berth, but the Vikings pulled off the 37-34 upset.

"If Minnesota would have lost last night and the Bears were in the playoffs this wouldn't have happened. That's a fact. So how stupid is it then? It really is stupid. If they would have made the playoffs this would not have happened. They did what they did. They took care of their business and Minnesota played a great game against Green Bay."

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4681702/ditka-firing-lovie-a-bad-move-by-bears

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
The Bears would be smart to look at Seattle, Saints or Atlanta. Hey whats Jeremy Bates up to these days? Maybe give Bates a look as an OC?

Bates is OC with his beloved Cutler.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 05:39 PM
When a team asks permission to interview an assistant coach from another team, the candidate’s team can has some rights in the process.

In an effort to minimize disruption to their playoff preparations, the Broncos are insisting that teams interested in offensive coordinator Mike McCoy conduct their interview this weekend here in the Denver area.

The Chicago Bears have already made plans to send a contingency here to visit with McCoy either Saturday or Sunday, when Broncos players and coaches are off.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/12/31/bears-contingent-interview-mccoy-denver-area-weekend/17790/

tomjonesrocks
12-31-2012, 05:43 PM
I guess I'm going to have to get used to every year coaches leaving the team. Gets pretty old.

Am with everyone else--hopefully McCoy stays but what blow if both go.

MOtorboat
12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
@Cardschatter: Bidwill will interview Mike McCoy and Andy Reid, he said.

pnbronco
12-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Don't agree at all.

I agree with you on this. At camp the line I will never forget is that someone told Peyton that he wasn't able to get his sig. He smiled and said "said don't worry I'm not going anywhere for 3 (or 4 I can't remember but it was at least 3) years." He's worked his tail off to get the organization running like he wants and I still get the feeling he still wants to tweek a few more things. I just don't see a man that's ready to hang up the cleats yet.

Nomad
12-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Recycled NFL coaches.....Bears should look at Ditka:ohwell::lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 06:28 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- A person familiar with the situation says Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy will interview for the vacant head coaching positions with the Chicago Bears and Arizona Cardinals this week.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on Monday on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to publicly speak about the interviews, said the talks would take place in Denver.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-mccoy-talk-bears-230329860--nfl.html

MOtorboat
12-31-2012, 06:31 PM
rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-mccoy-talk-bears-230329860--nfl.html

Uh-oh, anonymous sources.

pnbronco
12-31-2012, 06:40 PM
I really hope that Del Rio is the one that stays but my gut is still telling me if he gets a chance at a HC and it's a place he would like to go he's taking it. This year worked out get that he was able to come to a place that his son wanted to come to. He son will be in college next year so one of the main reasons he came here will no longer apply.

It seems like once a Coach gets to be a HC something gets in their blood and they can't wait to get back to it.

I really hope I'm wrong because it would be so nice to have the same D cord for more than one season.

Nomad
12-31-2012, 07:02 PM
I really hope that Del Rio is the one that stays but my gut is still telling me if he gets a chance at a HC and it's a place he would like to go he's taking it. This year worked out get that he was able to come to a place that his son wanted to come to. He son will be in college next year so one of the main reasons he came here will no longer apply.

It seems like once a Coach gets to be a HC something gets in their blood and they can't wait to get back to it.

I really hope I'm wrong because it would be so nice to have the same D cord for more than one season.

I read somewhere that Del Rio's son committed to Alabama.

MOtorboat
12-31-2012, 07:03 PM
I read somewhere that Del Rio's son committed to Alabama.

As a grey shirt.

Nomad
12-31-2012, 07:05 PM
As a grey shirt.

Thanks.........I didn't read details

gregbroncs
12-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I was responding to a quote in regards to what Cutler and Marshall would think about McCoy, so I assumed they were both here with McCoy, as I could not remember when McCoy came to the Broncos.You actually quoted my post referring to McDaniels not McCoy.

MOtorboat
12-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks.........I didn't read details

He de-committed from Oklahoma State to be a preferred walk on at Alabama. Also had an offer from Colorado State and someone else, can't remember the third team.

Nomad
12-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Sounds like Lovie will get a job quick

Dirk
12-31-2012, 08:10 PM
McCoy can go IMO...but I do not want Del Rio to go. McCoy is overrated IMO. Tebow did things on the fly...Peyton does what he wants to. Overrated....

SR
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
So far no one has requested to interview Del Rio that I've heard of

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2012, 09:00 PM
So far no one has requested to interview Del Rio that I've heard of

I have not heard of any either.

SR
12-31-2012, 09:01 PM
I have not heard of any either.

Good.

nyuk nyuk
12-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Apparently the Broncos gave him permission and that's a bunch of crap. Make them wait until after we stop playing.

SR
12-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Apparently the Broncos gave him permission and that's a bunch of crap. Make them wait until after we stop playing.

They can't deny them permission to interview during the bye.

MOtorboat
12-31-2012, 09:38 PM

They can deny anyone.

But it would be a complete dick move to do so.

They are making teams interview McCoy in Denver though.

SR
12-31-2012, 09:40 PM
They can deny anyone.

But it would be a complete dick move to do so.

They are making teams interview McCoy in Denver though.

It was my understanding based on what I've read that it's one of those "unwritten rules" that never gets denied. I should have worded my last post better.

nyuk nyuk
12-31-2012, 09:49 PM

That needs to be changed.

SR
12-31-2012, 09:54 PM
That needs to be changed.

My post was poorly worded. It's not a "rule" that permission can't be denied. It's all formalities from what I understand. Teams as permission out of respect and all that. Very very rarely will a team deny another team permission to interview someone on their staff.

However, no one has publicly asked to interview Del Rio, which I'm totally fine with.

nyuk nyuk
12-31-2012, 10:04 PM
My post was poorly worded. It's not a "rule" that permission can't be denied. It's all formalities from what I understand. Teams as permission out of respect and all that. Very very rarely will a team deny another team permission to interview someone on their staff.

However, no one has publicly asked to interview Del Rio, which I'm totally fine with.

In my opinion they should be told to shove it until after our last game. We need focus.

SR
12-31-2012, 10:06 PM
In my opinion they should be told to shove it until after our last game. We need focus.

They can't be hired or sign contracts until after the Super Bowl but they are allowed to interview.
I believe the team is off this week anyway.

nyuk nyuk
12-31-2012, 10:08 PM
They can't be hired or sign contracts until after the Super Bowl but they are allowed to interview.
I believe the team is off this week anyway.

I understand, I just don't like it. We should be getting ready to smear the Colts all over the field. :D

SR
12-31-2012, 10:17 PM
I understand, I just don't like it. We should be getting ready to smear the Colts all over the field. :D

Why? They don't know if the Colts will beat Baltimore or if Cinci will beat Houston. Personally, I hope Cinci beats Houston and Baltimore beats Indy. Of all the teams that play next weekend Baltimore has the best chance against NE.

DenBronx
12-31-2012, 10:43 PM
If we lose Mike McCoy then I'd like us to just promote a guy already on the team. Whether thats Gase or not I dont know but id also look at Eric Studesville. Gase would probablly be the favorite because he's the Quarterbacks coach and knows the offensive plays probablly better than other position coaches, plus he seems to already have a great relationship with Manning. Either way, I am not worried because we have Manning. If we had Cutler, Orton or Tebow then I would be worried but we now have one of the best ever at QB.....so, not worried at all.

BroncoWave
12-31-2012, 10:45 PM

You don't understand how it works then. No assistant coach worth a crap would go to a team that doesn't let their assistant coaches interview during playoff bye weeks. It's a complete lack of respect to your assistants who want to advance their careers. Taking a few hours out of one day when we don't even know who we're playing yet will have no impact on our prep for the next game.

pnbronco
01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Well put BTB. I have not heard of anyone asking to interview Del Rio as well, so I'm hoping this all works out the way we are hoping for.

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Obviously didn't deserve a thread so I'll put it here...

@JasonLaCanfora: can confirm @UTKevinAcee report Denver denied request for SD to interview exec Matt Russell, but I hear it was at Russell's request

Bwahahahahahahaha!

SR
01-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Hilarious!

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Add Buffalo to McCoy's list.

SR
01-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Add Buffalo to McCoy's list.

I'm glad he's being so heavily coveted. Just goes to show how well he's respected in the NFL, regardless of what all of the message board experts here believe. IMO, he's as good as gone and Adam Gase is as good as promoted.

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm glad he's being so heavily coveted. Just goes to show how well he's respected in the NFL, regardless of what all of the message board experts here believe. IMO, he's as good as gone and Adam Gase is as good as promoted.

The chances he has to be a head coach says a lot.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I saw on a broadcast of whatever team he's consulting with that Tom Moore wants to be a coordinator again. My vote goes to Gase, it makes sense.......

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 06:39 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Now, reports are he just doesn't want to interview for other jobs. It was much funnier when it was just San Diego...

SR
01-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Now, reports are he just doesn't want to interview for other jobs. It was much funnier when it was just San Diego...

Saw that on the ticker going across NFLN. That's pretty cool

TXBRONC
01-01-2013, 07:03 PM
If we lose Mike McCoy then I'd like us to just promote a guy already on the team. Whether thats Gase or not I dont know but id also look at Eric Studesville. Gase would probablly be the favorite because he's the Quarterbacks coach and knows the offensive plays probablly better than other position coaches, plus he seems to already have a great relationship with Manning. Either way, I am not worried because we have Manning. If we had Cutler, Orton or Tebow then I would be worried but we now have one of the best ever at QB.....so, not worried at all.

I would go with Gase over Studesville because he's the quarterback's coach.

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Both Gase and Studesville have never called plays on any level. I know the complaints about McCoy are the playcalling sequences.

DenBronx
01-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Both Gase and Studesville have never called plays on any level. I know the complaints about McCoy are the playcalling sequences.

But they both know the plays even if they dont call them in. Did Studesville call any plays after McD got fired?? Not sure. Both have minimal experience but how much experience do you really need behind Manning?? lol

I would go with Gase too if we were going to promote someone. You have to start somehwere I guess...

turftoad
01-01-2013, 07:22 PM

Seriously fellas, what about Norv Turner? He's an offensive mind plus he'd want to keep kicking the Chargers asses. IMO he'd a good replacement if we lose McCoy which looks pretty certain.

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Seriously fellas, what about Norv Turner? He's an offensive mind plus he'd want to keep kicking the Chargers asses. IMO he'd a good replacement if we lose McCoy which looks pretty certain.

Norv Turner is offensive genius. But I'm not sure he'd fit in with Manning. It's a different system, from what I understand.

Poet
01-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Norv Turner is offensive genius. But I'm not sure he'd fit in with Manning. It's a different system, from what I understand.

What are the odds that he would just roll with Manning's system and OC vicariously?

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
But they both know the plays even if they dont call them in. Did Studesville call any plays after McD got fired?? Not sure. Both have minimal experience but how much experience do you really need behind Manning?? lol

I would go with Gase too if we were going to promote someone. You have to start somehwere I guess...

They know the plays, sure, but the complaints have always been about play calling combinations. That's the hardest part to master, and I'm not so sure those two would be able to pick it up and run. However, Manning makes that a lot easier.

No, Studesville never called plays. I suspect (meaning its not been reported and I can't call it fact...before BTB blows another gasket), that Studesville was elevated to head coach to handle delegation duties so that McCoy could focus on the play calling, which McDaniels did exclusively.

turftoad
What are the odds that he would just roll with Manning's system and OC vicariously?

That's what ANY new OC is going to have to do. Just sayin.

MOtorboat

Who's "he" in this hypothetical? Norv, or Fox?

SR
01-01-2013, 07:35 PM

In this case, Manning would have more control over the play calling which is the best case scenario.

SR
01-01-2013, 07:35 PM

What?

MOtorboat
01-01-2013, 07:39 PM
In this case, Manning would have more control over the play calling which is the best case scenario.

Manning has always acknowledged the importance of having an offensive coordinator who installs a system. Then he learns that system inside and out. I think he understands the dynamics of having a coordinator who's the authority on the scheme. He talked a lot about that before he even went into training camp in Denver.

TXBRONC
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM

That in and of itself isn't a big a deal because they all have to start somewhere. If McCoy leaves I would go with Gase because he is quarterback's coach.

I'm all for McCoy getting a opportunity but not because I have an animosity towards him. Like you I see where he did a solid given the circumstance he was placed under when actually started calling plays.

Poet
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Who's "he" in this hypothetical? Norv, or Fox?

Either, but Norv. I don't see Fox ever touching the offense.

TXBRONC
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Manning has always acknowledged the importance of having an offensive coordinator who installs a system. Then he learns that system inside and out. I think he understands the dynamics of having a coordinator who's the authority on the scheme. He talked a lot about that before he even went into training camp in Denver.

People that think McCoy has absolutely nothing to do with what's been going on with this offense are sadly mistaken.

SR
01-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Yes, but then again how much of the offense Denver runs is really McCoy's "system"? I don't doubt he has some clout in the scheming and does call plays that are named what he wants them to he named, but I think he has less to do with actual offensive design than most other OCs in the league. Just my opinion of course.

TXBRONC
01-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Either, but Norv. I don't see Fox ever touching the offense.

I think there is better chance that Denver is going to promote from within rather than look to someone on the outside.

turftoad
01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
What?

Norv has been an excellent OC in the past.

SR
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM

He's excellent at designing an offense and implementing his style to the strengths of the players on his roster. I'm not so sure his strengths as an OC would fit our offense right now.

TXBRONC
01-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Agreed Norv has excellent resume when it comes being an offensive coordinator but that being said I think Denver would be better served to promote from within if at all possible.

aberdien
01-01-2013, 09:01 PM
McCoy reminds me of Jason Garrett-types which I don't believe make good head coaches.

SR
01-01-2013, 09:05 PM
McCoy reminds me of Jason Garrett-types which I don't believe make good head coaches.

I've often thought the same. I'm actually surprised Garrett didn't get fired, speaking of.

underrated29
01-01-2013, 10:24 PM
It's going to be gase. Ley year when McCoy was almost a dolphin it was said gase was the front runner and we wanted to promote from within.

It's gase. I'm not sure if he will be better than McCoy, but at least IMO he can be no worse.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Perhaps Gase could be promoted with Tom Moore brought in to be consultant.......

Army Bronco
01-02-2013, 01:30 AM
If McCoy goes i think Adam Gase is a good option. I just hope he talks to D Allen and sees how much better it is out there as a head coach before leaving. Seriously you get a two year shot avg.

UnderArmour
01-02-2013, 01:36 AM

I actually think it's the opposite. Garrett is a good play-caller while McCoy has fallen short in that regard. McCoy has a fantastic grip on handling the 4th quarter of games though while Garrett continually mismanages in crunch time. McCoy's biggest weakness is in being stale and predictable to the point we were running the ball 3 downs in a row and then punting with Tebow last year. McCoy has his moments of brilliance here and there, but there are far better coordinators in the league. When we were huddling up at the beginning of this year and using the no-huddle infrequently, it took until the 4th quarter (when we ran the no-huddle) to get going again.

He'll be a good head coach because his offenses play their best in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. With how many games are decided by a touchdown or less these days, McCoy is the exact kind of coach that will help a franchise tilt those scores in the other direction.

Broncomarkie
01-02-2013, 04:45 AM
I personally don't want to do anything that may benifit Marshall or Cutler!!!! I hope McCoy goes somewhere else, if he is indeed leaving

Northman
01-02-2013, 05:28 AM
Yes, but then again how much of the offense Denver runs is really McCoy's "system"? I don't doubt he has some clout in the scheming and does call plays that are named what he wants them to he named, but I think he has less to do with actual offensive design than most other OCs in the league. Just my opinion of course.

^This.

McCoy is overrated. Even the system last year in which "He who shall not be named" ran was something that "He who shall not be named PT II" created.

This year its more of a base system to which McCoy does a very good job of saying "Yes sir Mr. Manning, what play would you like to run now?"

If McCoy gets a HC gig he will fail. Yes, i stand by that 100%.

Northman
01-02-2013, 05:30 AM
I personally don't want to do anything that may benifit Marshall or Cutler!!!! I hope McCoy goes somewhere else, if he is indeed leaving

If he went to the Bears it would not benefit them in any way.

rationalfan
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
^This.

McCoy is overrated. Even the system last year in which "He who shall not be named" ran was something that "He who shall not be named PT II" created.

This year its more of a base system to which McCoy does a very good job of saying "Yes sir Mr. Manning, what play would you like to run now?"

i still don't agree with this. in many ways, i think losing mccoy would be a bigger blow than losing JDR.

and i think there are too many people here who nitpick over mccoy's play calling. that's ignoring the totality of what he's done; number one rushing offense last year, one of the most prolific passing and scoring offenses this year. two straight division titles.

if some OC for, say, Atlanta, had that on his resume a lot of broncos fans would be lobbying for his services. but here mccoy's seen as the beneficiary of his players? not sure why. a good manager adapts his scheme to the strengths of his workers. mccoy does that as well as anyone i've seen in denver. there's A LOT of value to that. the offense only succeeds if the players buy into the philosophy, and mccoy's been able to achieve that two straight years with different offenses. that's not easy. at all.

certainly, having tebow and then manning helps out mccoy. but, again, he's using these players to their strengths. not every coach can put aside his ego and do that.

one more thing regarding the play calling: i love how it's always mccoy's fault for calling poor plays on third down, even when manning audibles into the play.

one more thing about personnel: not sure why mccoy's ability is slighted for having manning, but JDR's isn't for having miller, doom, bailey. doesn't add up.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I think too many people ignore exactly what he accomplished when Tebow was the QB. He completely changed the offense, 33% into the season, to fit a QB that can't pass.... in a passing league. Still able to accomplish having the #1 rushing attack despite everyone in the NFL knowing that we couldn't pass the ball.

Sure Manning makes every OC look good. Every great QB does. But lets not think for a moment that McCoy isn't heavily involved in the offense.

EVERY FAN BASE in the country, whether it be HS, College, or the NFL.... bitches about the "play calling." Easy to do when you see the results before making a decision on whether or not it was the "right" call.

Northman
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
^This.

i still don't agree with this. in many ways, i think losing mccoy would be a bigger blow than losing JDR.

and i think there are too many people here who nitpick over mccoy's play calling. that's ignoring the totality of what he's done; number one rushing offense last year, one of the most prolific passing and scoring offenses this year. two straight division titles.

if some OC for, say, Atlanta, had that on his resume a lot of broncos fans would be lobbying for his services. but here mccoy's seen as the beneficiary of his players? not sure why. a good manager adapts his scheme to the strengths of his workers. mccoy does that as well as anyone i've seen in denver. there's A LOT of value to that. the offense only succeeds if the players buy into the philosophy, and mccoy's been able to achieve that two straight years with different offenses. that's not easy. at all.

certainly, having tebow and then manning helps out mccoy. but, again, he's using these players to their strengths. not every coach can put aside his ego and do that.

one more thing regarding the play calling: i love how it's always mccoy's fault for calling poor plays on third down, even when manning audibles into the play.

one more thing about personnel: not sure why mccoy's ability is slighted for having manning, but JDR's isn't for having miller, doom, bailey. doesn't add up.

Your free to disagree but I don't feel that way.

NightTerror218
01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
So if McCoy is gone who would replace him? i know it will not matter as long as Manning in here but for the post Manning era, or do we see if we can hire Manning as OC when he retires?

I think the OC needs to be stand up to Fox or else Fox will want to revert make to a strictly ground and pound game. IMO Manning is the reason he is not wanting to do that and rightly so. But with Brock what will happen?

BroncoWave
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
So if McCoy is gone who would replace him? i know it will not matter as long as Manning in here but for the post Manning era, or do we see if we can hire Manning as OC when he retires?

I think the OC needs to be stand up to Fox or else Fox will want to revert make to a strictly ground and pound game. IMO Manning is the reason he is not wanting to do that and rightly so. But with Brock what will happen?

There have been no reports saying who, but the common thought process on this board seems to be Adam Gase. He already knows Manning's system and wouldn't try to change it, and Manning really seems to like him. I think as long as Manning is here it would make sense to promote from within instead of bringing in an outsider. Unless Tom Moore shows interest. That's one that would be interesting, as he knows the Manning offense better than anyone on the planet.

NightTerror218
01-02-2013, 01:49 PM
There have been no reports saying who, but the common thought process on this board seems to be Adam Gase. He already knows Manning's system and wouldn't try to change it, and Manning really seems to like him. I think as long as Manning is here it would make sense to promote from within instead of bringing in an outsider. Unless Tom Moore shows interest. That's one that would be interesting, as he knows the Manning offense better than anyone on the planet.

True, how well can Gase or More bring along Brock. Manning runs the offense so the OC does not mean much to me right now for on the field playcalling or scheme but it does for personnel and bringing along the young players.

BroncoWave
01-02-2013, 01:56 PM
True, how well can Gase or More bring along Brock. Manning runs the offense so the OC does not mean much to me right now for on the field playcalling or scheme but it does for personnel and bringing along the young players.

No way of knowing for sure. Gase is a QB coach and has stuck around for a few years now so Denver must be pleased with him. I see no reason why he couldn't help Brock along sufficiently.

rationalfan
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM

go check jake delhomme's passing stats while playing for fox in carolina. he accumulated a lot more yards than you might realize. fox gets this reputation for being a three yards and a cloud of dust coach, but his history, and his present, refute that quite a bit.

BroncoWave
01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
go check jake delhomme's passing stats while playing for fox in carolina. he accumulated a lot more yards than you might realize. fox gets this reputation for being a three yards and a cloud of dust coach, but his history, and his present, refute that quite a bit.

Agreed. He has tended to run a bit more than pass, but when your QBs are Delhomme, Orton, and Tebow; and your RBs are Stewart, D-Williams, and McGahee, what exactly would you do?

NightTerror218
01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I heard McCoy has 3 teams requesting interviews.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8810050/mike-mccoy-denver-broncos-offensive-coordinator-interview-three-teams

Bears, Bills, Cards, and Eagles

Ravage!!!
01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I heard McCoy has 3 teams requesting interviews.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8810050/mike-mccoy-denver-broncos-offensive-coordinator-interview-three-teams

Bears, Bills, Cards, and Eagles

That's four (4) teams.

TXBRONC
01-03-2013, 02:51 PM
That's four (4) teams.

I'm sure that is what he meant.

NightTerror218
01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
That's four (4) teams.

I was dumb and used title of article until I looked at teams. It should be 3 more teams. It did not mention the bears.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Mike McCoy's weekend off comes with a dress code.

The Broncos offensive coordinator is scheduled to break out a suit or two this weekend as those interested in interviewing McCoy for their head coaching jobs arrive in Denver to exchange ideas.

But league rules teams can interview McCoy locally because the Broncos have a playoff bye.

The Cardinals are scheduled to interview McCoy on Saturday, with the Bears on the docket Sunday and the Bills having been granted permission to interview McCoy andwere trying to get on the schedule as well, with team officials expected to sit down with McCoy on Saturday.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22305115/mike-mccoy-ready-talk-bears-bills-cardinals-focus

BroncoNut
01-03-2013, 03:56 PM
oh, the CHICAGO Bears. at first I was thinking bears as in the large land mammals. I was like wtf????

Chef Zambini
01-03-2013, 04:47 PM
keep JDR.
let mccoy go.