MOtorboat
12-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOG3eus4ZSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPBEAtLIQz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r-V0uK4u0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvea8n0XO5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aeETEoNfOg

Not to mention, Zero, Galapagos, Love, Porcelina of the Oceans Blue, Thirty Three, In the Arms of Sleep, Stumbeline, We Only Come Out at Night and many others.

A grunge/prog rock-esque masterpiece.

shank
12-19-2012, 01:15 AM
what are you getting at?

MOtorboat
12-19-2012, 01:16 AM
what are you getting at?

I think it was quite obvious.

shank
12-19-2012, 01:26 AM
oh, ok then.

http://i.imgur.com/eezCO.gif

Northman
12-19-2012, 06:31 AM
No.....

MileHighCrew
12-19-2012, 07:43 AM
such a hard thing to talk about. I don't think that is the best album of that generation nevermind ever, not in my top 10 for grunge era albums. Maybe not even the Smashing Pumpkins best album as Gish was awesome.

chazoe60
12-19-2012, 07:46 AM
And you call me a musical baboon? :laugh:

MOtorboat
12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
And you call me a musical baboon? :laugh:

You are.

Army Bronco
12-19-2012, 10:04 AM
I could never say there has ever been a best album but there have been several i loved in my lifetime like:
Cradle of filth: Cruelty of the Beast and Vempire.
Amorphis: Tales of a Thousand Lakes.
Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power.
Metallica: Kill em all.
Megadeth: Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction.
.....i could prob name a bunch more.

CoachChaz
12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
I could never say there has ever been a best album but there have been several i loved in my lifetime like:
Cradle of filth: Cruelty of the Beast and Vempire.
Amorphis: Tales of a Thousand Lakes.
Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power.
Metallica: Kill em all.
Megadeth: Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction.
.....i could prob name a bunch more.

Take the Cradle of Crap record off that list and I can support it. Although I'd swap Vulgar Display with Far Beyond Driven

Northman
12-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Lmao. Cradle of crap. But no, I enjoy those albums army so no sweat.

If we are talking strictly with SP's than I have to agree with mhc. For me its Siamese dream and gish over Mellon collie quite easily.

weazel
12-19-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAPXRN556Ok

MasterShake
12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Just noticed this thread as I started playing the Mellon Collie Re-issue that just came out. That set is epic. Four Discs and 92 songs including alternate mixes by Flood (one of the best producers in the 90's) and never released demos and songs. The Smashing Pumpkins are easily one of my favorite bands, and Mellon Collie is their best effort overall. They stumbled a bit with Zeitgeist in 2007, but their last album Oceania made it to the Rolling Stones top 50 of the year and is in my top 3 for sure.

Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, The Downward Spiral by NIN, Stone Temple Pilots Purple, etc. all hit when I was in high school so that automatically puts them in my all time favorites. I really think the music that defines those days is more or less the style you stick with the rest of your life. I am constantly seeking out new music that is similar which is tough, but Silversun Pickups and Arcade Fire are pretty close. I always go back to those albums without getting sick of them though.

MasterShake
12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAPXRN556Ok

Never really got into Pearl Jam for whatever reason, but Vitalogy is my favorite albums of theirs.

CoachChaz
12-19-2012, 03:08 PM
I can pretty much enjoy anything Pearl Jam has done.

CoachChaz
12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I guess all records are going to be in the ear of the beholder.

Reign in Blood - Slayer

BroncoJoe
12-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Reign in Blood - Slayer

Kind of like religion... personal choice and none are right, none are wrong.

Thnikkaman
12-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I can enjoy some of Pearl Jam's music, but it's so monotonous for me.

MasterShake
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Reign in Blood - Slayer

No kidding. One of my other favorite bands was Oasis and I don't think most Americans know they kept making albums after 1998. I guess I pretty much like most 90's alternative stuff, 80's music, and some of the new independent rock whose names I would list but won't because you probably never heard of them. Other than that I like certain songs across most genres. The only thing I refuse to listen to is new country. I grew up listening to Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash with my dad and I kind of draw the line there.

gnomeflinger
12-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Pink Floyd - The Wall

Northman
12-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Kind of like religion... personal choice and none are right, none are wrong.

Well, im always right so i dont know what your talking about. :cool::D

Northman
12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
No kidding. One of my other favorite bands was Oasis and I don't think most Americans know they kept making albums after 1998. I guess I pretty much like most 90's alternative stuff, 80's music, and some of the new independent rock whose names I would list but won't because you probably never heard of them. Other than that I like certain songs across most genres. The only thing I refuse to listen to is new country. I grew up listening to Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash with my dad and I kind of draw the line there.

Never cared for Oasis for the most part outside of Champagne Supernova.

However, if you like that style and have not heard them yet check out While Lies, Junius, and One Night Only.

CoachChaz
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Amen. There are a few new country acts I like, but that list is getting shorter and shorter. I typically stick to the local Texas Country/Red Dirt scene for that genre.

Northman
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Just noticed this thread as I started playing the Mellon Collie Re-issue that just came out. That set is epic. Four Discs and 92 songs including alternate mixes by Flood (one of the best producers in the 90's) and never released demos and songs. The Smashing Pumpkins are easily one of my favorite bands, and Mellon Collie is their best effort overall. They stumbled a bit with Zeitgeist in 2007, but their last album Oceania made it to the Rolling Stones top 50 of the year and is in my top 3 for sure.

Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, The Downward Spiral by NIN, Stone Temple Pilots Purple, etc. all hit when I was in high school so that automatically puts them in my all time favorites. I really think the music that defines those days is more or less the style you stick with the rest of your life. I am constantly seeking out new music that is similar which is tough, but Silversun Pickups and Arcade Fire are pretty close. I always go back to those albums without getting sick of them though.

I still enjoy Pretty Hate Machine the best by NIN.

CoachChaz
12-19-2012, 05:27 PM
I still enjoy Pretty Hate Machine the best by NIN.

I think that might be the ONLY NIN record I ever liked

Northman
12-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Im probably pretty close. Outside of a few tracks on "Spiral" i never got into his later stuff which i felt never measured up.

CoachChaz
12-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Im probably pretty close. Outside of a few tracks on "Spiral" i never got into his later stuff which i felt never measured up.

I agree. I just typically stuck with Ministry, Zombie and Fear Factory for my variations of techno-metal

CoachChaz
12-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Speaking of good songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323Woe62wp0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejb9MLlvbeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yEz6zfdBg

weazel
12-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I thought the thread title said "greatest albumS ever made". Didnt know it was just one, I couldnt possibly narrow it down, too many good ones.

BroncoJoe
12-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I too have many favorites, but if I had to choose one, it would be Rumors by Fleetwood Mac.

Thnikkaman
12-19-2012, 07:20 PM
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

chazoe60
12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Flogging Molly- Swagger
Murder By Death-Good Morning, Magpie
Johnny Cash- Live at Folsom Prison (kinda cheating because it's like a greatest hits album)
Social Distortion-Social Distortion
The Pogues- Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

Army Bronco
12-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Reign in Blood - Slayer Reign in Blood...from a lacerated sky......Awesome. I saw them in Austin and they were LOUD!!!!! Great show. Ima go a little rare and say i also loved anything Anthrax pre John Bush era though i saw them live at Fort Hood in 02 with Bush.

Army Bronco
12-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Flogging Molly- Swagger
Johnny Cash- Live at Folsom Prison (kinda cheating because it's like a greatest hits album)
The Pogues- Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.Cash is cool too but they played ring of fire over and over again in my office when i worked at the US Embassy in Colombia.

MOtorboat
12-19-2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_UdidOM4yQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wboMEHnHKU

Stripped down.

Brilliant songwriting.

Army Bronco
12-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Oh..and really enjoyed Misfits American Psycho! I saw them play in Puerto Rico. one of the best shows i have ever seen. Yeah, i went to alot of shows before i was married. Now im whipped. One band that kept me going through combat in Iraq was Killswitch Engage. Loved the song Rose of Sharyn.

tomjonesrocks
12-19-2012, 11:59 PM

Wow. I really liked Year Zero.

tomjonesrocks
12-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Flogging Molly- Swagger
The Pogues- Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

I don't even know where I would start for my favorite all time records but that Pogues album would indeed be on it somewhere.

Not on that album, but love hearing Fairytale of New York this time of year.

My Bloody Valentine's Loveless comes to mind as a fave in the Smashing Pumpkins timeframe. And I definitely prefer Siamese to Mellon Collie.

And Oceania is OK but without Chamberlain on it I can't really get into it. Still the best album of theirs since Machina, which isn't saying much.

Army Bronco
12-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Iced Earth- Dark Saga, Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Inflames- pretty much any album.
Children of Bodom- Hatebreeder.

shank
12-20-2012, 03:08 AM
fugazi - end hits

Northman
12-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Just way too many to list unfortuantely but here are a few that i really enjoy and think are perfect and non metal related.

311- Transistor
Pearl Jam- Ten
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Smashing Pumpkins- Gish
Nirvana- Nevermind
Soundgarden- Superunknown
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Ratt- Out of the Cellar
Ratt- Invasion of Your Privacy
Siagon Kick- The Lizard
Van Halen- 1984
Queensryche- Rage for Order
Queesnryche- Operation Mindcrime
Def Leppard- Hysteria
Def Leppard- Pyromania
Snoop Doggy Dogg- Doggystyle
PM Dawn- The Bliss Album
Telesma- O(H)M
Telesma- Action in Inaction
One Night Only- One Night Only
Snake River Conspiracy- Sonic Jihad
Beck- Mellow Gold
Stryper- Soldiers Under Command
Stryper- To Hell with the Devil
Ugly Kid Joe- America's Least Wanted
The Crow- OST
Alice in Chains- Facelift
Alice in Chains- Dirt
Alice in Chains- Sap

As i said, the list could go on but those are a few i can listen all the way through without skipping.

Canmore
12-20-2012, 06:28 AM
I too have many favorites, but if I had to choose one, it would be Rumors by Fleetwood Mac.

Excellent choice.

chazoe60
12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Oh..and really enjoyed Misfits American Psycho! I saw them play in Puerto Rico. one of the best shows i have ever seen. Yeah, i went to alot of shows before i was married. Now im whipped. One band that kept me going through combat in Iraq was Killswitch Engage. Loved the song Rose of Sharyn.

That's the Misfits album without Danzig, right?

Army Bronco
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM

That's the Misfits album without Danzig, right? Yup, one of them. I like stuff with Glen Danzig too but I just think the guitar is much clearer and heavier in this album.

Army Bronco
12-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Just way too many to list unfortuantely but here are a few that i really enjoy and think are perfect and non metal related.

311- Transistor
Pearl Jam- Ten
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Smashing Pumpkins- Gish
Nirvana- Nevermind
Soundgarden- Superunknown
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Ratt- Out of the Cellar
Ratt- Invasion of Your Privacy
Siagon Kick- The Lizard
Van Halen- 1984
Queensryche- Rage for Order
Queesnryche- Operation Mindcrime
Def Leppard- Hysteria
Def Leppard- Pyromania
Snoop Doggy Dogg- Doggystyle
PM Dawn- The Bliss Album
Telesma- O(H)M
Telesma- Action in Inaction
One Night Only- One Night Only
Snake River Conspiracy- Sonic Jihad
Beck- Mellow Gold
Stryper- Soldiers Under Command
Stryper- To Hell with the Devil
Ugly Kid Joe- America's Least Wanted
The Crow- OST
Alice in Chains- Facelift
Alice in Chains- Dirt
Alice in Chains- Sap

As i said, the list could go on but those are a few i can listen all the way through without skipping.lmao i cant believe you threw in Stryper....But i have to agree.

Thnikkaman
12-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Deltron 3030
Nas - Illmatic
Elzhi - Elmatic
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol 1
De La Soul - Stakes Is High
Wu Tang - 36 Chambers

MasterShake
12-20-2012, 10:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_UdidOM4yQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wboMEHnHKU

Stripped down.

Brilliant songwriting.

Love the songwriting, but the layering on Mellon Collie of the music is what makes it so great. There are two tracks on the re-issue that showcase this. There is a stripped down version of Zero that is synth-only and a great Strings Only version of Tonight Tonight:

_gTet90E8Xc

Even it that simple musical arrangement, you can tell its going to be a good song. Then he added a great drum track care of Jimmy Chamberlain (still unmatched among drummers IMO) and the wall of guitars and bass with the vocals. If anyone has seen the Pumpkins live, its also hard to argue against Corgan being one of the premier guitar players around. Check out Gossamar for one of the best 30 minutes I ever had at a concert. This was during the Fillmore residency in San Francisco. I was at one of the shows, but not this particular one:

JVn-_nWUkbY

CoachChaz
12-20-2012, 10:27 AM

God bless you for adding Iced Earth. (the Matt Barlow years)

weazel
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
hmm, no Led Zeppelin IV ??

Slick
12-20-2012, 11:44 AM
I can listen to the last three Tool Albums without skipping a song. Same with the three Alice in Chains albums that North posted.

CoachChaz
12-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Tool is one of those bands that I loiterally get a headache listening to. Just cant really stand their stuff. Added to the fact that Maynard Keenan is a complete douche bag.

Army Bronco
12-21-2012, 02:04 AM

God bless you for adding Iced Earth. (the Matt Barlow years) I was hooked when I heard Matt on the Purgatory album. My pre Army years band played Melancholy Holy Martyr as a cover.

Northman
12-21-2012, 06:07 AM
I can listen to the last three Tool Albums without skipping a song. Same with the three Alice in Chains albums that North posted.

The Wire, very nice. \m/

Northman
12-21-2012, 06:07 AM
When it comes to IE i actually enjoyed Ripper's vocals more albeit for a short time.

weazel
12-21-2012, 12:01 PM

high fived for your post and your avatar

Slick
12-21-2012, 12:34 PM
high fived for your post and your avatar

BDB and NTL were/are fans of that show too if I remember correctly. Loved his character, made the show for me. I was feeling nostalgic yesterday and changed my avatar.

CoachChaz
12-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I was hooked when I heard Matt on the Purgatory album. My pre Army years band played Melancholy Holy Martyr as a cover.

Best IE song ever. What do you think about Stu Block? I like the new stuff, but when they do the old stuff live...he just isnt the same as Matt

Army Bronco
12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
I havent heard the new stuff yet. I am so out of the loop now.
North: i did like Ripper Owens for the Glorious Burden .

CoachChaz
12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Gotta be something with Ripper Owens. Seems to get kicked out of every band he joins. I did like the Gloriuous Burden and Gettysburg stuff he did with Iced Earth...but not much else

CoachChaz
12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
I havent heard the new stuff yet. I am so out of the loop now.
North: i did like Ripper Owens for the Glorious Burden .

New one is actually one of their best.

Northman
12-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Gotta be something with Ripper Owens. Seems to get kicked out of every band he joins. I did like the Gloriuous Burden and Gettysburg stuff he did with Iced Earth...but not much else

Did he get kicked out of IE or was it just a temporary gig? I always thought he was just there for an album or so.

Army Bronco
12-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Gotta be something with Ripper Owens. Seems to get kicked out of every band he joins. I did like the Gloriuous Burden and Gettysburg stuff he did with Iced Earth...but not much else I think its that he joins groups that were famous with another front man and then that singer wants to rejoin. Cant blame Priest for wanting Rob back nor IE for taking Matt back.

Jsteve01
12-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Ok ill bite.

Dagon: Terraphobic

Extol: Undeceived

Opeth: deliverance/damnation

Jsteve01
12-22-2012, 02:27 AM
And if you force my hand and ask best grunge/ hard rock it would be 10 or temple of the dog

aberdien
12-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Top 3 are set in stone...the others are all excellent and have potential to become God tier, but they have not earned such a title yet.

God tier:
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
MIA - Kala

Demi-god tier:
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Neil Young - On the Beach
Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret
Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
Sigur Rós – Takk
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Pixies - Doolittle
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

Dapper Dan
12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Lucero-Tennessee

The Drive By Truckers- The Dirty South

This, for the hell of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRhNs5TAfk

HORSEPOWER 56
12-24-2012, 09:07 PM
By genre here's my list (just because there are so many faves of mine)

Pop Rock - U2 - The Joshua Tree (and also my favorite album of all time even though I'm more a rock/metal guy)

Classic Rock - Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (IV is so overplayed and this album has 3 of my 4 favorite Zep songs - The Ocean, Ramble On, and No Quarter)

Southern Rock - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced...

Death/Thrash Metal - Slayer - Reign in Blood

Metal - Metallica - ...And Justice for All (I love all of their albums prior to this one too, but this one is their best musically and engineered, IMO).

Hard Rock/80's Metal - Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Prog Rock - King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

Funk/Punk - tough call between RHCP - Mother's Milk and 311 - Music/Grassroots

Nu Metal - Sevendust - Animosity (I LOVE these guys and can listen to any of their albums all the way through without skipping tracks)

Hardcore - Fugazi - Repeater

Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood

Country - Alabama - Mountain Music (as a hater of country by and large, I love this album)

Grunge - Soundgarden - Louder Than Love

Folk - James Taylor - Sweet Baby James

Rap - Run DMC - Raising Hell

There's lots of other great stuff out there, but these are my personal favorites from each genre.

*Oh and RIP to Mike Scaccia guitarist for Rigor Mortis and Ministry...*

MasterShake
12-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I love Sevendust. Used to see them at The Ogden back in 1998 or so.

Northman
12-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Here is mine based off HP's catagories,

Alternative Rock- 311- Transistor

Classic Rock - The Who- Who's Next

Thrash Metal - Laaz Rockit- Annihiation Principle

Death/Thrash Metal- Sepultura- Arise

Prog Metal - Devin Townsend- Deconstruction

Death Metal- Entombed- Left Hand Path

Symphonic Black Metal- Stormlord- Mare Nostrum

Black/Viking Metal- Enslaved- Isa

Doom/Gothic- Type O Negative- October Rust

Power Metal- Primal Fear- Nuclear Fire

Heavy/Traditional Metal- Judas Priest- Painkiller

Hard Rock/80's Metal - W.A.S.P- The Last Command

Nu Metal - Korn- S/T

Grunge - Soundgarden - Superunknown

Rap - Snoop Doggy Dogg- Doggystyle

Pop Rock - Prince- Purple Rain

Hip Hop- P.M. Dawn- Of The Heart, Of the Soul, and of the Cross: The Utopian Experience

Army Bronco
12-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Nu Metal - Korn- S/T

Hip Hop- P.M. Dawn- Of The Heart, Of the Soul, and of the Cross: The Utopian Experience North, have you ever heard of a Doom band called Candlemass? I love the song Solitude. If you havent heard it, check it out.

Northman
12-25-2012, 06:37 PM

Nu Metal - Korn- S/T

Hip Hop- P.M. Dawn- Of The Heart, Of the Soul, and of the Cross: The Utopian Experience North, have you ever heard of a Doom band called Candlemass? I love the song Solitude. If you havent heard it, check it out.

Yep, I have and I love that song. Currently one the tracks tthat spins on my radio station. :)

HORSEPOWER 56
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
I love Sevendust. Used to see them at The Ogden back in 1998 or so.

They're one of the best bands I've ever seen live.

Jsteve01
01-04-2013, 12:52 AM
one thing I've taken from this thread is we are all old lol

Dapper Dan
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM
one thing I've taken from this thread is we are all old lol

F'reels, bro? Maybe you mean everyone except for me.

Army Bronco
01-04-2013, 01:22 AM
one thing I've taken from this thread is we are all old lollmao so true. I get nostalgic occasionally and listen to old school Metallica, Megadeth and Maiden. Then i try to remember how to play them on guitar. ...and i play like a tard now.

aberdien
01-04-2013, 02:00 AM
F'reels, bro? Maybe you mean everyone except for me.

and me.

MUST SUCK BEING OLD HAHAHAHAHA!

Northman
01-04-2013, 05:34 AM
Doesnt suck for me. Age is just a number. :)

Thnikkaman
01-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Dilla - Donuts

/thread

ShaneFalco
01-09-2013, 08:43 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/NasIllmatic.jpg/220px-NasIllmatic.jpg