PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Could Be Shopping For A Back

Skinny
09-01-2007, 10:36 AM
September 1, 2007
By Rob Demovsky

Several RBs could be available after teams make final roster cuts

If the Green Bay Packers want to add another running back either via trade or a waiver claim following today's cuts, they might look to castoffs from another team that runs the zone blocking scheme.

Last year, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson picked up fullback Brandon Miree in large part because Miree spent parts of two seasons in a similar rushing offense with the Denver Broncos.

There's a chance Thompson again could look to Denver for help. This time, it would be in the form of a much-needed healthy halfback. The Broncos have an excess of running backs, and might cut second-year pro Mike Bell or rookie Selvin Young. There's sure to be a bevy of backs available after today's cuts, but few have the zone-scheme experience backs in Denver possess.

There's a possibility Thompson will stand pat and not add another back, but with injuries to his top three backs — Brandon Jackson (concussion), Vernand Morency (knee) and Noah Herron (knee) — he might be forced to make a roster move, especially if he didn't see enough from rookie DeShawn Wynn in Thursday's preseason finale at Tennessee.

Jackson has been listed as day-to-day after sustaining what coach Mike McCarthy called "a mild concussion" in practice Sunday. The rookie second-round pick, who had been the No. 1 back since Morency injured a knee during the first practice of training camp, didn't play against the Titans.

Morency never returned for a full practice and missed all four preseason games, so even if he can play in the Sept. 9 regular-season opener against Philadelphia, he's not likely to be in top football shape given that he hasn't been hit since last season.

Herron said after the game Thursday that his injury isn't serious, and he would be ready for Week 1. Herron, however, is better suited as third-down back and would be only a last-resort option as a starter.

"I'll be fine," Herron said. "It'll be all right."

Though running backs can change teams and have an immediate impact easier than other skill-position players, the zone-blocking scheme the Packers use makes it more difficult, especially for a back who's a novice in the system.

The 6-foot, 220-pound Bell played in 15 games, including three starts, for the Broncos last season, and rushed 157 times for 677 yards (a 4.3-yard average) and scored eight touchdowns. In his best game, he rushed for 136 yards on 15 carries and scored two touchdowns against the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 29.

Bell carried 12 times for 52 yards in the first two preseason games this summer but didn't get a carry in the final two games, in part because he has been bothered by a hip injury and in part because the Broncos played him some at fullback.

Injuries to Bell and starter Travis Henry (knee) opened the door for Young, an undrafted rookie from Texas. The 5-foot-11, 207-pounder led the Broncos in rushing during the preseason with 167 yards on 34 carries (a 4.9-yard average). It would seem unlikely the Broncos would have room for both Bell and Young on their 53-man roster.

Another hot name is New Orleans Saints rookie Pierre Thomas, an undrafted free agent from Illinois. In the Saints' last two preseason games, Thomas carried 27 times and gained 171 yards (a 6.3-yard average). The Saints have Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush and rookie fourth-round pick Antonio Pittman on their roster. They also have Ashwaubenon native Aaron Stecker, who is more of a returner and special-teams player than a running back.

"It looks like it's going right down to the wire," Thomas' agent, Reginald Blackwell, said Friday afternoon. "Obviously, (the Saints) want to keep him on their practice squad, but they don't want to take the chance of cutting him and letting someone else pick him up. I know the Packers initially had some interest (in Thomas) when he first came out after the draft, but they didn't pull the trigger."

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070901/PKR01/709010452/1989

If Bell or Young are not cut/released, GB may offer a trade for one of them when the final rosters are done. There RB position is beat up and hurting bad.

Fan in Exile
09-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I so already called this one. As banged up as they are it may be best that they trade for a guy like Cecil, or Bell.

Skinny
09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I so already called this one. As banged up as they are it may be best that they trade for a guy like Cecil, or Bell.I remember that. Good call.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Green Bay and Denver have fantastic working relations and it'd be interesting to see if any sort of deal could be put in place, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Thompson is an extremely hard-headed, and when you mix him in with Sundquist there are bound to be fireworks. Denver would have all the leverage in this situation where they would be sending a back to Green Bay, since Green Bay is in need of one badly.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-01-2007, 01:41 PM
mike bell lets ship him there we could get a lot for him like you said they are desperate

DenBronx
09-01-2007, 02:06 PM
i think we would get the most for mike bell. as a rookie he did pretty good. we would probablly get a 4th rounder at worst for him....since its green bay an early fourth.

id like to see them send over kgb.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Bell would be the only back they'd be interested in, imo. Sapp has been a FB the last two years and Young is a rookie they could have drafted with one of their SEVEN day2 picks.

Unless they tried to sign Hall as a FA and failed, Bell is the most attractive. But there rumors that he'll be cut, rumors the Pack have no doubt caught wind of.

I Shanahan can something for Bell that'd be nice.....

Fan in Exile
09-01-2007, 03:09 PM
I know they could have gotten young in the draft, but they already had a RB in the second round who is now injured. Also Morency is injured. To top that off Young has been able to show that he can run in the system so he has to look better now then he uased to.

Of course it looks like Hall is getting cut so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 03:12 PM
I know they could have gotten young in the draft, but they already had a RB in the second round who is now injured. Also Morency is injured. To top that off Young has been able to show that he can run in the system so he has to look better now then he uased to.

Of course it looks like Hall is getting cut so we'll see how it all shakes out.

The Pack drafted DeShawn Wynn in the 7th round too....

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
It would be nice if we could make a trade with Packers, I don't know what we could get but I like the idea.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Green Bay and Denver have fantastic working relations and it'd be interesting to see if any sort of deal could be put in place, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Thompson is an extremely hard-headed, and when you mix him in with Sundquist there are bound to be fireworks. Denver would have all the leverage in this situation where they would be sending a back to Green Bay, since Green Bay is in need of one badly.

I don't know that we have fantastic working relationship other than trading with them to get Walker I can think of any other business we've done with them in rescent years.

The best working realationship Denver has is with the Redskins.

Skinny
09-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't know that we have fantastic working relationship other than trading with them to get Walker I can think of any other business we've done with them in rescent years.

The best working realationship Denver has is with the Redskins.If i remember correctly TX, we traded LB Nate wayne to GB and DE David Bowens. Exactly what i can't remember. Or we recieved Bowens in a trade or something to that effect.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 04:25 PM
If i remember correctly TX, we traded LB Nate wayne to GB and DE David Bowens. Exactly what i can't remember. Or we recieved Bowens in a trade or something to that effect.

I forgot about that, but that was over 10 years ago. Thompson even there GM then?

Skinny
09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I forgot about that, but that was over 10 years ago. Thompson even there GM then?Those trades were in 2000 when Wolfe was the GM. Good point.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Those trades were in 2000 when Wolfe was the GM. Good point.

Obviously we have made trades with them in the past so it's possible. I this time there is a big difference in who in the driver's seat. Last time the Packers were because we wanted and need a receiver like Javon, now I think Shanahan is in the driver's seat.

Edit: Thanks for straightening me out about when that trade took place. :2thumbs:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
That's not the point TX, you don't have to continuously make trades with teams to have good working relations. The franchises of Green Bay and Denver have a great deal of respect for one another. The Walker trade is just a fine example of them having good relations. In the end, all trades are about getting things you want done, so when you find a suitor, more power to you. I can guarantee when Draft Day rolls around, as usual - the Broncos are on the phones and Green Bay is probably always a willing partner or suitor. There are a ton of reasons why certain things don't get done, but that's the nature of the business, it's cut throat, but I've spoken to multiple people who have nothing to say but good things about the relationship between the Broncos and the Packers.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
That's not the point TX, you don't have to continuously make trades with teams to have good working relations. The franchises of Green Bay and Denver have a great deal of respect for one another. The Walker trade is just a fine example of them having good relations. In the end, all trades are about getting things you want done, so when you find a suitor, more power to you. I can guarantee when Draft Day rolls around, as usual - the Broncos are on the phones and Green Bay is probably always a willing partner or suitor. There are a ton of reasons why certain things don't get done, but that's the nature of the business, it's cut throat, but I've spoken to multiple people who have nothing to say but good things about the relationship between the Broncos and the Packers.

Having two transactions in seven years is exactly fantastic relationship. I didn't say it was bad but fantastic, I don't see that. Also what I read interviews with Sundquist the Broncos are on the will everyone its not just the Packers.

Skinny
09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Having two transactions in seven years is exactly fantastic relationship. I didn't say it was bad but fantastic, I don't see that. Also what I read interviews with Sundquist the Broncos are on the will everyone its not just the Packers.And now we can even throw the Raiders in there.

Who'da thunk it! :shocked:

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 05:44 PM
And now we can even throw the Raiders in there.

Who'da thunk it! :shocked:

:lol: Yeah it floored me and I would have never expected it.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Having two transactions in seven years is exactly fantastic relationship. I didn't say it was bad but fantastic, I don't see that. Also what I read interviews with Sundquist the Broncos are on the will everyone its not just the Packers.

Then you don't see it, but numerous people I've spoken to who are from the Green Bay area or who have got to sit down and War Rooms and monitor phone conversations have said otherwise. I'm going to trust those people.