PDA

View Full Version : Mark Kiszla: Peyton Manning, MVP candidate, says he's not as good in 2012

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2012, 11:23 PM
It was a startling admission from the No. 1 contender for National Football League MVP: Peyton Manning is not the quarterback he used to be.

To the untrained eye, Manning certainly looked like the best player on the field while leading the Broncos to a 34-12 rout of Cleveland. So I asked, after enduring four neck surgeries and 18 months away from football, if Manning now believed he was playing as well as in his Hall of Fame prime.

"I don't. I do not," Manning replied, without a second of hesitation.

C'mon, man.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_22252060/mark-kiszla-peyton-manning-mvp-candidate

CrazyHorse
12-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Definitely comeback player of the year. I think Rodgers has a slight nod over Manning but wouldn't be surprised if Peyton won it.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Definitely comeback player of the year. I think Rodgers has a slight nod over Manning but wouldn't be surprised if Peyton won it.

I'll be honest, I don't even think Rodgers is in the running (maybe a distant 4th). It will be Manning, Brady, or AP with either AP or Manning getting the CPOY as a consolation prize.

If AP breaks the rushing record and the Vikings make the playoffs, then he probably gets it. If not, Manning is the most likely candidate. Brady has a lot of East coast bias love amongst the media, but he hasn't been as dominant down the stretch as he was earlier in the season. In his last two games he has 3 TDs and 4 ints (doubling his INT total for the year).

CoachChaz
12-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Why do all conversations about MVP always seem to leave Megatron out of the equation? Dude is going to be the first WR to get 2000 receiving yards in a season. If him and AP get 2000, I have to be unbiased and count them as the top candidates for MVP. Johnson, Peterson, Rodgers and Manning will be the top 4 and I wouldnt be surprised if Manning ends up 4th in that voting.

spikerman
12-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Why do all conversations about MVP always seem to leave Megatron out of the equation? Dude is going to be the first WR to get 2000 receiving yards in a season. If him and AP get 2000, I have to be unbiased and count them as the top candidates for MVP. Johnson, Peterson, Rodgers and Manning will be the top 4 and I wouldnt be surprised if Manning ends up 4th in that voting.

Because, fair or not, the team's record makes a difference in the voting. Detroit has been such a mess this year that I think Megatron is an afterthought to the MVP voters.

NightTrainLayne
12-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm astounded that anyone, on any team is about to receive for 2,000 yards.

I figured Rice's record would likely never be broken. That is a truly amazing feat.

CrazyHorse
12-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I'll be honest, I don't even think Rodgers is in the running (maybe a distant 4th). It will be Manning, Brady, or AP with either AP or Manning getting the CPOY as a consolation prize.

If AP breaks the rushing record and the Vikings make the playoffs, then he probably gets it. If not, Manning is the most likely candidate. Brady has a lot of East coast bias love amongst the media, but he hasn't been as dominant down the stretch as he was earlier in the season. In his last two games he has 3 TDs and 4 ints (doubling his INT total for the year).

Rodgers has done it without a good running game, defense, and pretty poor offensive line. I think Calvin Johnson should be offensive player of the year at this point.

nyuk nyuk
12-24-2012, 11:48 AM
If Peyton wasn't doing so well, I'd suggest having his head examined.

In interviews, though, he says he's not sure what is old injury and what is his age, so...

zbeg
12-25-2012, 04:20 AM
I'm astounded that anyone, on any team is about to receive for 2,000 yards.

I figured Rice's record would likely never be broken. That is a truly amazing feat.

All passing and passing-related records are in jeopardy now with the way the NFL's pushed the game in that direction.

Rice's record would have stood a lot longer if we played under the same rule enforcement as the 90s. And probably all of Marino's single season records, too.

Northman
12-25-2012, 07:20 AM

There can be a very strong case for Megatron. But it generally goes to a team that actually is winning unfortuantely.

Northman
12-25-2012, 07:22 AM
The other case i will make for Manning is he is doing it with a brand new team unlike the other candidates.

MOtorboat
12-25-2012, 09:59 AM
There can be a very strong case for Megatron. But it generally goes to a team that actually is winning unfortuantely.

I don't think its unfortunate at all that the MVP award typically goes to a player on a playoff team. To me, anyway, valuable means the team has to finish the season well, too. I know other people have other definitions of valuable, but mine includes being on a winning team.

Offensive Player of the Year is a different case. Then, I'd agree that Megatron deserves to at least be mentioned.

Northman
12-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't think its unfortunate at all that the MVP award typically goes to a player on a playoff team. To me, anyway, valuable means the team has to finish the season well, too. I know other people have other definitions of valuable, but mine includes being on a winning team.

Offensive Player of the Year is a different case. Then, I'd agree that Megatron deserves to at least be mentioned.

Yea see, my definition is most valuable player to that team. In other words, without Megatron the Lions arent nearly as good as they have been and would be a lot worse. When you take winning teams a lot of times there is more than one valuable player on them. In Denver's case you could easily make that argument for Von Miller as well as Manning.

MOtorboat
12-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Yea see, my definition is most valuable player to that team. In other words, without Megatron the Lions arent nearly as good as they have been and would be a lot worse. When you take winning teams a lot of times there is more than one valuable player on them. In Denver's case you could easily make that argument for Von Miller as well as Manning.

Again, I disagree. Most valuable player "to the league" IMO.

I don't know how the MVP thing happened, becaus it's in every sport, but the definition of it is so ambiguous.

Jsteve01
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
At least football has the offensive player award as an option. Baseball always has a fantastic player on a bad team who gets no run as it were.

Simple Jaded
12-25-2012, 04:52 PM
The Lions eliminate Johnson from any legitimate claim whatsoever to the MVP title.......

Poet
12-25-2012, 04:59 PM
When the Vikings get whipped by the Packers, AP will be eliminated from the talk as well. It really should be the best player award,but it's not and Manning never said something dumb about NFL players be slaves.

In other words, even though AP may be having a better season, in thiscase, I'll be happy that the 'best' player didn't get it.

Manning all day.

slim
12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
When the Vikings get whipped by the Packers, AP will be eliminated from the talk as well. It really should be the best player award,but it's not and Manning never said something dumb about NFL players be slaves.

In other words, even though AP may be having a better season, in thiscase, I'll be happy that the 'best' player didn't get it.

Manning all day.

I forgot about the slave thing.

What a dumbass.

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 12:20 PM
If Peyton wasn't doing so well, I'd suggest having his head examined.

In interviews, though, he says he's not sure what is old injury and what is his age, so...
his head wont fit inside a standard MRI machine.

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 12:28 PM

Manning all day.....and what if ad/ap runs for 200 yardsd against the packers?
how rare is it that TWO players are not only top contenders for CBPoy, but also the MVP?
FWIW there have been 2 years that there were co-mvps !
and one player won it TWICE in 3 years !, yes, megatron is having an amazing, record setting season, but is he the most VALUABLe player?
not when you look at his teams record, sorry.
if a Hc or GM was picking sides for a team, would he pick AP, manning, or megatron for the year?