PDA

View Full Version : Marshall not guilty

BroncoTech
08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
this just in...
http://twitter.com/denverbroncos

The jury has declared Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall not guilty of misdemeanor battery charge.

claymore
08-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Hell yeah. Now trade him.

MOtorboat
08-14-2009, 03:07 PM

lol

And, wow...

BroncoWave
08-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes! Great news!

Ok JR, now can you quit busting his balls for at least 2 seconds?

T.K.O.
please be in a good mood today ROGER !.....please:D

MOtorboat
Yes! Great news!

That would mean he is going to not have contact with the police for more than 2 seconds...

BroncoWave
08-14-2009, 03:09 PM

Doesn't matter what mood he's in, they found him not guilty. According to the NFL, the only way he was getting suspended again was in the case of a guilty verdict.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 03:09 PM

to philly for vick ?
hey life is about 2nd chances......and sometimes 3rd,4th and 5th...

claymore
08-14-2009, 03:10 PM

If he punishes Marshall for not being guilty, that has to be a violation of his rights.

MOtorboat
If he punishes Marshall for not being guilty, that has to be a violation of his rights.

lol

But, no...

Mephisto
That would mean he is going to not have contact with the police for more than 2 seconds...

Now please try not to get arrested on your way out of the courtroom.

OldschoolFreak
Now get him back on the damn practice field ASAP.

broncofaninfla
08-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Glad that's behind him. Now he gets to get healthy and back on the field to prove whether or not he is worth the big money he wants.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Doesn't matter what mood he's in, they found him not guilty. According to the NFL, the only way he was getting suspended again was in the case of a guilty verdict.

from what i read in the nfl cba it CLEARLY states that nfl players will be held to a MUCH higher standard . and being found innocent of a crime does not mean that the nfl will not take action.
it says that any behavior deemed detrimental to the league by any player coach or employee will be assesed by the commish.
however in light of the fact that brandon already paid once for this incident i doubt there will be further punishment fron the league,unless details came out in the trial that goodell feels brandon may have lied about .
i think were ok....now brandon ....no MORE shiz:tsk:

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm taking bets on his next brush with the law. I'll start the over/under at 4 months.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Glad that's behind him. Now he gets to get healthy and back on the field to prove whether or not he is worth the big money he wants.

uh oh....now teams are gonna line up to steal him away.....hope he learned that he has it pretty sweet on the outside !

NorthernLights
Congrats Bronco fans. Let's hope this young man has turned the corner and will continue to play at a very high level.

Can't wait for the season to begin. Take care.

OldschoolFreak
I'm taking bets on his next brush with the law. I'll start the over/under at 4 months.

Common people, enough with the negative attitude. How about an over/under on catches this season at 100. Even if we trade him it's in everybody's best interest if he has a good year to maximize his value on the open market.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
ATLANTA - An Atlanta jury has acquited Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall in his misdemeanor battery trial.
The six-person jury - four women and two men - found that Marshall is not guilty of hitting his former girlfriend Rasheedah Watley on March 4, 2008.

Marshall's defense lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, argued that it was Watley who was the aggressor in that fight, and she had been "volatile" throughout their relationship. Steinberg told the jurors that they should have plenty of doubt as to what really occurred that night at the condo Marshall owned in downtown Atlanta, and asked them to question Watley's motives in pursuing charges.

"She needs Mr. Marshall. She needs him in her life because she had these dreams and cannot let go," Steinberg said in his closing argument. "When is she going to leave him alone?"

An attorney from the Fulton County solicitor general's office argued in her closing statement that the state had presented sufficient evidence to prove that Marshall had injured Watley by hitting her in the mouth and grabbing her neck. The prosecution argued that the March 2008 incident was the last of at least seven violent incidents.

"She suffers from battered women's syndrome," said Jamie Mack, senior assistant solicitor. "Let's not leave here today sending the message of blaming the victim."

The second day of Marshall's trial began this morning with approximately 60 minutes of testimony from Marshall's former girlfriend Watley, who claimed that Marshall hit her on March 4, 2008 at the Atlanta condo the couple shared.

During Watley's testimony, the prosecution entered seven photos of evidence. Five of the pictures showed Watley's face and neck on March 5, the morning after her fight with Marshall. The other two were from prior altercations in 2007.

The jury also heard 25 minutes of testimony from Amanda Planchard, the director of victim assistance for the Fulton County solicitor general's office. Planchard testified about domestic violence issues in general and described what she called, "the cycle of violence."

The defense then called three witnesses: a Denver police officer who was at Denver International Airport in 2007 and witnessed Watley and Marshall in a verbal altercation; an Atlanta psychiatrist who met with Marshall individually and then with the couple together in February 2008; and a Fulton County deputy who saw Watley on March 5, 2008 when Watley came to the courthouse to try to get a temporary restraining order.

The defense rested its case just before noon local time, and the prosecution called one final rebuttal witness, the solicitor general's office employee who took the photographs of Watley's injuries.

Italianmobstr7
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Time to lock him up as a Bronco long term!

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Common people, enough with the negative attitude. How about an over/under on catches this season at 100. Even if we trade him it's in everybody's best interest if he has a good year to maximize his value on the open market.

When his 100+ reception seasons are at least equivalent to his court appearances, I'll consider it

topscribe
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Might as well. Couldn't lock him up anywhere else. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/heh.gif

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 03:28 PM

This may have been what Bowlen was waiting for - time will tell

TXBRONC
08-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes! Great news!

I don't think that will happen.

BroncoWave
08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
from what i read in the nfl cba it CLEARLY states that nfl players will be held to a MUCH higher standard . and being found innocent of a crime does not mean that the nfl will not take action.
it says that any behavior deemed detrimental to the league by any player coach or employee will be assesed by the commish.
however in light of the fact that brandon already paid once for this incident i doubt there will be further punishment fron the league,unless details came out in the trial that goodell feels brandon may have lied about .

He's already been suspended for the arrest!

There was a direct quote from the NFL saying that only a conviction would trigger further suspension.

We have nothing to worry about for now.

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Call me crazy, but I want to see what's up with his leg injury before signing any long-term contracts.

But past that, yes, let's give him his money with some character clauses in the contract.

I'm so glad that this turned out this way. You just never know what a jury is going to do.

Dreadnought
08-14-2009, 03:42 PM

I'll take the under, please...

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I'll take the under, please...

Meh, he'll be good during the season. That line is too short. Should be more like 7 months.

topscribe
08-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Can I get higher odds for 30 days? :coffee:

-----

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 03:47 PM
He's already been suspended for the arrest!

There was a direct quote from the NFL saying that only a conviction would trigger further suspension.

We have nothing to worry about for now.

yeah that is what i said in the post you quoted, i was merely stating that the cba allows for much discretion on the league to punish incidents regardless of legal outcomes.
and i agree we should see no further punishment,but there is always a chance goodell gets out of bed on the wrong side and .....
anyway i was unaware that it had been promised no further action would be taken if he was found not guilty.
i had only heard that the issue would be revisited once the trial was complete
its all good though i want his bad self out on the field every down....we're gonna need all the help we can get.
and if they dbl team bm,royal stokes and gaffney are gonna have a great time in mcD's search and destroy offense !:beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I can't help but believe that even though Brandon has to be totally relieved that he was found not guilty in a court by 6 jurors, he also has to be wondering when the next person might try to lower the boom on him.

Northman
08-14-2009, 03:52 PM

I doubt with him being cleared that Goodell will suspend him.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I can't help but believe that even though Brandon has to be totally relieved that he was found not guilty in a court by 6 jurors, he also has to be wondering when the next person might try to lower the boom on him.

he needs to hook up with a girl from denver and quit messin with that southern trash ( no offense anyone from the south it was a joke ....i like southern trash )

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I doubt with him being cleared that Goodell will suspend him.

word on the street is ....he's in the clear !:beer:

topscribe
08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-trial-update-victory-ride-for-harvey/

------

Tned
08-14-2009, 03:59 PM

Correct, being found innocent does not prevent a punishment. However, I was under the impression that the suspension he served at the start of last season was for these incidents with Watley, so I would be surprised if he was suspended after being found not-guilty.

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 03:59 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-trial-update-victory-ride-for-harvey/

------

Interesting. . .was McD just holding him out until the trial was over and we knew the outcome? Enquiring minds want to know. . .

Overtime
08-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Congrats Bronco fans. Let's hope this young man has turned the corner and will continue to play at a very high level.

Can't wait for the season to begin. Take care.

highly doubtful NorthernLights...Marshall can't stay out of trouble. It's evident in the fact that after he served his suspension last year and then got into trouble again, but thankfully has been exonerated, he can't.

he's a drama queen, and even though he was found guilty, he gets his rocks off on beating women.

hopefully he'll find a girl who has a really big, older brother, and he'll hit her, and then the big brother will jack him all up.

Broncos should off load this idiot before anything else happens.

he'd fit in good in Philly, right alongside his best buddy Michael Vick.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Marshall Trial Update: Victory ride for Harvey?
by Mike Klis on August 14, 2009

Really, Bronco fans should lift attorney Harvey Steinberg on their shoulders and give him a victory ride. The guy just wont let Bronco players down. Seven pictures of Rasheedhah Watley injuries following incidents with Marshall; less than an hour for a four women-two men jury determined Marshall was not guilty on two counts of simple battery.

During her closing argument, prosecutor referred to Steinberg as an octopus: “”He flees and leaves a trail of ink behind him.” Yes, well, Steinberg just won a road game.

So now Brandon Marshall is a Broncos receiver, free and clear. And according to an NFL source: Marshall’s hip is healthy. He is expected to return to the practice field this week. The Broncos’ next practice, the first after their preseason game tonight at San Francisco, is Sunday.

Share on Facebook

Northman
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Steinberg is an octopus. lmao

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Steinberg is an octopus. lmao

Lawyers like to be called Sharks. . .that was a really low-blow from the Prosecution. :laugh:

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Interesting. . .was McD just holding him out until the trial was over and we knew the outcome? Enquiring minds want to know. . .

well the mysterious leg injury could be a couple things.
i think it will be very telling if marshall does'nt show up for sunday practice.
that would basically be a fresh slap in the face to the f.o.
and grounds for immediate trade talks.
on the other hand if i were brandon i would charter a jet to sfo right now and show the world how dedicated he is and be on the sidelines to support his team tonight !!!!!!!!!!:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Correct, being found innocent does not prevent a punishment. However, I was under the impression that the suspension he served at the start of last season was for these incidents with Watley, so I would be surprised if he was suspended after being found not-guilty.

That's the way I remember it also, but now that he has been found not guilty, it appears that Goodell's reaction at the time in this was - GUILTY. The more I think about this, it was totally wrong for Goodell to suspend Brandon based on charges only, which, based on the outcome of the trial now become - FALSE CHARGES. Goodell should not have done anything at the time he did.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Lawyers like to be called Sharks. . .that was a really low-blow from the Prosecution. :laugh:

at least they didnt call him an "octopussy".......bond ....james bond

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
That's the way I remember it also, but now that he has been found not guilty, it appears that Goodell's reaction at the time in this was - GUILTY. The more I think about this, it was totally wrong for Goodell to suspend Brandon based on charges only, which, based on the outcome of the trial now become - FALSE CHARGES. Goodell should not have done anything at the time he did.

maybe brandon can get his gamecheck back ?
that would be fair and it would help with the legal bills he will have to pay because there is no way he can sue whateley for it.....she lost her sugardaddy

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811e4b70&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ATLANTA -- A jury in Atlanta has found Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall not guilty of misdemeanor battery.

The jury deliberated for about an hour before reaching the verdict on two counts of simple battery.

The case stemmed from a March 2008 argument with then-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley at Marshall's downtown Atlanta condominium.

Marshall was suspended for last year's season opener after a series of domestic disputes. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had said a conviction in the Atlanta case could have led to a second suspension.

frauschieze
08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
well the mysterious leg injury could be a couple things.
i think it will be very telling if marshall does'nt show up for sunday practice.
that would basically be a fresh slap in the face to the f.o.
and grounds for immediate trade talks.
on the other hand if i were brandon i would charter a jet to sfo right now and show the world how dedicated he is and be on the sidelines to support his team tonight !!!!!!!!!!:salute:

If he did this, he'd start to earn back some of the respect of the fans that he's lost over the past 6 months in addition to showing his teammates his support.

I am not, however, holding my breath.

pnbronco
08-14-2009, 04:32 PM
I hope that him sitting in that court room having to listen to everything said is a major wake up call for Brandon and he has hit rock bottom. He can have a great life from now on if he just holds himself accountable for his actions. He needs to continue his therapy and anger management.

As far as him being ready to practice again. I really hope the hip is ready, it still has not been 6 months from the time of his surgery. I want to see a healthy Brandon on that field, both body and mind.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I hope that him sitting in that court room having to listen to everything said is a major wake up call for Brandon and he has hit rock bottom. He can have a great life from now on if he just holds himself accountable for his actions. He needs to continue his therapy and anger management.

As far as him being ready to practice again. I really hope the hip is ready, it still has not been 6 months from the time of his surgery. I want to see a healthy Brandon on that field, both body and mind.

I also hope we hear no more associated with Brandon off field; however there is no way to predict that Brandon will not be faced with something like this again. He was sitting in a court room, on trial, for what was determined by a 6 person jury to be false charges. If someone wants to do that to him again, there is no way he can control that, or moreso, avoid that.

dogfish
08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
If he did this, he'd start to earn back some of the respect of the fans that he's lost over the past 6 months in addition to showing his teammates his support.

I am not, however, holding my breath.

enh. . . i'd rather see him light up antonio cromartie for another eighteen catches the next time we play the sparklers. . .

TXBRONC
08-14-2009, 05:33 PM

I hope so.

dogfish
08-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I also hope we hear no more associated with Brandon off field; however there is no way to predict that Brandon will not be faced with something like this again. He was sitting in a court room, on trial, for what was determined by a 6 person jury to be false charges. If someone wants to do that to him again, there is no way he can control that, or moreso, avoid that.

then he needs to start by controlling things that he CAN control. . . like not getting any more DUIs-- and not putting himself in bad situations, like having a screaming match with his fiance on a public street, etc etc. . . . just because he was acquitted of these particular charges doesn't mean that nothing happened-- it only means that there wasn't enough evidence to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt. . .

MOtorboat
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
then he needs to start by controlling things that he CAN control. . . like not getting any more DUIs-- and not putting himself in bad situations, like having a screaming match with his fiance on a public street, etc etc. . . . just because he was acquitted of these particular charges doesn't mean that nothing happened-- it only means that there wasn't enough evidence to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt. . .

I guarantee that he would not have been arrested in Atlanta had he a.) not been on a corner at 3 a.m., and b.) not been yelling at his girlfriend.

Simple logic...

EMB6903
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
This may have been what Bowlen was waiting for - time will tell

I assume the contract talks will start very soon.

I would be surprised if we dont give him an extension by the end of the season.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM

I did not mean to come across that Brandon has been totally without blame in all of the off field stuff. and yes, I agree that he does need to start controlling the things he can control. My post was in reference to today's trial only.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=121344&catid=339

Marshall said after the verdict in Fulton County State Court that he had some butterflies in his stomach when deliberations began, but was confident in the work of his lawyers.

"I'm just happy now that legally and emotionally we can move past this," he said, adding that he appreciated the support of teammates and fans. He said he planned to celebrate Friday night by watching his teammates in an offseason game against the San Francisco 49ers.

pnbronco
08-14-2009, 08:27 PM

I know that this is a football / Marshall topic, but when Sakic retired they gave a bunch of different stas on his playing. The only stat I remembered is "The number of times he got in trouble...0 (in 20 years).

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=121344&catid=339

Marshall said after the verdict in Fulton County State Court that he had some butterflies in his stomach when deliberations began, but was confident in the work of his lawyers.

"I'm just happy now that legally and emotionally we can move past this," he said, adding that he appreciated the support of teammates and fans. He said he planned to celebrate Friday night by watching his teammates in an offseason game against the San Francisco 49ers.

just dont celebrate too hard brandon !

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 11:13 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-speaks-about-court-victory/

Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall spoke for a couple of minutes outside the courtroom Friday afternoon after an Atlanta jury found him not guilty on two misdemeanor battery charges.

“It’s been almost over a year and a half and I’m just happy that now, legally and emotionally we can move forward and hopefully get past thing,” Marshall said. “For me, I’m excited about the opportunity just to start over. It’s a new life almost.”

Marshall said he will be returning to Denver soon and that physically he is feeling good. He has not practiced since Aug. 2.

Marshall said he has received plenty of support throughout the trial from his Bronco teammates, including receiving a phone call from Elvis Dumervil at 3 a.m. EST Friday. Dumervil was three hours behind in California where the Broncos play San Francisco at 8 p.m. MST tonight.

“I told him to get some sleep, we need a sack out of him,” Marshall said. “It’s been a blessing to have my teammates and the organization standing behind me through all of this and I’m just excited we can move forward.”