PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning on Pro Bowl team

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning and cornerback Champ Bailey each have been selected to the AFC Pro Bowl team, according to league sources.

It is the 12th selection each for Manning and Bailey.

In his first season with the Broncos, Manning has completed 377-of-554 passes for 4,355 yards and 34 touchdowns, leading Denver to a 12-3 record and the AFC West title.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8781858/peyton-manning-champ-bailey-denver-broncos-make-pro-bowl-team-sources-say

The pro bowl announcement will be live at 5:00 MST tonight. I am hoping these are only two Broncos Williamson was told about, as it would make absolutely no sense if Von did not make it.

MOtorboat
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8781858/peyton-manning-champ-bailey-denver-broncos-make-pro-bowl-team-sources-say

The pro bowl announcement will be live at 5:00 MST tonight. I am hoping these are only two Broncos Williamson was told about, as it would make absolutely no sense if Von did not make it.

Or Demaryius Thomas...

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Or Demaryius Thomas...

Totally agree

MOtorboat
12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Thomas got snubbed.

MOtorboat
12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Manning, Clady, Miller, Dumervil and Bailey.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Thomas got snubbed.

Is this just the fan vote, and then the coaches add players?

MOtorboat
12-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Is this just the fan vote, and then the coaches add players?

I don't think so. Not like baseball.

Nomad
12-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Just me.....but I hope they miss it;)

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
from article:

The biggest surprise was that Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas was omitted even though he has 87 catches for 1,312 yards and nine touchdowns.

The problem for Thomas wasn't that the four AFC receivers picked ahead of him — Wes Welker, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne — didn't deserve their selections. Those four are having big years.

The Broncos hope to skip the Pro Bowl, anyway, as they may have a team worthy of playing instead the following week in the Super Bowl. The Pro Bowl will be played Jan. 27 in Hawaii. Super Bowl XLVII will be played the following Sunday, Feb. 3, in New Orleans.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22264004/peyton-manning-champ-bailey-lead-five-broncos-nfl-pro-bowl

cmc0605
12-26-2012, 07:36 PM
I do agree Thomas should have made it, though the current selections at WR are having great years as well. It's hard to accommodate everyone. The rest of the Denver selections are deserving.

In any case, I don't hope to see any of our players in the pro bowl this year.

DenBronx
12-26-2012, 10:10 PM
All Broncos going deserve it. But did Bailey out perform Chris Harris this year? I'm not so sure about that and I'm a huge Bailey fan! I think Harris and Thomas should have got the nod as well.

Jeff Freakin Saturday though??? He is over the hill, goes to a new team and benched!! Yet somehow he still made the pro bowl. Yeah it's really a joke how the voting system is...

cmc0605
12-26-2012, 10:30 PM
All Broncos going deserve it. But did Bailey out perform Chris Harris this year? I'm not so sure about that and I'm a huge Bailey fan! I think Harris and Thomas should have got the nod as well.

Jeff Freakin Saturday though??? He is over the hill, goes to a new team and benched!! Yet somehow he still made the pro bowl. Yeah it's really a joke how the voting system is...

Cornerback and offensive line are probably the two positions where you can't evaluate quality based on stats. Good corners often don't have big numbers because no one wants to look in that direction (and sometimes guys with 10 picks are also giving up a lot of balls too). With offensive line you can maybe judge naively by sacks allowed, but that has no information concerning how good you are in the run game, or how often you let your guy put pressure on the QB. When it comes to fan voting, all this usually means players are picked by names rather than any solid criteria.

I agree with Chris Harris though. He's been a bright spot this year, and I think is on the doorstep of a pro bowl if he continues to evolve. He's also been a very good tackler.

DenBronx
12-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Harris is a monster! The NFL still doesnt know who this kid is. It will take some huge plays by him in the playoffs for him to finally get his respect.

Contracts coming up are going to be big. If we win a SB, then some of these guys are going to want to get paid. I guess that's a good problem to have though...

DenBronx
12-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Chris Harris (via facebook)

Not making the pro bowl just added more motivation

DenBronx
12-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Harris actually personally posted this on facebook as well. I think this kid is heading into the playoffs with a huge chip on his shoulder now....I think he's a little heated. His wife and family has even been commenting on these post....so I know his family knows he's a little upset by being passed over. All I can say is look for Harris to make some very big plays in the playoffs....these QBs better watch out!!!!

Denver Broncos’ Chris Harris, Demaryius Thomas Snubbed for Pro Bowl

Whenever a Pro Bowl roster is chosen, not every player will get the recognition he deserves. For the Denver Broncos, it is evident that when you are the only team in the
NFL ranked in the top five in both offense and defense, you will have your share of starters, reserves, alternates and outright snubs. For the 2012 Broncos, they have an outright snub, and an alternate who would make a great case for being a starter.

For CB Chris Harris, who plays opposite Pro Bowl starter Champ Bailey, the ball seems to always find its way to his side of the field. And when it does, it usually does not end up well for opposing QBs or WRs. Harris has played out of his mind this year, and when he was given the starters role after Tracy Porter left with seizure symptoms early in the season, he has clearly shown he belongs.

On the season, Harris has 3INTs, 2.5 sacks, 59 tackles and one of his interception returns went 98 yards against the Baltimore Ravens, which completely turned the game in the Broncos favor. As Denver plays with a complete team effort, it might be an understatement just how much Harris’ play has meant to this team and their current 10 game win streak.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/12/26/denver-broncos-chris-harris-demaryius-thomas-snubbed-for-pro-bowl/?3XlxPJoZfqtrdzMl.99

Simple Jaded
12-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Maybe the voters caught the replay of Harris getting run down by a slow-ass whitebread QB. :D.......

DenBronx
12-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Maybe the voters caught the replay of Harris getting run down by a slow-ass whitebread QB. :D.......

He actually scored so he didnt get ran down or tackled. Flacco wasnt credited with a tackle in the stats and the Broncos earned 6 points on the play.

Annnnnnd it was still a 90+ yard return with 11 other Ravens on the field chasing him. :) Also known as the longest pick 6 in Broncos history for all of you history nuts out there.

zbeg
12-27-2012, 01:42 AM
If "avoidance out of fear" was a stat, Champ's pro-bowl inclusion would be obvious.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-27-2012, 08:49 AM

I completely agree about Saturday. Isn't Rodgers one of the most sacked QBs in the league? Isn't it the Center's job to assist in protection calls? I don't get it. Oh well, if these guys do play in the probowl (which I'm hoping they miss due to other, more pressing engagements), at least Peyton will be taking snaps from under a familiar butt... Everyone knows it's a popularity contest for the most part. Clady isn't a starter. He's the backup to Joe Thomas and Duane Brown (even though he's only allowed one sack all season and Thomas was handed his butt by Doom last week). It's all mostly ceremonial anyway. Heck, Heath Miller was voted in for the AFC squad and is on IR so an alternate will get the nod there.

As for Champ, he totally deserves it, IMO. From the article on the Broncos' home site:

Bailey becomes the third player in team history with at least eight Pro Bowl selections, as quarterbacks are completing just 48.7 percent off passes thrown toward him this season. That ranks sixth among NFL players targeted 75 or more times. Bailey has allowed just 37 receptions on 76 passes thrown his way.

The reason you rarely see Champ making these "spectacular" plays is because he just isn't challenged very often because his receiver is typically blanketed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Harris doesn't deserve to be there too, but Champ deserves it just as much.

After looking at the roster, it's kind of a shame that it's not played like a real game... I'd feel sorry for the NFC QBs. The AFC team would have Watt, Doom, Atkins, and Wilfork on the D-line and Miller and Hali at OLB - that's a scary mf'n pass rush!

slim
12-27-2012, 09:46 AM
How did the dog-butt chiefs get 5 players on the team?

What a joke.

zbeg
12-27-2012, 10:26 AM
How did the dog-butt chiefs get 5 players on the team?

What a joke.

Having a handful of talented players doesn't automatically translate to wins. If the Patriots can overachieve by getting the most out of guys who aren't spectacular, doesn't it follow that teams with talent will underachieve because their coach is bad (and the rest of the team is garbage)?

I mean, Romeo Crennel is really bad. A few weeks ago Jamaal Charles got only five carries. They asked Romeo why, and he said (paraphrased), "I would like to know the answer to that as well."

WTF. Maybe you should check with the head coach or something, eh?

slim
12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Having a handful of talented players doesn't automatically translate to wins. If the Patriots can overachieve by getting the most out of guys who aren't spectacular, doesn't it follow that teams with talent will underachieve because their coach is bad (and the rest of the team is garbage)?

I mean, Romeo Crennel is really bad. A few weeks ago Jamaal Charles got only five carries. They asked Romeo why, and he said (paraphrased), "I would like to know the answer to that as well."

WTF. Maybe you should check with the head coach or something, eh?

Neither Hali, Berry or Johnson have really played at a pro bowl level this year. Maybe you should check out their subpar performances, eh?

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Just me.....but I hope they miss it;)
the selection is great, the game ,itself, is lame.
the players love going to hawaii, thats why they moved it back, but the game should be replaced by skills challenges instead of that poor excuse for a flag football game without flags.