PDA

View Full Version : Broncos coordinators Jack Del Rio, Mike McCoy could see job offers soon

Denver Native (Carol)
12-21-2012, 05:35 PM
There is plenty of football left to be played this season, but with every Denver victory, the Broncos' offensive and defensive coordinators — Mike McCoy and Jack Del Rio — are likely to get more consideration for an NFL head coaching job when the season is over.

Veteran cornerback Champ Bailey is hoping he doesn't have to add another name to his career list of defensive coordinators.

Asked if he may have set a record in that category, Bailey said, "I don't know, I've got to be up there. I don't know how many I've had. Twelve? Thirteen?"

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22235814/broncos-coordinators-jack-del-rio-mike-mccoy-could

underrated29
12-21-2012, 06:04 PM
I would give up our first round pick to keep del rio.

I hope the chargers or raiders sign mccoy

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Much as the Broncos would like to avoid distractions as they get ready for their playoff run, they're coming, anyway.

And they're coming soon, in the form of Black Monday.

All 32 NFL teams will play their final game of the 2012 season Sunday and by most accounts, anywhere from nine to 12 head coaches could fired next week. Many of those pink slips will be delivered Monday.

And once those head coaching vacancies become available, Broncos coordinators Mike McCoy and Jack Del Rio figure to be at the top of several candidates lists.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22280339/broncos-mccoy-del-rio-about-become-hot-coaching

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I could care less about McCoy leaving...in fact I will help him pack. But Del Rio on the other hand I wouldnt want to leave. I really hope Elway can work some magic here and keep this dude for a little while. I know it's selfish but I want to see Del Rio win a SB here before he leaves. He would be the most sought after coach on the market and probablly guarantee himself way more money. Really if it came down to it and we couldnt keep him I would just want him out of the AFCW.....I don't want to face his defenses.

However if he does leave and totally sucks while our defense is still elite then I will know it was 100% Fox and the talent we have on the field. <----I really believe Fox has a lot to do with our defense the past couple of years and not just Allen and Del Rio. But having Del Rio has seemed to give us an extra boost...into elite territory and that you can't really put a price on.

Magnificent Seven
12-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Mike McCoy, Jack Del Rio may leave Broncos

It’s a nicer problem than having to fire coaches, but the Broncos would prefer neither firing or losing their coaching staff to other teams. The latter could happen in 2013.

Coaches who think they’ll possibly be in line for one of the many looming coaching vacancies are commencing the process of lining up potential coaching staffs while preparing for the final game of the regular season. And that necessarily creates distractions for assistant coaches who are currently working for playoff teams, since they’ll be among the most desirable candidates for jobs.

For example, in Denver we’re told that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio are each getting their ducks in a row, in the event that they are asked to interview for jobs during the upcoming bye week (if, of course, the Broncos earn a bye).

Per PFT, Denver’s two coordinators, McCoy and Del Rio, are preparing for interviews expected to begin happening shortly. It’s no secret that McCoy and Del Rio are expected to be courted; both coaches deserve a lot of credit for Denver’s success dating back to last season.

Last year, McCoy talked to a handful of teams but opted to stay in Denver. The Broncos former defensive coordinator, Dennis Allen, landing a head coaching gig with the Raiders. This offseason, we wouldn’t be surprised to see McCoy take the jump and Del Rio stay for at least one more season.

McCoy has proved himself and if the Broncos win a Super Bowl, the only thing left for him to accomplish will be to run his own team. Del Rio has been there and done that (without much success) and teams may want to see a larger sample of his post-Jacksonville coaching career before seriously offering him another No. 1 coaching job.

Of course, if the Broncos do go all the way, McCoy and Del Rio may not want to leave. But everyone likes moving up in the world, and nobody can chide McCoy or Del Rio for testing the head coaching waters.

http://broncotalk.net/2012/12/43748/broncos-buzz/mike-mccoy-jack-del-rio-may-leave-broncos/

Pudge
12-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I think if del rio were to go to New York or Philly he could work some magic

SR
12-29-2012, 06:52 PM
I think if del rio were to go to New York or Philly he could work some magic

I think Del Rio needs to stay put.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't understand some of the hate on here towards McCoy. I think he is a very good offensive coordinator. If he does become a head coach, he definitely has impressed another team. As someone said in one of the game day threads, when a play goes well, it is all Manning, when a play goes bad, it is all McCoy, never considering that Manning can/does change any play he wants to.

MOtorboat
12-29-2012, 08:07 PM
I don't understand some of the hate on here towards McCoy. I think he is a very good offensive coordinator. If he does become a head coach, he definitely has impressed another team. As someone said in one of the game day threads, when a play goes well, it is all Manning, when a play goes bad, it is all McCoy, never considering that Manning can/does change any play he wants to.

My biggest frustration with Manning has been his propensity to, what appears to be, change from a pass to a draw on second down and long, with the defense showing blitz. From what I've seen he's done it quite often and it doesn't work very well most of the time.

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 08:11 PM

The frustration about McCoy started way before Manning ever came here. Every now and then McCoy will sprinkle in his typical McCoy type plays and anyone who has been following the Broncos for the past few years can tell when he mettles with the play calling. McCoy calls the play then Manning audibles out of the bad situation and that's where Manning shines. Tebow actually could have audibled out of many bad situations last year but he just went on ahead and and handed it off to Ball for a 1 yard run up the gut just as McCoy wanted 3xs in a row. I see nothing special about McCoy.....and Manning has masked his mistakes.....McCoy has no choice but to take a back seat now.

Typically in 3rd and short situations last year McCoy would just call a running play. With Manning I see way more passing plays on 3rd and very short and those end up being big plays because defenses are expecting the run.

MOtorboat
12-29-2012, 08:20 PM
The frustration about McCoy started way before Manning ever came here. Every now and then McCoy will sprinkle in his typical McCoy type plays and anyone who has been following the Broncos for the past few years can tell when he mettles with the play calling. McCoy calls the play then Manning audibles out of the bad situation and that's where Manning shines. Tebow actually could have audibled out of many bad situations last year but he just went on ahead and and handed it off to Ball for a 1 yard run up the gut just as McCoy wanted 3xs in a row. I see nothing special about McCoy.....and Manning has masked his mistakes.....McCoy has no choice but to take a back seat now.

Typically in 3rd and short situations last year McCoy would just call a running play. With Manning I see way more passing plays on 3rd and very short and those end up being big plays because defenses are expecting the run.

First of all, you can be more creative with a better quarterback, especially on third and short.

That said, I'd be interested to know if Manning is asking his offensive coordinator to give him two plays from the same formation and then Manning picks the play he wants at the line of scrimmage.

A lot of the plays that people complain about, mostly draws and screens, have, typically, in the past been Manning's choice when he was with the Colts. So I think it's hard to pin that on McCoy without knowing the exact dynamics.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I would be fine with both coordinators being back next year. For all the flak McCoy gets, he really isn't a bad coordinator. On that note, if one leaves, I'd much rather it be McCoy. I actually believe that McCoy is very likely to be offered a HC position. They were talking about it on Sirius the other day and McCoy was the first runner up for several of the positions that got filled last year. Word like that gets around and he'll be on the short list for teams looking for a HC this year. Rumor has it, he made a very good impression with several clubs.

SR
12-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I think people dislike McCoy just because they need someone to pin the bad things that happen on. Last year with Tebow was when the hate started because they wouldn't let Tebow run wild all game because they didn't want the score to get too lopsided too early in the game and not have a shot to win. McCoy too all of the heat for handcuffing Tebow by all the Tebois and it just filtered down to everyone else looking for someone to pin things on. McCoy is VERY well respected and highly regarded in NFL circles.

rationalfan
12-29-2012, 09:26 PM
McCoy adapts the offense to the players he has and directs squads with great success regardless of personnel or scheme. That is a good coach.

turftoad
12-29-2012, 09:29 PM
When you're good, teams look at your OC's and DC's. Happens all the time. It sucks but nothin we can do about it.

SR
12-29-2012, 09:32 PM
When you're good, teams look at your OC's and DC's. Happens all the time. It sucks but nothin we can do about it.

Yep. I hope for Champ's sake Del Rio sticks around though. Poor guy has gotten the shaft on consistency.

Denver has a lot of selling points for Del Rio to stay and go for a ring...nowhere in any of the teams likely to have head coach vacancies will you find players like Champ, Elvis, and Von. And on none of those teams will you find a QB like Peyton or as good of a chance to win a ring. IMO, Del Rio will win a Super Bowl title in 2-3 years max if he stays.

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 10:16 PM
First of all, you can be more creative with a better quarterback, especially on third and short.

That said, I'd be interested to know if Manning is asking his offensive coordinator to give him two plays from the same formation and then Manning picks the play he wants at the line of scrimmage.

A lot of the plays that people complain about, mostly draws and screens, have, typically, in the past been Manning's choice when he was with the Colts. So I think it's hard to pin that on McCoy without knowing the exact dynamics.

Yeah? No shit! lol

I think the 2nd point you made was probably more on point. I think McCoy will call in a play and Manning will veto the one he thinks is junk. You never know what kind of defense formation you will face until you get to the line. Manning always changes the play when he sees something he doesnt like.

But Mo, great OCs make even the most average QBs look great! Plummer was an average QB but Shanny made him much much better than what he was in Arizona. It happens all the time in the NFL....Harbaugh made Alex Smith look better. I never saw McCoy do that. His play calling was brutal to watch at times and it's not like this year he just had an epiphany and made the offense score an average of 30 points per game.....I credit Manning with mostly ALL of that. Great QBs make everyone look better...McCoy had his chance and it was nothing special and this year we see the huge differance.

MOtorboat
12-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah? No shit! lol

I think the 2nd point you made was probably more on point. I think McCoy will call in a play and Manning will veto the one he thinks is junk. You never know what kind of defense formation you will face until you get to the line. Manning always changes the play when he sees something he doesnt like.

But Mo, great OCs make even the most average QBs look great! Plummer was an average QB but Shanny made him much much better than what he was in Arizona. It happens all the time in the NFL....Harbaugh made Alex Smith look better. I never saw McCoy do that. His play calling was brutal to watch at times and it's not like this year he just had an epiphany and made the offense score an average of 30 points per game.....I credit Manning with mostly ALL of that. Great QBs make everyone look better...McCoy had his chance and it was nothing special and this year we see the huge differance.

McCoy won seven regular season games and a playoff game with a quarterback who had, historically, one of the worst statistical years ever.

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 10:43 PM
McCoy won seven regular season games and a playoff game with a quarterback who had, historically, one of the worst statistical years ever.

How was he doing pre-Tebow? I mean come on....he had a passing QB and his play calling was brutal to watch. Still had Decker, Thomas, Llyod too.

MOtorboat
12-29-2012, 10:45 PM
How was he doing pre-Tebow? I mean come on....he had a passing QB and his play calling was brutal to watch. Still had Decker, Thomas, Llyod too.

It was the same "play calling" we're seeing with Manning. It's just that Manning is completing the passes.

Trust me, McCoy wasn't the problem.

SR
12-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Are you really trying to make that argument? Lol

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Are you really trying to make that argument? Lol

Umm yeah...are you referring that McCoy is a good OC? Insert Manning and wow McCoy looks fantastic! lol

McCoy didnt make our offense better at all. What kind of coolaide have you guys been drinking tonight?

SR
12-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Umm yeah...are you referring that McCoy is a good OC? Insert Manning and wow McCoy looks fantastic! lol

McCoy didnt make our offense better at all. What kind of coolaide have you guys been drinking tonight?

McCoy is a good OC in the eyes of all of the talking heads on ESPN and NFLN. Who are you to say otherwise? Manning makes him look good, but Tebow sure as shit didn't do him any favors...

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 11:54 PM
It was the same "play calling" we're seeing with Manning. It's just that Manning is completing the passes.

Trust me, McCoy wasn't the problem.

Really? The same?? Have we seen 3 quarters of predictable runs up the middle or bubble screens? The play calling is alot differant. Everytime I turn on the news they say the Broncos look like the Colts offense, in fact I'm bored of hearing them say that. Why didnt we look like the Colts offense before Manning?

MOtorboat
12-29-2012, 11:54 PM
McCoy is a good OC in the eyes of all of the talking heads on ESPN and NFLN. Who are you to say otherwise? Manning makes him look good, but Tebow sure as shit didn't do him any favors...

McCoy completely changing the offense last year made the quarterback successful and put him in a position to win the games he did.

You can't deny that.

MOtorboat
12-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Really? The same?? Have we seen 3 quarters of predictable runs up the middle or bubble screens? The play calling is alot differant. Everytime I turn on the news they say the Broncos look like the Colts offense, in fact I'm bored of hearing them say that. Why didnt we look like the Colts offense before Manning?

That's a stupid question. And it has nothing to do with McCoy.

DenBronx
12-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Nor did Orton or Josh McDaniels.

By your logic no one has any cred to talk about football because the guys on NFLN are experts right? I'm just saying McCoy is overrated and I see nothing special in him as an OC.

Simple Jaded
12-29-2012, 11:59 PM
When we're talking about coordinating the likes of Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow you'd think people would a lot more forgiving.......

DenBronx
12-30-2012, 12:00 AM
That's a stupid question. And it has nothing to do with McCoy.

Oh ok....then Tebow could have stayed here and we would have averaged 30 points a game because McCoy finally would have got his act together.

Don't be pathetic.

DenBronx
12-30-2012, 12:01 AM
McCoy completely changing the offense last year made the quarterback successful and put him in a position to win the games he did.

You can't deny that.

Yeah right...had nothing to do with Fox. I forgot that part. :rolleyes:

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 03:51 AM
McCoy is a good OC in the eyes of all of the talking heads on ESPN and NFLN. Who are you to say otherwise? Manning makes him look good, but Tebow sure as shit didn't do him any favors...thats incorrect, sorry. people started PRAISING mccoy for chasnging the offense mid season to better suit the minute commodity that is tebows skill set.
Mccoy, his competense is much like xanders.
when things suck, there are others to blame. when its good, there are others more deserving of the credit.
I would not shed a tear if mccoy left, i dont think it would have ANY impact on PFM and our offense, but...
it would not surprise me if he did have success as a HC with the right organization.

BTW, shanny didnt make PLUMMER a better QB, that was all kubiak!
just ask plummer !

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 03:54 AM
the article that MAG 7 posted was far superior to the one that initiated this thread. sorry legwold, I expect better from you.

I really hope del rio stays!
but it sounds like he is making preperations for alternatives.
damn !

MOtorboat
12-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Oh ok....then Tebow could have stayed here and we would have averaged 30 points a game because McCoy finally would have got his act together.

Don't be pathetic.

Um, you missed my point altogether. We didn't look like the Colts offense last year BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE MANNING. Not because McCoy's play calling sucked.

If you haven't noticed, we still run a lot of draws and bubble screens. Those are the plays people complained the most about, and yet we still run them regularly. Nothing has changed play-calling wise. Denver just now has a hall of fame quarterback who is making everyone better, and that starts in executing those plays (which begins in practice).

Yes, players make a coach better, that's always how it works. But it doesn't mean McCoy was completely incompetent.

As to Fox, we know he has very little to do with offensive scheme and play calling. That's been well documented.

TXBRONC
12-30-2012, 09:31 AM
I would give up our first round pick to keep del rio.

I hope the chargers or raiders sign mccoy

I hope we get keep McCoy for another year.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Um, you missed my point altogether. We didn't look like the Colts offense last year BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE MANNING. Not because McCoy's play calling sucked.

If you haven't noticed, we still run a lot of draws and bubble screens. Those are the plays people complained the most about, and yet we still run them regularly. Nothing has changed play-calling wise. Denver just now has a hall of fame quarterback who is making everyone better, and that starts in executing those plays (which begins in practice).

Yes, players make a coach better, that's always how it works. But it doesn't mean McCoy was completely incompetent.

As to Fox, we know he has very little to do with offensive scheme and play calling. That's been well documented.

I agree completely. Manning does so much during the pre-snap read that few other QBs can do that makes those bubble screens and draws much more effective than they were last year.

CoachChaz
12-30-2012, 11:48 AM
I think the thing we have going for us in retaining coaches is that it seems like teams are leaning towards looking at college coaches as replacements.

Chef Zambini
12-30-2012, 03:23 PM
san diego appears to be a wide open opp for JDR.
reports are that he is formulating a list of staff members , preparing for a potential move
mfsoasts

LTC Pain
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
san diego appears to be a wide open opp for JDR.
reports are that he is formulating a list of staff members , preparing for a potential move
mfsoasts

Links to these "reports"???

MOtorboat
12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Links to these "reports"???

Don't get too excited. Zam made those "reports" up.

LTC Pain
12-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Don't get too excited. Zam made those "reports" up.

Yep, about like that "Porter has AIDS" crap he migrated from one thread to another then wouldn't take responsibility for it.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Hope McCoy leaves. Dont think hes very good at all. Hope Del Rio stays. Think hes awesome.

SR
12-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Yep, about like that "Porter has AIDS" crap he migrated from one thread to another then wouldn't take responsibility for it.

He blamed that on someone else too

DenBronx
12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Hope McCoy leaves. Dont think hes very good at all. Hope Del Rio stays. Think hes awesome.

Since were winning and Manning is a big part of that you will see alot of praise for McCoy. People forget just how mediocre this guy is. They will also say Fox had no part in our offense....I beg to differ....look what he immediately did with McGahee and our run game.

Bottom line is this. McCoy is replaceable but Del Rio isnt.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Since were winning and Manning is a big part of that you will see alot of praise for McCoy. People forget just how mediocre this guy is. They will also say Fox had no part in our offense....I beg to differ....look what he immediately did with McGahee and our run game.

Bottom line is this. McCoy is replaceable but Del Rio isnt.

McCoy tried to install his offense in the early part of the year by slowing things down and calling plays, and it lead to a 2-3 record, low scoring, and question marks all over the place. It wasn't until Manning went no huddle and started directing things his own way that Denver actually started moving the ball, and they haven't looked back since. The only credit I give McCoy in that regard is finally realizing what he is, staying out of Manning's way, and letting him direct the show.

I do think McCoy and Fox has done a good job implementing an offensive system with this group. I don't think McCoy has any place calling actual plays throughout the game. Who knows, maybe he would be better coach than an OC.

DenBronx
12-30-2012, 08:31 PM
McCoy tried to install his offense in the early part of the year by slowing things down and calling plays, and it lead to a 2-3 record, low scoring, and question marks all over the place. It wasn't until Manning went no huddle and started directing things his own way that Denver actually started moving the ball, and they haven't looked back since. The only credit I give McCoy in that regard is finally realizing what he is, staying out of Manning's way, and letting him direct the show.

I do think McCoy and Fox has done a good job implementing an offensive system with this group. I don't think McCoy has any place calling actual plays throughout the game. Who knows, maybe he would be better coach than an OC.

He just needs to stay out of Mannings way and we will be fine. He tried in the beggining of the year and we stalled...in comes Mannings fast paced offense and we are soaring.

MOtorboat
12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
He just needs to stay out of Mannings way and we will be fine. He tried in the beggining of the year and we stalled...in comes Mannings fast paced offense and we are soaring.

The no huddle led to three interceptions in the first quarter against Atlanta. That's the second game of the season.

:whoknows: