PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the year?

Chef Zambini
12-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I cant understand why anyone would not think its bruce arians, hope i spelled his name right.
bruce who?
(some of you may ask)
the dude that was handed the worst team in football the year before, because the boss called in sick.
He was given the job by default and he lead that team to the play-offs !
who esle ya got?

Poet
12-25-2012, 02:41 PM
If the Skins make the playoffs, it's probably Shanahan. I'd probably give it to Shanahan or Pete Carrol.

CrazyHorse
12-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah I'd go with the Colts coach tandem of Arians/Pagano. I think they're the most deserving.

Jsteve01
12-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Agree with zam

SoCalImport
12-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I can see how Fox's name would be mentioned in the discussion but yeah...Arians or maybe Shanny should win it for sure

MOtorboat
12-25-2012, 03:26 PM
No one else even remotely deserves it but Arians.

Poet
12-25-2012, 03:41 PM
My issue with the award is that it's not about the best coach, it's about the coach with the feel-good story. At least, that's typically how it seems to go. Marvin Lewis got it because of Chris Henry and the passing of Mike Zimmer's wife.

Northman
12-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Colts guy by far.

Pudge
12-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I think Pete carol, he stuck with Wilson over Flynn and everyone thought it was a horrible call, now he has 10 wins, maybe 11.

Northman
12-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Dont know about that, i know for myself i thought Wilson outplayed Flynn from the getgo. To me that could of gone either way.

Poet
12-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Dont know about that, i know for myself i thought Wilson outplayed Flynn from the getgo. To me that could of gone either way.

It started at camp. Carrol is infamous for embracing competitions in training camp. People thought Wilson played better and he got the job. Next year if Wilson has a sophomore slump it may be troublesome. Then again, if Wilson gets hurt, if Flynn's legit they're fine.

Seattle really does have an interesting situation and team.

Pudge
12-25-2012, 04:24 PM
I heard a lot of talking heads say that they brought in Flynn for a fairly high price and it would be stupid not to see what they had in him, and most thought they wouldn't be anywhere near a playoff caliber team

Simple Jaded
12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
I heard a lot of talking heads say that they brought in Flynn for a fairly high price and it would be stupid not to see what they had in him, and most thought they wouldn't be anywhere near a playoff caliber team

"See what you have in him", what better reason to start a player?.......

Pudge
12-25-2012, 05:25 PM
I didn't say I agreed but you know some people use the money aspect to justify actions

Poet
12-25-2012, 05:26 PM
The Seattle situation was atypical.

MileHighCrew
12-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Shanny deserves to be in the conversation. 2 rookie QB's rookie RB best D player hurt. I'd go with Indy too but Shanny did a hell of a job

MasterShake
12-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Fox should have won LAST year. I'd go with Pete Carrol or the Indy coach.

Chef Zambini
12-26-2012, 02:44 AM
yes, there aRE OTHER NAMES TO CONSIDER, CARROL, SHANNY,EVEN KUBIAK DESERVES a mention along with our guy, fox.
but what tyhe colts accomplished this year is an amazing turnaround, and the circumstances under which arians was sideswiped with the responsability, it seems his performance makes the decision an easy one !
Sure there was a natural wave of inspiration and motivation to ride on, but bottom line some flat out coaching had to take place to turn a 2 win team into a 10 win team. and when you compare what happened to the saints when they lost tyheir HC, and what happened to the colts when they lost theirs , WITHOUT WARNING. by comparison, all the more remarkable !

DenBronx
12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
You have to consider Shanahan, Fox, Arians and Carrol. I think Carrol wins it though.

Chef Zambini
12-26-2012, 03:21 PM
carrol has been at it for 2+ years, he knew the job was his, he has been preparing for it for YEARS. arrens had the responsability thrust upon him !
he got blind-sided with the responsability.
carol hand picked his staff. arrens, he interviewd for a lesser role.

zbeg
12-27-2012, 03:12 AM
There's no way Arians doesn't win it. Nobody's voting against a cancer story, especially when the team went from having the #1 overall pick to going to the playoffs.

Carroll probably should get more consideration, but I'd bet my life on Arians winning it.

slim
12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Holy cow, Zam is right about something.

Good job, buddy.

Nomad
12-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Indy sucked for Luck on purpose last year and now back to form......kinda like a pool shark at a bar who let's you believe he sucks until he has you right where he wants you.:lol:

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
when it comes to 'awards' the only no-brainer of recipients is JFE as exec of the year.
one would think that arrens is a shoe-in, but itys hard to know how the voters think on that one/
does PAGANO split the vote, or are they a package deal?

Poet
12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
When I think coach of the year, I think who did the best job of coaching. That line of thinking usually ends up with belief that Bill Belidick deserves it.

In this case, as much as Shanahan is an assboy, I think he or Carrol deserves it.

hotcarl
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I would vote for jimmy ocusins

Hawgdriver
12-28-2012, 01:08 PM
If it's "Coaches of the Year" then Pagano/Arians. Or is is just Pagano, for leaving a solid hierarchy in place during his time away? Or is it Arians, for the surprising success? Awkward.

If it's "Coach of the Year" then Carroll. But maybe Shanahan.

Funny how this race is almost a mirror of the ROY race.

Chef Zambini
12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
shanahan and carrol have history by whick=h voters can judge. honestly, shanny has been a turd in DC until he got bobby turner to operate his run game and now RG3 to run his offense.
shanny has always looked smart with a superstar uinder center.
carrol, he has been building something from nothing in the northwest !
RG3 was a no-brainer, carrol went out on a limb with wilson.
if it was a contest between carrol and shanny, shanny does not deserve a single vote !

back to the colts...
the PAGANO/ arians thing does confuse the matter, and perhaps the voting, but there shouls be no confusion about where that trophy should reside... with the COLTS !

NightTerror218
12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Colts coach. Rookie QB and a weak roster and they are making playoffs after a 2 win season.

slim
12-28-2012, 02:29 PM
When I think coach of the year, I think who did the best job of coaching.

Yeah, no shit, Sherlock.

Poet
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Yeah, no shit, Sherlock.

Well, if that's the case, than the guy from the Colts definitely doesn't get it. He didn't do the best job of coaching, he did a good job of coaching against average teams and has a feel-good story.

Please refrain from posting.

Chef Zambini
12-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, no shit, Sherlock.try a laxitive, watson.

slim
12-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Well, if that's the case, than the guy from the Colts definitely doesn't get it. He didn't do the best job of coaching, he did a good job of coaching against average teams and has a feel-good story.

Please refrain from posting.

They were 2-14 last year and starting a rookie QB this year.

I rest my case.

Poet
12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
They were 2-14 last year and starting a rookie QB this year.

I rest my case.

Peter Carroll has a rookie QB as well and last year they were bad. Shanhan has a rookie QB in a tougher conference and division and lost his best defensive player.

The NFCE has four playoff contenders. The AFCS has two.

Good coaching job and insane feel good story.

slim
12-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Peter Carroll has a rookie QB as well and last year they were bad. Shanhan has a rookie QB in a tougher conference and division and lost his best defensive player.

The NFCE has four playoff contenders. The AFCS has two.

Good coaching job and insane feel good story.

None of those teams were as bad as the Colts last year.

The Colts were 25th in total defense last year (28th in points). They were 30th in total offense (28th in points).

Dzone
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
John Fox is coach of the year. If you think otherwise, you must not be a real Bronco fan. Youre a traitor and should be banned

slim
12-28-2012, 04:03 PM
2011 Total Offense (yards):
Was - 16th
Sea - 28th
Indy - 30th

2011 Total Points (offense):
Sea - 23rd
Was - 26th
Indy - 28th

2011 Total Defense (yards):
Sea - 9th
Was - 13th
Indy - 25th

2011 Total Points (defense):
Sea - 7th
Was - 21st
Indy - 28th

slim
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
2011 records:

Sea: 7-9
Was: 5-11
Indy: 2-14

Arians/Pagano - first year on job
Carroll - 3rd year on the job
Shanny - 3rd year on the job

Poet
12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
None of those teams were as bad as the Colts last year.

The Colts were 25th in total defense last year (28th in points). They were 30th in total offense (28th in points).

The Skins were awful and the Hawks were awful. They weren't as awful but Shanahan's had to overcome more. He did a better coaching job.

Just say it's the cancer that makes you feel the way you do.

slim
12-28-2012, 04:15 PM
The Skins were awful and the Hawks were awful. They weren't as awful but Shanahan's had to overcome more. He did a better coaching job.

Just say it's the cancer that makes you feel the way you do.

How did Shanny "overcome more"?

Arians wasn't even supposed to be the effing HC. I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Poet
12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
His schedule, division and conference are harder. The Cowboys and Giants are both heavily talented and good teams, albeit inconsistent. The Jags and Titans are both bad, like top ten draft pick bad. The Eagles are that bad, but the Colts have four gimme games in their division, the Skins have two.

He lost his best defensive player. His offense does not have a legitimate number one WR and his best receiving threat, Fred Davis, was lost relatively early in the season.

His line is not good and has to balance using RG3's physical abilities and durability. RG3 also was out for a game.

His QB is also playing better than Luck. Arians will win because of the feel good story.

In regards to Pete Carrol, his team is being viewed as a legitimate SB contender with a rookie QB and last year they were subpar.

So you have Shanahan who has overcome more as a coach and Carrol whose team is insane. I'm tired of feel-good stories winning coach of the year when there are clearly better candidates.

slim
12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
His schedule, division and conference are harder. The Cowboys and Giants are both heavily talented and good teams, albeit inconsistent. The Jags and Titans are both bad, like top ten draft pick bad. The Eagles are that bad, but the Colts have four gimme games in their division, the Skins have two.

He lost his best defensive player. His offense does not have a legitimate number one WR and his best receiving threat, Fred Davis, was lost relatively early in the season.

His line is not good and has to balance using RG3's physical abilities and durability. RG3 also was out for a game.

His QB is also playing better than Luck. Arians will win because of the feel good story.

In regards to Pete Carrol, his team is being viewed as a legitimate SB contender with a rookie QB and last year they were subpar.

So you have Shanahan who has overcome more as a coach and Carrol whose team is insane. I'm tired of feel-good stories winning coach of the year when there are clearly better candidates.

Meh, you play the teams on your schedule....nothing you can do about that. Same for injuries....they happend to everyone.

Seattle had a really good defense last year (a top ten defense) and managed to go 7-9. So to say they were a bad team last year is kind of silly. They were a middle of the pack team that has improved slightly this year. Not really that impressive, IMO.

Poet
12-28-2012, 05:03 PM
They were a below average team that is viewed as a SB contender. That's not a slight improvement.

As far as injuries, yes, injuries occur to every team, but can you find me a major injury that the Colts had? Or one that was as impactful as Orakpo? The schedule is the schedule, and strength of schedule is a tie-breaker used for playoff positiong and is used by fans and the media as a way to gauge a team's success. You can't just brush it off as inconsequential because it doesn't support your argument.

You have proposed that he's coach of the year because his team was awful. That's all you have for your argument. As far as head coaching goes, he's been a head coach candidate for a long time. Was it an ideal situation? No, it was far from that, but I don't see how it makes this season a monumental feat.

slim
12-28-2012, 06:45 PM
They were a below average team that is viewed as a SB contender. That's not a slight improvement.

As far as injuries, yes, injuries occur to every team, but can you find me a major injury that the Colts had? Or one that was as impactful as Orakpo? The schedule is the schedule, and strength of schedule is a tie-breaker used for playoff positiong and is used by fans and the media as a way to gauge a team's success. You can't just brush it off as inconsequential because it doesn't support your argument.

You have proposed that he's coach of the year because his team was awful. That's all you have for your argument. As far as head coaching goes, he's been a head coach candidate for a long time. Was it an ideal situation? No, it was far from that, but I don't see how it makes this season a monumental feat.

Right, the team was the worst team in the league last year and they are a 10 or 11 win team this year.

That is all that needs to be said.

Poet
12-28-2012, 09:24 PM
You just are not a very smart person and I have come to accept that.