PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Defense

LTC Pain
12-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Saw this in the DP this morning in a Q&A piece about JDR getting another HC gig. Can't say I would have bet before the season that our defense would have been this good right now. JDR gets a ton of the credit and I hope he stays with the Broncos longer than one year. Those are some good defenses the Broncos are mentioned with! #2 against the run is just shocking, better than the 49ers!!!

.....the Broncos finished out Sunday's game as the No. 4 defense in the league in yards allowed per game (307.1) and they are No. 5 in scoring defense (19.6 per game).

There are only four defenses in the league that are top 10 in both rushing defense and pass defense: the Broncos (No. 2 against the run, No. 8 against the pass), the Steelers (No. 4 and No. 1), the 49ers (No. 3 and No. 5) and the Seahawks (No. 10 and No. 5). The Broncos are tied for second in the league with the Texans in sacks, and linebacker Von Miller is in the discussion for the league's Defensive Player of the Year.

Read more: Broncos' defensive showing will put Jack Del Rio on head-coaching radar - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22210395/broncos-defensive-showing-will-put-jack-del-rio#ixzz2FPWuhP8J
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Chef Zambini
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
very impressed with JDR!
his second half adjustments have been outstanding !
I think this D turned a corner when PORTER went out.
sorry porter, the replacements and the gameplan has made for better defensive football !

MileHighCrew
12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
not sure that is on Porter as the schedule leveled out and the players had more time in the system, but I would say he isn't really missed either at this point

CrazyHorse
12-18-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't think Manning ever had a top defense in Indy.

NightTerror218
12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
#5 defense :woot:

TXBRONC
12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
very impressed with JDR!
his second half adjustments have been outstanding !
I think this D turned a corner when PORTER went out.
sorry porter, the replacements and the gameplan has made for better defensive football !

Porter wasn't playing that poorly. When he was starting the defense was still gelling. He went down just before Chargers game (I think) and that being case I have no problem believing we would have seen that same turnaround if had been in there against the Chargers.

Rick
12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I think Mays being replaced was more of a piece to the changing defense than Porter.

Porter had a fantastic game of his own in there before he went down with his illness.

That being said, he hasn't been missed with the play of the other guys...but I wouldn't credit the turnaround on him coming out.

cmc0605
12-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I think it's hard to compare the early-season defense with what we're doing now based on any simple personnel changes, given the increased chemistry and development of young players. The emergence of a lot of people like Carter, Harris, Woodyard, Moore, and the improved play of the d-line has made this a much better unit (no doubt somewhat a consequence of what Del Rio has done) and much easier to draft for in the near future. I think it's clear a MLB will be a priority after this season.

I'm still not sure Porter shouldn't be playing more or what happened to him. Harris and Bailey should be on the field all the time. Carter made some highlight plays here but he has also struggled to be consistent, especially against bigger receivers. If I was an offensive coordinator I would target him. The one thing I worry about still is elite passers in the playoffs that can the ball out quickly, and whether the offense can be consistent at getting TDs. They seem to fall asleep sometimes.

nyuk nyuk
12-18-2012, 04:18 PM
I guess Porter tweeted some questionable comments, but apparently as of yesterday evening, they were deleted when I looked.

NightTerror218
12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
I guess Porter tweeted some questionable comments, but apparently as of yesterday evening, they were deleted when I looked.

what they say or is it gossip?

Pudge
12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Porter tweeted he was irritated but never said about what

Bacchus
12-19-2012, 04:07 PM
It does not help the situation that JDR's son will be going to college next year. I know Kubes stayed around a couple of years extra waiting for his kids to graduate.

Simple Jaded
12-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah but Kubes kids grew up here, Del Rio's son has been here a year. I don't think it hurts.......

chazoe60
12-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I love our defense I just wish Chris Harris wasn't so damn slow. ;)

Bacchus
12-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah but Kubes kids grew up here, Del Rio's son has been here a year. I don't think it hurts.......

My point was that JDR's kid is graduating high school this year and going to college. If his kid was a Jr. and still going to be in school there would be a much greater chance of him staying another year.

Simple Jaded
12-20-2012, 12:02 AM
My point was that JDR's kid is graduating high school this year and going to college. If his kid was a Jr. and still going to be in school there would be a much greater chance of him staying another year.

Chances are better that he wouldn't move his family while his son was a Jr in highschool, is what you're saying? He literally just did that.

You say this a year after he just did what you said the chances are he wouldn't do, the only difference is he currently has a job.......

MOtorboat
12-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Chances are better that he wouldn't move his family while his son was a Jr in highschool, is what you're saying? He literally just did that.

You say this a year after he just did what you said the chances are he wouldn't do, the only difference is he currently has a job.......

He didn't move last year by choice.