PDA

View Full Version : Root for Houston or no?

cmc0605
12-23-2012, 07:41 PM
If I understand correctly, the AFC #1-3 seeds are wide open. Denver needs a win next week to get a bye. Obviously we're rooting for them.

With the obvious caveat that none of our opinions matter for the outcome of games, in the fan-world, one of the dilemmas I see going forward is whether we should root for Houston to win next week, with Houston retaining the #1 seed, or whether we'd rather see New England not get a top 2 seed. Ideally, New England and Houston would both lose, giving us #1 and New England the #3 seed. But in a world where that doesn't happen, what would you prefer? After today's performance against the Vikings, I think it's more likely that the Colts beat Houston than it is that Miami beats New England (granted the Jags gave Belichick and co. some fight).

I believe NE holds the tiebreaker over Houston because of their win a couple weeks ago.

If I'm correct, then assuming New England and Denver win, a Houston loss would mean Denver becomes #1 seed and NE becomes #2 seed. If Houston wins, then Houston is #1 seed and Denver is #2 seed. While I'd love to have the #1 seed, I'd also not want to give Brady and Belichick a week off.

SR
12-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Doesn't matter. The SB goes through NE regardless.

chazoe60
12-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Go COLTS!!!

SR
12-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Go COLTS!!!

My thoughts exactly.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Right now I just want Denver to beat KC.......

Davii
12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Doesn't matter. The SB goes through NE regardless.

How so?

Nomad
12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Go COLTS!!!

Right now I just want Denver to beat KC.......

Beating KC is #1 priority and Colts winning would be a bonus.

SR
12-23-2012, 08:02 PM
How so?

Because in my mind they're the most experienced team in the AFC and the best team in the NFL.

Nomad
12-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Because in my mind they're the most experienced team in the AFC and the best team in the NFL.

True!

Army Bronco
12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Doesn't matter. The SB goes through NE regardless. Im thinking it goes through Denver this year. Well, after Hou loses the Div game and we win ours.

underrated29
12-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Exactly. NE might be the best aside from us. However, the road to the Super Bowl goes through Denver. Make no mistake

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Gary Miller post game stated he talked with someone in Indianapolis, and Pagano, who will be back on the sidelines, will decide next week if he will play or sit Luck & starters.

Also, according to the following link on NFL, if Houston is #1, and the Broncos #2, Houston would play the lowest winning seed from wild-card round, and the Broncos would play the highest winning seed from wild-card round. If this is the way it ends up, the Broncos would probably be playing NE.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Based on this, it would be best if Indy beat Houston.

Poet
12-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Why? Their defense is bad and they aren't winning Super Bowls anymore. They fluked into the SB last year.

Northman
12-23-2012, 08:34 PM
I want the #1 seed if possible.

Joel
12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
The Pats should waste Miami, and I want them playing in the first round, without a chance to rest/heal their players, and on the road for every later game (actually, I don't want there to BE later ones.) Also, I'm from Houston, as is former Broncos QB/OC and current Texans head coach Gary Kubiak; current Texans DC Wade Phillips was Shannys predecessor in Denver. Also, the Colts killed Denver repeatedly in the playoffs and regular season when they had Manning. Go, Texans.

And, yes, the Pats have the head-to-head tiebreak over Houston and Denver, just as Houston has it over Denver. Don't assume the Pats would smash a 2nd seated Houston on the road in the divisional round either; Schaub is still an awful QB and Houston is in trouble against anyone who can shut down their run and make him beat them, but the Pats D is pretty awful, too, so they can't. Yes, they smashed the Texans in New England, but Houston teams have never played well in the cold, and this one won't have half its defensive starters on the sideline and more playing hurt if they face NE again in the playoffs.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2012, 09:59 PM
On Football Night in America they showed a bracket of how it would break down if the season ended now, iirc it had B-more and Indy squaring off in Denver's bracket and NE and Cinci squaring off in Houston's bracket.......

Army Bronco
12-23-2012, 10:07 PM
It seems as though some of us are not believing this but...WE ARE the BEST team in the AFC right now regardless of seating. I like our chances at home or on the road anywhere. If we play in Hou then we need to keep doing what were doing now. If NE comes to Den, then we need to be ready for some stupid trickery McDouchey will have for us. Did you see Bradys face after that last sack? We need to play them hard nosed and they will fold.

Davii
12-23-2012, 10:31 PM

Ok , sure, but they will be on the road after the first playoff game so the Super Bowl doesn't "go through" NE.

Davii
12-23-2012, 10:37 PM
On Football Night in America they showed a bracket of how it would break down if the season ended now, iirc it had B-more and Indy squaring off in Denver's bracket and NE and Cinci squaring off in Houston's bracket.......

We play the highest seed remaining, right now NE is the 3 so if they win their game we play them no matter who wins the other game. Only way we play anyone but NE in week 2 is if Cincy wins then we would play the winner of Colts-Ravens.

Of course, that's assuming the seeding stays as is.

Joel
12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Another point to consider is that it's not impossible we AND Houston lose next week but the Pats win. Then we probably still face Houston on the road—in the divisional round, with the winner going to Foxboro unless someone else beats them first. Honestly, I think Pagano's an idiot if he's serious about Luck being a game time decision against Houston. The Colts are locked into the #5 seed; they can't win their division, and the Bengals can't move up even with a win and Colts loss. There's literally nothing for Indy to play for save the satisfaction of denying their divisions champ homefield throughout the playoffs: Why push your Luck?

Folks can play with playoff scenarios (and see each teams final matchup) here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine With NE hosting Miami next week, the only way to prevent them getting a first round bye is for Denver AND Houston to win, and if both LOSE the Pats are probably the #1 seed. Unacceptable. I want them denied time to rest and heal, and on the road as much as a division winner can be.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-23-2012, 10:52 PM
It's flippin' sad how scared of the Patriots some of you little girls are. Last week was, "would it be better to lose to Baltimore"? Now it's, "would it be better for Houston to win so maybe the Pats get beaten in the first round of the playoffs so we don't have to play them"?

You guys are the biggest bunch of Sallies I've ever seen. Guess what, WE are the team that's won 10 in a row. WE are the team that everyone is scared of. WE are the team nobody wants to see in the playoffs. I WANT THOSE ******* PATRIOTS SO WE CAN KICK THEIR ASS AND YOU GIRLY-MEN CAN STOP WORRYING ABOUT THEM!

Bring on the Patsies! We'll kick their bitch asses... :boxing:

The ONLY answer is that we want Houston to lose so that we have the #1 seed if we beat KC. Period. Who in their right mind wouldn't want the AFC to go through Denver??? I'm stunned at the cowardice of some folks...

Army Bronco
12-23-2012, 11:03 PM
It's flippin' sad how scared of the Patriots some of you little girls are. Last week was, "would it be better to lose to Baltimore"? Now it's, "would it be better for Houston to win so maybe the Pats get beaten in the first round of the playoffs so we don't have to play them"?

You guys are the biggest bunch of Sallies I've ever seen. Guess what, WE are the team that's won 10 in a row. WE are the team that everyone is scared of. WE are the team nobody wants to see in the playoffs. I WANT THOSE ******* PATRIOTS SO WE CAN KICK THEIR ASS AND YOU GIRLY-MEN CAN STOP WORRYING ABOUT THEM!

The ONLY answer is that we want Houston to lose so that we have the #1 seed if we beat KC. Period. Who in their right mind wouldn't want the AFC to go through Denver??? I'm stunned at the cowardice of some folks... Lol except for calling our fans crap, I agree with you 110%! We are the team to beat. Just ask any other team in the AFC. I also want to play the Pats so we can finish them off.

Joel
12-23-2012, 11:08 PM

The ONLY answer is that we want Houston to lose so that we have the #1 seed if we beat KC. Period. Who in their right mind wouldn't want the AFC to go through Denver??? I'm stunned at the cowardice of some folks...
I just want the Pats to face every possible obstacle to another Super Bowl appearance, much less win. I absolutely despise the arrogant graceless cheating they represent, and don't want Brady to break Elways record for Super Bowl starts. If they ever make another one I want it to be like the Giants did when they beat NE the first time: Play every week on the road, against all the top seeds. Winning their division earned them one home game, but I don't want them to rest the first week or have any cushy home games after that. They aren't very good, but anyone can get lucky once or twice, especially bending the rules with help.

Denver's not perfect, but the way we and everyone else are playing we are clearly the AFCs best team, so it really shouldn't matter whom we play when or where. At this point I'm inclined to expect a Houston/Denver AFCCG, but if the best thing about that game would be that one of my two favorite teams goes to the Super Bowl, NEs absence from it would be a close second.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Lol except for calling our fans crap, I agree with you 110%! We are the team to beat. Just ask any other team in the AFC. I also want to play the Pats so we can finish them off.

I'm not calling our fans crap AB, I'm just stunned at some folks' fear of Tom "polesmoker" Brady and Bill Bellicheat combined with the apparent lack of confidence they have in our Broncos team. It's just sad.

The NFL is all about matchups. How do we get the best matchup? Home field advantage. I hope the Colts kick the crap out of Houston so we can have that nice home cookin', combined with a rabid home fanbase to help our Broncos to the Superbowl.

camdisco24
12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
If 10 wins in a row doesn't boost confidence in this team nothing will. We are scary right now. Pats are just another obstacle for us to roll over. Bring em' on!

Army Bronco
12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Lol except for calling our fans crap, I agree with you 110%! We are the team to beat. Just ask any other team in the AFC. I also want to play the Pats so we can finish them off.

I'm not calling our fans crap AB, I'm just stunned at some folks' fear of Tom "polesmoker" Brady and Bill Bellicheat combined with the apparent lack of confidence they have in our Broncos team. It's just sad.

The NFL is all about matchups. How do we get the best matchup? Home field advantage. I hope the Colts kick the crap out of Houston so we can have that nice home cookin', combined with a rabid home fanbase to help our Broncos to the Superbowl. ... and roger! Lets kick some A$$!

Tebowtime2011
12-23-2012, 11:39 PM
How so?

Because in my mind they're the most experienced team in the AFC and the best team in the NFL. So what the best team during the regular season doesnt mean they will go to superbowl. I know the giants were not the best team in the regular season last year.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't care who the Broncos play - I want the Broncos to be the #1 seed to have all of their games at home.

chazoe60
12-23-2012, 11:55 PM
The question is dumb IMHO, you root for the Broncos to be the #1 seed no matter what it takes.

cmc0605
12-24-2012, 12:11 AM

I actually agree 100% with this. For the record, I don't think ideas about "losing to Baltimore" are even worth the time of day. But I think talking about the best path through the playoffs, in general, is a worthwhile discussion, and all fans have their opinions on this.

That said, while I agree Denver is "the team" right now, I don't think it's particularly constructive to pretend that some scenarios aren't better for a Denver super bowl trip than other scenarios. Super bowl destinies are largely a matter of talent but also turn out to depend largely on things like this. I understand the "just focus on your team" approach- but when Belichick and company have a week off, have some extra time to look at film on others, and rest their players, etc (or when they play in Foxboro) they will very likely be a much better collective unit. Of course, it's also the case that I'd rather play Houston at Mile High than in Texas.

Nothing to do with being scared.

DenBronx
12-24-2012, 12:26 AM
To be the man you have to beat the man - Ric Flair

Poet
12-24-2012, 01:16 AM
To be the man you have to beat the man - Ric Flair

You guys can't realistically play the Giants right now.

CrazyHorse
12-24-2012, 02:54 AM
You guys can't realistically play the Giants right now.

Giants win, Bears, Cowboys, and Vikings lose and they're in the playoffs...

I want Denver to win and both Houston and the Patriots to lose. That way we get top seed Houston gets second and Pats third.

Poet
12-24-2012, 02:59 AM
Giants win, Bears, Cowboys, and Vikings lose and their in the playoffs...

I want Denver to win and both Houston and the Patriots to lose. That way we get top seed Houston gets second and Pats third.

I'd prefer to not play the Patriots in the first round. Anyone else we have a shot against. BB will mindrape Dalton.

zbeg
12-24-2012, 05:00 AM

I'm a self-admitted girly man.

Who ended our 7 game win streak last year? New England in a blowout.
Who ended our season after we had a rocking overtime win over the #1 defense last year? New England in a blowout.
Who made a good Broncos defense look absolutely awful this year? New England.
Who made a good Houston defense (the team that also beat us soundly) look like a bunch of amateurs? New England.
Who has the best tight ends in the league, an area which the Broncos defense are weak against? New England.

So yeah, call me a Sally. Careful what you wish for because the Patriots feel a little like the Colts used to feel like. No matter how good the Broncos were, PFM would find a way to win, and often make the Broncos look really really bad in the process. Manning's no longer able to crush our hopes and dreams by playing quarterback against our corners, but Brady's just as good.

No thank you. The Broncos have a good coach. The Patriots have a better coach. The Broncos have a great quarterback. They have a quarterback who is just as great.

Stay away, Patriots! Go lose to the Bengals or someone. I won't feel bad if we win the SB without beating New England. SB XXXIII didn't feel any worse because we played against Atlanta instead of Minnesota. I'll take the Lombardi and live to see another day.

Nomad
12-24-2012, 07:55 AM
I'd like to find out zbeg. I'd rather see a scenario where the BRONCOS play the Pats in the AFCCG. The points you state are true and the Pats have had the BRONCOS number as of late and both teams are playing solid football.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Who ended our season after we had a rocking overtime win over the #1 defense last year? New England in a blowout.
Who made a good Houston defense (the team that also beat us soundly) look like a bunch of amateurs? New England.
Who has the best tight ends in the league, an area which the Broncos defense are weak against? New England.

So yeah, call me a Sally. Careful what you wish for because the Patriots feel a little like the Colts used to feel like. No matter how good the Broncos were, PFM would find a way to win, and often make the Broncos look really really bad in the process. Manning's no longer able to crush our hopes and dreams by playing quarterback against our corners, but Brady's just as good.

No thank you. The Broncos have a good coach. The Patriots have a better coach. The Broncos have a great quarterback. They have a quarterback who is just as great.

Stay away, Patriots! Go lose to the Bengals or someone. I won't feel bad if we win the SB without beating New England. SB XXXIII didn't feel any worse because we played against Atlanta instead of Minnesota. I'll take the Lombardi and live to see another day.

I'm the guy that looks at the Patriots and says, they just lost to the 49ers and almost got beaten by the woeful Jaguars. I'm the guy who thinks past games (before PFM on offense and JDR on defense) just don't matter, we're a different team now. I'm a guy that thinks poorly timed turnovers are what killed us in the first game vs the Patriots combined with their breakneck no-huddle offense which won't be as effective in Denver with the altitude and crowd noise. I'm the guy who has seen this team evolve and become extremely potent on both sides of the ball and is the best team in the league in the second half of games.

Most of all, I've seen plenty of flaws in the Patriots this year. For as good as their offense is, their defense just, well, isn't. They don't have a Championship defense. They will lose in the playoffs, either to us or to someone else.

CrazyHorse
12-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Who lost to the Arizona Cardinals? The Patriots.
Who got blown out in one half by the 49ers? The Patriots.
Who lost to a Ravens team we destroyed? The Patriots.
Who barely beat the Jaguars? The Patriots.

NightTrainLayne
12-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm the guy that looks at the Patriots and says, they just lost to the 49ers and almost got beaten by the woeful Jaguars. I'm the guy who thinks past games (before PFM on offense and JDR on defense) just don't matter, we're a different team now. I'm a guy that thinks poorly timed turnovers are what killed us in the first game vs the Patriots combined with their breakneck no-huddle offense which won't be as effective in Denver with the altitude and crowd noise. I'm the guy who has seen this team evolve and become extremely potent on both sides of the ball and is the best team in the league in the second half of games.

Most of all, I've seen plenty of flaws in the Patriots this year. For as good as their offense is, their defense just, well, isn't. They don't have a Championship defense. They will lose in the playoffs, either to us or to someone else.

In that first game we were poised to get an early lead on the Pats before DT's fumble. Turnovers killed us in that game, on the road.

I look forward to playing the Pats. Yes, I'm a little worried, but I'm worried about EVERY game in the playoffs. .. they're all damn good teams. But I'm not afraid, and I look forward to lining up with them again, and anyone else. That's what this game is all about!

BroncoWave
12-24-2012, 12:31 PM
How exactly is it better for us to have the Patriots play in the first round than to have homefield throughout? That makes no sense to me, for several reasons.

A- The argument that we want NE to play in the first round so they may lose there. Does anyone think there is a snow's chance in hell Cincy wins at NE in round 1? Come on man. That's ridiculous.

B- We are likely going to have to host NE at one point or another. I would rather it be in the AFCCG than the Divisional round. I can see how you'd rather play them in the divisional round so we'd have 2 weeks to prepare, but Manning has an awful record in divisional rounds when he has a first round bye. I really think it messes up the rhythm.

C- Why the **** would you not want every playoff game to be in Mile High??? Once again, COME ON MAN!

nyuk nyuk
12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I want the top seed, though I see advantages in not giving the Polaroids a week off.

NightTrainLayne
12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Line us up against anybody! I don't care.

This is the best team we've had since 1998. We made it to the AFC Championship game in 2005/06, and that was a good team. . ..but this one is head and shoulders above that team imo. I'm not going to waste a minute of time worrying about who I'd rather play, or what seeding we have. This team is ready for anyone.

BroncoWave
12-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I see advantages in not giving the Polaroids a week off.

I don't. It's not like we're going to have to play the Pats with them coming off a bye. Whenever we play them they will have had a game the week before. Unless we lose to KC and go in as the 3 seed.

Nomad
12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Line us up against anybody! I don't care.

This is the best team we've had since 1998. We made it to the AFC Championship game in 2005/06, and that was a good team. . ..but this one is head and shoulders above that team imo. I'm not going to waste a minute of time worrying about who I'd rather play, or what seeding we have. This team is ready for anyone.

Next team up.......Chiefs! Is it Sunday yet:lol:

nyuk nyuk
12-24-2012, 01:24 PM
It seems as though some of us are not believing this but...WE ARE the BEST team in the AFC right now regardless of seating. I like our chances at home or on the road anywhere. If we play in Hou then we need to keep doing what were doing now. If NE comes to Den, then we need to be ready for some stupid trickery McDouchey will have for us. Did you see Bradys face after that last sack? We need to play them hard nosed and they will fold.

I recall he was quite slow in getting up. They kept hitting him.

Army Bronco
12-24-2012, 01:39 PM

I recall he was quite slow in getting up. They kept hitting him. I know right!!!!! Loved it. I know the patriots are always good but i believe some teams can be punched in the face a few times and they dont play as hard. They are very much finesse team. Its funny to cause Brady just pouts on the sideline. I hated watching Orton after he gets hit cause he would quit too. Its rhe Patriot way...thats what McD and BB likes in QBs.

Joel
12-24-2012, 06:24 PM
How exactly is it better for us to have the Patriots play in the first round than to have homefield throughout? That makes no sense to me, for several reasons.

A- The argument that we want NE to play in the first round so they may lose there. Does anyone think there is a snow's chance in hell Cincy wins at NE in round 1? Come on man. That's ridiculous.
Any team on any given Sunday. How many people thought we could beat the Steelers in the first round of last years playoffs? How many people thought the Giants could beat the Pats in SB XLII?

B- We are likely going to have to host NE at one point or another. I would rather it be in the AFCCG than the Divisional round. I can see how you'd rather play them in the divisional round so we'd have 2 weeks to prepare, but Manning has an awful record in divisional rounds when he has a first round bye. I really think it messes up the rhythm.
Except that if we and the Texans lose but NE wins they get the #1 seed, a bye and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. If the Texans lose and we and the Pats win they get the #2 seed, a bye and homefield against anyone but us. If all three of us win we get the #2 seed, a bye and homefield against anyone but Houston, while the Pats get the #3, no bye and their only home game is Wildcard Weekend. An extra week to rest and heal is at least as big as homefield, but there are only two ways to deny NE both:

1) Miami beats NE or 2) We AND Houston win. Rather than rooting for the Colts, we should be rooting for Miami, though that's a rather desperate hope. I'm rooting for us and Houston instead.

However, I do find it interesting that everyone convinced Houston is a paper tiger and Denver can beat anyone is dead set on playing them at Mile High. If we're that good and they're that bad we will walk over them in Houston OR Denver.

C- Why the **** would you not want every playoff game to be in Mile High??? Once again, COME ON MAN!
If we and Houston win the only way we won't play every game at Mile High is if we both make the AFCCG. If they're as bad as everyone seems to think, that's a non-concern, but a Texans and Broncos win forces NE to play each round, and on the road in all but the wildcard game. Maybe Denver just sucked too long, but the Patriots not reaching, let alone winning, the Super Bowl is almost as important to me as Denver winning it. The same is true to a slightly lesser degree with Baltimore and a much lesser degree with Cincy. It's the difference between finding out someone slept with your wife and finding out your ex-girlfriend did.

Meanwhile, when Kubiak went home to Houston from Denver, he took Alex Gibbs, Rick Dennison and the Broncos Super Bowl winning offense with him. More often than not, players we cut soon followed him, at least while Shanny was still coaching; that's why Chris Myers went from being an up and coming C/G when Denver drafted him to being an elite C in Houston. When former Broncos head coach Wade Phillips arrived a team with a stellar offense and no D suddenly became elite as well. If Houston or Denver must be denied a Super Bowl, I much prefer it be by the other rather than someone like NE or Baltimore. Kinda like how if Peyton or Eli Manning couldn't win a Super Bowl you can bet they would want the other to do so rather than anyone else.'

Root for Denver and the team made in the '98 Broncos image by every offensive assistance coach on the latter, and make the Cheatriots play as many games as possible, on the road, with no rest for the wicked. If we're the best team we'll win the Super Bowl, but if we're not, or we slip up in just ONE game (ala the 2005 AFCCG) I'd rather Houston than NE cruise to the SB by default. The last thing I want is another Packers/Steelers Super Bowl SOMEONE I despise MUST win. The Pats can't win in Denver OR Houston: Make them try.

zbeg
12-24-2012, 09:54 PM

AJ Green is a big problem for the Patriots, and their interior offensive line is the weak part of their offense. I'm not saying I'm going to go out and bet the Bengals, but they do create matchup problems for the Patriots. New England's secondary is not good and they have nobody who can cover a guy like Green. They also will have problems with Geno Atkins. At least, that's the matchup. The Patriots can obviously scheme to try to hide those deficiencies and they're the best at anyone doing it, but if the Pats are going to get upset by any of the meh teams in the postseason, the Bengals are probably the best bet.

Poet
12-24-2012, 10:33 PM
BTB, please stop talking shit about my team. You told me earlier this year that you'd roll us with no problem.

Guess what, we gave you a big problem.

Cincinnati has the best interior pass rush in the AFC by far. That's what hurts Brady. I don't think we'd win, but stop acting like Cincinnati is some helpless assboy.

SR
12-24-2012, 10:34 PM
BTB, please stop talking shit about my team. You told me earlier this year that you'd roll us with no problem.

Cincinnati has the best interior pass rush in the AFC by far. That's what hurts Brady. I don't think we'd win, but stop acting like Cincinnati is some helpless assboy.

Your team's interior pass rush was rubbed out against Denver. Your running game didn't do shit. Denver would trounce Cinci. Sorry to say but it's truth.

Poet
12-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Your team's interior pass rush was rubbed out against Denver. Your running game didn't do shit. Denver would trounce Cinci. Sorry to say but it's truth.

You really missed the mark with this post.

I was bringing up BTB being dead wrong about a game earlier to remind him that his predictions aren't exactly from the eyes of a seer.

As far as trounce, who knows. I don't think you'd win by more than ten points, which isn't a trouncing. Then running game has picked up the last four or five games. Pittsbugh stopped it dead in it's track, but their run defense speaks for itself, best in the league IIRC.

Joel
12-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Actually, looking back, King is right and I'm wrong; message edited accordingly (sorry.)

Poet
12-24-2012, 11:24 PM
I expected the Bengals to give us a big problem, but they didn't. We didn't dominate them, but controlled that game pretty much from start to finish.

You won by eight points and ironically before the Dalton pick this message board was throwing a tizzy in the weekly game thread.

It's pretty pompous to just assume you'd thrash us. Bigger upsets have occurred.

Army Bronco
12-25-2012, 02:51 AM
I expected the Bengals to give us a big problem, but they didn't. We didn't dominate them, but controlled that game pretty much from start to finish.

You won by eight points and ironically before the Dalton pick this message board was throwing a tizzy in the weekly game thread.

It's pretty pompous to just assume you'd thrash us. Bigger upsets have occurred. Cin was one of the harder games we had this year
AJ Green played well. We were good enough to win but Cin is no cake walk. Lets worry bout KC. They are the next game and we barely beat em.

Chidoze
12-25-2012, 04:25 AM
It's simple for me...

I'm rooting for the Colts this week to beat the Texans.

Texans lose, Broncos get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

I could care less if the Patriots get a first round bye, I want home field advantage.

Home field is huge in the playoffs :salute:

zbeg
12-25-2012, 07:18 AM
It's simple for me...

I'm rooting for the Colts this week to beat the Texans.

Texans lose, Broncos get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

I could care less if the Patriots get a first round bye, I want home field advantage.

Home field is huge in the playoffs :salute:

Pats lose, Texans lose, Broncos win, Broncos get the 1 seed, Pats lose in wildcard round, Broncos cruise through the AFC, play the 49ers, win 56-10.

Book it.

BroncoWave
12-25-2012, 08:14 AM

King, I'll be rooting my ass off for you guys against the Pats. It's nothing personal against you, I just don't think the Bengals are good enough to beat the Pats on most days. Sure on any given day a team could win, but I think the Pats win at home against you guys 9 out of 10 times. I just don't like teams that are one trick ponies on offense, especially in the playoffs against a team with an explosive offense like the Pats. If Talib can at least do a decent job on Green how are you guys going to outscore them?

zbeg
12-25-2012, 08:46 AM
King, I'll be rooting my ass off for you guys against the Pats. It's nothing personal against you, I just don't think the Bengals are good enough to beat the Pats on most days. Sure on any given day a team could win, but I think the Pats win at home against you guys 9 out of 10 times. I just don't like teams that are one trick ponies on offense, especially in the playoffs against a team with an explosive offense like the Pats. If Talib can at least do a decent job on Green how are you guys going to outscore them?

I didn't watch the Jaguars game. Does anyone know what happened? Jacksonville's got a pretty bad offense usually, and I know Cecil Shorts got hurt in that game as well.

MOtorboat
12-25-2012, 09:46 AM
I didn't watch the Jaguars game. Does anyone know what happened? Jacksonville's got a pretty bad offense usually, and I know Cecil Shorts got hurt in that game as well.

Chad Henne threw two interceptions in the final four minutes, both from inside the five yard line.

Oh, and no, I'm not rooting for either the Texans or the Patriots next week. You always want home field when you can get it.

BroncoWave
12-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Chad Henne threw two interceptions in the final four minutes, both from inside the five yard line.

Oh, and no, I'm not rooting for either the Texans or the Patriots next week. You always want home field when you can get it.

Absolutely. I can't believe people think there is more value in NE not getting a first round bye than there is in Denver getting homefield throughout. Assuming seeds hold, I think home for Baltimore and home for NE is a way better path to the title than home for NE and at Houston.

zbeg
12-25-2012, 10:13 AM

I meant more what happened for the Patriots to make it close. Chad Henne throwing interceptions is kind of what I expect. The Jaguars being in the game at all in the final four minutes is not.

MOtorboat
12-25-2012, 10:16 AM
I meant more what happened for the Patriots to make it close. Chad Henne throwing interceptions is kind of what I expect. The Jaguars being in the game at all in the final four minutes is not.

I wasn't able to watch the game, so not entirely sure, but Brady threw a couple of interceptions too.

Chef Zambini
12-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Our broncos have excelled this season because they igored all the 'pathway scenarios' and just focused on the game at hand. while we debate our own oersonnal preferances, I hoipe our players and coaches continue to avoid the nonensense and just concentrate on the task at hand!
I do fear BB with an extra week to prepare, I admit that freely.
as for all the rest?
HFA is genuine for PFM, who can AUDIBLE AT HOME !

Joel
12-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Any team on any given Sunday, one big reason I don't want to give NE a free pass to a home divisional game. The chance they lose can only increase with the number of games they play, especially since playing in each round forces them to do it without anyone who's hurt. Playing on the road means (among other things) they can't send out convicts with snowplows to help them make game-winning FGs. Make them play.

Chef Zambini
12-26-2012, 03:07 AM
joel I appreciate your loyalty to both the texans and the broncos. because i have tremendous respect for KUBIAK as well as the philips kid, I would consider the texans my second favorite to win the AFC.
I dont like the idea of the pats getting a bye. an extra week for BB to prepare and for their players to rest and heal?
no way does that sound appealing !
But our broncos should just continue to focus on winning their next game, whoever, wherever, whenever.
it is that mentality that has served them well, week after victorious week.

TXBRONC
12-26-2012, 11:07 AM

I think the Bengals have good chance of beating Patriots. You have a strong running game, a deep corps of receivers and as you mentioned a very good interior rush on defense.

TXBRONC
12-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I wasn't able to watch the game, so not entirely sure, but Brady threw a couple of interceptions too.

I watched a good portion of the game and even after Brady got "hot" the game still came down to one play.

Dzone
12-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Texans seem like they are on a downslide...of course everything can change in the playoffs, any team can get hot. Just like NYG last year and packers before them

zbeg
12-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Texans seem like they are on a downslide...of course everything can change in the playoffs, any team can get hot. Just like NYG last year and packers before them

They've had a lot of injuries, but I agree - that team really has trouble when it falls behind. It seems like getting up 10-0 on them means they're going to struggle for the rest of the game.

TXBRONC
12-26-2012, 11:41 AM
They've had a lot of injuries, but I agree - that team really has trouble when it falls behind. It seems like getting up 10-0 on them means they're going to struggle for the rest of the game.

The Texans' secondary has been burnt toast over last several weeks.

Northman
12-26-2012, 12:44 PM
The Bengals are the assboy of the contenders.

Love ya King!

Dzone
12-26-2012, 01:01 PM
If the Bengals beat the Patriots...Will be thinking the bengals are the shit until they play Denver

Nomad
12-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Why would people believe the Bengals could beat the Patriots but not the BRONCOS?

Joel
12-26-2012, 02:47 PM
joel I appreciate your loyalty to both the texans and the broncos. because i have tremendous respect for KUBIAK as well as the philips kid, I would consider the texans my second favorite to win the AFC.
I dont like the idea of the pats getting a bye. an extra week for BB to prepare and for their players to rest and heal?
no way does that sound appealing !
But our broncos should just continue to focus on winning their next game, whoever, wherever, whenever.
it is that mentality that has served them well, week after victorious week.
Agreed on all points, and thanks. We all want our Broncos to beat KC (I mean, no one wants us to lose to any of the filth defiling the rest of our division. ;)) There's evidently considerable debate over whether a Texans loss is also desirable. I submit that unless the Dolphins beat the Cheatriots (which I consider very unlikely,) a Texans loss is not only undesirable but unacceptable.

I will go so far as to say NE won't win a single road game in the playoffs, but the sooner that theory is tested, the happier I'll be. I don't think their awful D can handle Manning and Moreno OR Schaub and Foster on the road, and do think the Texans or Broncos D can handle their offense at home if everyone's healthy, particularly if NE lacks time to get rested and healthy. Howver, NE could get lucky once; they won't do it twice.

Chef Zambini
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
the blueprint to beating the pats is rushing brady from the middle.
its always been "attack the pass at the point of origin" for me.
we have the defensive front and JDR to accomplish that !
Joel, the broncos and the tewxans in the AFC championship game...
who cares which one takes out the pats first !

Joel
12-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Their D has been wracked by injuries for the past month. Not only did they lose Brian Cushing for the season a while back, but Bradie James and Brooks Reed were also out against NE. The Texans #1 CB, Jonathan Joseph, played hurt against NE after missing the previous 2-3 games with injury; #2 CB Brice McCain did not play, and has not since.

So the Texans D faced the Pats offense on the road with 3 starting LBs and its #2 CB out, plus its #1 CB playing hurt. It wasn't hard to figure out how that game would go, but it also isn't indicative of how a meeting in three weeks would go. One reason I wanted Houston to beat Minnesota (even though I like them, too) is that they could've rested their starters this week AND gotten a bye before their first playoff game, which could make all the difference in the world.

The Texans' secondary has been burnt toast over last several weeks.
Most of the Texans secondary has been sidelined for the past month. Joseph was out until the Pats game and has been playing hurt since, while McCain and Alan Ball were out then and still are. In the short passing game they are also missing Cushing at LB, while James and Reed have been playing hurt since returning after the NE game (not sure if Barrett Ruud made that game or not; I had to work that day.) Give them a bye and a home game against NE, let alone Baltimore, and I think that game goes very differently, but I'd love to verify that belief.

If the Bengals beat the Patriots...Will be thinking the bengals are the shit until they play Denver

Why would people believe the Bengals could beat the Patriots but not the BRONCOS?
The issue isn't (just) that Cincy can beat NE, but that the game would deny NE a chance to rest and heal, while forcing them to play all their other games on the road. If the Bengals win, so much the better, though we'd still have to do our job against them or whoever we play, but even if they don't NE still plays all their other games on the road with no time to rest or get healthy. The difference between the #3 and #4 seeds is negligible, but the difference between the #2 and #3 seeds is potentially huge.

the blueprint to beating the pats is rushing brady from the middle.
its always been "attack the pass at the point of origin" for me.
we have the defensive front and JDR to accomplish that !
Joel, the broncos and the tewxans in the AFC championship game...
who cares which one takes out the pats first !
Agreed, so long as ONE of them does. I want New Englands only Super Bowl route to be through BOTH teams on the road, because I think that would make their chance of reaching the SB hopeless, in turn making it highly probable either Denver or Houston goes instead. We've both beaten Baltimore and Cincy already, and Houston's already beaten Indy at home (I doubt they'd give us much trouble in Mile High either.)

The best chance of a Broncos/Texans AFCCG is for both to get a bye and homefield advantage against anyone but each other, with NE playing its only home game Wildcard Weekend as Denver and Houston rest, heal and intently watch the Cheatriots' every move, carefully plotting their response. It would be poetic justice for a team that won its only three Super Bowls by illegally taping opponents plays and signals to be bounced by one legally free to watch all their plays and signal calling on national TV while getting healthy. The best chance of a Texans/Broncos AFCCG is also the worst chance of a Patriots AFC Championship.

Chef Zambini
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Their D has been wracked by injuries for the past month. Not only did they lose Brian Cushing for the season a whle back, but Bradie James and Brooks Reed were also out against NE. The Texans #1 CB, Jonathan Joseph, played hurt against NE after missing the previous 2-3 games with injury; #2 CB Brice McCain did not play, and has not since.

So the Texans D faced the Pats offense on the road with its 3 starting LBs and #2 CB out, plus its #1 CB playing hurt. It wasn't hard to figure out how that game would go, but it also isn't indicative of how a meeting in three weeks would go. One reason I wanted Houston to beat Minnesota (even though I like them, too) is that they could've rested their starters this week AND gotten a bye before their first playoff game, which could make all the difference in the world.

Most of the Texans secondary has been sidelined for the past month. Joseph was out until the Pats game and has been playing hurt since, while McCain and Alan Ball were out then and still are. In the short passing game they are also missing Cushing at LB, while James and Reed have been playing hurt since returning after the NE game (not sure if Barrett Ruud made that game or not; I had to work that day.) Give them a bye and a home game against NE, let alone Baltimore, and I think that game goes very differently, but I'd love to verify that belief.

The issue isn't (just) that Cincy can beat NE, but that the game would deny NE a chance to rest and heal, while forcing them to play all their other games on the road. If the Bengals win, so much the better, though we'd still have to do our job against them or whoever we play, but even if they don't NE still plays all their other games on the road with no time to rest or get healthy. The difference between the #3 and #4 seeds is negligible, but the difference between the #2 and #3 seeds is potentially huge.

Agreed, so long as ONE of them does. I want New Englands only Super Bowl route to be through BOTH teams on the road, because I think that would make their chance of reaching the SB hopeless, in turn making it highly probable either Denver or Houston goes instead. We've both beaten Baltimore and Cincy already, and Houston's already beaten Indy at home (I doubt they'd give us much trouble in Mile High either.)

The best chance of a Broncos/Texans AFCCG is for both to get a bye and homefield advantage against anyone but each other, with NE playing its only home game Wildcard Weekend as Denver and Houston rest, heal and intently watch the Cheatriots' every move, carefully plotting their response. It would be poetic justice for a team that won its only three Super Bowls by illegally taping opponents plays and signals to bebounced by one legally free to watch all their plays and signal calling on national TV while getting healthy. The best chance of a Texans/Broncos AFCCG is also the worst chance of a Patriots AFC Championship.
to summarize;
GO MIAMI !

Joel
12-26-2012, 08:43 PM
to summarize;
GO MIAMI !
And Go, Broncos, of course; beating KC ensures us a bye no matter what, and I hope the team's not looking past that even if we fans have that luxury.

Not holding my breath for a Miami win, but yeah; then Houston and Denver get a bye and time to heal whether either wins or loses, and NE doesn't. In fact, if Baltimore beats Cincy all the people scared of NE may regret hoping Indy beats Houston, 'cos then NE plays the #1 seed (assuming they and Baltimore survive Wildcard Weekend.) The trouble is, even though it's a divisional game and the NE D sucks, I just don't think Miami can beat them. If nothing else, and as usual for all their important games, NE is at home, so a team from the Sunshine State must win in Boston a week after Christmas (gentlemen, start your snowplows....)

Otherwise, I want a Texans AND Broncos win, but that or a Pats loss is also the only way to prevent NE getting a bye, and force them to play all but their first game on the road. It's not a huge deal to me whether Denver gets the #1 or #2 seed (Houston may NEED the #1 to have a shot against all the other northern teams,) because we get a bye where no one can get hurt and everyone can get healthier regardless. It IS a big deal to me whether NE gets the #1/2 or the #3/4 seed, for the same reason.

slim
12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Why would any Bronco fan be rooting for Houston this week?

Nomad
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM

The game will be on for most of us......a 0900 start Sunday morning.

slim
12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
The game will be on for most of us......a 0900 start Sunday morning.

I will be watching and rooting for Indy.

I like how they are playing to win. That's the way it should be.

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Why would any Bronco fan be rooting for Houston this week?bingo!
our second favorite team this week has to be MIAMI !

slim
12-27-2012, 10:40 AM
bingo!
our second favorite team this week has to be MIAMI !

I thought Jax was going to pull it off last week. But alas, Chad Henne is Chad Henne.

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 10:40 AM
The game will be on for most of us......a 0900 start Sunday morning. 9 in alaska!
most of us are in the lower 48, 11 MST

BroncoWave
12-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Because they are so afraid of the pats they would trade us having the one seed for them having to play in the first round.

slim
12-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Because they are so afraid of the pats they would trade us having the one seed for them having to play in the first round.

Dumb.

I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

Joel
12-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Because the only difference between #1 Denver/#2 Houston and #1 Houston/#2 Denver is that the AFCCG would be in Houston if we both made it that far. The difference between #1 Houston/#2 Denver and #1 Denver/#2 NE is that the AFFCG would be in Denver if we both make it that far AND the Patriots would play one less game AND be at home against anyone but us.

If Denver is the best team by a mile seeding is irrelevant. If not, the question is if you'd prefer playing NE in Denver or Houston in Houston. Which game scares you? Again, if the answer's "neither" it's irrelevant.

TXBRONC
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Because the only difference between #1 Denver/#2 Houston and #1 Houston/#2 Denver is that the AFCCG would be in Houston if we both made it that far. The difference between #1 Houston/#2 Denver and #1 Denver/#2 NE is that the AFFCG would be in Denver if we both make it that far AND the Patriots would play one less game AND be at home against anyone but us.

If Denver is the best team by a mile seeding is irrelevant. If not, the question is if you'd prefer playing NE in Denver or Houston in Houston. Which game scares you? Again, if the answer's "neither" it's irrelevant.

I agree if Denver is as good as we think they are then should stand good chance winning on the road. However I would prefer for Denver to play at home. It's an advantage for the Broncos to play in the thin air of Mile High.

BroncoWave
12-27-2012, 01:00 PM

You realize if Houston wins we likely have to host NE AND go to Houston. Given that we will have to host NE either way I'd rather the other game be home for Baltimore / Indy than at Houston.

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
I agree if Denver is as good as we think they are then should stand good chance winning on the road. However I would prefer for Denver to play at home. It's an advantage for the Broncos to play in the thin air of Mile High.as well as PFM having the ability to audible !

slim
12-27-2012, 01:15 PM

But that's not really the question. Houston has no impact on where we play NE.

Joel
12-27-2012, 09:09 PM
You realize if Houston wins we likely have to host NE AND go to Houston. Given that we will have to host NE either way I'd rather the other game be home for Baltimore / Indy than at Houston.
And if Houston loses we likely have to host NE and Houston; the difference is NE won't have to play an extra game first, so they'll have a week to rest or heal. That's a bigger deal to me than whether we can beat Houston if 1) we make it to the AFCCG and 2) so do they; having homefield against everyone BUT Houston only matters if BOTH of us reach the AFCCG.

But that's not really the question. Houston has no impact on where we play NE.
OK, yeah, a Broncos win gives us homefield over NE no matter what. So the question is whether you prefer playing Houston in Houston IF (and only if) we both reach the AFCCG, or giving New England a week off to rest and heal before their first home playoff game. I strongly prefer the latter, especially since the only way seeding Houston and Denver #1 and #2 won't give us every game at home is if we both reach the AFCCG. Otherwise, seeding Denver either #1 OR 2 is exactly the same—except that the seeding us #1 gives the Cheatriots a free week for the 19 people on their injury report to become uninjured before playing us in the AFCCG, which they won't have to do until winning a divisional game at home instead of on the road.

Ya'll make it sound like Denver can't win a road game ANYWHERE; I can only hope that's not true: The Super Bowl is in New Orleans.... :tongue:

BroncoWave
12-28-2012, 05:54 PM
And if Houston loses we likely have to host NE and Houston; the difference is NE won't have to play an extra game first, so they'll have a week to rest or heal. That's a bigger deal to me than whether we can beat Houston if 1) we make it to the AFCCG and 2) so do they; having homefield against everyone BUT Houston only matters if BOTH of us reach the AFCCG.

OK, yeah, a Broncos win gives us homefield over NE no matter what. So the question is whether you prefer playing Houston in Houston IF (and only if) we both reach the AFCCG, or giving New England a week off to rest and heal before their first home playoff game. I strongly prefer the latter, especially since the only way seeding Houston and Denver #1 and #2 won't give us every game at home is if we both reach the AFCCG. Otherwise, seeding Denver either #1 OR 2 is exactly the same—except that the seeding us #1 gives the Cheatriots a free week for the 19 people on their injury report to become uninjured before playing us in the AFCCG, which they won't have to do until winning a divisional game at home instead of on the road.

Ya'll make it sound like Denver can't win a road game ANYWHERE; I can only hope that's not true: The Super Bowl is in New Orleans.... :tongue:

New Orleans is a home game for Peyton, so no problems there!

Crush05
12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
I am rooting on the Colts this weekend. As of right now if the Colts were not to win I believe we will see New England after our week off. To be honest since Shanahan has been gone New England has had our number. I prefer to be the #1 seed. Now if the Colts cannot get the job done this week....I will be looking for a ticket to go to the AFCC here in Houston as I will be there to watch our Broncos pound on them on the way to the SB.

NightTerror218
12-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Have Colts win. That means we couple play Pats in the AFC Championship game. If Houston wins. Pats will play us round 2 since we get the highest seed wildcard game and Houston gets lowest.

Joel
12-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I am rooting on the Colts this weekend. As of right now if the Colts were not to win I believe we will see New England after our week off. To be honest since Shanahan has been gone New England has had our number. I prefer to be the #1 seed. Now if the Colts cannot get the job done this week....I will be looking for a ticket to go to the AFCC here in Houston as I will be there to watch our Broncos pound on them on the way to the SB.
If you are THAT scared of NE, why would you want to give them an extra week off and a divisional home game? A Colts win doesn't help us against NE, it helps NE against pretty much EVERYONE. It might also help us against Houston, if we both get that far, but if you don't think we can beat NE in Mile High after we had a week off and they didn't, what makes you think we can do it after we BOTH had a bye and played a game?

I can understand wanting the Colts to win so we get the #1 seed, though I don't think it's worth all but assuring NE a first round bye that would otherwise be unattainable. It makes no sense in terms of beating NE though, because it doesn't help us at all, but helps them a great deal.

BroncoWave
12-28-2012, 07:20 PM
If you are THAT scared of NE, why would you want to give them an extra week off and a divisional home game? A Colts win doesn't help us against NE, it helps NE against pretty much EVERYONE. It might also help us against Houston, if we both get that far, but if you don't think we can beat NE in Mile High after we had a week off and they didn't, what makes you think we can do it after we BOTH had a bye and played a game?

I can understand wanting the Colts to win so we get the #1 seed, though I don't think it's worth all but assuring NE a first round bye that would otherwise be unattainable. It makes no sense in terms of beating NE though, because it doesn't help us at all, but helps them a great deal.

Your problem is that you are REALLY overrating the help the bye week will give New England. You've given no good reason as to how that would make our matchup against them in the AFCCG so much more difficult than if we were to play them in the divisional round.

NightTerror218
12-28-2012, 07:29 PM

if we are 1 and NE is 3 we wont play them until AFCCG.....that is 1 game later then playing them divisional round.

Crush05
12-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Ah so it begins, just get back to the boards and someone assumes. Never said I was afraid of New England. I honestly believe any given Sunday any team can win. With that being said I like our chances being the number one seed with home field throughout the playoffs That being said I know we can beat the Pats as we will not lose to the same team twice I feel. But also if we are the #2 seed I welcome that as I feel the AFCC game would be in Houston and since I moved here to Houston this year I would be at that game.

zbeg
12-28-2012, 07:36 PM
The way I see it, which is more likely to result in a Denver loss:

-Playing on the road against Houston
-Playing at home against New England

I think it's an easy #2. So anything that reduces the chances of Denver having to play New England at home is good IMO.

Yeah, HFA is nice but it doesn't matter if the Pats come in and beat us, and the weakness of Denver's defense is good tight end play. New England should have Gronkowski back for the playoffs and they have Hernandez. Yes, Denver absolutely can beat them, but the most likely scenario where the Broncos lose in the postseason is losing to the Patriots IMO.

Joel
12-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Your problem is that you are REALLY overrating the help the bye week will give New England. You've given no good reason as to how that would make our matchup against them in the AFCCG so much more difficult than if we were to play them in the divisional round.
I'll make this really simple, then explain the rationale: A Texans loss helps NE a lot, but CAN'T help us until the AFCCG.

It helps NE tons, because it all but guarantees them a bye, and they have 19 people on the injury report right now. The #3 seed means they either try to win without those players next week, or play them, deny them a chance to recover, and hope their injuries don't get WORSE.

It can't help US unless we play Houston in the AFCCG though. Neither of us can be the #4 seed, so if either of us is the #1 seed we won't meet until the AFCCG. If neither of us is the #1 seed:

1) We both win, and are seeded #1 and #2, 2) We win and they lose, so we're seeded #1 and they're seeded #2/3 or 3) we both lose and are seeded #2 and #3. That last is the ONLY way we can meet prior to the AFCCG—but Houston would STILL be tied and have the head-to-head, so we'd still play there, just one round sooner.

Unless the Cheatriots are SO much scarier than the Ravens that we'd rather play them or Cincy at home in the divisional round, a Texans loss doesn't help us until the AFCCG; it just gives NE a bye.

if we are 1 and NE is 3 we wont play them until AFCCG.....that is 1 game later then playing them divisional round.
If we are #1 NE will be #2, not #3, and we will play them after the divisional round, yes, but they'll get a bye and play the divisional round game at home first. We'll get a bye and be at home until the AFCCG either way unless we lose this week (in which case a Houston loss gives NE homefield throughout the playoffs.) I just don't want to give NE that same advantage, whether or not we get to play them at home in the AFCCG.

Ah so it begins, just get back to the boards and someone assumes. Never said I was afraid of New England. I honestly believe any given Sunday any team can win. With that being said I like our chances being the number one seed with home field throughout the playoffs That being said I know we can beat the Pats as we will not lose to the same team twice I feel. But also if we are the #2 seed I welcome that as I feel the AFCC game would be in Houston and since I moved here to Houston this year I would be at that game.
I don't think playing Houston there gives them a big advantage, though it would probably deny US one. Perhaps a bigger issue there would be the same as with NE: Houston's D is really beat up right now, as has been clear the past month or so, and a bye gives those players a week off to get healthier without the risk of losing a playoff game. In that respect, a Texans loss could help us (but, again, only in the AFCCG) because the Cheatriots D is garbage and the Texans' is brutal when their secondary is healthy, but it isn't right now and that's been their weak link since the team came into existence.

Any way we slice it though, the team to root for (other than Denver, obviously) isn't the Colts: It's the Dolphins, because if they win we're guaranteed a bye and homefield against anyone but Houston even if the Chefs pull of a miraculous upset, and NE is guaranteed to play their only game Wildcard Weekend. Of course, if the Texans lose and Cheatriots lose while the Broncos and Ravens win, we're the #1 seed and NE the #4, so we'd probably play them in the divisional round while the #2 seeded Texans hosted the #3 Ravens. I'd be fine with that, too, though, because NE still wouldn't get a week off to heal with no risk of losing.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Again, if Houston loses, the Broncos finish #1 seed, with a win over KC, and as long as they keep winning, they will have home games. That's all I care about.

MasterShake
12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I hope to beat New England in the Divisional round in front of a pumped up mile high crowd, then give Peyton and the Defense a climate controlled dome in which to tear Houston a new one. As long as we end up in New Orleans the teams in front of us are of no bother if our team is as good as it seems to be right now.

Joel
12-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Again, if Houston loses, the Broncos finish #1 seed, with a win over KC, and as long as they keep winning, they will have home games. That's all I care about.
As long as Denver wins we're at home until the AFCCG, and even then against anyone but Houston. The only difference a Houston win makes to US is that they (and ONLY they) would have homefield against us in the AFCCG (and ONLY the AFCCG.) It would be a tremendous break for NE though, because it would give them a week off to recover from injury, and they'd be at home in the divisional round. Of course, the same applies to Houston unless NE loses (unlikely,) so I guess the real question is: Would you rather give NE a bye and play them in Denver, or give Houston one and play them in Houston?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
As long as Denver wins we're at home until the AFCCG, and even then against anyone but Houston. The only difference a Houston win makes to US is that they (and ONLY they) would have homefield against us in the AFCCG (and ONLY the AFCCG.) It would be a tremendous break for NE though, because it would give them a week off to recover from injury, and they'd be at home in the divisional round. Of course, the same applies to Houston unless NE loses (unlikely,) so I guess the real question is: Would you rather give NE a bye and play them in Denver, or give Houston one and play them in Houston?

I would prefer playing in Denver, regardless of who it is against.

Joel
12-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Fair enough then. I don't think playing in Houston would hurt us, but playing in Denver would definitely help us; Houston teams suck in cold weather, and Mile High gives the Broncos a big conditioning edge.

zbeg
12-29-2012, 04:01 AM
This is why the Patriots scare me to death. Peyton's great, but we couldn't stop them the last time around - it was the defense that was the issue. That offense scares the everloving crap out of me.

I don't want them to have a bye. Would rather play Houston in Houston than give the Patriots any advantage. They are our obstacle to New Orleans, not the Texans. Sure it would be nice if the Texans and Patriots lost so we had the #1 seed and the Patriots didn't have a bye, but that seems pretty unlikely.

That offense is terrifying. Just terrifying.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323984704578205562415246392.html

Chef Zambini
12-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Fair enough then. I don't think playing in Houston would hurt us, but playing in Denver would definitely help us; Houston teams suck in cold weather, and Mile High gives the Broncos a big conditioning edge.along with a chance to AUDIBLE !
that really is the best advantage for PFM and our offense.
its no coincidance that stokely has his best games AWAY

Chef Zambini
12-29-2012, 11:28 AM
This is why the Patriots scare me to death. Peyton's great, but we couldn't stop them the last time around - it was the defense that was the issue. That offense scares the everloving crap out of me.

I don't want them to have a bye. Would rather play Houston in Houston than give the Patriots any advantage. They are our obstacle to New Orleans, not the Texans. Sure it would be nice if the Texans and Patriots lost so we had the #1 seed and the Patriots didn't have a bye, but that seems pretty unlikely.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323984704578205562415246392.htmlif I recall correctly we had issues stopping their run game, as if we did not anticipate/ prepare for it.
ALSO, that was a PORTER game, if I recall correctly,
now PORTER is no longer a component of our D.
we are a much different, far superior team that the one that traveled to foxborough early in the season.
I hope that helps you sleep better over the next few weeks.

SR
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
if I recall correctly we had issues stopping their run game, as if we did not anticipate/ prepare for it.
ALSO, that was a PORTER game, if I recall correctly,
now PORTER is no longer a component of our D.
we are a much different, far superior team that the one that traveled to foxborough early in the season.
I hope that helps you sleep better over the next few weeks.

Are you saying that Porter makes the defense worse?

Nomad
12-29-2012, 11:46 AM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323984704578205562415246392.html

This makes me want to see a BRONCOS/Patriots game even more.....I know be careful what you wish for. If the BRONCOS lose, they'll see where their weaknesses are and draft accordingly. I still think Denver's weakness against the Patriots other than covering the TEs is that elite big man in the middle of that dline to collapse the pocket. Brady always seems to have all day to throw.

Denver has gelled as a team as the season went on, so we'll see. This Chiefs game has me a little concerned....hopefully for nothing.

Chef Zambini
12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
are you using 50 pound test line on that reel?

Crush05
12-29-2012, 08:30 PM
are you using 50 pound test line on that reel?

:rofl: