PDA

View Full Version : How did brock look?

Chef Zambini
12-31-2012, 02:06 AM
not being a smart arse, I had to work and did not get a chance to watch the game!
I know he got in, late in the third or early fourth, anything to report?

Davii
12-31-2012, 02:16 AM
not being a smart arse, I had to work and did not get a chance to watch the game!
I know he got in, late in the third or early fourth, anything to report?

Threw three passes, all on third down, two of three were caught for first downs the third was swatted away...

He looked good Zam. He played well, converted a couple third downs when the Chiefs were trying to stop him. Had good zip on the ball, didn't force anything, and still had a teachable moment as Manning grabbed him and talked his ear off the second he hit the sideline.

Obviously it wasn't a huge sample, but he looked good in what we saw.

dogfish
12-31-2012, 02:21 AM
How did brock look?

tall!

Chef Zambini
12-31-2012, 02:28 AM
were most of his snaps under center?
I know he spent alot of time in the shotgun in college

Dapper Dan
12-31-2012, 02:30 AM
were most of his snaps under center?
I know he spent alot of time in the shotgun in college

From what I remember, they were all under center. I think the passes were play action. Since it was late in the game, they didn't really ever go to shotgun.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2012, 02:31 AM
He was 2-4 actually. He looked good on two and not so good on two. I wish/hope he could somewhat replicate Manning's mechanics, picture perfect.......

Simple Jaded
12-31-2012, 02:35 AM
All 4 pass plays came from shotgun, run plays from under center.......

Dapper Dan
12-31-2012, 02:42 AM
All 4 pass plays came from shotgun, run plays from under center.......

I never should have sniffed those markers in middle school.

Chef Zambini
12-31-2012, 02:50 AM
I think he needs to be careful that when he does take the snap fron under center, that he does not lean forward and create a neutral zone infration.

zbeg
12-31-2012, 05:57 AM
His footwork was much improved from college. I went back and watched a bunch of his college games and he honestly didn't look all that good. Footwork was spotty and he was really inaccurate partially as a result of said footwork issues.

His feet were much better today. Only four pass attempts, but his mechanics have gotten much better. He's got Mr. Perfect Footwork to learn from, so he'll hopefully get it down and the subsequent accuracy issues worked out.

One pass was a little inaccurate but still probably catchable but wasn't, two looked good, one looked less good. Not a big sample, obviously. But the improved feet was nice to see.

Footwork correlates to accuracy more than anything else mechanically. You absolutely cannot be an accurate quarterback without good feet. So if I sound like the second coming of Rex Ryan, that's why.

Northman
12-31-2012, 05:59 AM
He looked good in mop up duty.

sneakers
12-31-2012, 06:12 AM
tall!

brockembe motumboish

zbeg
12-31-2012, 06:18 AM
brockembe motumboish

Brock Lobster!

http://i.imgur.com/gVg7z.jpg

HORSEPOWER 56
12-31-2012, 08:42 AM
He led the offense, consisting of pretty much all backups, on a FG drive against KC's starting defense. He got them past midfield on his second drive before punting (I was hoping they'd let Prater try a long FG - would've been around 60 yards) and if the game was on the line they probably would've. Dude has a cannon, the big difference between Oz and Manning is the velocity. He might need to reign it in a little bit, but he was throwing BBs out there - the cameraman had a hard time following the ball through the air they were frozen ropes. His accuracy was excellent on the shorter throws. He was 2/4 but one was a drop on a catchable ball by Caldwell. His third drive was victory formation.

You can tell he's been watching/learning from Manning, even their snap count is the same.

zbeg
12-31-2012, 08:45 AM
He led the offense, consisting of pretty much all backups, on a FG drive against KC's starting defense. He got them to midfield on his second drive before punting. Dude has a cannon, the big difference between Oz and Manning is the velocity. He might need to reign it in a little bit, but he was throwing BBs out there. His accuracy was excellent on the shorter throws. He was 2/4 but one was a drop on a catchable ball by Caldwell.

You can tell he's been watching/learning from Manning, even their snap count is the same.

Only four snaps, so it's hard to tell for sure and we don't know how he's going to read defenses or throw with a lot of pressure in his face, but I gotta tell you that his mechanics were distinctly Peytonian. He's clearly been trying to just do what Peyton does, which is the best possible thing if you're trying to learn mechanics.

There's a big gap between where he is right now and becoming an elite quarterback, but I really really liked what I saw from him mechanically, especially because his bad mechanics stood out to me when I saw his games with Arizona State last year. Kid's been working hard.

silkamilkamonico
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
It looked like his throwing motion changed a little. Anyone else think so?

silkamilkamonico
12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
What is the best case scenario with Brock?

How long is his contract?

If Manning is able to play 4+ years (or however long Brock's contract is), I cannot see Brock staying in Denver.
1) Does Denver give him a nice second contract if he has never played?
2) Does Brock take a modest contractwhen he's entering his time to start even though he's never even had the opportunity?

Unless there is some kind of understanding between both parties, I have to think he is here only in case of emergency with Manning.

If anyone wants to look at Green Bay as an example, they pushed Favre out becuase they had to make a decision with Rodgers, and they chose Rodgers. Does Denver push Manning out to go with Brock if Manning continues to play at a high level towards the end of his career.

Nothing I've seen this year makes me think Manning cannot play for 4-5 more seasons if he chooses, which makes me think Brock will not be in the long term picture.

TXBRONC
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
It looked like his throwing motion changed a little. Anyone else think so?

He was working on not dropping his elbow when he throws back in camp.

Davii
12-31-2012, 12:47 PM

If Manning is able to play 4+ years (or however long Brock's contract is), I cannot see Brock staying in Denver.
2) Does Brock take a modest contractwhen he's entering his time to start even though he's never even had the opportunity?

Unless there is some kind of understanding between both parties, I have to think he is here only in case of emergency with Manning.

If anyone wants to look at Green Bay as an example, they pushed Favre out becuase they had to make a decision with Rodgers, and they chose Rodgers. Does Denver push Manning out to go with Brock if Manning continues to play at a high level towards the end of his career.

Nothing I've seen this year makes me think Manning cannot play for 4-5 more seasons if he chooses, which makes me think Brock will not be in the long term picture.

4 years, or one less than Manning's contract. I don't believe Manning will play the entire contract, I think he'll pull the plug sooner than that, but who knows. Besides, the coaches and Elway will see plenty of Brock, if Manning plays until year five they will offer Brock a contract for what he's worth to keep him around, and Manning would more than likely restructure to allow that to happen.

Too many variables Silk, hell, we might win the next three Lombardi's and watch Manning "Elway" off into the sunset.

silkamilkamonico
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
4 years, or one less than Manning's contract. I don't believe Manning will play the entire contract, I think he'll pull the plug sooner than that, but who knows. Besides, the coaches and Elway will see plenty of Brock, if Manning plays until year five they will offer Brock a contract for what he's worth to keep him around, and Manning would more than likely restructure to allow that to happen.

Too many variables Silk, hell, we might win the next three Lombardi's and watch Manning "Elway" off into the sunset.

Would just hate to lose him not knowing what we have, and would hate to kick Manning out with him playing at such a high level.

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I think the amount of respect Elway has for Manning (older top notch QB trying to win Super Bowls which is exactly what he can directly relate to) is whats going to keep Manning around for as long as he wants as long as he doesn't spiral into something bad.

I personally think Peyton feels like a kid in a free-candy-store with as much talent that he is surrounded with. He's always had good WRs, good O-line, and one or two Pro Bowl defensive players, but all the talent on this defense alone has got to make him feel stoked about being here. I'm pretty sure he's said to himself under his breath "So, this is what it feels like to play on a complete balanced team."

NightTerror218
12-31-2012, 01:40 PM

Elway mentioned he would resign Brock if Manning played that long.

Rick
12-31-2012, 01:45 PM
By the time Brocks contract is up it will be about the time for Brock to take over here. The contract here and the contract elsewhere would probably be the same, maybe more here since we would probably be the only ones that really know what he is capable of, unless Manning gets hurt at all and OZ sees some real gametime and someone over pays ala Flynn.

artie_dale
12-31-2012, 01:51 PM
The only thing of value that I got out of watching Brock was he had good zip on short passes that he threw out of the shotgun. But, other than that, they really kept the lid on him. 2-4 passing on short yardage (I think 3 quick slants). I was hoping they'd let us see him throw downfield but I'm not surprised they played conservative. I'm not sure if he has any "touch" but he's definitely got zip (I like zip). Other than that, there really isn't much that can be gotten out of this showing.

claymore
12-31-2012, 03:02 PM

I see the concern, but Brok isnt going anywhere.

1. No backups get starting jobs with other teams unless they do very well when the starter goes down.
2. If that happens, no way in hell Does Elway let the heir apparent go for nothing, if at all.

Matt Flynn is a good example. He absolutley blew it up when given a chance, and was given a 25 Million dollar contract. Knowing Manning is on the cusp of retirement, I think Elway would match or exceed that type of offer if he believed the talent was there.

JMO

Italianmobstr7
12-31-2012, 06:00 PM
He was 2-4. Has a strong arm. Like others have said, all throws came from shotgun. His first 2 passes were good. 3rd was okay, but a little behind Tamme. 4th was low and could've been caught but was dropped by Caldwell. Not really enough to tell if he's any kind of future, but he does have good size and his arm is ridiculously strong.

silkamilkamonico
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd be curious what Manning thinks about him.

BroncoJoe
12-31-2012, 07:11 PM

HURRY HURRY!

Noticed that part of his snap count...

Dzone
12-31-2012, 07:38 PM
He didnt seem to have the "it" factor that Tebow would have brought to the game yesterday:coffee:

zbeg
12-31-2012, 09:38 PM
He was working on not dropping his elbow when he throws back in camp.

It shows.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2013, 04:04 AM
He didnt seem to have the "it" factor that Tebow would have brought to the game yesterday:coffee:

He clearly needs more "it", no doubt. And some cowbell.......

Jsteve01
01-01-2013, 10:52 PM

He clearly needs more "it", no doubt. And some cowbell....... one thimg i got from his time on the show with gruden pre draft was his charisma. He seems to be that type of guy that peole will.like to.play with and hes bright.

Skinny
01-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Couldn't we all use more cowbell?

I know i could...

zbeg
01-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Good article on Brock and how he's taken the opportunity to learn behind Manning.

Hey, a lot goes into being a great QB and a lot can go wrong, but it sure seems like Brock's maximizing his opportunities. And there's obviously nobody better to learn behind than PFM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=8800776&appsrc=sc

Dapper Dan
01-02-2013, 12:07 AM
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3527/cowbell.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/cowbell.jpg/)

NightTerror218
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
good article on Brock, glad he is watching and studying manning. But most of all he is learning the work hard. Learning how to prep for games. Learning what to look for on tape. Thing he can not be coached.

Joel
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I see the concern, but Brok isnt going anywhere.

1. No backups get starting jobs with other teams unless they do very well when the starter goes down.
2. If that happens, no way in hell Does Elway let the heir apparent go for nothing, if at all.

Matt Flynn is a good example. He absolutley blew it up when given a chance, and was given a 25 Million dollar contract. Knowing Manning is on the cusp of retirement, I think Elway would match or exceed that type of offer if he believed the talent was there.

JMO
Flynn's in the playoffs now, too—on a wildcard team, backing up a rookie. I don't think Elway's dumb enough to blow up our cap giving the next Matt Cassell an eight digit contract, nor do I think Manning will play till he's 40. Osweiler will most likely get 2-3 years to study under arguably the best pocket passer AND best mobile passer in NFL history, and THEN we'll see what he's got. Trying to guess based on a half dozen passes in the fourth quarter of a 5 TD blowout of the leagues worst team his rookie year is probably a waste of time. Though those who have it to spare are certainly welcome to speculate; we do have this week free. :)

Ravage!!!
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Clay is saying that IF Brock is impressive while backing up Manning, then he's not going anywhere. The only reason Brock would be in for an extended amount of time, would be if Manning is hurt bad enough to miss an extended amount of time. If that happens, then it might be the end for Manning, and thus, would be foolish to get rid of the back-up that is looking good while playing.

Besides,t he way Manning is looking, his health, the way he takes care of his mind and body.... I don't find it hard to believe that Manning might play until he's 40. He certainly has VASTLY out played those that were trying to say that he wasn't going to make it through the year, and how much of a mistake it was to sign him.

zbeg
01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Clay is saying that IF Brock is impressive while backing up Manning, then he's not going anywhere. The only reason Brock would be in for an extended amount of time, would be if Manning is hurt bad enough to miss an extended amount of time. If that happens, then it might be the end for Manning, and thus, would be foolish to get rid of the back-up that is looking good while playing.

Besides,t he way Manning is looking, his health, the way he takes care of his mind and body.... I don't find it hard to believe that Manning might play until he's 40. He certainly has VASTLY out played those that were trying to say that he wasn't going to make it through the year, and how much of a mistake it was to sign him.

Not only that, but it's not like Manning relies on superior athletic/physical ability in order to get his edge. He's never had a laser rocket arm, and he's as mobile as a garden gnome. He gets his edge from his brain and being able to figure out the right thing to do on virtually every play.

Given that Manning doesn't take a lot of hits due to his pocket awareness and quick release and the things that make him good are not the sort of things that are going to fall off with age, I think he's got a better shot at playing until he's 40 than most players.

Simple Jaded
01-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Flynn's in the playoffs now, too—on a wildcard team, backing up a rookie. I don't think Elway's dumb enough to blow up our cap giving the next Matt Cassell an eight digit contract, nor do I think Manning will play till he's 40. Osweiler will most likely get 2-3 years to study under arguably the best pocket passer AND best mobile passer in NFL history, and THEN we'll see what he's got. Trying to guess based on a half dozen passes in the fourth quarter of a 5 TD blowout of the leagues worst team his rookie year is probably a waste of time. Though those who have it to spare are certainly welcome to speculate; we do have this week free. :)

Why wouldn't Manning play til he's 40?.......

Dapper Dan
01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
What would happen if a head the size of Peyton Manning's got a concussion?

Superchop 7
01-05-2013, 04:12 AM
Brocks biggest problem is field vision, wideouts were in tight man coverage and wide open in 2 seconds, he just does not see the field.

Jsteve01
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Brocks biggest problem is field vision, wideouts were in tight man coverage and wide open in 2 seconds, he just does not see the field.

glad you're able to assess his development after 4 freaking passes. Go nibble on Foles for a while.

Ravage!!!
01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah... Foles obviously has "vision"..as we've seen his impressive performances