PDA

View Full Version : What were you most impressed with last night?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
A lot of turmoil is happening due to Orton's rather poor performance, but what were some of the things that impressed you last night? Was it a player, was it a group of people on the team, just give your thoughts. A poll will be provided.

broncohead
08-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Defensive pressure.

roomemp
08-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I would have to say the defense as a whole.......It seems they have bought completely into the 3-4. Doom might have himself a big year.

NameUsedBefore
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Defensive pressure on pass plays. They still had holes trucks could drive through on run plays but on pass plays they were consistently getting pressure which is a nice change from what was embarrassingly usual last year.

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I would have to say the defense as a whole.......It seems they have bought completely into the 3-4. Doom might have himself a big year.

well he knows how to pass rush I did not see him defending the run nor in pass coverage.. so not sold completely on him yet..

I do think they get the concept of 3-4 just going to take some time covering those that needed to be covered there were TWO total break downs I saw both were no one covering the FB on either of his TD catches..

Tned
08-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't say that the front seven was dominant, by any stretch of the imagination, but considering how much bad stuff I had read about the front seven, and specifically the D-line, I think they held up pretty well. I believe they are above the 'garbage' level that Schlereth labled them.

jrelway
08-15-2009, 12:53 PM
witnessing the defense finally getting some sacks. special teams looked alot better.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't think they were elite, but I liked the fact that Fields and Baker were able to get a solid push and control their assignments on a regular basis. For the first game, workin' off the rust is a must and I thought that we had some impressive plays by those guys on the front seven. Actually, I was impressed with everyone above! Good discussion guys!

Italianmobstr7
08-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Special teams looked good with the exception of the first kick off. D-Line was ok, better than last year. I really like what Chris Baker was doing in the 2nd half. He may push for starting playing time. Also Dumervil looked pretty good against the run and pass. I saw a few times he had very good play recognition and made a couple stops.

dogfish
08-15-2009, 01:11 PM
for me it was the four sacks, no question. . . .

Kich
08-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd have to say Hillis was the best part of last nights game, and it was nice to see the defence actuall adjust to the other team. I really am worried about the QB position, everyone can say it's just preseason but if Orton threw 3 TDs everyone would be saying "see we don't need Cutler!" the hard truth is Jay wanted out or Coach Mac Wanted him out despite his talent. Now the Broncos as an orginization have to rebuild at a position we were strong at. I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here but the fact is Jay Cutler was the best QB we have had in this town since Elway, no he is not Elway or as good but shall I list the names of our QBs since? would you take any of those guys over Cutler? Would you take what we have now over Cutler? I don't think so.

BroncoWave
08-15-2009, 01:15 PM

My thoughts exactly. I really like where the defense is at right now.

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't think they were elite, but I liked the fact that Fields and Baker were able to get a solid push and control their assignments on a regular basis. For the first game, workin' off the rust is a must and I thought that we had some impressive plays by those guys on the front seven. Actually, I was impressed with everyone above! Good discussion guys!

I had to do a double take on the first couple of sacks wondering if I was flashing back to another game.. :salute:

Ravage!!!
08-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I'd have to say Hillis was the best part of last nights game, .

Great one... I would have to second this. Hillis was, imo, by FAR the best thing from last nights game.

BroncoWave
08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Great one... I would have to second this. Hillis was, imo, by FAR the best thing from last nights game.

I guess I am looking at this from a different perspective but I disagree. Hillis was great but we all know that he is capable of playing like that and that was no big surprise. He was just doing what he was supposed to do.

I was much more impressed with the starting defense just because of the level they played at compared to last season and the fact that they seem to be ahead of where most of us thought they would be in this game.

Ravage!!!
08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I guess I am looking at this from a different perspective but I disagree. Hillis was great but we all know that he is capable of playing like that and that was no big surprise. He was just doing what he was supposed to do.

I was much more impressed with the starting defense just because of the level they played at compared to last season and the fact that they seem to be ahead of where most of us thought they would be in this game.

Well, that was my first impression too. However, I think we are just judging it based on how poorly it played last season. We are just glad they are in the game!

But when I look again, the Niners nearly ran for 5 yrds a carry, and completed a high pecentage of their passes. This against a very pedestrian offense tht doesn't have great talent at QB, very good WR talent, and sat both Gore and Bruce for the game.

Now.. I know its just the first pre-season game, and all. But I was defending our last year's defense saying the same thing when they were beaten badly in the first pre-season game. Did we get beaten 'badly'.. nooo, not at all. But we played a very mediocre team at best without their best players.

So for me... Hillis was the highlight. But I can understand those liking how the defense looked.

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Hillis was Hillis nothing much more to say about him..

I was totally impressed with ST and the defense not appearing to be bottom feeders again..

I could care less if they are only ranked 22 this coming year considering the massive improvement that would be.. we are not looking an an elite team till 2010 or 11 time to realize it.. Rome was not built in a DAY..

broncohead
08-15-2009, 01:49 PM
well he knows how to pass rush I did not see him defending the run nor in pass coverage.. so not sold completely on him yet..

I do think they get the concept of 3-4 just going to take some time covering those that needed to be covered there were TWO total break downs I saw both were no one covering the FB on either of his TD catches..

I think on one of those TD passes the the FB was a blitz with 3 left to cover.

BroncoTech
08-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I hope it's not just a mirage but i thought I saw some sacks last night. Maybe if the DB's can take away some of the first reads we'll have some pressure on the QB this season. Baker looked like a nice jolly fellow always looking to meet new people, like quarterbacks. Perhaps we can introduce him to a few.

Our special teams looked better. Our 'wedge' looks really weird with the new rule and all, but Smith looked good. The kick offs to the 20 yard line I don't get. Maybe the game is just passing me by.

Royal is the man this year. We have some other guys too. We didn't get to see much of the tight end worked in there. Hillis and Walker looked alright.

Lonestar
08-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I think on one of those TD passes the the FB was a blitz with 3 left to cover.

some one dropped tha ball on both of them.. or the QB made hell of a read.. I did not watch the game more than once so not exactly sure but neither time was he covered..

one of the blitzers needed to notice he was out in the pattern

broncohead
08-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I hope it's not just a mirage but i thought I saw some sacks last night. Maybe if the DB's can take away some of the first reads we'll have some pressure on the QB this season. Baker looked like a nice jolly fellow always looking to meet new people, like quarterbacks. Perhaps we can introduce him to a few.

Our special teams looked better. Our 'wedge' looks really weird with the new rule and all, but Smith looked good. The kick offs to the 20 yard line I don't get. Maybe the game is just passing me by.

Royal is the man this year. We have some other guys too. We didn't get to see much of the tight end worked in there. Hillis and Walker looked alright.

Ya where was Schef?

Greatspirits
08-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Aside from all the doom and gloom that seems to be going around (online and in the papers) I was pretty impressed with a lot of things last night. I thought the offense look great for being the first preseason game with a new coach and a new system. If it wasnt for the Int's we would have put up at least 24 points. The defense I thought showed the biggest improvement, there was constant pressure on the quarterback and they looked more physical at the point of attack. Yes there was some break downs, but those can be fixed. Obviously, the biggest concern is the quarterback so we'll have to watch how that plays out, but all in all, I like the direction we're headed in!

Northman
08-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Secondary still has some questions but Smith played very well.

BroncoWave
08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Secondary still has some questions but Smith played very well.

Remember McBath was starting over Dawkins last night so whenever he comes back I think that will help to shore up the secondary.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 03:10 PM
royal showed once again that he does'nt need marshall in the game to be productive.

hillis showed he has no ill affects from his injury (physically or mentally)
he made me laugh when he was dodging and dragging defenders on that late run...it was awesome ,he has NO QUIT in him.
the d-line showed some spirit and strenghth for the first time in a looooong time.

champ showed he has'nt played enough this year (a bit rusty)
orton showed he has to get his timing down with some recievers and obviously needs to keep a closer eye on opposing secondaries.

mcdaniels learned he should let 12th picked rb's condition and train for more than a week before letting them play.and that a tie feels better than a loss.

and i learned not to get too worked up over the first preseason game.:D

Overtime
08-15-2009, 03:17 PM
very impressed with the way Chris Simms came out in the 2nd half, and engineered an efficient, methodical scoring drive.

honz
08-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I've only seen part of SF's first drive so far (my recording got messed up), but I was in shock that I couldn't easily predict what everyone of our defensive players was going to do on every play. We actually disguised our pass rush and didn't line up our DB's 10 yards back on every play. It took me a while to figure out whether we were cheating or not! :lol:

broncofaninfla
08-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I was impressed most with Nolans schemes. Even his vanilla preseason stuff was more effective than anything Slowic ever put on a field. Players are being put in positions to make plays. With that being said I wasn't impressed with Davis at all. Seemed VERY slow on the field. Larsen or Woodyard look like better options to line up net to DJ.
On the offensive side of the ball the play calling was much better in the second half and Hillis showed why he needs the ball more. The kid is a straight up player.

honz
08-15-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm sorry, but conditioning has nothing to do with an MCL sprain. Shit happens when legs get caught and knees twist.

spikerman
08-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Hillis was the best player on the field last night for the Broncos.

T.K.O.
08-15-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry, but conditioning has nothing to do with an MCL sprain. Shit happens when legs get caught and knees twist.

yeah but making cuts,reading gaps and powering through without getting twisted and caught up has alot to do with conditionig.
it isnt a coinkydink that he usually plays a whole season w/o injury (not 3 carries)
anyway im not blaming anyone it is mostly bad luck ...but we cant afford anymore bad luck this year !:D
AND IT WONT BE TOLERATED !

pnbronco
08-15-2009, 04:11 PM
The D as a whole, plus I was happy to see a ST our there and they are still in the learning part of the season.....

MOtorboat
08-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Quarterback pressure, and the offensive line and wide receiver corps are still elite.

frauschieze
08-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I expected our O line to still be damn good and they were. But I was a bit surprised to see that our 2nd string O line ain't too shabby either. Dennison is the man!

Also, I think I forgot what a sack looked like. "Wait a minute.....you mean we can hit the quarterback when he still has the ball?!"

BroncoWave
08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Quarterback pressure, and the offensive line and wide receiver corps are still elite.

And as well as our WR corps were last night, they will only get exponentially better once Marshall gets back.

pnbronco
08-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I expected our O line to still be damn good and they were. But I was a bit surprised to see that our 2nd string O line ain't too shabby either. Dennison is the man!

Also, I think I forgot what a sack looked like. "Wait a minute.....you mean we can hit the quarterback when he still has the ball?!"

You know frau I thought so too. In fact when Simms had time I thought this is the second team right? Also when they had the first sack I went what was that, I don't even think I yelled because I was in shock...:eek:

frauschieze
08-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I am still in shock that we had four sacks last night....the same number Dumervil had all season last year. And there was some pretty consistent pressure too. Ayers looks to be a step slow but once he gets it, he could be a real force.

spikerman
08-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I liked the sacks last night and the defense tackled much better, but they still gave up way too many big plays. During SF's first drive I kept thinking that this year's defense reminded me too much of last year's defense. I'm going to try to be optimistic though and believe that as they get more comfortable and can quit thinking and start reacting, some of those big plays will go away. I was much happier about the kick coverage teams last night.

One last thing. If McDaniels really wants a tough, intimidating defense he has got to find a way to get Larsen more time at linebacker. He hustles and when he gets to the ball carrier he arrives in anger. Exactly what you want to see out of a linebacker.

guitarj
08-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Other than Orton's performance, there were a lot of good things I saw last night.
One play in particular though was Simms touchdown. He got a bad snap, out of the shotgun, reached down and scooped the ball up off of the ground while keeping his eyes downfield, then avoiding the pressure and slinging the ball for a 52 yard td. Even though it was against 3rd teamers, that was a great play by Simms!!!

TXBRONC
08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I thought the first unit did well considering that offense turned the ball over on three straight possessions.

Dean
08-15-2009, 09:46 PM
There were several phases and individuals I was impressed with. However, the question was who were you most impressed with. I would have to say special teams. I had to google to see what that segment was called. My memory after all this time had faded.

BroncoWave
08-16-2009, 01:24 AM
One more thing I wanted to point out, I was very impressed with Jeb Putzier. He was a favorite of mine back during the Plummer era and it was nice to see him get a couple of catches an a TD. Hell IIRC he was the only TE to even get a catch in the game. Unfortunately he probably won't make the team with Scheffler, Graham, and Quinn all locks for roster spots but it was nice to see him do well in the game.

Elevation inc
08-16-2009, 03:17 AM
positives-

Its gotta be be the sacks......seriously, both our 3-4 DE's and our second string NT got a sack....they aint even the guys that are suppose to be big the big sack masters...lol

good push.....we still need to work on gap responsibility in the run game, and our Lb's need to reconize when to dsrop back and when to crash the line a bit better.

another thing i liked was our second level tackling, last years defense would have let coffe have 2 runs of 60 plus yds last night.....

TXBRONC
08-16-2009, 06:29 AM
One more thing I wanted to point out, I was very impressed with Jeb Putzier. He was a favorite of mine back during the Plummer era and it was nice to see him get a couple of catches an a TD. Hell IIRC he was the only TE to even get a catch in the game. Unfortunately he probably won't make the team with Scheffler, Graham, and Quinn all locks for roster spots but it was nice to see him do well in the game.

I was just thinking that myself, that Jeb has uphill battle to make the team.

haroldthebarrel
08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I think there was so many positive things out there that it really is a shame that the really negative was Orton and that overshadows so much.

Several things I did like that may have not been mentioned.
1. They played hard all game. They came back several times from Ortons to's.
That may show that there is character on the team.
2. The team seemed a lot more conditioned than last year. Which if right is very important.
A team like Denver who practices at such high altitude should have so many more red blood cells than the other players. And the fact that we often under Shanahan seemed gassed in the fourth quarter was and should be inexcusable.
3. The offense looks solid. The Oline, running game and receiving game looked very solid.
4. The defense was attacking and had pressure. and the pressure wasnt due to exotic blitzing.
5. Several backups played pretty good. But perhaps most encouraging was that the backups at the OL was pretty good.

I dont worry about Ortons interceptions at all. He has never been a qb who makes many bad decisions. Rather too conservative. And I have no doubt McDaniels will help him along the way. I dont think he will loose us many games, but to be a superbowl contender we need a qb who can win us the games as well. We will see.
But all in all it was a lot more encouraging than I expected.

Dreadnought
08-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Lots of good stuff, but I was most pleasantly surprised by Chris Simms. Regardless of what happens with Orton Simms might be a longish term answer at backup QB.

DenBronx
08-16-2009, 11:26 AM
i went to the game and i have to say i was most impressed on how many bronco fans live in california. they were everywhere at this game and everyone was sporting their bronco gear. we lost but fun game though!