PDA

View Full Version : From SI, story on Moreno

rationalfan
12-13-2012, 09:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121213/knowshon-moreno/?sct=hp_bf3_a2&eref=sihp

SR
12-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Good read

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

bcbronc
12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
"averaging 120.3 total yards per game since becoming the starter"

Just a shame more of those weren't rushing yards.

SR
12-13-2012, 10:22 PM

I see a lot of people say that. What difference does it make as long as he's producing and not turning the ball over. Some of y'all can never be happy.

BroncoStud
12-13-2012, 10:26 PM
He's been a pleasant surprise and compliments Manning well.

bcbronc
12-13-2012, 10:26 PM
I see a lot of people say that. What difference does it make as long as he's producing and not turning the ball over. Some of y'all can never be happy.

Well when you put it that way, I have to agree.

Tned
12-13-2012, 10:29 PM

In this offense, with Manning and running so much shotgun/no huddle, having a good receiving back that can produce rushing and receiving is VERY important. It's why prior to McGahee's injury, I was hoping to see more of Hillman, just because of the catch and run thread he brings to the game.

SR
12-13-2012, 10:29 PM
In this offense, with Manning and running so much shotgun/no huddle, having a good receiving back that can produce rushing and receiving is VERY important. It's why prior to McGahee's injury, I was hoping to see more of Hillis, just because of the catch and run thread he brings to the game.

Hillis?

Simple Jaded
12-13-2012, 10:35 PM
As a runner I think he needs a starters reps to get any kind of groove going but the other things he brings to the table suits this offense whether he starts or not.......

Tned
12-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Hillis?

Ok, a couple beers, and I fell into flashback mode. :eek: Hillman.

Army Bronco
12-13-2012, 11:17 PM

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner and he is not just running into the o line blindly.

Chef Zambini
12-13-2012, 11:21 PM
fo-show a chess player, I now like him even more.

tomjonesrocks
12-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Can't get the link to go anywhere. Anything interesting?

Chef Zambini
12-14-2012, 12:00 AM
yes he says having sex with haley berry changed his life

DenBronx
12-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Moreno just needs to stay healthy, consitant, not fumble and keep moving the chains. He has showed us several big time games, so he's deffinitely capable of doing that. He clearly is the best back behind McGahee on our roster and I think in a Manning offense he will do great. We finally just might see a much better Moreno now....so I'm excited to see these next 3 weeks of him playing.

SR
12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
and he is not just running into the o line blindly.

That goes with the whole producing thing.

SR
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Moreno just needs to stay healthy, consitant, not fumble and keep moving the chains. He has showed us several big time games, so he's deffinitely capable of doing that. He clearly is the best back behind McGahee on our roster and I think in a Manning offense he will do great. We finally just might see a much better Moreno now....so I'm excited to see these next 3 weeks of him playing.

What's funny is that before the season I was saying the same stuff essentially...saying that Moreno had the potential to be a solid RB and a stud catching the ball in the flats. I was laughed at. Now, after three games (which is hardly enough to say "I told you so"), there's a Moreno bandwagon.

TXBRONC
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
He's not going to rip off a lot big runs i.e 20 plus yards but if can continue to grind it and catch the ball out of the backfield the offense will continue to produce and keep defenses off balance.

Dapper Dan
12-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Hmm. Good thing we didn't cut him..

BroncoNut
12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
He's been a pleasant surprise and compliments Manning well.

yeah, it seems like he says alot of nice things about Peyton

BroncoWave
12-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Hmm. Good thing we didn't cut him..

Yeah, if the front office made decisions on players based on fan reaction on this board guys like DT, Moreno, Moore, and Ayers would be long gone.

SR
12-14-2012, 11:31 AM
He's not going to rip off a lot big runs i.e 20 plus yards but if can continue to grind it and catch the ball out of the backfield the offense will continue to produce and keep defenses off balance.

McGahee didn't rip off a lot of long runs either. He pounded the ball between the tackles and just had a solid YPC average. Moreno can do the same thing and he's a bigger threat catching the ball out of the backfield. I'll tell you what though, as soon as he coughs the ball up I'm gonna kick my cat.

SR
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM

I laughed

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Getting 100 yrds rushing alone, is a BIG difference to a team than getting 50 rushing and 50 receiving. The 100yrds total isn't the same.

I remember years back that a few teams bragged about having 2 backs going over 500 yrds rushing, and saying "whats difference does it make if they have 1 RB going over 1000, or 2 going over 500?? Its a HUGE difference (although I don't believe that 1000 yrds should be the bench mark anymore, should be 1200). If you have the one back that can go over 1200 yrds RUSHING on his own, it means you have a guy that can hit the BIG run. He can take it to the house on any play that puts the ball in his hands, because he has the ABILITY to take it there.

Right now, Moreno hasn't shown the ability to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. He has poor speed, and no break-away ability. As TX said, he's not going to break off 20yrd runs, but seems to be grinding them out... maybe. I mean, we all HOPE he does, thats for sure.

CoachChaz
12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
McGahee only had 2 rushes over 20 yards before he got injured. I dont think Moreno is making us miss any kind of breakaway threat

TXBRONC
12-14-2012, 11:46 AM
McGahee didn't rip off a lot of long runs either. He pounded the ball between the tackles and just had a solid YPC average. Moreno can do the same thing and he's a bigger threat catching the ball out of the backfield. I'll tell you what though, as soon as he coughs the ball up I'm gonna kick my cat.

McGahee gets yards after contact that hasn't been something Moreno has done with any kind of consistency. I don't see him being a bigger threat catching the ball out of the backfield he will do as good of job as McGahee. His primary is still going to be running the ball.

BroncoNut
12-14-2012, 11:47 AM
good read. thanks

Nomad
12-14-2012, 11:48 AM

A Bulldog and Volunteer playing in harmony together....who would of thunk it:lol:

BroncoNut
12-14-2012, 11:50 AM
A Bulldog and Volunteer playing in harmony together....who would of thunk it:lol:

I wouldn't have. In fact that might the stupidest comment I've ever read (just kidding, pretty clever)

BroncoWave
12-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Getting 100 yrds rushing alone, is a BIG difference to a team than getting 50 rushing and 50 receiving. The 100yrds total isn't the same.

I remember years back that a few teams bragged about having 2 backs going over 500 yrds rushing, and saying "whats difference does it make if they have 1 RB going over 1000, or 2 going over 500?? Its a HUGE difference (although I don't believe that 1000 yrds should be the bench mark anymore, should be 1200). If you have the one back that can go over 1200 yrds RUSHING on his own, it means you have a guy that can hit the BIG run. He can take it to the house on any play that puts the ball in his hands, because he has the ABILITY to take it there.

Right now, Moreno hasn't shown the ability to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. He has poor speed, and no break-away ability. As TX said, he's not going to break off 20yrd runs, but seems to be grinding them out... maybe. I mean, we all HOPE he does, thats for sure.

Should I pull up posts of yours mentioning the great 1100 yard season Peyton Hillis had?

CoachChaz
12-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Because that would be different from McGahee?

BroncoNut
12-14-2012, 12:05 PM

yeah, that was definitely an issue with McFAGhee

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Should I pull up posts of yours mentioning the great 1100 yard season Peyton Hillis had?

Sure.. I don't care.. :shrug:

While your at it, post where I said his 1100 yrd season was great. tia

SR
12-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Oh...my cat paid for that too.

TXBRONC
12-14-2012, 12:13 PM

Oh ho said it was different for McGahee?

Although serveral times during the eigth weeks Moreno was inactive McGahee fumbled several times but Fox didn't bench him.

CoachChaz
12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Oh said it was different for McGahee?

I guess I dont understand the question as it's typed. Doesnt make sense

BroncoNut
12-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Although serveral times during the eigth weeks Moreno was inactive McGahee fumbled several times but Fox didn't bench him.

you implied it pretty strongly TXB

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Well, Moreno is playing well right now. Not great, nothing amazing, but well. I'm hoping he continues that throughout the year. We will really need him this week. The Ravens have been pretty weak against the run this year, so I hope he has a BIG time impact.

CoachChaz
12-14-2012, 12:23 PM

No one said it would different from McGahee.

BroncoNut
12-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, Moreno is playing well right now. Not great, nothing amazing, but well. I'm hoping he continues that throughout the year. We will really need him this week. The Ravens have been pretty weak against the run this year, so I hope he has a BIG time impact.

I hope he continues it into next year!!!

we will always need a good running back. for every game we play

bcbronc
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Rav, could you explain how 50 / 50 is somehow less effective than 100 / 0 ? By my math both equal 10 first downs.

I mean if a back takes a screen pass 40 yards for a score is it less valuable than busting a 40 yard TD run off-tackle?

Or on third and two, do we not get the same new set of downs if a back converts on a swing pass to the flats instead of blasting through the A gap?

Your position makes zero sense to me. Moreno contributed 120 yards from scrimmage. If its 60 /60 or 10 / 110 means squat.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Rav, could you explain how 50 / 50 is somehow less effective than 100 / 0 ? By my math both equal 10 first downs.

I mean if a back takes a screen pass 40 yards for a score is it less valuable than busting a 40 yard TD run off-tackle?

Or on third and two, do we not get the same new set of downs if a back converts on a swing pass to the flats instead of blasting through the A gap?

Your position makes zero sense to me. Moreno contributed 120 yards from scrimmage. If its 60 /60 or 10 / 110 means squat.

If your RB is pounding out 100 yrds on the ground, rushing, then the team is able to rush the ball. That makes things easier for the team to do many more things, offensively. It makes it easier to pass, it makes easier on first downs, it makes it easier on 3rd downs, and it makes it easier near the goal line. Not to mention, being able to run the ball near the end of the game when you want to wind down the clock.

If your starting RB is only getting 50 yrds rushing, then he's NOT able to run, and thus your QB is having to pass....thus why the RB is then getting more catches from the backfield, but you are still being 1 demenional. You aren't able to pound it through for 3rd and shorts, its not a thread near the goalline, and its not going to be something you can run out the clock with.

Ask any coach if they would rather have their RB get 100 yrds rushing, or 50 yrds rushing and 50 receiving, and I guarantee that 100yrds rushing is absolutely a much larger gain for the team.

CoachChaz
12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
If your RB is pounding out 100 yrds on the ground, rushing, then the team is able to rush the ball. That makes things easier for the team to do many more things, offensively. It makes it easier to pass, it makes easier on first downs, it makes it easier on 3rd downs, and it makes it easier near the goal line. Not to mention, being able to run the ball near the end of the game when you want to wind down the clock.

If your starting RB is only getting 50 yrds rushing, then he's NOT able to run, and thus your QB is having to pass....thus why the RB is then getting more catches from the backfield, but you are still being 1 demenional. You aren't able to pound it through for 3rd and shorts, its not a thread near the goalline, and its not going to be something you can run out the clock with.

Ask any coach if they would rather have their RB get 100 yrds rushing, or 50 yrds rushing and 50 receiving, and I guarantee that 100yrds rushing is absolutely a much larger gain for the team.

To be more specific, I think that answer would be because running the ball more often likely means having a lead where throwing the ball more likely means playing catch up. So, it's kind of a loaded question.

However, there are defenses that simply shut down the run and require an offense to pass. So, I think most coaches would prefer a solid balance of succes in the pass and the run games.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 05:41 PM
To be more specific, I think that answer would be because running the ball more often likely means having a lead where throwing the ball more likely means playing catch up. So, it's kind of a loaded question.

However, there are defenses that simply shut down the run and require an offense to pass. So, I think most coaches would prefer a solid balance of succes in the pass and the run games.

I'm not answering on how teams would like to be able to do both. I'm saying that there is a difference between rushing for 100 yrds and rushing for 50 and getting 50 receiving. A coach would absolutely want to rush for 100 yrds rather than 50-50 if given the choice. Having a solid running game opens up the pass (if you follow the philosophies of Walsh and his diciples).

Dapper Dan
12-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Taking an inactive player who "should have been cut" and getting any yards out of him is nothing to complain about

BroncoWave
12-14-2012, 05:52 PM
You don't really need a great running game to win in today's NFL. I don't really understand why people still think it's such a huge necessity. Sure it's nice to have, but the two teams in the Super Bowl last season were two of the worst rushing teams in football.

These are the last 10 #1 RBs on Super Bowl champs:
Ahmad Bradshaw (659 yds)
Brandon Jackson (703 yds)
Pierre Thomas (793)
Willie Parker (791)
Brandon Jacobs (1009)
Joseph Addai (1081)
Willie Parker (1202)
Corey Dillon (1635)
Antwan Smith (642)
Michael Pittman (718)

The idea that you need a great running game in today's NFL is just a myth. I'm not sure why it's still perpetuated.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Jesus. You all will argue about anything and everything.

Dapper Dan
12-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Jesus. You all will argue about anything and everything.

I'm offended by that.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah.. today's rules are around passing the ball. QBs can't be hit, WRs are supposed to be allowed to catch the ball bfore you tackle them softly. RBs aren't getting the carries today that they used to in the past.

That being said, the top RBs are on teams that don't have top QBs. So is it because a top QB throws and thus they don't need a top runner, or is it because the worse the QB the more they rely on their RB? Hard to say considering how things are so interconnected.

Dapper Dan
12-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah.. today's rules are around passing the ball. QBs can't be hit, WRs are supposed to be allowed to catch the ball bfore you tackle them softly. RBs aren't getting the carries today that they used to in the past.

That being said, the top RBs are on teams that don't have top QBs. So is it because a top QB throws and thus they don't need a top runner, or is it because the worse the QB the more they rely on their RB? Hard to say considering how things are so interconnected.

I think part of it is you can't really afford a top QB AND a top RB.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Hmm... well.... if you draft a RB and he turns out to be great, then its the same amount either way. Ray Rice was drafted in the 2nd round. Matt Forte, in the second round. Jamal Charles, 3rd round. Doug Martin was the 31st pick.

BroncoWave
12-14-2012, 06:46 PM

There's really no reason to pay top money to a RB. Given the choice any team would pay the top QB instead.

bcbronc
12-14-2012, 06:50 PM

Sure ask any coach if they'd rather be able to run or not run, they'll all pick able.

But ultimately they'll all agree that as long as your moving the chains how its done is secondary. I mean Moreno is averaging 120 yards from scrimmage probably roughly split 80 rushing / 40 passing, so what's the issue? Would you really prefer 100 yards rushing instead of 120 yards overall?

Really as long as Moreno is effective enough to make the play action work, it doesn't matter to me where his yards come from.

Dapper Dan
12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Hmm... well.... if you draft a RB and he turns out to be great, then its the same amount either way. Ray Rice was drafted in the 2nd round. Matt Forte, in the second round. Jamal Charles, 3rd round. Doug Martin was the 31st pick.

Usually they will hold out for more money once they have a good season.

BroncoWave
12-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Usually they will hold out for more money once they have a good season.

At which point a smart team would let them go. Just look at all the recent super bowl teams. Most of them have a RBBC with different guys who do different things well. I think that's way more effective than just having one stud guy.

Dapper Dan
12-14-2012, 07:12 PM
At which point a smart team would let them go. Just look at all the recent super bowl teams. Most of them have a RBBC with different guys who do different things well. I think that's way more effective than just having one stud guy.

Why not keep him? Look at all of the Super Bowls the Vikings, Titans, etc have. :D

Simple Jaded
12-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Clearly you don't need Adrian Peterson to win a championship, that's not much of an argument for Moreno, tho.......

Dapper Dan
12-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Clearly you don't need Adrian Peterson to win a championship, that's not much of an argument for Moreno, tho.......

The thread got off topic.

Superchop 7
12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
It is apparent watching him that he has embraced the coaching, he is doing what they want him to do. Flashy gets you on a highlight reel, solid gets you a career. Good for him.

TXBRONC
12-17-2012, 10:02 AM
you implied it pretty strongly TXB

No I didn't. It's not just because it's McGahee. It's been because McGahee was a consistent performer.

SR
12-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Michael Pittman (718)

Seeing that name made me LAWLZ a little for some reason.

Dzone
12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
We had better tie up Moreno with a new contract or he will be hurdling for san diego