PDA

View Full Version : PFT reporting MRI shows only sprained MCL -- Moreno out 1-2 weeks -- MERGED

Tned
08-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Update 2

The Denver Post is now reporting he should be out 1-2 weeks and be back for the final pre-season game:

An MRI on Knowshon Moreno’s injured left knee gave the Broncos reason to exhale. Moreno has a slight sprain of the medial collateral ligament, according to NFL sources. The initial diagnosis was Moreno would be sidelined for one to two weeks, meaning he could be cleared to play at least in time for the final preseason game Sept. 3 against Arizona.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/15/moreno-out-one-to-two-weeks-with-mcl-sprain/

Update:

ESPN's Bill Williamson is reporting:

However, the team got good news Saturday, according to a source close to the situation. A Magnetic Resonance Imaging test showed that Moreno has a mild MCL sprain in his knee. Moreno will be monitored carefully and he will likely miss some time as a precaution. But at this point, he should be ready for the Broncos' Sept. 13 season opener at Cincinnati will be affected.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2638/Moreno-has-mild-knee-sprain.html

He still might miss the rest of preseason, but it is better than winding up on IR.

Folks in Denver can resume breathing.

A league source tells us that an MRI on the knee of rookie running back Knowshon Moreno revealed only a sprained MCL.

We're not presently sure of the grade of the sprain. If it's Grade I, he'll be day-to-day. If it's Grade II, he could miss the rest of the preseason, and his availability for Week One could be in question.

Still, it's better than a torn ACL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/15/good-news-for-knownshon/

BroncoWave
08-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Whew, looks like we dodged a bullet there! Praying for a Grade 1!

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 01:39 PM
i cant friggin' believe that after last season,we only got through 1 quarter until another rb went down!
what the hell did we do to piss off the running back GODS !
it must be payback for all that late round talent ...:mad:

NorthernLights
08-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I truly hope he is okay and is ready to play in the very near future. We all know injuries are part of the game, but you Bronco fans have filled your quota for the next couple of years.

Good luck.

Greatspirits
08-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Thank goodness! We'll need him in Nov and Dec when we're making our playoff push with Chris Simms!

dogfish
08-15-2009, 01:54 PM
:hail: :hail:

Italianmobstr7
08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Thank GOD!!!

West
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
That's a big sigh of relief. Him and Hillis should be fun to watch this year.

broncophan
08-15-2009, 01:58 PM
injuries happen......but maybe it would help if he .....and many other rookies......could get his ass to training camp on time.....to help be in "football condition".
Glad it sounds like he is o.k. though.

broncohead
08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I saw him walking around on it before he went to the locker room. I didn't think it would be anything serious. Good news.

Tned
08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
The niner's RB Clayton who left the field with a hurt knee has a torn ACL.

Tned
08-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I saw him walking around on it before he went to the locker room. I didn't think it would be anything serious. Good news.

As some mentioned last night, Orlandis Gary finished the game, even after he tore his ACL and wound up missing the rest of the season.

West
08-15-2009, 02:03 PM

I thought it might be that. He looked in pretty bad shape. Best of luck to him.

dogfish
08-15-2009, 02:06 PM

too bad-- but you could pretty much tell it was something like that. . . always hate to see it-- he's a bottom of the depth chart kind of guy, an injury like this could relegate him to the CFL in the future. . . it's tough to watch somebody's dream potentially ending, and you could see it on his face when they took him off. . . best of luck to the kid. . .

pnbronco
08-15-2009, 02:22 PM
:hail: :hail:

Great news, thanks for posting it.

Dog love this....:hail:

jrelway
08-15-2009, 02:51 PM
thank goodness.

Tned
08-15-2009, 02:52 PM
ESPN's Bill Williamson is reporting:

However, the team got good news Saturday, according to a source close to the situation. A Magnetic Resonance Imaging test showed that Moreno has a mild MCL sprain in his knee. Moreno will be monitored carefully and he will likely miss some time as a precaution. But at this point, he should be ready for the Broncos' Sept. 13 season opener at Cincinnati will be affected.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2638/Moreno-has-mild-knee-sprain.html

Kaylore
08-15-2009, 03:11 PM
When I hear it officially I'll relax, but I'd rather here rumors he's ok than rumors he's not. :D

Tned
08-15-2009, 03:12 PM
When I hear it officially I'll relax, but I'd rather here rumors he's ok than rumors he's not. :D

Ditto.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 03:15 PM
whew ! allthough i think hillis made a pretty strong arguement that the #1 rb spot is not settled yet !:salute:

Tned
08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
The Denver Post is now reporting he should be out 1-2 weeks and be back for the final pre-season game:

An MRI on Knowshon Moreno’s injured left knee gave the Broncos reason to exhale. Moreno has a slight sprain of the medial collateral ligament, according to NFL sources. The initial diagnosis was Moreno would be sidelined for one to two weeks, meaning he could be cleared to play at least in time for the final preseason game Sept. 3 against Arizona.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/15/moreno-out-one-to-two-weeks-with-mcl-sprain/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2009, 03:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4401336

The Denver Broncos, who lost seven tailbacks to injury in 2008, dodged a potential major problem when an MRI showed that rookie running back Knowshon Moreno has a mild MCL sprain in his knee, a source close to the situation said Saturday. He suffered the injury Friday night in Denver's preseason opener at San Francisco.

Moreno will be monitored carefully and he will likely miss some time as a precaution. But at this point, he should be ready for the Broncos' Sept. 13 season opener at Cincinnati.

Moreno was the No. 12 overall draft pick in April out of Georgia. He is expected to have a major role in Denver's offense. He looked excellent in his limited playing time against the 49ers. He had 18 yards on three carries before leaving for the locker room because of the injury.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

Dean
08-15-2009, 04:06 PM
i cant friggin' believe that after last season,we only got through 1 quarter until another rb went down!
what the hell did we do to piss off the running back GODS !
it must be payback for all that late round talent ...:mad:

Our first RB went down about a week ago with Torain; this was our second.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Our first RB went down about a week ago with Torain; this was our second.

shhhhhhhh....

Requiem / The Dagda
08-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, it looks like Knowshon will have a slow transition into the league. I'd say with this setback, his true time to shine might not be until a few games into the season; since he'll have to get ready and stuff.

guitarj
08-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, it looks like Knowshon will have a slow transition into the league. I'd say with this setback, his true time to shine might not be until a few games into the season; since he'll have to get ready and stuff.

If health is an issue and keeps him from being in football shape then then that certainly will slow him down. However, with the the flash I saw of him last night, he was an immediate step up in ablility from what I saw in the other backs. If healthy, he will be a big part of this offense on day 1.

Hillis also didnt disappoint, and will be a great compliment sharing some touches with Moreno.

TXBRONC
08-15-2009, 06:12 PM
That certainly is good news.

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 09:53 PM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/15/2009 02:53:12 PM MDT
Updated: 08/15/2009 04:40:09 PM MDT

An MRI on Knowshon Moreno's injured left knee gave the Broncos reason to exhale. Moreno has a slight sprain of the medial collateral ligament, according to NFL sources. The initial diagnosis was Moreno would be sidelined for one to two weeks, meaning he could be cleared to play at least in time for the final preseason game Sept. 3 against Arizona.

It could have been worse after Moreno was seen limping from the bench to the locker room early in the second quarter of the Broncos' 17-16 preseason loss Friday night at San Francisco. After missing the first eight days of training camp, Moreno reported last week with a five-year, $23 million contract that included a $13.125 million guarantee.

He made his Broncos' debut in the second series Friday, exploding through the middle for 9 yards in his first carry. But Moreno appeared to get hurt while gaining 5 yards on his second carry.
"I know that he said he was kind of dinged, but he said he was fine," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. "And then we checked him out and we kept going with him."

Moreno picked up a first down on third-and-1 with a four-yard gain on his next, and final carry.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13130838?source=rss

Dean
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
That's good news. Even with MCL strains sometimes they are accompanied by tears of the cartlage within the knee.

:elefant:

Overtime
08-16-2009, 10:49 AM
dammit, i was hoping he was out for the rest of the season. :(

EMB6903
08-16-2009, 10:59 AM
^^^ guarentee this guy is all over Moreno's jock (in a positive way this time) come week 7

Overtime
08-16-2009, 11:21 AM
^^^ guarentee this guy is all over Moreno's jock (in a positive way this time) come week 7

guaranteed I won't be.

TXBRONC
08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
dammit, i was hoping he was out for the rest of the season. :(

You can't be a real fan of the Broncos if want a player or the team to fail.

West
08-16-2009, 10:43 PM
You can't be a real fan of the Broncos if want a player or the team to fail.

No kidding. Noone is that big of a cold hearted ass hole.

shank
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
damn.. was hoping to see him play against the bears. still good news... recover quickly know!

TXBRONC
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
damn.. was hoping to see him play against the bears. still good news... recover quickly know!

Since he has window of 1 to 2 week its conceivable that he plays against the Bears.

shank
08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Since he has window of 1 to 2 week its conceivable that he plays against the Bears.

i will hope. trying to procure a moreno jersey before the game either way :salute:

TXBRONC
08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
i will hope. trying to procure a moreno jersey before the game either way :salute:

Are you planning on going to the game?

Tned
08-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Let's hope they don't play him. He held out, practiced for a few games, got hurt and will miss a couple weeks. They would be wise to work him back in slowly and get him into football shape, before throwing him into another game.

underrated29
08-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I hope he doesnt make the bears game. I dont want people to see how good he is. That way i can nab him in like the 8th rd of my FF league.

TXBRONC
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
No kidding. Noone is that big of a cold hearted ass hole.

I don't know West, there are probably some people who fit that description.

shank
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Are you planning on going to the game?

yeah i have tickets to the broncos/bears. can't wait, should be a fun one.