PDA

View Full Version : Del Rio After This Season?

nyuk nyuk
12-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Lots of sports radio buzz about Del Rio's being in high demand after the season and basically everyone is expecting him to bail on us.

I recall that when he was hired on, it was made known to him by Denver brass that they wanted someone who would stay a while and commit and not another fly-by-night kind of person, and Del Rio agreed with this, so...

Northman
12-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Hope he stays but money talks.

nyuk nyuk
12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Well Denver interviewed seeking stability for that position and Del Rio at least gave a gentleman's agreement.

underrated29
12-18-2012, 04:25 PM
He stays.

Even if that means we promote him to assistant HC, but he still runs the DC position....More money but he stays here.

nyuk nyuk
12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Funny how nobody is speculating about McCoy bailing.

BroncoNut
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I hope he stays on, but he will do what is best for him and his family I am sure.

BroncoNut
12-18-2012, 04:31 PM

alot of people don't really like McCoy as a playcaller. I don't think his popularity is really high right now. Even if the offense is firing. some of his more critical calls have been questioned

MasterShake
12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
alot of people don't really like McCoy as a playcaller. I don't think his popularity is really high right now. Even if the offense is firing. some of his more critical calls have been questioned

Plus he is expendable with Manning who will probably hand pick the next OC. If we lose Del Rio, maybe we can get Rex Ryan in here after the Jets can him. Am I joking? YOU DECIDE.

Poet
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM

It's also just easy to question how important he really is. I've heard the argument that being the OC in Denver last year was easy because he couldn't really call a lot of plays. This year, it's argued it's easy because of the quarterback basically installing his system.

I've heard people take that argument a step further and basically say that McCoy could be an amazing or awful OC and nobody really knows.

slim
12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
It's also just easy to question how important he really is. I've heard the argument that being the OC in Denver last year was easy because he couldn't really call a lot of plays. This year, it's argued it's easy because of the quarterback basically installing his system.

I've heard people take that argument a step further and basically say that McCoy could be an amazing or awful OC and nobody really knows.

I think he is a terrible OC.

underrated29
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM

That's because we will be better on offense without him.

dogfish
12-18-2012, 11:35 PM

that's not an accident. . . :D

I hope he stays on, but he will do what is best for him and his family I am sure.

thanks, nut. . .

dogfish
12-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Plus he is expendable with Manning who will probably hand pick the next OC. If we lose Del Rio, maybe we can get Rex Ryan in here after the Jets can him. Am I joking? YOU DECIDE.

yes, you are joking. . . rex is a 34 coach who also plays some 46. . . fox is pretty clearly committed to the 4-3 under front as his base defense. . .

if del taco leaves, manning will probably just call the defense in his spare time. . .

or, maybe we'll reach into fox's past again, and get somebody like mike trgovac or sal sunseri. . . or maybe raheem morris, who has experience with the under front-- somebody like that. . .

Softskull
12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
I think JDR falls may fall into the Norv Turner category. Very good at one side of the team. May not be the right guy to run a team.

Every year we see the recycling of good Coordinators that make bad Head Coaches. Cheap teams hire Chan Gaileys. I would hate to see JDR skimmed off to some Cardinal/Cheifs type team. It wouldn't help those teams and it certainly wouldn't help us. But as North said, money talks.

I think someone needs to get some compromising pictures of JDR while he's still here...just to make sure he's not goin' no where.

Dirk
12-19-2012, 07:45 AM
I sure hope he sticks around for at least the next 2 seasons. It's getting old having a revolving door at the DC position.

silkamilkamonico
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Well Denver interviewed seeking stability for that position and Del Rio at least gave a gentleman's agreement.

If Denver hired him based on a gentlemans agreement of staying more than 1 year is ridiculous.

He goes if he wants.

We wouldn't retain him after 1 year if he was terrible, I'm nbot sure why we should expect him to stick around if he's great.

Traveler
12-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Can't the team just refuse all requests from teams wanting to interview JDR?

On the flip side IRRC, I also thought I heard somewhere the team wouldn't stop him from interviewing for a HC job. We need some stability on the defensive side of the ball.

Just think if we can win a couple of SB's if JDR stays. He can practically write his owns terms for the team he then goes to because he'll have added SB victories to his resume.

Cmon' Jack! Hang around for awhile and continue your wonderful work with this defense.

Joel
12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Lots of sports radio buzz about Del Rio's being in high demand after the season and basically everyone is expecting him to bail on us.

I recall that when he was hired on, it was made known to him by Denver brass that they wanted someone who would stay a while and commit and not another fly-by-night kind of person, and Del Rio agreed with this, so...
So what? I mean, yeah, he'd be breaking his word (if it was actually and unambiguously given,) but as a head coach he'd only be responsible to the GM and/or owner. He wouldn't have to convince another head coach he won't run off again to another head coaching job, because he'd already have one, which would put him pretty much as high as he can go and still be on the sideline actively involved in game decisions. There'd be no greater ambition to draw him away, and only one or two people to convince of that self-evident fact even were it necessary.

Meanwhile, about the only NFL coach who doesn't want to be a head coach is Dick LeBeau, because 1) he's VERY tight with the Steelers organization and 2) his his first coaching gig was probably mentoring Rookie of the Year Jim Thorpe. Everyone else wants to be a head coach, and "everyone else" includes Del Rio, as evidenced by the job he had LAST year. Elway and Fox knew that as well as he did from the start.

The real questions are 1) are there any teams so awful on defense they're desperate for a solution and 2) is Denvers success more about the defensive guru who's ALREADY a head coach, plus Elway going after Miller and Manning? Neither of those questions have much to do with Del Rio, and any team considering him as a head coach must consider how his last head coaching job went at least as much as his single year in Denver. There IS a team with a defense so awful they're desperate for help, but they hired our LAST defensive coordinator, an indicator Del Rio hasn't turned around Denvers D, because it was already going in the right direction. Del Rio's not the reason we're 2nd in PF, nor the reason Miller nearly broke the rookie sack record last year. That's not to say he's a bad coach, but anyone hiring him as a HEAD coach based on Denvers performance this year is taking a bit of a gamble, even if Del Rio IS willing.

As to whether him breaking a gentlemans agreement not to take a head coaching job impacts the willingness of other teams to offer one though, I imagine it's a non-factor.

Joel
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Can't the team just refuse all requests from teams wanting to interview JDR?

On the flip side IRRC, I also thought I heard somewhere the team wouldn't stop him from interviewing for a HC job. We need some stability on the defensive side of the ball.

Just think if we can win a couple of SB's if JDR stays. He can practically write his owns terms for the team he then goes to because he'll have added SB victories to his resume.

Cmon' Jack! Hang around for awhile and continue your wonderful work with this defense.
I don't believe teams can deny interview requests for promotions after the season, only lateral moves or new jobs during the season. Heck, if you're the Cheatriots you can re-hire a former OC just because he's played each of your potential playoff opponents except for the Texans and Giants (ironically, someone who'd played the Giants was what they REALLY needed. ;))

zbeg
12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I assume he will be gone after the season, for he is the Denver Broncos defensive coordinator, and therefore is required by law to coach exactly one season in Denver before going somewhere else.

What can you do? It's the law. JDR would be the 8th year in a row, right?

BroncoJoe
12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Does anyone read all of Joel's posts?

zbeg
12-20-2012, 06:54 PM

?

Why wouldn't they?

TXBRONC
12-21-2012, 11:07 AM
That's because we will be better on offense without him.

Ah no. Just look at the numbers for the offense and don't give the b.s. it's all Manning.

TXBRONC
12-21-2012, 11:08 AM

When he gets really long winded I can't it's just to much.

Sorry Joel.

PatriotsGuy
12-21-2012, 11:16 AM
He's going to be Josh McD's D coordinator in Cleveland.:drinking:

Slick
12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I read your posts Joel.

jhns
12-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Del Rio said he likes being a coordinator. I don't see him leaving after this season.

McCoy has been in the conversation for HC jobs. There is an ESPN article talking about him being a canidate on ESPNs front page.

Edit: It isn't on the front page now but it is under their rumors section. It says McManus' top choices for the Eagles job are McCoy, Greg Roman, and Chip Kelly.

vettesplus
12-21-2012, 03:42 PM
i think he is going to end up with the chargers as there next head coach... jmo

Joel
12-22-2012, 12:25 AM
I read your posts Joel.
Just like I read your emails. Don't respond to that Nigerian prince dude, btw; smells fishy. ;)

yuhateme80
12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
If JDR wants to leave Denver to become a HC we can't stop them NFL has a rule stating team can't stop any coach from leaving team if it's considered a promotion if he wants to leave for another DC gig then Denver can say no

HORSEPOWER 56
12-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I found this article relating to JDR and McCoy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/McCoy-Del-Rio-may-benefit-from-Broncos-success-26726989

From the article:

Del Rio has a rather good thing going in Denver with two of the elite pass rushers in the game in Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil, a talented linebacker collection and a secondary led by Bailey. That's a pretty formidable ensemble in which to build a dominating defense.

He's really in no rush to go anywhere just yet.

''When you're a young guy and you haven't been there, the urgency and desire to get that opportunity is such that you'd take just about any job given to you,'' said Del Rio, who was in charge in Jacksonville for nine seasons. ''I don't feel that way now. If there's something that fits and the right situation comes along, so be it. But in the meantime, I'm all in, 100 percent as a lieutenant on this staff. I'm somebody that John Fox, John Elway ... and the players can count on. I'm 100 percent invested in helping them be their best.''

I hope he stays.

Dzone
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
If Dennis Allen can get a hc job after one season here, surely JDR will be offered a hc job after the season. Maybe he would rather stay here.

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I can see him accepting the HC job in AZ, but I am not so sure it will be available.
where else would he consider going, NY ?
SD ?
of course I hope he stays in denver, does he ski?
do his kids snowboard?
does his wife love king supers?
can we get him hooked on sams #3 chili?

tomjonesrocks
12-27-2012, 02:11 PM
i think he is going to end up with the chargers as there next head coach... jmo

If Denver loses him, I am ok with this. I hope he stays, but I don't think much of him as a HC and don't think that roster is well suited for JDR. Am more worried about Mariucci going there.

Would prefer not to lose both OC and DC in the same year though, which sounds like it really could happen.

If that's the case we could possibly be looking at 2005 all over again, one and done where the chemistry was right just for a brief flicker and gone.

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 02:36 PM
what legitimate coach would go to SD if aj smith was still at the helm?
NORV is the only guy willing to tolerate smiths arrogance that throws quality players overboard and then tells hius HC to make a team out of the rookies and leftovers year after year !
JDR wont go to SD as long as AJ is still the GM, you can take that to the bank !

Chef Zambini
12-27-2012, 02:39 PM
If Denver loses him, I am ok with this. I hope he stays, but I don't think much of him as a HC and don't think that roster is well suited for JDR. Am more worried about Mariucci going there.

Would prefer not to lose both OC and DC in the same year though, which sounds like it really could happen.

If that's the case we could possibly be looking at 2005 all over again, one and done where the chemistry was right just for a brief flicker and gone.
sorry, but I think losing our OC would be like losing our back-up long snapper.
PFM runs this offense, and the next OC will just support manning, just like mccoy is doing now.
this is a PFM offense, MM is just fitting in.

hotcarl
12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
is there a way to red shirt del rio or some other way to destroy his eligibility to leave next year? could they promote him to assistant vice coach or something like we did with dennison and coyer? that will stop him from leaving and give us a chance to hire another D minded coach like the guy on the raiders that left, the coach, someone with the horse sense to get things done around here... they could make a franchise tag for him so he and his family would be stuck here for a few years, they could put him in a cage, or camp or something. especially his family I guess, then he would want to stay more, just food for thought imo

zbeg
12-28-2012, 12:49 AM

I think that had more to do with Shanahan screwing up a stable QB situation than changes on the defensive side. I lived Shanahan, but I hated the way he managed the QBs after Elway retired. Bubby/Griese was hard to get over, then Plummer/Cutler. Coming off two great seasons and Shanahan messed up
a good thing. Why, Mike? :-(

ShaneFalco
12-28-2012, 01:29 AM
If Dennis Allen can get a hc job after one season here, surely JDR will be offered a hc job after the season. Maybe he would rather stay here.

Well that is the raiders....

I hope he stays. Sick of the revolving door. And if McCoy goes. Gase would be a fine o coordinator