PDA

View Full Version : Tagliabue’s ruling suggests Saints were targeting Peyton Manning, too

DenBronx
12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
The bounty case has only ever mentioned two quarterbacks whom the Saints faced on their early 2010 run to the Super Bowl: former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner and former Vikings quarterback Brett Favre. Though common sense suggests that the team’s defensive attitude also applied to former Colts quarterback Peyton Manning — especially since former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams had said that the team hoped to apply “remember me” hits to the New Orleans native — no evidence had pointed to a pointed effort to target Peyton.

The 22-page written ruling from former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue implies otherwise. Though the name “Peyton Manning” appears nowhere in the document, Tagliabue’s characterization of PowerPoint slides that had not previously been disclosed suggests that information encouraging an effort to knock Manning out of Super Bowl XLIV was given to the Saints players after they had beaten Arizona and Minnesota.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/11/tagliabues-ruling-suggests-saints-were-targeting-peyton-manning-too/

DenBronx
12-11-2012, 04:26 PM
"One more QB to go"

Damn! I know Goodell is pretty harsh on player judgement but I really feel these players are getting away with the crime. As of today it looks like they are going to win the case against the league. Thats what lawyers do, if you are guilty they can make you innocent.

bcbronc
12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Wait, I haven't paid too much attention to this whole bounty gate thing, but you mean defensive plyers targeted QBs? What has football become??!!

zbeg
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
"One more QB to go"

Damn! I know Goodell is pretty harsh on player judgement but I really feel these players are getting away with the crime. As of today it looks like they are going to win the case against the league. Thats what lawyers do, if you are guilty they can make you innocent.

I think the idea is that it was coming from the coaches, and if the players didn't listen to the coaches, they could be benched/disciplined/cut/whatever. So they've come down hard on the coaching staff but are giving the players a little bit of leniency.

I don't think that's a crazy conclusion. Tagliabue undermined Goodell in a big way today. I wasn't expecting that.

nyuk nyuk
12-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Porter have any comments on this one?

Simple Jaded
12-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Tagliabue undermined Goodell in a big way today. I wasn't expecting that.

How so? Were the suspensions changed?.......

zbeg
12-12-2012, 01:13 AM
How so? Were the suspensions changed?.......

Yeah. Four player suspensions (including a full season for Jonathan Vilma) were pending the appeal. Those players will now receive no suspension whatsoever.

tomjonesrocks
12-12-2012, 02:14 AM
My high school coach did all this shit. Patton in the locker room. Sizzler dinner if you hurt a guy. Therefore I conclude this occurs all the time.

Ravage!!!
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I think the idea is that it was coming from the coaches, and if the players didn't listen to the coaches, they could be benched/disciplined/cut/whatever. So they've come down hard on the coaching staff but are giving the players a little bit of leniency.

I don't think that's a crazy conclusion. Tagliabue undermined Goodell in a big way today. I wasn't expecting that.

I think its the other way around. Players ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS want to hit a guy so hard he goes out of the game. They ALWAYS want to give the "remember me" hits.

The fact that the NFL warned the COACHING STAFF/Organization since 2009, and not the players, tells me that the coaches should be given a harsher penalty. I think the players got MORE than enough... in fact, too much....discipline on this.

But I agree. Considering that Tagliabue is employed by the law firm that is hired by the NFL to represent them in "bounty related cases"... made me believe that this was nothing more than another crappy Goodell run around. I still think it was, but am glad it bit him.

Ravage!!!
12-12-2012, 11:59 AM
My high school coach did all this shit. Patton in the locker room. Sizzler dinner if you hurt a guy. Therefore I conclude this occurs all the time.

It does. Hell, they were talking with NFL players just yesterday on ESPN and they were saying that the SHOCKING part of this, when it came out, was that the coaches were so involved. Some admitted that they were doing this back in college, but it normally was just between the players. The DBs would put a little cash in, and players were rewarded for "big plays".. whether its a BIG hit, an INT, a Fumble recovery, or taking a player out (not intentionally injuring). People think that if you try to "take him out".. it means to do it illegally. Thats just ignorance.

Chef Zambini
12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
the NFL got wind of these money for injury shit with the saints.
they went to the GM and coaches and said STOP. the NFL did NOT take the time to sit down with the PLAYERS, they made it the TEAM's responsability.
the team FAILED to deliver the message to the players. the behavior continued and the TEAM covered it up . the NFL didnt think allowing the PLAYERS to get off was a good precedent because then future occurances the teAM WOULD JUST SAY, HEY WE FAILED TO INFORM OUR PLAYERS IN a contived attempt to keep them on the field because they were ignorant.

players have said all along, 'we were never told"
and the NFLs rebuttle, thats not our fault, we warned your team officials, they were suppose to get the word to you and do the enforcement.

NightTerror218
12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Players can still get fined though

Cugel
12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
"One more QB to go"

Damn! I know Goodell is pretty harsh on player judgement but I really feel these players are getting away with the crime. As of today it looks like they are going to win the case against the league. That's what lawyers do, if you are guilty they can make you innocent.

I suppose you are one of those idiots who thinks we should do away with the lawyers -- until suddenly YOU need a lawyer and show up in my office screaming about your "rights." :rolleyes:

Then all of a sudden it's a totally different story!

"Come the wet-ass hour, suddenly I'm everybody's friend." -- Al Pacino, Sea of Love

Cugel
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Do you know that HOFer Jim Brown was interviewed about Bounty-gate, and he said that bounties have been a part of the NFL as long as he's known it. His Browns teams in the 50's & 60's had a bounty on some guy (he named the player, but I never heard of him), and went after him but they "couldn't get him." Apparently, this bounty was in retaliation for that player making a dirty hit on one of their players, etc.

And of course, some of the other teams had bounties on Jim Brown, and some teams who didn't have bounties were just trying to hurt him and knock him out of games, but they couldn't get HIM either. He used to toy with them by walking back to the huddle slowly, with a limp, as if he were hurt by a tough tackle, just to con the defenders into thinking that they were getting to him.

Then on the next play he'd take the hand-off and run into the LB and knock him down, and they'd realize that he wasn't so hurt after all.

This has been part of the NFL for many decades. It's nothing new.

Ravage!!!
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
"Bounties" is just a negative word used intentionally to make the players look bad.