PDA

View Full Version : Is John Elway executive of the year?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Denver quarterback Peyton Manning and linebacker Von Miller are not the only members of the franchise who will be candidates for major awards after this special season.

Add football leader John Elway to the mix. ( you can click on the following to see pole )AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky polled an ESPN panel for the their choice for executive of the year. In it, Elway was edged by Seattle’s John Schneider.

I voted for Elway because few moves he has made have been wrong. Of course, it starts with the signing of Manning. I know the argument is anyone can try to sign Manning, and recognizing Manning’s importance isn’t all that’s special. True.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/53114/is-john-elway-executive-of-the-year

tomjonesrocks
12-28-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't believe anyone else would deserve it more.

Dzone
12-28-2012, 10:00 PM
He looks best dressed on the sidelines.He wears cool sunglasses and his suits seem to by superbly tailored. Yes, compared to every other NFL exec that gets shown a lot on TV. He looks the most executive, and since projection is reality, Elway should get the award on image alone. Besides that, he has everyone saying what a genius he is getting us to #1. He has made some brilliant moves to make this team a winner For sure. Plus, he is honoring his dad, which makes it extra awesome for Elway.

Canmore
12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I don't believe anyone else would deserve it more.

This is what I think. Congratulations you landed Peyton Manning. How did you do that? Broncos go from 8-8 to 12-3 and probably 13-3. Super Bowl contenders and quite possibly the favorite going into the playoffs. He has got my vote.

LawDog
12-28-2012, 11:17 PM
I am kind of annoyed with all the "anyone can go after a Peyton Manning" argument against Elway. And, those who defend Elway by saying he is the reason that Peyton chose Denver never complete the circle of the argument (case in point the article linked above). Sure, Elway was in the top 2 or maybe 3 for GOAT at the position, but that is not why Peyton chose to sign with Denver. Manning picked Denver because Elway can relate to where Manning is in his career having played at a very high level at Manning's age. But more so than that, Peyton needed to have confidence that he would have the tools necessary to succeed and the ability to apply (and demand of the players around him) his work ethic and method of preparation. That requires a certain relinquishing of control by the coaching staff. I just don't see Harbaugh in SF being able to do that to the extent that Fox has - Harbaugh's style wouldn't permit it. Elway was the exec that brought in Fox, Elway was the one who was able to communicate a vision of success and then actually put it into practice, Elway was the one who put his reputation on the line and is pulling it off. To say that Elway gets dinged because he is, in effect, riding Manning's coattails is offensive and a ridiculous argument.

Elway absolutely deserves to be named EOTY.

Dapper Dan
12-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Is this an actual award?

Chef Zambini
12-29-2012, 02:07 AM
yes a real award but the question is rhetorical, of course its ELWAY!
the article says he might lose the title to the dude in seatle?
isnt thisa the same guy who paid $ 9 mill. a year to flynn?
please!
Elway took this team from the depthgs of a shithole that JMCD put it in, and in 2 remarkable years his efforts and vision has made us contenders for the lombardi !
ask PFM who the exec of the year is !
hell JFE earned the award from me just for taking out the TRASH !
tebow, tuten, goodman.
of all the post season awards, this one is the most obvious !

Dapper Dan
12-29-2012, 02:12 AM
I think the uniform change of the year award will be close between Denver and Seattle. I still pick Denver.

Chef Zambini
12-29-2012, 02:27 AM
dont make light of the award, it is highly coveted and respected !

Dzone
12-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Oh Ya, I dig the new Orange. The old orange is history. This is the orange of the Manning era.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-29-2012, 08:17 AM
I am kind of annoyed with all the "anyone can go after a Peyton Manning" argument against Elway. And, those who defend Elway by saying he is the reason that Peyton chose Denver never complete the circle of the argument (case in point the article linked above). Sure, Elway was in the top 2 or maybe 3 for GOAT at the position, but that is not why Peyton chose to sign with Denver. Manning picked Denver because Elway can relate to where Manning is in his career having played at a very high level at Manning's age. But more so than that, Peyton needed to have confidence that he would have the tools necessary to succeed and the ability to apply (and demand of the players around him) his work ethic and method of preparation. That requires a certain relinquishing of control by the coaching staff. I just don't see Harbaugh in SF being able to do that to the extent that Fox has - Harbaugh's style wouldn't permit it. Elway was the exec that brought in Fox, Elway was the one who was able to communicate a vision of success and then actually put it into practice, Elway was the one who put his reputation on the line and is pulling it off. To say that Elway gets dinged because he is, in effect, riding Manning's coattails is offensive and a ridiculous argument.

Elway absolutely deserves to be named EOTY.

...And Elway hit a grand slam with his first draft pick (Miller - how big was that pick?) and has made excellent player moves since he's been here. Resigning Champ as a top priority, bringing in guys like Harris, Brooking, Leonhard, Holliday, and bringing back Wesley Woodyard (who was going to be a FA IIRC) and Tony Carter - all have made significant contributions this season. Also, being smart enough get the most value for a dollar. Not bringing in high priced FAs that didn't pan out, not giving McGahee a big contract that he wanted after his first year, renegotiating Warren's contract, trading back in the draft to get Wolfe who has been a solid starter for us instead of spending a 1st rounder on him, etc. Allowing Fox to pick his coaching staff and getting JDR in here at DC has been HUGE.

All the things you listed Lawdog, plus all the other stuff he's done has made this the best run Broncos organization I can remember. Shanny built a "win now" team and paid through the nose for it. We won 2 Championships but didn't have a lot for the future and when Elway retired, we struggled every year to find our identity and got stuck in cap hell with a lot of high-priced FAs that either didn't pan out or were douchebags (Daryl Gardener, Dale Carter, Travis Henry, etc). Now, we have a class organization from the top down. Elway really isn't just the exec of the year, he's the team MVP - again!

Dapper Dan
12-29-2012, 12:37 PM
dont make light of the award, it is highly coveted and respected !

Which award?

Chef Zambini
12-29-2012, 12:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seattle-john-schneider-edge-impressive-field-nfl-executive-162647729--nfl.html
an article about JFEs sole competitor for the award. I warn you in advance it is a lengthy undertaking...
from the book of JOEL, kind of long.

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 06:48 PM
If Elway doesnt get it then the award is a total sham.

Dapper Dan
12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
If Elway doesnt get it then the award is a total sham.

He should get it. Doesn't it always go to a quarterback?

HORSEPOWER 56
12-29-2012, 09:01 PM
It appears Elway's real competition is Schneider from Seattle. The real question I have is, is Schneider even in charge or is he another Xanders? I thought Carroll pretty much had the power over personnel in Seattle...

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 10:25 PM
It appears Elway's real competition is Schneider from Seattle. The real question I have is, is Schneider even in charge or is he another Xanders? I thought Carroll pretty much had the power over personnel in Seattle...

I would say yes and if that is true then Carroll should be in line for coach of the year award.

The Broncos went from picking #2 in the draft to 12-3 with back to back division wins since Elway came here. His moves have been precision perfect. Denver now looks to be the hotspot for anyone free agent wanting to win a ring and I credit Elway for the success we are having. Denver is back!!!

zbeg
12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
I would say yes and if that is true then Carroll should be in line for coach of the year award.

The Broncos went from picking #2 in the draft to 12-3 with back to back division wins since Elway came here. His moves have been precision perfect. Denver now looks to be the hotspot for anyone free agent wanting to win a ring and I credit Elway for the success we are having. Denver is back!!!

And here we all thought Elway was done leading the Broncos to championship contention after he retired...

DenBronx
12-30-2012, 12:04 AM
And here we all thought Elway was done leading the Broncos to championship contention after he retired...

The guy will die one day, be burried and his ghost will still be lingering in the locker room helping us win games.

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 02:11 AM
He should get it. Doesn't it always go to a quarterback?very clever !
I guess ozzie newsome is the rare exception.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2012, 02:21 AM
If Denver wins and goes to the White House, someone will tell John, "You think you built that team? Someone else made that happen."

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 03:30 AM
If Denver wins and goes to the White House, someone will tell John, "You think you built that team? Someone else made that happen."I dont understand this at all.
obviously a political commentary, but it makes no sense to me.
who would say that, what would be their motivation, and who would be that 'someone"
sorry, this makes no sense to me at all.
WHEN the broncos go to the whitehouse, the prez will highlight at least ahalf dozen players, probably referance CHAP as a former DC guy, catch a pass from both JFE and PFM, and say something about his beloved BEARS.
he might even do some joke about the slow white bronco being a masseratti when it comes to running down talent !

Nobody at the whitehouse is going to say anything snide to JFE unless JMCD gets a job there as a busboy.

zbeg
12-30-2012, 03:33 AM
If Denver wins and goes to the White House, someone will tell John, "You think you built that team? Someone else made that happen."

Given how Elway skipped both WH visits after the SB wins, I'm assuming party affiliation will continue to dictate whether or not he accepts the invitation. And I think that's all I'm going to say - find me in the politics subforum for further discussion on this point.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Given how Elway skipped both WH visits after the SB wins, I'm assuming party affiliation will continue to dictate whether or not he accepts the invitation. And I think that's all I'm going to say - find me in the politics subforum for further discussion on this point.
That's pretty cool. I had no idea he did that. We can learn things on this site, sometimes.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2012, 03:45 AM
I dont understand this at all.
obviously a political commentary, but it makes no sense to me.
who would say that, what would be their motivation, and who would be that 'someone"
sorry, this makes no sense to me at all.
WHEN the broncos go to the whitehouse, the prez will highlight at least ahalf dozen players, probably referance CHAP as a former DC guy, catch a pass from both JFE and PFM, and say something about his beloved BEARS.
he might even do some joke about the slow white bronco being a masseratti when it comes to running down talent !

Nobody at the whitehouse is going to say anything snide to JFE unless JMCD gets a job there as a busboy.

What kind of music do you like?

Poet
12-30-2012, 04:04 AM
He was pivotal to winning the Manning sweepstakes. His drafting prowess has been fantastic so far. He came in and it looks like he performed a sweeping movement of past front office blunderers.

He brought in a head coach that fit the bill for success. A lot of people were skeptical of Fox, including myself. While he's definitely not Walsh or Parcells, he provided what Denver needs.

Elway is the proper choice.

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 04:05 AM
jazz, mostly, but almost all forms excluding (c)rap the "c' is silent,
and country western.
Having said that, I love bonnie raitt and the marshall tucker band.
and love M&M.
I try to be open minded about all music, why do you ask?

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 04:13 AM
He was pivotal to winning the Manning sweepstakes. His drafting prowess has been fantastic so far. He came in and it looks like he performed a sweeping movement of past front office blunderers.

He brought in a head coach that fit the bill for success. A lot of people were skeptical of Fox, including myself. While he's definitely not Walsh or Parcells, he provided what Denver needs.

Elway is the proper choice.well said, excellent points, I think you are the FIRST to mention the FOX selection, most folks, myself included, characterized that as a money saving move, a band-aid for the short term.
JFE is alot smarter than he looks!

Dapper Dan
12-30-2012, 04:13 AM
jazz, mostly, but almost all forms excluding (c)rap the "c' is silent,
and country western.
Having said that, I love bonnie raitt and the marshall tucker band.
and love M&M.
I try to be open minded about all music, why do you ask?

I was just curious.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2012, 04:16 AM
As a kid, I used to cry because Elway was retired. Brian Griese didn't help any. You old people are lucky you got to watch him play. I've looked up to Elway ever since I can remember.

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 04:19 AM
in fact, given JFE's incredible success rate, I should be kicking myself for questioning his maneuvering to draft brock osweiler.
but at present there is no room for my shoe, given the footprints of others.
I guess I will just shut up about it and expect the best based on the one who made the decision.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2012, 04:23 AM
in fact, given JFE's incredible success rate, I should be kicking myself for questioning his maneuvering to draft brock osweiler.
but at present there is no room for my shoe, given the footprints of others.
I guess I will just shut up about it and expect the best based on the one who made the decision.

I've been waiting on you to day this! Hallelujah, Brother Zambini! Welcome to the light.

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 04:28 AM
its late, I am going to eat some pie and go to bed,go broncos, finish the season strong!11 wins in a row strong! Play-offs, here we come !

Poet
12-30-2012, 04:36 AM
I never thought Fox was a cheap money move. He had credentials but he comes with a lot of flaws. He's a solid coach who often doesn't the balls to do something cunning. He always ended up with vanilla offenses that supported the defense. He never really sustained true success.

Elway ended up getting Fox and stripping him of his flaws. Fox doesn't touch the offense, that's Manning's child. Manning is the real shot caller on the offense and now the defense and offense work as powerhouses that function symbiotically.

The knock on the move would be that Elway could not have foreseen the Manning situation. That is true, however Elway is a very opportunity based man who has the ability to close the deal. He uses resources allocated to him in ways that help the entire team. We don't know what he would have done with those resources. You can only judge someone on what happens when they act, their successes with said actions, and methodology.

So far, when Elway acts, you get success. Those successes cannot be judged to be flukes and the methodology behind them was sound. Some of his actions were flashy, others were grounded and plain. I view the hiring of Fox as a grounded and plain action. Manning and drafting Miller were flashy.

A good mix is healthy.

The gentleman in Seattle deserves praise and looks like a genius right now. Elway's success doesn't diminish what he's done and Seattle should be grateful for him. However, I conclude that so far Elway has been superior and think he is the right choice.

zbeg
12-30-2012, 05:06 AM
As a kid, I used to cry because Elway was retired. Brian Griese didn't help any. You old people are lucky you got to watch him play. I've looked up to Elway ever since I can remember.

I was 20 when Elway announced his retirement, and I cried. :-(

It was intensely personal with me. Things weren't great with me in Colorado. I needed to start over somewhere else, but I wasn't going to do so until Elway retired. There was no way I was missing any part of that. He was the only Broncos QB I had ever known.

He announced his retirement in April of 1999, and I had everything packed in a box and I booked myself a one-way ticket out of town in June.

zbeg
12-30-2012, 05:11 AM
I never thought Fox was a cheap money move. He had credentials but he comes with a lot of flaws. He's a solid coach who often doesn't the balls to do something cunning. He always ended up with vanilla offenses that supported the defense. He never really sustained true success.

Elway ended up getting Fox and stripping him of his flaws. Fox doesn't touch the offense, that's Manning's child. Manning is the real shot caller on the offense and now the defense and offense work as powerhouses that function symbiotically.

The knock on the move would be that Elway could not have foreseen the Manning situation. That is true, however Elway is a very opportunity based man who has the ability to close the deal. He uses resources allocated to him in ways that help the entire team. We don't know what he would have done with those resources. You can only judge someone on what happens when they act, their successes with said actions, and methodology.

So far, when Elway acts, you get success. Those successes cannot be judged to be flukes and the methodology behind them was sound. Some of his actions were flashy, others were grounded and plain. I view the hiring of Fox as a grounded and plain action. Manning and drafting Miller were flashy.

A good mix is healthy.

The gentleman in Seattle deserves praise and looks like a genius right now. Elway's success doesn't diminish what he's done and Seattle should be grateful for him. However, I conclude that so far Elway has been superior and think he is the right choice.

Both have taken bad teams and turned them into Super Bowl contenders. Look at the rosters when Elway and Schneider/Carroll took over and you won't see a lot of talent anywhere.

I always thought Fox was an underrated coach. He didn't do anything with personnel and the Panthers front office is Raider-esque in their ability to misevaluate talent. Fox never had much to work with. The best QB the front office ever gave him was Jake freaking Delhomme, and he somehow took that team to losing the Super Bowl by only 3 points.

I was excited when the Broncos hired him - I thought he was a good tactical guy and my Panther fan friends agreed with me.

The thing that really sold me on Fox was the game in Kansas City last year. He knew he didn't have a passing attack, so they ran the ball what, 30 straight times? Very few coaches are willing to move all-in when it's appropriate to move all-in. They try to balance because "that's just not what you do." Good coaches understand when it's right to do the thing that you just don't do, and Fox has always struck me as that guy.

Elway's in charge of talent, Fox is in charge of the guys on the field. It's a great balance and everyone's happy. Fox is probably just happy to have a front office that seems to have a clue as to what they're doing.

Nomad
12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Colts exec looks pretty good too with the choices he has made.

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 03:20 PM
colts GM
seahawks GM
both deserve recognition and consideration, but..
elway has made all the right moves isnce day one ! coach selection, drafting, free agent aquisitions, and..
as i always like to poit out he does a nice job when it comes to taking out the trash!
he kept moreno and let eddie royal walk, who would have played that hand of cards in vegas?
he turned in his wild joker for an ACE!
dumping TUTEN improved the health and conditioning of every memeber of the team!
its gotta be elway !

DenBronx
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Never question the ELway...never do it. He will beat you like a drum if you do.