PDA

View Full Version : Bronco WR Tandem

NightTerror218
12-14-2012, 12:27 PM
I liked this article on Rod Smith Eddie Mac vs Decker and thomas comparisons.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22189842/decker-thomas-have-gift-grab-like-two-former

Northman
12-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I like how the article is a few weeks late since I pointed this out a while ago.

broncofaninfla
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm glad we have them both but IMO they have a long way to go to be what Rod and Eddie were to the Broncos.

UnderArmour
12-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Decker and Thomas are far more talented than Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey. If they can stay healthy and play their entire careers here, they will be in our ring of fame someday. Both have a lot to improve in their game, especially Decker, but if they keep on their current path they will surpass Rod and Eddie Mac. We're going to have a hell of a time keeping them both under contract when that time comes. McDaniels did a good job in selecting them both in the same draft.

DenBronx
12-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Im not so sure DT and Decker are better than Smith and McCaffery. Eddie Mac was a badass, he blocked like a LB and was always so clutch. Smith was a great route runner and very consistant.

DT might be the best out of all 4 when its all said and done but as a pair of WRs I think Smith and Eddie Mac were better. Add in the fact we also had Sharpe in the passing game, who was really a WR then we had better overall talent in those years of recievers

broncofaninfla
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Am I the only one that isn't very impressed with Decker so far? I think he is at best a solid WR right now BUT has some upside to him because I think he can get better. As a tandem though, DT and ED don't measure up to RS and EM.....not yet at least.

Northman
12-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Am I the only one that isn't very impressed with Decker so far? I think he is at best a solid WR right now BUT has some upside to him because I think he can get better. As a tandem though, DT and ED don't measure up to RS and EM.....not yet at least.

They have already virtually outplayed them at this stage in their careers. We shall see how decker and dt finish it out.

Cugel
12-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Not even close. However, DT is obviously a much superior athlete than Rod Smith. He just is much less experienced than Rod was in the SB seasons and therefore not as reliable.

You didn't see balls bouncing off Rod & Ed's hands the way they have off the hands of DT and Decker this season.

I think in years to come, IF DT continues to play with Peyton and continues to work 100% on his professionalism he can become a top 5 WR in the NFL. He has all the physical skills to be up there with Larry Fitzgerald and Megatron. He does NOT have the experience, toughness and savvy yet and might never get there. But, he COULD do it within the next 2 or 3 years.

What Denver really lacks right now that the SB teams had was Shannon Sharpe. Tamme & Driessen are OK, but not special. And of course you can't remotely compare any Broncos RB to Terrell Davis.

If this season's Broncos had T.D. they would be hands down favorites to win the SB, just like in '98 it would be a cake-walk. Not even NE could compete with them. But, of course they don't. (Not surprising: the only guy in the NFL playing at that level is Adrian Peterson). Add that level RB and the Broncos offense would be totally unstoppable.

CoachChaz
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Be careful. You WILL catch shit for doubting Decker around here

Slick
12-14-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm sure Eddie Mac wishes he had played during the defensless receiver era.

Simple Jaded
12-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Um, you most certainly did see balls bouncing off Smith's hands early in his career, unless you weren't paying attention.......

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I think the perception of Eddy Mac is greatly exaggerated in Denver. I mean, who doesn't LOVE Eddy Mac??? Right? The guy was a work horse, a great guy, and part of the tandem that won Super Bowls.

But the reality is, he wasn't really that talented of a WR. We weren't able to grab him in FA because he was a sought after player. He was simply a role player that fit perfectly with what Shanahan was doing.

But Decker is compared to Mac because they are both White.. but they are different WRs. As of right now, Decker has accomplished more than Mac has at this stage while having Orton and Tebow.

I don't think anyone is claiming that Decker is some kind of super star, but many of you wish to think that Eddy Mac was another Julio Jones opposite of Rod Smith. Decker runs good routes, and gets open. And believe me, Rod and Ed DID drop passes.

But these guys don't have a Sharpe to pull coverages, nor a TD to keep the LBs in tight to open up the passing lanes.

DenBronx
12-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I think the perception of Eddy Mac is greatly exaggerated in Denver. I mean, who doesn't LOVE Eddy Mac??? Right? The guy was a work horse, a great guy, and part of the tandem that won Super Bowls.

But the reality is, he wasn't really that talented of a WR. We weren't able to grab him in FA because he was a sought after player. He was simply a role player that fit perfectly with what Shanahan was doing.

But Decker is compared to Mac because they are both White.. but they are different WRs. As of right now, Decker has accomplished more than Mac has at this stage while having Orton and Tebow.

I don't think anyone is claiming that Decker is some kind of super star, but many of you wish to think that Eddy Mac was another Julio Jones opposite of Rod Smith. Decker runs good routes, and gets open. And believe me, Rod and Ed DID drop passes.

But these guys don't have a Sharpe to pull coverages, nor a TD to keep the LBs in tight to open up the passing lanes.

Decker is finesse, Eddie Mac wasnt. Like someone said above, the rules really favor the WRs nowdays. Back in Rods and Eddies day the DBs got away with much more than they do today and the Safties and LBs could lay you OUT!! Eddie took some of the hardest shots ever! I remember him popping back up and kind of cracking his neck and then jogging right back to the huddle. When I see Decker sliding like a QB, especially with the softer rules I get dissapointed a bit.

I like DT and Decker alot though....but they do drop more passes than Smith and Eddie did. So, I know they can be better and believe they will be. Just right now they are not.

NightTerror218
12-14-2012, 05:23 PM
people also need to realize the different in age between them too. Eddie Mac came in his 5th year to Denver and Rod Smith came from the practice squad. It took them both several years before getting into the grove of things. Same with DT and Decker. They are coming along nicely this season which gives me high homes.

edit: Rod Smith and DTs stats are erie identical in 3rd season.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Decker is finesse, Eddie Mac wasnt. Like someone said above, the rules really favor the WRs nowdays. Back in Rods and Eddies day the DBs got away with much more than they do today and the Safties and LBs could lay you OUT!! Eddie took some of the hardest shots ever! I remember him popping back up and kind of cracking his neck and then jogging right back to the huddle. When I see Decker sliding like a QB, especially with the softer rules I get dissapointed a bit.

I like DT and Decker alot though....but they do drop more passes than Smith and Eddie did. So, I know they can be better and believe they will be. Just right now they are not.

Man Decker gets a lot of shit for that. He didn't slide to avoid getting tackled. It was obvious he slid in hopes of trying to kill the clock. It was a mental error, not an error of trying to puss out.

Plus, if Eddie Mac played in today's league, he probably wouldnt' get to play in half the games because of concussions. Hard to tell how many he played with.

Northman
12-14-2012, 09:07 PM

Couldnt of said it better myself.

Unfortuantely people want to try and compare two guys who were great later in their careers compared to two guys who are younger and less experienced. But if you look at both pairs early in their careers you will see the guys we have are either better or right on par with Rod and Eddy.

tomjonesrocks
12-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Man Decker gets a lot of shit for that. He didn't slide to avoid getting tackled. It was obvious he slid in hopes of trying to kill the clock. It was a mental error, not an error of trying to puss out.

Am not sure the coaches agree with this. All reports were Decker got torn a new ******* in the film room.

DenBronx
12-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Am not sure the coaches agree with this. All reports were Decker got torn a new ******* in the film room.

He did get chewed out from the coaches is what I read. Decker isnt a physical type of WR. DT/Decker are alot differant from Smith/Eddie so its a little hard to compare the two, especially with all of the rules now.

Poet
12-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I like that Decker is known for a slide and not being a good WR who has had monster games for you.

turftoad
12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Weather they are compared to Rod and Ed makes no diff to me. The part I like about it is, they are being compared at all.

I laugh at all the assclown Tebow fans that said they couldn't catch. Makes a diff having a QB that can actually throw the at a target and frigging Come close to his target.

Man am I glad they're gone.

Simple Jaded
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Weather they are compared to Rod and Ed makes no diff to me. The part I like about it is, they are being compared at all.

I laugh at all the assclown Tebow fans that said they couldn't catch. Makes a diff having a QB that can actually throw the at a target and frigging Come close to his target.

Man am I glad they're gone.
I think it was Dilfer or Young who made the statement that an accurate QB can communicate with his receiver with where he throws the ball, stopping him in a zone, leading him away from defenders. I think that's what separates the Brady's, Manning's and Brees.......es from the Flacco's and Stafford's, the pugilists from brawlers.

Thomas and Decker haven't had either.

Btw, I doubt they're truly gone, just in hiding, waiting.......