PDA

View Full Version : If the season ended today; Complete AFC Playoff Scenarios after Week 14

RunYouOver
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
It's good to be able to do these again, like I used to do 4-5 years ago, and while you can see where the teams currently stand anywhere, here you'll get the in-depth scenarios on what has to happen for teams to make the playoffs. If you don't have the time, patience or interest to read through it all, there's a quick little summary at the bottom, and the parts relating to Denver are towards the top. :cool:

Here's how things shake up after Week 14 in the AFC.

1. Houston Texans (11-2)*
2. New England Patriots (10-3)*
3. Denver Broncos (10-3) -X
4. Baltimore Ravens (9-4)
5. Indianapolis Colts (9-4)
6. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-6)

Still alive:

7. Cincinnati Bengals (7-6)
8. NY Jets (6-7)
9. Cleveland (5-8)
10. San Diego (5-8)

Explanations, scenarios, etc.
*-denotes first round bye
X- denotes clinched division, one of the top 4 seeds

The top seeds
--New England has the tiebreaker over us from beating us in Week 5. The only way we can get a seeding over them would be to finish with a better record. Based off how they have looked at home, we need to win out and hope they lose one of their last few.

--Baltimore only needs one win in their last 3 games to clinch the AFC North, or they need Pittsburgh and Cincinnati to lose 1 game each. While they haven't clinched anything just yet, the specifics for what would have to happen for them to change are not worth getting into at this point. Update on them next week.

--Indianpolis still controls its own destiny in terms of winning the AFC south. If they win out OR if Houston loses out, Indy will likely become the #3 or #4 seed in the AFC. Bet ya didn't know that. The Colts have 2 games remaining against the Texans and are currently two games back of them.

How Denver stands

--Our only chance of passing the Texans is if we finish ahead of them in the standings since they hold the tiebreaker over us from Week 3. We'll need to win out and have them lose two games to jump them in the seeding

--It's worth noting that if the Colts win the AFC South, there's only a few ways in which we would NOT be seeded lower than them. We would need it to result from either a) us winning out b) Colts losing their game to KC while Houston loses out or c) us losing 1 of our 3 last, while Houston-Indy tie one of their matchups, with Houston losing the other game they have left against Minnesota.

In terms of the likelihood of those things happening...the only way we pass the AFC south division winner in the seeding is if we win out and the Texans lose any two of their games.

Even at 10-3 right now, we'd pretty much need to go 13-3 AND get help to be one of the top 2 seeds in the AFC.

Sorting out the rest of the AFC mess

--The Steelers beat the Bengals once this season, so they currently hold the tiebreaker, but they meet again in Week 16. If either the Steelers or Bengals win out, they will make the playoffs, most likely as the 6 seed.

-However, that 6th seed is very much up in the air right now. The Bengals and Steelers schedules are tough (@Philly, @Pitt, vs. Balt for Cincy, @Dallas, vs. Cincy and vs Cleveland for Pittsburgh). If BOTH teams lose one game (and since they play each other, that means at least one team has to), that opens up the door for the Jets and Browns.

The Jets--how are they still alive?

--The Jets remaining schedule is fairly easy (@TEN, vs SD @BUF) but they'll need a lot of help. If Pittsburgh and Cincy both lose 2/3 and the Jets win out, they're in. Pittsburgh beat them head to head though, so they'll need to win out and have PIT lose 2/3, or win 2 and have Pittsburgh lose out. If they win 2 and Pittsburgh loses out though, they'll still need help. If the Bengals win their last two games, but lose this week and the Jets lose 1 of the their last 3, the Jets are eliminated due to conference record. So what happens if the Bengals lose one of their three, beating Pittsburgh, and the Jets win out? If the Bengals lose to Philly, the two will have the same conference record at 7-5.

BUT, if Pittsburgh has the same record as the Bengals and the three teams are tied, FIRST, one AFC North team has to be eliminated. For the 3 way tie to still be in place, Cincy would need to lose to Philly and not to Baltimore, leaving them at 3-3 in the division. If Pittsburgh loses to Cincy but beats Cleveland in Week 17, they'll also be 3-3. The next tie-breaker is common opponents, which would be the 4 AFC West teams and 4 NFC East teams. Pittsburgh's record in those games is 4-3 with one game to go against Dallas, Cincy's is 5-2 with one game to go against Philly. So if Cincy only wins their last two games and Pittsburgh beats Dallas, loses to Cincy and beats Cleveland, their both 5-3 in those games. Next comes conference record, which hurts Pittsburgh. They're 4-6 right now while Cincy is 5-5. So if Cincy beats Pittsburgh, and all the previous scenarios play out, that'd give Cincy the divisional tie-breaker.

Now that the Jets would need to win tie-breakers against Cincy, they haven't played head to head, so it comes down to common opponents, which you'd need a minimum of 4 for. The opponents that apply to these two are SD, MIA, PIT and JAX. The Jets record in those games would be 3-2, while Cincy's would also be 3-2 (of course!). Next up would be strength of victory: Right now, if this scenario played out teams Cincy would have played would have 52 wins, and Jets would have 49 wins. That could change based on how their opponents do in the next few weeks, so it's too close to call.

As you can see though, clearly the Jets have a shot, but need a lot of help, especially if they lose one game.

The rest

--Finally, the Browns are still alive! If all 3 of those AFC North teams finish 8-8, they'd have a best Head to Head percentage between the three of them be the tie-breaker. Cleveland would be 3-1 against those two, Cincy 2-2 and Pitt 1-3. This eliminates Pittsburgh and Cincy in one quick tie-breaker, giving Cleveland the nod from the AFC north. They would then have to beat out the Jets only, because the Chargers lose to Cleveland this year. Because the Jets already have a 4-5 conference record, the only way they could beat out Cleveland if Cleveland wins out is if the Jets also win out. If the teams all wind up tied at 8-8, Cleveland will get the tie-breaker!

--Now we get to the last possible AFC playoff team, the Chargers. With a head-to-head victory over the Steelers, and a loss to the Bengals, their only hope of playoffs starts simply: The Steelers need to beat the Bengals and no one else, and the Bengals need to lose all 3 remaining games. In addition, the Browns need to lose to the Broncos in Week 16, and the Chargers need to win all three of their games.

Can't they all be that simple?

Summary

The Patriots are probably the favorite for the #1 seed right now, Houston is the favorite for the #2 (based of how the teams have been playing and what's likely to happen). The #3 seed will almost certainly be the winner of the Broncos-Ravens game, and the #4 seed will likely be the loser. The #5 seed will almost definitely be Indy, but it could also be the Texans. The #6 seed, based off remaining schedules is likely to be Pittsburgh based off remaining schedule, but it's really more likely to be whoever wins that week 16 matchup. If Cincy can win their next two games though, they become the favorites. The Jets need a lot of complicated help, but if they win out their odds improve a lot. A loss all but eliminates the Jets. The Browns still have a small shot, and the Chargers are alive but have practically no chance at making the playoffs.

Who to root for this week

We're already in the playoffs as a top 4 seed, so who to root for this week is really all a matter of your own opinion of our potential opponents. To me, it's either #1 or #2 seed or bust for us. I don't want to be the #3 seed and play New England if they're the #2, but I don't want to be the #4 seed and play New England if they're #1. So that makes everything pretty complicated, but as of now, we're alive for the top 2 seeds so we might as well root for ourselves to win.

So, in this order:

1) Denver--A win could put us over New England if they lose to the 49ers
2) San Francisco-A win over the Pats would put us in GREAT shape to be seeded over them and get a 1st round bye.
3) Indy--If we can beat Baltimore and Indy beats the Texans we're, at the very least, in a 3 way tie with Houston and New England. They both have the tie-breaker over us, but it puts us in a better position if Houston loses either of its last two games.

Now it's all about who you want to play. I think the Browns would be the weakest opponent we could play, then the Jets (even though I don't want to see them make the playoffs), then the Bengals, then the Steelers. Based off that, here's what we want:

4) Cleveland over Washington
5) Jets over Titans
6) Philly over Cincy
7) Dallas over Pittsburgh

That's all for this week, if anyone sees anything they think is inaccurate or has any questions, let me know.

Az Snake
12-12-2012, 12:18 AM

Good job RYO ! That is a lot of hard work.
I look forward to your weekly assessments again this year.

~~~

I don't mind if the Broncos don't get a bye. If they do, fine.
There is something to that old saying, "rest makes rust".
I don't really care in which seed Denver winds up.

Never was a big fan of the team making the playoffs through back door either.
Of course, if that's the only way to get there, I'll take it.

I have a good feeling about the Raven's game. Broncos will win.
Then it's on with Cleveland and Denver has to watch out for KC.

The Broncos are not same team that played Atlanta, Houston and New England earlier in the season.
Falcons won by 6 points in week 2; Texans won by 6 points in week 3.

I'd rather see Denver win out the next 7 games than get a bye.
I'd prefer to see the Broncos get out of the gate fast and put up a lot of points fast.
Then, rest some of the starters by alternating them in the 2nd halves or even sitting them down.
That way, some of the backups get live game reps in the end of the regular season.

I also have a good feeling that we are about to see some new "wrinkles" in Denver's offense.
We may see a few in the Ravens game. By playoff time the Broncos will show some looks that have never been seen on film.
I'm not talking about Fox and his OC's playbook. I'm talking original Coach PFM's plays.
If the Broncos' road goes through NE, the Pats will not recognize the Denver team that they bested 31-21 in week 5.
The first half of this season, the Bronco teammates were just getting to know each other and learning the system.
Now, Peyton and the team are well acquainted. Peyton knows the strengths of the offense and each player's capabilities.
Manning will reveal variations of his new playbook and implement new ones each week.

In order for the Broncos to succeed, they will have to earn it.
They will earn it by exercising self-control, discipline, repeated execution and willpower.
That means no mistakes, eliminating costly penalties and winning the turnover margin.
Focus.

If the Broncos do not get a bye, so be it; Denver has to take on all comers head on.
The Broncos' offense builds the lead and keeps running up the score.
The Broncos' defense creates pressure, confusion and forces opponents' mistakes.
The Broncos' special teams makes big plays.

Help ? The Broncos don't want any help.
Denver will go in through the front door.

GO BRONCOS !!!

Poet
12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
6) Philly over Cincy

We got problems.

Davii
12-12-2012, 12:57 AM
We got problems.

But a bitch ain't one.

Poet
12-12-2012, 01:05 AM
But a bitch ain't one.

I agree, OR is not a problem.

Chef Zambini
12-12-2012, 02:23 AM
I just finished lunch with roger, (goodel)
he assures me that the season will not end today,
or tomorrow,
and the teams will finish playing the rest of the season as scheduled.

So lets just focus on the teams we are scheduled to play each week and focus our energy on beating them.

I like the comment about going thru the front door !
knock=knock-bytches !

SR
12-12-2012, 08:05 AM
I just finished lunch with roger, (goodel)
he assures me that the season will not end today,
or tomorrow,
and the teams will finish playing the rest of the season as scheduled.

So lets just focus on the teams we are scheduled to play each week and focus our energy on beating them.

I like the comment about going thru the front door !
knock=knock-bytches !

Geez...Debbie Downer.

Good work RYO. It is nice to be able to read these posts again. Fact of the matter is NE is a scary football team.

MasterShake
12-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Nice breakdown, but its hard to tell how seeding affects the playoffs. Found this nice chart of the Super Bowl winners from the past decade:

2010 — No. 6 Packers over No. 2 Steelers

2009 — No. 1 Saints over No. 1 Colts

2008 — No. 2 Steelers over No. 4 Cardinals

2007 -– No. 5 Giants over No. 1 Patriots

2006 — No. 3 Colts over No. 1 Bears

2005 — No. 6 Steelers over No. 1 Seahawks

2004 — No. 2 Patriots over No. 1 Eagles

2003 — No. 1 Patriots over No. 3 Panthers

2002 — No. 2 Buccaneers over No. 1 Raiders

2001 — No. 2 Patriots over No. 1 Rams

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2012/01/10/just-two-no-1-seeds-won-super-bowl-in-past-decade/

Looks like only two #1 seeds have won in that time frame, but the #2 seed seems to fare a little better. Looks like the consistent trend is that you have to get hot at the right time (like the Giants, Steelers, Greenbay). I think it would be nice to have that week off, so lets hope that things shake out for the #2 seed.

Az Snake
12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
'

Hot and healthy.
That's the ticket.

zbeg
12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
I also kind of want the Chargers to win so they'll finish 8-8 and save Norv Turner's job. While seeing the Chargers win is never particularly fun, I'm willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gains. Which is to have Norv be the guy next year.

Save Norv!

RunYouOver
12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I also kind of want the Chargers to win so they'll finish 8-8 and save Norv Turner's job. While seeing the Chargers win is never particularly fun, I'm willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gains. Which is to have Norv be the guy next year.

Save Norv!

I think even if they somehow finish 8-8 and make the playoffs...they'd still have to win the super bowl to save his job. Unfortunately, we made sure he wouldn't be back with our first win over them this season.

cmc0605
12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Good analysis. I actually don't think it's farfetched for us to win out. Baltimore stands in the way, but I can't see us losing the last two. If anyone gets in Denvers way, it's going to be Denver-- fumbling, dropping everything, and whatever else they do when they decide to not show up...but that sort of stuff seems early season now.

I also think NE wins out... again, this is especially true if they get past the Niners this week. San Fran's rookie QB is good, but I think he's going to have a tough time against the Pats, and they got way too much offensive weaponry for almost anyone to handle. I can see Houston dropping one but not two. They're too good of a team, regardless of what happened on monday.

That said, I'd love the #1 or #2 seed, moreso for the home field advantage than for the bye. Playing most of the games in Denver is a lot more advantageous than playing everywhere else. If we're playing for one of those spots though, it's absolutely essential we win out.

zbeg
12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I think even if they somehow finish 8-8 and make the playoffs...they'd still have to win the super bowl to save his job. Unfortunately, we made sure he wouldn't be back with our first win over them this season.

They were on the ropes last year and had a strong finish to save Norv's job. I suppose it's too much to hope for that it happens again.