PDA

View Full Version : Orton gets a vote of confidence

Italianmobstr7
08-15-2009, 01:03 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/15/orton-gets-a-vote-of-confidence/

Orton gets a vote of confidence
Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2009 1:23 PM ET
So with Kyle Orton throwing three interceptions and Chris Simms racking up two touchdowns passes, Simms could be on track to topple Orton at the top of the depth chart, right?

Um, no.

Per Bob Glauber of Newsday, coach Josh McDaniels said after Friday night's 17-16 loss to the 49ers that there's no quarterback controversy in Denver.

"I feel very confident where we're at," McDaniels said. "There's no reason to start tailspinning into this and that when we've only had one preseason game."

And McDaniels has some fairly recent experience regarding the disconnect between preseason performance and regular-season play. Last year, McDaniels was the offensive coordinator for a team whose primary backup looked awful in August. The backup in question became a fairly good player once the starter blew out a knee in Week One.

How good? So good that McDaniels was willing to risk his relationship with a franchise quarterback in order to trade for the guy.

BroncoTech
08-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Orton gets a vote of confidence

I demand a re-count.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 01:09 PM
on the bright side our D and the team pretty much overcame a terrible start.
orton looked pretty shaky(to say the least)
but i agree with mcd you dont let the 1st game of an entirely new team,change your gameplan for the season.
all things considered i think the team looked better than expected for a "trial run":salute:

Dean
08-15-2009, 01:21 PM
on the bright side our D and the team pretty much overcame a terrible start.
orton looked pretty shaky(to say the least)
but i agree with mcd you dont let the 1st game of an entirely new team,change your gameplan for the season.
all things considered i think the team looked better than expected for a "trial run":salute:

The Niners were 7-9 last year with St. Louis and Seattle in their division. This was a middle of the road opponent. What did you expect from them?

I expected the defense to be worse than it actually was and was pleasantly surprised. The offense was less than I felt it should be from last year and with the additions that they have added.

Unfortunately, our schedule includes many teams that IMO appear much better than the Niners. Without serious improvement, I don't have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 01:24 PM
just as Gary and mike fixed JAke and worked with Jay, Josh worked with Brady and Cassell, I'm not overly worked up about one game..

Ravage!!!
08-15-2009, 01:27 PM
The Niners were 7-9 last year with St. Louis and Seattle in their division. This was a middle of the road opponent. What did you expect from them?

I expected the defense to be worse than it actually was and was pleasantly surprised. The offense was less than I felt it should be from last year and with the additions that they have added.

Unfortunately, our schedule includes many teams that IMO appear much better than the Niners. Without serious improvement, I don't have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.

The thing is.. the defense was so bad last year that even when the other team rushes for nearly 5 yrds a carry, and completes a high % of passes against us, we are still HAPPY with their performance! This against a team that doesn't have a strong QB, a strong WR, and didn't even play their best players on offense (Gore). But... it is the first pre-season game. They are on tired legs, right?

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 01:34 PM
boo hoo waaa waa....yeah the product we saw in the 1st road preseason game is what we should expect through the whole season....
ever watch football before this year?
geez and the niners had a nice run at the end of the year they have a very good defense !
singletary is building his team on it ! and obviously we wont be throwing 3 picks a 1/2 every game. so yeah,the guys looked good for the first game.
sure orton screwed the pooch a bit but hey...PRE-SEASON...
i worry when the games count....you know like the last 3 last season:D

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
just as Gary and mike fixed JAke and worked with Jay, Josh worked with Brady and Cassell, I'm not overly worked up about one game..

Yea I don't understand it either. He turned Cassel from a laughing stock to a better QB than Cutler by the end of the season.

And I don't like the ignorance of the DEnver fanbase who actually think the 1st preseason game is meaninful.

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Yea I don't understand it either. He turned Cassel from a laughing stock to a better QB than Cutler by the end of the season.

And I don't like the ignorance of the DEnver fanbase who actually think the 1st preseason game is meaninful.

Hey IF he can't coach him then IMHO it is not Josh but Orton.. I'm not to worried about it.. Only the die hard jay fans are up tight..

most were dreaming of sugar plums after the end of last year, tasting the thought of one more year with jay Etal.. not realizing that Pat had enough bovine excreta..

EMB6903
08-15-2009, 01:47 PM

the difference is Jake, Jay, Cassell, and Brady are all talented Quarterbacks

Orton just isnt a talented Quarterback.... Theres not one aspect that he is above average at.

Ravage!!!
08-15-2009, 01:51 PM

I have to see a lot more of Cassel to believe he's better than anyone. Playing with a team that just went 18-0 the season prior, MIGHT have had something to do with his success. He was pressured and sacked the most in the NFL when playing behind NE's line, and was the worst in the red zone with Welker and Moss on the team.

lets see how he plays behind a KC OL with no Tony G to even the odds a bit :lol:

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 01:52 PM
the difference is Jake, Jay, Cassell, and Brady are all talented Quarterbacks

Orton just isnt a talented Quarterback.... Theres not one aspect that he is above average at.

your basing that off of the bears coaching, play calling and folks around him..

lets give him a chance and see if he can improve like Jake did coming in from AZ..

30 minutes it a bit shorter of a test than I would want..

It is not like he grew up in this system or had the talent he does now....

Jake was also used to make it happen by himself took him time to realize he had a LOT of tools around him..

Ravage!!!
08-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Lets not over exaggerate the situation in Chicago. It wasn't CLOSE to anything like in AZ, and the Bears just went to the Super Bowl 2 years prior to last season. Not to mention, their running game was pretty damned good.

Lets not try to make the Bears sound to be the Detroit Lions here. Thats absurd.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I have to see a lot more of Cassel to believe he's better than anyone. Playing with a team that just went 18-0 the season prior, MIGHT have had something to do with his success. He was pressured and sacked the most in the NFL when playing behind NE's line, and was the worst in the red zone with Welker and Moss on the team.

lets see how he plays behind a KC OL with no Tony G to even the odds a bit :lol:

I saw enough of him last year to assurely say that was a serious course of significangt improvement, and the way McDaniels altered that offense to fit Cassel's needs throughout the year was a serious work of coaching. Even Belichek has stated that.

Forget who they have and look at the work of body for Cassel from the first couple games to the last few. He was playing like one of the best QB's in the NFL. And nobody's saying he's at the point, but nobody can deny the course of improvement he had throughout the season.

And reports out of the KC camp is he's looking very impressive and has a firm grasp on what they're trying to do offensively.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2009, 02:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4401279

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Kyle Orton only needs to worry about correcting his mistakes, not looking over his shoulder.

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is standing behind his struggling quarterback, whom Denver acquired this spring in a trade with Chicago. That deal sent Pro Bowl passer Jay Cutler to the Bears after his relationship with McDaniels soured.

Orton threw three interceptions on three straight first-half series in Denver's 17-16 exhibition loss to the San Francisco 49ers, while his backup, Chris Simms, threw two touchdown passes.

McDaniels said it's too early to think about pulling the plug on Orton, who was booed for his poor play and two interceptions in a free scrimmage at Invesco Field last week, dampening what was supposed to be a night of fun.

"I feel very confident where we're at," McDaniels said after the game. "He made a few mistakes, but we're not going to go into this thing after the first preseason game and start tailspinning and doing this and that and making knee-jerk reactions."

The bigger issue facing the Broncos could be the health of top draft pick Knowshon Moreno, who went to the locker room in the second quarter with a leg injury. He was scheduled for an MRI exam on Saturday.

McDaniels didn't hesitate to play Moreno against the Niners even though he had practiced just five times after ending an eight-day holdout by signing a five-year, $23 million contract.

The Broncos return to the field Sunday, and wide receiver Brandon Marshall, fresh off his acquittal in a misdemeanor battery trial in Atlanta, could return for the first time since pulling up lame on a deep route Aug. 2.

As for his quarterback, McDaniels named Orton his starter in June. Coaches say he's come a long way in learning the intricate Patriots-style offense that requires the quarterback to make plenty of decisions at the line of scrimmage.

But he's struggled to put together any consistency, throwing several interceptions in one practice and then looking picture perfect the next.

"I'm not pressing at all," Orton said. "I'm trying to get comfortable with the offense and get ready for the first game."

And he fully expects to be the starter when the Broncos open their season at Cincinnati on Sept. 13.

"I'm not worried about it," Orton said when asked about the possibility of losing the starting job. "I've got a lot of confidence in me, and my team has a lot of confidence in me."

Orton's first interception came in the end zone when he tried to lead tight end Daniel Graham with a pass in zone coverage, ruining what had been an impressive and long drive on the Broncos' first possession.

His second interception -- by former Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly -- led to San Francisco's first touchdown, a 3-yard pass.

"I don't want to make those decisions and have three interceptions, but for the most part I felt very comfortable and felt we did a lot of good things on offense," Orton said.

McDaniels said there were plenty of mistakes to go around.

"We've got things we can fix and improve upon. I can definitely improve too. I told the players that. It starts with me," he said.

Not only does Orton have his coach's confidence, but Simms has his back, too.

"Kyle didn't struggle," Simms insisted. "I really don't think he did. He moved the ball well in all his series, and I think he'll tell you the those three throws are ones he makes every day in practice. He's a good player, and he'll bounce back and be ready for next game."

Niners coach Mike Singletary also praised Orton, who is 21-12 as a starter in the NFL.

"I think our guys did a pretty decent job of being where they needed to be and maybe the quarterback thought he saw something. Orton is a better quarterback than a lot of people think he is," Singletary said. "He's very solid, very consistent and I think our DBs did a pretty decent job."

Northman
08-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Im glad he feels confident. I dont at the moment. lol

BroncoTech
08-15-2009, 02:38 PM
If you're serving up soup in your 5th year of the NFL it's a bit over simplified to think a few more weeks of coaching will make a difference. Our trade left us with all the downsides of Cutler without any of the upside. The interception to Bly, what did Orton see there? That's a throw you can not make. Our coach wont admit the mistake but hey, it's going to need fixing soon.

The whole system is based on a ball control passing game and there's QB's who can run it. I'd rather invest the training on our big strapping young guy Brandster and look for a QB that get's released.

The good news is this is the only glaring deficiency we need to solve before heading out for the season.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2009, 02:44 PM
If you're serving up soup in your 5th year of the NFL it's a bit over simplified to think a few more weeks of coaching will make a difference. Our trade left us with all the downsides of Cutler without any of the upside. The interception to Bly, what did Orton see there? That's a throw you can not make. Our coach wont admit the mistake but hey, it's going to need fixing soon.

The whole system is based on a ball control passing game and there's QB's who can run it. I'd rather invest the training on our big strapping young guy Brandster and look for a QB that get's released.

No offense, but if you think he's going to come in and figure the entire offensive system out in a matter of months and start running it to perfection, you're seriously mistaken.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 02:47 PM

The good news is this is the only glaring deficiency we need to solve before heading out for the season.

i doubt any team in the nfl feels they are ready to "head out into the season" after 1 preseason game.
and as far as ready i didnt like how easy it looked for that coffee kid to bust through our line.
i think we all need to reserve judgement for a couple more weeks.
if orton looks crappy next week i think you have to start to consider other options . but its way too early to say he isnt capable of running the offense.
he obviosly isnt as bad as those 3 picks would make you think or he would never have had a job in the nfl...its called a bad night or better still a learning experience.
lets try to remember this is a whole new team,scheme,coaches,rookies etc...
they are not going to look like superbowl champs out of the gate.
patience weed hopper ;)

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 02:53 PM
No offense, but if you think he's going to come in and figure the entire offensive system out in a matter of months and start running it to perfection, you're seriously mistaken.

well i am all for giving him a fair shake....but,that was pretty far from "perfection":laugh:
and the bad thing was'nt so much that he did poorly ,it was how much better the team seemed after simms came in.
maybe that was partly because the 9rs had fewer starters on the field ...but still,kinda spooky.
oh well i think we will improve a great deal in the coming weeks,and am looking forward to a very entertaining (if not great ) season.
and next year with the system firmly in place and hopefully a less dramatic offseason we should have a solid contender on our hands !!!!!!:salute:

EMB6903
08-15-2009, 02:57 PM

I doubt that 90% of the plays that the Broncos ran last night will be used much in the regular season.. Both vanilla schemes offensively and defensively.... thats why its so shocking that Orton still managed to throw 3 Interceptions in 1 half.

to top that off from what I remember he only threw the ball over 10 yards twice... and 1 was intercepted.

I cant imagine how this guy is going to handle Mcdaniels ENTIRE scheme after that horrendous performance last night

and lol @ the posters saying "its only 1 game"

It was only 1 half.... 3 interceptions in 1 HALF!

BroncoTech
08-15-2009, 03:07 PM

It would take Kurt Warner 5 days to pick up this offense. Start with a ball control quarterback, lots easier.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2009, 03:15 PM
It would take Kurt Warner 5 days to pick up this offense. Start with a ball control quarterback, lots easier.

LMAO

No, he wouldn't. That's preposterous.

Orton made some glaring mistakes, but I'm not panicking until the guy who actually knows what he's doing starts panicking.

Worst case scenario is Orton really struggles and Denver has a down year. Would seemingly be same o same o with the Broncos organization....

BroncoTech
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
If I was coach I might give Orton another start. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking what can he do to clear his name after last week? These vanilla schemes we're running are not complex and about two thirds of the quarterbacks in the NFL could pick this up. Installing 25 plays a week is a pretty standard workload for any NFL quarterback.

As a fan I think the coach made a serious mistake and won't admit it. His ego won't let him move Orton to back up or cut him. He needs to let it go.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Would love for someone to explain to me why they think we're running "vanilla schemes" anyways.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 04:01 PM
If I was coach I might give Orton another start. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking what can he do to clear his name after last week? These vanilla schemes we're running are not complex and about two thirds of the quarterbacks in the NFL could pick this up. Installing 25 plays a week is a pretty standard workload for any NFL quarterback.

As a fan I think the coach made a serious mistake and won't admit it. His ego won't let him move Orton to back up or cut him. He needs to let it go.

cut him ?wtf this isnt pee wee football,21-12 qbs dont grow on trees...he's not elway or montana but you dont run a multi million dollar organization by making hasty decisions.... most coaches know that players have ups and downs and it takes more than 1 tc and 1 game to get familiar with your team and your scheme.....however most fans dont !

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Would love for someone to explain to me why they think we're running "vanilla schemes" anyways.

I agree - if this was an established team - i.e. same head coach and position coaches for years, mostly same players, you would expect a vanilla scheme especially in the first preseason game, but last night changing formations on quite a few consecutive plays in the 1st qtr does not indicate a vanilla scheme, but rather indicates a new playbook.

Banedon
08-15-2009, 04:02 PM
"Kyle didn't struggle," Simms insisted. "I really don't think he did. He moved the ball well in all his series, and I think he'll tell you the those three throws are ones he makes every day in practice. He's a good player, and he'll bounce back and be ready for next game."

Admittedly, I'm a Bears fan...and I'm lurking over here because these two teams are going to have a "tie" between them for a long time. It's not my intent to trash talk, but I have to admit, this quote confuses the crap out of me.

Those throws are ones he makes every day in practice? I mean....that's great and all. But those throws aren't gonna work in games...which is what counts.

Anyway...just was an odd quote.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Admittedly, I'm a Bears fan...and I'm lurking over here because these two teams are going to have a "tie" between them for a long time. It's not my intent to trash talk, but I have to admit, this quote confuses the crap out of me.

Those throws are ones he makes every day in practice? I mean....that's great and all. But those throws aren't gonna work in games...which is what counts.

I was addressing the idea that some think we were running a vanilla scheme offense last night. I was not defending Orton.

EMB6903
08-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Regardless of both Niners and Broncos having 2 rookie head coaches its still week 1 in the pre season, that is exactly why.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 04:07 PM

what he meant was ...he MAKES those throws in practice....as in he usually doesnt throw off target like he did last night.
it is worded funny but the meaning is the opposite of how you read it.
simms wasnt saying " he makes crappy throws all the time "...lol:D

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Ofcourse it did. What do Bears fans really know about anything revolving around the QB position. You're arguably the only organization who's never in your existence developed a good QB.

I do feel a little sorry for Cutler having to go play there. All the potential will probably be wasted, because the organizAtion isn't going to have a clue on how to work with it. It's like having a beautiful single girl in a room full of blind idiots.

Dean
08-15-2009, 04:18 PM
what he meant was ...he MAKES those throws in practice....as in he usually doesnt throw off target like he did last night.
it is worded funny but the meaning is the opposite of how you read it.
simms wasnt saying " he makes crappy throws all the time "...lol:D

:hi: Are you 100% sure that is what he meant:questionmark:

EMB6903
08-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I agree - if this was an established team - i.e. same head coach and position coaches for years, mostly same players, you would expect a vanilla scheme especially in the first preseason game, but last night changing formations on quite a few consecutive plays in the 1st qtr does not indicate a vanilla scheme, but rather indicates a new playbook.

every team in a pre season game comes out with multiple formations, this is the NFL we are talking about... did you see any WR options, what were there only 2-3 motions? how many checks at the LOS did Orton make?

do you think Mcdaniels passing offense is just based off of 5 yard Curls, Drags, and hitch routes? did he even attempt to draw up a down field play?

no because its the pre season... the 1st week I might add... nothing but vanilla schemes both ways.... and Orton still couldnt hack it.

Out of Ortons 16 passing attempts he was blitzed only 4 times, and not once was he getting blitzed on each of his interceptions.... He went against a base defense and still managed to throw 3 interceptions

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
ouch ! jealous much silk ?.....;)
dont flame me i was just lightening things up:salute:

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 04:46 PM
:hi: Are you 100% sure that is what he meant:questionmark:
yes...thats qb lingo ...when they say "he makes those throws" that means he "completes" those throws
just like when a qb says after a game ..."i just didnt make the throws today"
he is not saying "it was'nt me it was some other guy out there":D

Tempus Fugit
08-16-2009, 12:51 AM
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/98/136687-matt-cassel-sucks.html

It's not an easy system to master at the QB position. This is not a "do a 10 yard down-and-out" offense. The QB and the receivers all have to read the cues they see on the field, and they all have to interpret them the same way. I don't know that Orton's the right man to run the show or not. I do know that worrying about the first half of exhibition game 1 is more than just a little over the top, especially considering that the team's #1 receiver wasn't in the lineup.

red98
08-16-2009, 01:15 AM
the team's #1 receiver wasn't in the lineup for sims either and he made good decisions and recovered from mistakes well.

You're right though, too early to say with Orton.

BroncoWave
08-16-2009, 01:22 AM
the team's #1 receiver wasn't in the lineup for sims either and he made good decisions and recovered from mistakes well.

But when Marshall does get back, he is going to make life a LOT easier on whoever is the QB. It will also help if Buckhalter and Jordan never see a touch in the regular season and they just split the carries between Moreno and Hillis.

BroncoTech
08-16-2009, 02:11 AM
We have a quarterback rated 130 and one rated 32 this week. I know the quarterback ratings can be misleading but in this case they're pretty telling on what happened. It takes 14 passes to get rated and out of 21 quarterbacks Orton is number 21. But wait, there's good news too, Simms is the number one rated quarterback in the NFL right now. That's right, that's right a round of applause for Simms.

You can say it's preseason and doesn't matter. In fact preseason is an audition and job interview for every player on the squad that plays. In front of the fans and the coaches. Not only is preseason important it's also vital to allow the teams latest progress to be seen. There is nothing else to go on and being 21 on a list of 21 doesn't sound too warm and fuzzy when your backup is rated at the complete polar opposite.

Yeah I'd cut Orton if there isn't improvement like right now. I didn't make the deal and there's no ego involved in letting him fend for himself out there in the NFL. You can look at it this way, what is Orton's trade value?

silkamilkamonico
08-16-2009, 03:24 AM
We have a quarterback rated 130 and one rated 32 this week. I know the quarterback ratings can be misleading but in this case they're pretty telling on what happened. It takes 14 passes to get rated and out of 21 quarterbacks Orton is number 21. But wait, there's good news too, Simms is the number one rated quarterback in the NFL right now. That's right, that's right a round of applause for Simms.

You can say it's preseason and doesn't matter. In fact preseason is an audition and job interview for every player on the squad that plays. In front of the fans and the coaches. Not only is preseason important it's also vital to allow the teams latest progress to be seen. There is nothing else to go on and being 21 on a list of 21 doesn't sound too warm and fuzzy when your backup is rated at the complete polar opposite.

Yeah I'd cut Orton if there isn't improvement like right now. I didn't make the deal and there's no ego involved in letting him fend for himself out there in the NFL. You can look at it this way, what is Orton's trade value?

You know what else is good news? We got 2 #1 draft picks for that overrated Jay Cutler. Did you see his game? LMAO And people actually thought he was a franchise QB? LMAO

Tempus Fugit
08-16-2009, 01:11 PM

Orton was playing against the first string defense. Simms was facing more backups.

scott.475
08-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Well, thankfully we have the greatest coach/personnel man to ever grace the gridiron. /sarcasm off/

BroncoWave
08-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Orton was playing against the first string defense. Simms was facing more backups.

Simms was also playing with backup o-linemen and backup receivers. That point always seems to be conveniently forgotten when discussing this.

Lonestar
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Simms was also playing with backup o-linemen and backup receivers. That point always seems to be conveniently forgotten when discussing this.

add to that a simplified game plan..

Frankly I'm up for the best man to win it is not an issue for me.. if that is Simms OK as mike was very high on him while at UT..

so far he has not done much but let the best man win and I suspect that will be Orton and that will be great because we will lose a lot of jay lovers to the bears fan.com fan base.. will not have to listen to them whine about how the great jay would have done it better..

now before they get their panties in a wad.. jay could have been a great QB in this system IF he would have looked for the open man.. But since he has yet to learn that attribute I suspect he would have been getting his ass chewed out every other series by Josh..

from what I saw of his series I got to see in the Chicago game , he still thinks he can force the ball into double and triple coverage..

Tempus Fugit
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Not really. A starting QB going against backup defenders tends to be more successful in general, regardless of the backup receivers and o-lineman. It's not 100%, but it's football, and nothing is 100% except the score when the game is over.