PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler says Denver Broncos are in panic mode

Skinny
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
November 7, 2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Jay Cutler seems less worried about his badly bruised left leg than he does the state of the Denver Broncos.

The second-year quarterback who practiced through the pain Wednesday suggested the Broncos, losers of five of six, are in panic mode.

Coming off a 44-7 blasting by the Detroit Lions, the Broncos are facing just their second losing season in coach Mike Shanahan's 13-year tenure. They went 6-10 in 1999 when Terrell Davis blew out a knee and John Elway retired after leading Denver to back-to-back Super Bowl wins.

"The Broncos aren't used to this. We're not used to going 3-5. We're not used to giving up 40 points in two games so far and getting blown out. It's just not something that's accustomed to this organization," Cutler said. "And it starts at the top; (owner Pat) Bowlen's not used to it. Coach Shanahan, I mean it's never happened to him before in his career.

"So, everyone's a little embarrassed, everyone's a little bit in a state of panic. But we've got a lot of football left. If we keep playing the way we are, we're going to keep just going downhill. So, some things have to change. Players have got to start playing better, myself included."

The Broncos have been dismal on offense, defense and special teams. Were it not for three game-winners by kicker Jason Elam, they could be facing an 0-8 record.

They have eight players on injured reserve, including top draft pick Jarvis Moss, who broke an ankle last week. No. 1 receiver Javon Walker is recovering from a knee operation and top tailback Travis Henry is fighting the NFL over a failed drug test, trying to keep the league from suspending him for a year.

The defense hasn't been able to adjust to Jim Bates' scheme and even has trouble getting the proper personnel groups on the field. The Broncos signed three defensive ends Tuesday in a rare midseason shake-up.

Informed of Cutler's comments, Shanahan said he wouldn't necessarily use the word "panic."

"There's a difference between panicked and a sense of urgency," he said. "Any time you play like that and give up 17 points on offense, get 12 penalties, you have four turnovers, six or seven dropped balls, there had better be a sense of urgency."

That's how cornerback Dre' Bly characterized the state of the team: "It's more of a sense of urgency. I'm not going to say guys are panicking. We need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we are giving it our all."

"The crazy thing about it, we're still just one game behind in our division," Bly added.

Kansas City and San Diego lead the middling AFC West at just 4-4 and a Denver win on Sunday at the Chiefs, combined with a win by Indianapolis over the Chargers could put the Broncos in a tie for the division lead at 4-5.

Regardless, safety Nick Ferguson agreed Broncos headquarters was a stressed-out place these days.

"It's just kind of chaotic and dismal right now because we're losing and no one in this locker room ... I've been here five years, I'm not used to this," Ferguson said.

Ferguson recalled how the Broncos dedicated their season to Darrent Williams and Damien Nash, who died in the offseason.

"So, is this how we want to have our season be remembered? No. And this is a season that we dedicated to two of our fallen comrades. And to me, I don't think this is how they would want us to remember them. So whatever it is, we have to try to fix it and get it fixed right now," Ferguson said.

Cutler feared his season was over and his leg broken Sunday when Lions defensive end Cory Redding speared him with his helmet.

"To get the MRI back and to see that it was just a deep bruise and nothing was cracked or anything, it was a relief," Cutler said. "I mean, it's a bruise. I can go ahead and push it and if it hurts, it hurts, but it's not going to get any worse."

Cutler took most of the snaps at practice and moved around well, Shanahan said.

"He looked good," Shanahan said. "Unless there's a setback, he should be ready to go."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=301566

TXBRONC
11-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Panicking wont do any good, but there should be a healthy sense of urgency.

Lonestar
11-07-2007, 10:47 PM
November 7, 2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Jay Cutler seems less worried about his badly bruised left leg than he does the state of the Denver Broncos.

The second-year quarterback who practiced through the pain Wednesday suggested the Broncos, losers of five of six, are in panic mode.

Coming off a 44-7 blasting by the Detroit Lions, the Broncos are facing just their second losing season in coach Mike Shanahan's 13-year tenure. They went 6-10 in 1999 when Terrell Davis blew out a knee and John Elway retired after leading Denver to back-to-back Super Bowl wins.

"The Broncos aren't used to this. We're not used to going 3-5. We're not used to giving up 40 points in two games so far and getting blown out. It's just not something that's accustomed to this organization," Cutler said. "And it starts at the top; (owner Pat) Bowlen's not used to it. Coach Shanahan, I mean it's never happened to him before in his career.

"So, everyone's a little embarrassed, everyone's a little bit in a state of panic. But we've got a lot of football left. If we keep playing the way we are, we're going to keep just going downhill. So, some things have to change. Players have got to start playing better, myself included."

The Broncos have been dismal on offense, defense and special teams. Were it not for three game-winners by kicker Jason Elam, they could be facing an 0-8 record.
They have eight players on injured reserve, including top draft pick Jarvis Moss, who broke an ankle last week. No. 1 receiver Javon Walker is recovering from a knee operation and top tailback Travis Henry is fighting the NFL over a failed drug test, trying to keep the league from suspending him for a year.

The defense hasn't been able to adjust to Jim Bates' scheme and even has trouble getting the proper personnel groups on the field. The Broncos signed three defensive ends Tuesday in a rare midseason shake-up.

Informed of Cutler's comments, Shanahan said he wouldn't necessarily use the word "panic."

"There's a difference between panicked and a sense of urgency," he said. "Any time you play like that and give up 17 points on offense, get 12 penalties, you have four turnovers, six or seven dropped balls, there had better be a sense of urgency."

That's how cornerback Dre' Bly characterized the state of the team: "It's more of a sense of urgency. I'm not going to say guys are panicking. We need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we are giving it our all."

"The crazy thing about it, we're still just one game behind in our division," Bly added.

Kansas City and San Diego lead the middling AFC West at just 4-4 and a Denver win on Sunday at the Chiefs, combined with a win by Indianapolis over the Chargers could put the Broncos in a tie for the division lead at 4-5.

Regardless, safety Nick Ferguson agreed Broncos headquarters was a stressed-out place these days.

"It's just kind of chaotic and dismal right now because we're losing and no one in this locker room ... I've been here five years, I'm not used to this," Ferguson said.

Ferguson recalled how the Broncos dedicated their season to Darrent Williams and Damien Nash, who died in the offseason.

"So, is this how we want to have our season be remembered? No. And this is a season that we dedicated to two of our fallen comrades. And to me, I don't think this is how they would want us to remember them. So whatever it is, we have to try to fix it and get it fixed right now," Ferguson said.

Cutler feared his season was over and his leg broken Sunday when Lions defensive end Cory Redding speared him with his helmet.

"To get the MRI back and to see that it was just a deep bruise and nothing was cracked or anything, it was a relief," Cutler said. "I mean, it's a bruise. I can go ahead and push it and if it hurts, it hurts, but it's not going to get any worse."

Cutler took most of the snaps at practice and moved around well, Shanahan said.

"He looked good," Shanahan said. "Unless there's a setback, he should be ready to go."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=301566

Hmmmm I wonder where I've heard that before..

UnderArmour
11-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh snap! Cutler just hit the panic button! No turning back now...

Krugan
11-07-2007, 11:18 PM

dont dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back. The IF word is still IF.

broncos9697
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
dont dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back. The IF word is still IF.

thats good news that cutler is going to play...
thats the way way we will win this game against the chiefs..and I really think we will win LJ has killed us in the years and he is out,holmes will play but he will only get he ball 15 times a game his prime is over and he's 33 years old...
there other RB never heard of him..
there WR need help..
I think we will win this game 35-21

frenchfan
11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
thats good news that cutler is going to play...
thats the way way we will win this game against the chiefs..and I really think we will win LJ has killed us in the years and he is out,holmes will play but he will only get he ball 15 times a game his prime is over and he's 33 years old...
there other RB never heard of him..
there WR need help..
I think we will win this game 35-21Anyway, anyone can run on our D... No need to be named LJ or Holmes... ;) :D

Sense of urgency of what?
We are so far away from teams like NE or IND...
It is urgent to build a team with the ability to play at this level for the next years ! We have some talent, but also many holes to fill.

Nomad
11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
This is a make or break game with KC. Whether Priest can run on the defense we'll find out and Bowe isn't a bad WR. The one person on KC that concerns me is Jared Allen on defense. If the o-line can't contain him it'll be a rough day for Ramsey or a wounded Cutler.

But according to the Sports Guys, Shanny sat the team down and called out every player and the lousy play and last week I did not see one BRONCOS player that played with heart. From the veterans down to the rookies and the o-line especially Lepsis was one that was called out. Hopefully this is what lights the fire under their rears, if not watch the games through your fingers because the rest of the season may be rough to watch.

Tned
11-08-2007, 11:37 AM

This paints a pretty clear picture of how bad things were on the offensive side of the ball.

Lonestar
11-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Anyway, anyone can run on our D... No need to be named LJ or Holmes... ;) :D

Sense of urgency of what?
We are so far away from teams like NE or IND...
It is urgent to build a team with the ability to play at this level for the next years ! We have some talent, but also many holes to fill.

Glad you said it as I was about to.

Let me add that even though he is 33 he has not played much or at all for the past three years and early in his career he played very little also.

He is a premier RB that if he has any skills left speed and durability (if he did not he would not be on a good team) he will be voted all pro after this weeks performance against our D.

The only game this year we have had some semblance of run d was after TWO weeks off to prepare for the other team. And then only did decent because the other team panicked and did not run like they could have because they found themselves down a couple of TD's early in the game..

Do not believe the hype from dove valley cause they are indeed in panic mode. The firing f their beginning of the year starting TD and back up Safety to bring in practice squad players speaks volumes.

Lonestar
11-08-2007, 12:19 PM

This paints a pretty clear picture of how bad things were on the offensive side of the ball.

Hmmmmm is that not mikeys strong point, offense?

Instead of going to the bargain basement area that had DE's in it, he should have been looking at WR, OLINE and DT's seeing if any scrubs off these teams can help us.

atleast that would have seemed logical to those that actually saw the game..

TXBRONC
11-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Hmmm ARE the Broncos 0-8 or 3-5?

PatricktheDookie
11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
To be honest, it isn't all that surprising that it took until now for the team to really start to feel the pressure. The Broncos have been a very consistant organization with strong leadership, so I imagine that everyone just presumed that if they stayed the course, things would turn out well.

Injuries, coupled with other problems, have shown that is not the case. This team can not afford the luxury of standing pat and expecting things to turn around. We can only hope that they rally with their backs to the wall and somehow find their place as a team.

I think improvement against the Chiefs is a given. Heck, I even expect to win. The real question is how long can the Broncos sustain their improvement and build momentum?

TXBRONC
11-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Hmmmmm is that not mikeys strong point, offense?

Instead of going to the bargain basement area that had DE's in it, he should have been looking at WR, OLINE and DT's seeing if any scrubs off these teams can help us.

atleast that would have seemed logical to those that actually saw the game..

You're not thinking clearly Jr. Offensive linemen and wide receivers would have a difficult time learning enough of the offensive to be effective. Defensive tackle that's a different story.