PDA

View Full Version : Decker and Thomas

Northman
12-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Are not scrubs.

That is all.

topscribe
12-30-2012, 07:19 PM
The best WRs not in the Pro Bowl this year . . .

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Well I definitely wrote Thomas completely off. I did not think he'd be elite after the Achilles. Actually, I thought he was done.

I trashed Decker for "The Slide".

Manning has helped make both very good WRs now...Thomas' surgeon needs some props too.

And despite he's still a total piece of shit--douche McD could evaluate WRs. Guess he has that.

RyanC
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Was listening to Alfred this morning talk about how DT isn't as good as he could be. Hmmm, PFM spreads the ball, but both those guys (decker and thomas) have my vote and not just against the chiefs DBs. We are the most complete team in football and I personally think that the *even keel* PFM has us on is primed for anything. Karma would be we beat the texans and the pats AFC and the Falcons in the SB.

Dreadnought
12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Maybe the best pair in the NFL, perhaps GB has an edge, no one else IMO. Thomas is elite, ED just a touch short but damned close. They've grown a lot this year.

Army Bronco
12-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Maybe the best pair in the NFL, perhaps GB has an edge, no one else IMO. Thomas is elite, ED just a touch short but damned close. They've grown a lot this year. How about the two catches today in the endzone. Not too shabby.

turftoad
12-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Where are the Tebowmaniacs that said they couldn't catch?

SR
12-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Trolling the Jets board

Army Bronco
12-30-2012, 07:58 PM

Trolling the Jets board No, they are doing anything not football related

Dreadnought
12-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Most of the critics weren't Tebow fans, Turf. I suspect a lot of ridiculous Decker hate has to do with the fact that he is younger, more talented, better looking, and richer than any of us. Certainly me, at any rate. DT took a little longer than ED to get untracked but he was special in the latter part of 2011 (notably after Orton's departure) and even more special this year. He is a superb athlete and talent - Hell as is ED - but now he is learning to run routes and play the right way as opposed to being forced to depend on amazing physical tools.

Icing the cake is that these guys aren't Prima Donna douchebags who whine when other guys get targeted, and who both run block, and who don't take plays off a la Randy Moss, and who don't get in trouble with the Law. I hope we pay them both and keep them a good while.

CrazyHorse
12-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Was listening to Alfred this morning talk about how DT isn't as good as he could be. Hmmm, PFM spreads the ball, but both those guys (decker and thomas) have my vote and not just against the chiefs DBs. We are the most complete team in football and I personally think that the *even keel* PFM has us on is primed for anything. Karma would be we beat the texans and the pats AFC and the Falcons in the SB.

It's impossible for the Broncos to play the Texans since 1st seed plays the lowest remaining seed.

RyanC
12-30-2012, 09:19 PM
It's impossible for the Broncos to play the Texans since 1st seed plays the lowest remaining seed.

Right. We could play the texans or the pats but not both...my bad

SR
12-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Right. We could play the texans or the pats but not both...my bad

No. Denver will play Cinci, Baltimore, or the Colts. New England has a first round bye. If Houston wins, they play at New England. If Cinci wins and Baltimore wins, Baltimore plays at New England and Cinci plays at Denver.

NightTerror218
12-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Guys came along a lot this season. Much improved from last season.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2012, 10:34 PM
When they were being blamed for the ineptitude of last years passing game it was reasonable to wait to see what these two could do with a real QB, at this point I think it's safe to say that Thomas and Decker were not the problem.......

Dreadnought
12-30-2012, 10:42 PM
When they were being blamed for the ineptitude of last years passing game it was reasonable to wait to see what these two could do with a real QB, at this point I think it's safe to say that Thomas and Decker were not the problem.......

I don't actually remember anyone blaming our passing problems on Decker and DT last year. They were young and needed experience, but often played very, very well. Or was this yet another of your tiresome and obsessive attempts to drag a former QB into a discussion that had nothing to do with him?

MOtorboat
12-30-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't actually remember anyone blaming our passing problems on Decker and DT last year. They were young and needed experience, but often played very, very well. Or was this yet another of your tiresome and obsessive attempts to drag a former QB into a discussion that had nothing to do with him?

Lots of people blamed Decker and Thomas.

There were entire threads dedicated to disparaging the wide receivers.

Dreadnought
12-30-2012, 11:25 PM

Yes, but I don't remember anyone not named Jagsbch* claiming all our passing problems in 2011 were the fault of ED and DT. Most of the critics of the WR's have clammed up of late, but they have in past been just as silly as anyone else with obsessive hobby-horses to flog.

* Jagsbch also blamed Mike McCoy, John Fox, John Elway, the Pope, Kim Jong-Il, Nancy Reagan, and Justin Bieber for our passing shortcomings. He doesn't count.

Poet
12-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Thomas sure would look good in Cincinnati.

MOtorboat
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
A lot more people argued it was the receivers fault than Jagsbch. A lot.

Skinny
12-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Thomas sure would look good in Cincinnati.Green sure would look good in Denver. Just once i would like to have that South Carolina home grown talent play FOR my team, instead of AGAINST it at both levels.

Poet
12-30-2012, 11:51 PM

I do remember this. IIRC, someone made a comment in a Broncos games thread that if Tebow can actually throw a decent pass the WR HAS to catch it.

Then the threads...the threads came like locusts.

Broncfan1970
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
I just started here this year and even I remember those threads...

CoachChaz
12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Maybe the best pair in the NFL, perhaps GB has an edge, no one else IMO. Thomas is elite, ED just a touch short but damned close. They've grown a lot this year.

Nicks and Cruz arent too shabby. Just saying

Simple Jaded
12-31-2012, 12:36 AM

Please! I would have thought a Moderator woulda payed closer attention.......

dogfish
12-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Nicks and Cruz arent too shabby. Just saying

roddy white and julio jones don't suck, either. . .

regardless, DT and decker have gotten it done this year. . .

Simple Jaded
12-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Most of the critics weren't Tebow fans, Turf. I suspect a lot of ridiculous Decker hate has to do with the fact that he is younger, more talented, better looking, and richer than any of us. Certainly me, at any rate. DT took a little longer than ED to get untracked but he was special in the latter part of 2011 (notably after Orton's departure) and even more special this year. He is a superb athlete and talent - Hell as is ED - but now he is learning to run routes and play the right way as opposed to being forced to depend on amazing physical tools.

Icing the cake is that these guys aren't Prima Donna douchebags who whine when other guys get targeted, and who both run block, and who don't take plays off a la Randy Moss, and who don't get in trouble with the Law. I hope we pay them both and keep them a good while.

Speaking of bringing up a former QB that had nothing to do with the discussion.......

Chef Zambini
12-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Was listening to Alfred this morning talk about how DT isn't as good as he could be. Hmmm, PFM spreads the ball, but both those guys (decker and thomas) have my vote and not just against the chiefs DBs. We are the most complete team in football and I personally think that the *even keel* PFM has us on is primed for anything. Karma would be we beat the texans and the pats AFC and the Falcons in the SB.victory, revenge, and vindication !

Northman
12-31-2012, 05:12 AM

Actually, i do remember it some to be honest Dread. In fact, i just had a discussion a couple of days ago with someone about it because they were still contending that Decker and Thomas are not all that. Every WR will have drops no matter how good they are but last year MANY were using it as a crutch to defend Tebow's poor play.

Northman
12-31-2012, 05:13 AM

Heck, it didnt even stop there. They were blaming the Oline too.

zbeg
12-31-2012, 06:00 AM

Obviously. Look who drafted them!

HORSEPOWER 56
12-31-2012, 08:58 AM

I don't think many people doubted DT's ability, they just thought he'd be a bust due to never being healthy (he showed flashes early on, but got nicked up a lot). A lot of people were hard on Decker due to all his drops, especially after having such good hands in college.

I'm just happy that they've become so dynamic and reliable for Peyton. He's going to make them stars. It's a shame that DT got snubbed for Wes Welker for the probowl. Welker has more catches, but Thomas has more yards, YPC, and TDs.

zbeg
12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't think many people doubted DT's ability, they just thought he'd be a bust due to never being healthy (he showed flashes early on, but got nicked up a lot). A lot of people were hard on Decker due to all his drops, especially after having such good hands in college.

I'm just happy that they've become so dynamic and reliable for Peyton. He's going to make them stars. It's a shame that DT got snubbed for Wes Welker for the probowl. Welker has more catches, but Thomas has more yards, YPC, and TDs.

And who knows how good they would be without Peyton teaching them, especially DT, on how to run routes. I'm not sure what it says that the two players that I see credited more than anyone else for DT's development are Peyton and Champ.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-31-2012, 09:42 AM
And who knows how good they would be without Peyton teaching them, especially DT, on how to run routes. I'm not sure what it says that the two players that I see credited more than anyone else for DT's development are Peyton and Champ.

For me, it's a good thing. How many super-talented athletes have come out of college and have not been coach-able because they knew it all? DT has shown that he'll listen to Manning and others to improve his craft. Those are exactly the kind of guys you want on a team. In turn, he can be a guy who passes it on to Oz when Manning retires.

turftoad
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Heck, it didnt even stop there. They were blaming the Oline too.

They blammed everyone except Tebow.

zbeg
12-31-2012, 10:12 AM
For me, it's a good thing. How many super-talented athletes have come out of college and have not been coach-able because they knew it all? DT has shown that he'll listen to Manning and others to improve his craft. Those are exactly the kind of guys you want on a team. In turn, he can be a guy who passes it on to Oz when Manning retires.

Yeah, that was a big selling point on DT coming out of college and part of why He Whose Name Causes Tension took him over Dez Bryant. Bryant was more polished, but he showed up to workouts out of shape and he had some question marks about his character. DT was a good kid with a ton of physical talent but with a down-to-earth personality and his coaches loved his attitude.

He doesn't act like a diva wide receiver, but he's got the talent of one. I'm really glad that we didn't take Bryant. I just get tired of the headaches in the newspapers and having to read about being disciplined by the coach and people debating if they're a bad apple and that stuff cannot be good for a team. I'm firmly in the Belichick school of thought regarding guys with character issues. Those guys don't even get on their draft board. They're just bypassed completely. Sure, some guys can do it but it's just not worth the hassle IMO.

Right now, there's a constant thread that runs through the key figures on the team, from Elway to Fox to Manning to Bailey to Miller to Dumervil to DT to virtually everyone. Show up, do your job, stay out of trouble, work your butt off, be smart, and don't take anything for granted. Guys like Dez Bryant or Richard Sherman just don't fit, as talented as they are. I guess when the CEO of the offense demands perfection of himself and everyone around him, there's not a lot of room for the extracurricular nonsense.

I could go on and on about why I'm just so enamored of the 2012 Broncos, but I think I'd just be preaching to the choir. My god I want this Lombardi so so so bad. Not as much as 97, but more than any year since and it's not even close.

NightTerror218
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
I think they have improved a lot. Both look better on routes. Thomas can catch just about anything if it is just thrown up high for him. Both are getting great yards after the catch. Both have been clutch. I think they are one of the better tandums in the NFL right now. Thomas is a solid deep threat and Decker is solid possession. I noticed Stokley is slowly disappearing into the depth as Manning is more comfortable with DT and Decker now.