PDA

View Full Version : The worst foods your parents tried to feed you

gnomeflinger
12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
My parents tried to feed me liver.

shank
12-11-2012, 01:18 PM
west has a story about his uncle pete that beats anyone else' contribution to this thread.

SoCalImport
12-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Betting that liver comes up a lot. No contest. It's liver ftw.

Davii
12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Same, liver and onions.

WTE
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
My dad used to love liver and onions and always thought others should like it to. He soaked it in milk overnight and then floured and fried it. Just the thought of eating an internal organ disgusted me.

NightTerror218
12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
spinach

Davii
12-11-2012, 03:35 PM
My dad used to love liver and onions and always thought others should like it to. He soaked it in milk overnight and then floured and fried it. Just the thought of eating an internal organ disgusted me.

Not to mention the smell. That smell is forever seared into my subconscious mind.

NightTrainLayne
12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Growing up we had to eat liver once a month. My Dad would bread it and fry it in bacon grease, with a bunch of onions.

I didn't like it, but I could stomach it.

The one thing I couldn't ever eat was sweet potatoes. Something about the texture of them would instantly make me gag. I just couldn't do it.

For several years, I got out of eating sweet potatoes, and my parents hardly ever made them. But for some crazy reason, one night when I was about 10-11 my Dad made sweet potatoes, and then decided that I HAD to try them again, and made be finish off a serving at the end of my meal.

I gagged, and choked them down as best I could. My Dad, in his know-it-all fashion proclaimed that I was faking it (I wasn't). Finally, I got the last bite down, and before I could push back from the table, my entire meal came up, and I up-chucked all over the plate and table.

My Dad's response was, "Well, I guess I won't make you eat that again."

I gave him the dirtiest look I ever remember giving to my parents.

CoachChaz
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I guess I was lucky. Never really forced to eat anything I didnt like. Except when I was 13 and my Dad caught me smoking and made me eat cigar tobacco in milk. That sucked a little.

Ravage!!!
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
broccoli...

BroncoJoe
12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I ate pretty much anything my Mom would make. I always hated lent though - to this day I don't like fish. Any kind.

weazel
12-11-2012, 04:02 PM
I like liver.... and kidney. I will pretty much try anything at least once but I really dont like polenta, brussel sprouts, yams or sweet potatoes.
The one thing I would absolutely never eat is pigs feet.

BroncoJoe
12-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Ug. Brussel sprouts. I forgot about those nasty little balls of vomit. My kids and wife love them. Just the smell makes me want to throwup.

CoachChaz
12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Ug. Brussel sprouts. I forgot about those nasty little balls of vomit. My kids and wife love them. Just the smell makes me want to throwup.

My first wife was like that with sauerkraut. To this day...if I know she is coming by to get the kids or drop them off...I make sure I have some on the stove.

WTE
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM

I used to hate brussel sprouts but now I like them. They need to be fresh. Trader Joe's sells them on the stalk and they're excellent. Bake them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

BroncoJoe
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I used to hate brussel sprouts but now I like them. They need to be fresh. Trader Joe's sells them on the stalk and they're excellent. Bake them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

No thanks.

gnomeflinger
12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I hated brussel sprouts and lima beans as a kid. I don't hate them now, but I'm not going to choose to eat them if I have another option.

slim
12-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Nothing comes to mind. My mom was a pretty good cook and she didn't like liver or brussel sprouts either, so none of us had to eat them :D

gnomeflinger
12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
My kids will never have to eat liver, brussel sprouts, or lima beans.

slim
12-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't think I have ever had liver.

I have tried fried chicken gizzards, although I have no idea WTF a gizzard is.

WTE
12-11-2012, 05:03 PM
I hate lima beans and lentils. Can't stand lentil soup.

Davii
12-11-2012, 06:57 PM

Muscled part of a bird stomach for mashing and grinding food.

Davii
12-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Outside of liver, my Dad is Canadian, so he and my grandmother both used to put butter on every type of sandwich, it was gross. Less gross was vinegar on fries.

Dreadnought
12-11-2012, 08:11 PM
I ate pretty much anything my Mom would make. I always hated lent though - to this day I don't like fish. Any kind.

I hate any and all seafood, so I'm with you there. Ditto on the Liver and Lima beans. Another abomination I grew up with was baked Prem, a cheap competitor of Spam, which my Mom would put pineapple rings, cherries, and brown sugar on, as if it was a real ham. Powdered milk also sucked the big one. My mom would sneak it into milk bottles and swear it was the real article. No way in Hell you can pull that one off!

I eat a lot of Cheese and Crackers during Lent.

turftoad
12-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Ha ha, when I was young my Mom used to call them "Muscle builders". My brother and I ate the hell out of them! She was a smart woman.

turftoad
12-11-2012, 08:35 PM

WTE, try them on the grill on a veggie cooking tray prepared the same way. Good stuff !

Chef Zambini
12-12-2012, 04:41 AM
I was never forced to eat anything.
I love liver and onions. I cant stand lima beans or okra, the snot vegetable.

WTE
12-12-2012, 06:30 AM
WTE, try them on the grill on a veggie cooking tray prepared the same way. Good stuff !

I will. After work yesterday I bought some brussel sprouts and made them with that asian style chicken thighs Tink spoke about in the What's For Dinner thread.

weazel
12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Outside of liver, my Dad is Canadian, so he and my grandmother both used to put butter on every type of sandwich, it was gross. Less gross was vinegar on fries.

wha???? he was Canadian so he put butter on every type of sandwich? I don't get it, never heard of that. I'm Canadian and the only sandwich I have ever put butter on is a grilled cheese and that was on the outside to grill the bread.

Maybe it's an Eastern thing, I will have to ask my relatives that live out there. Sounds disgusting, like mayonaise

Thnikkaman
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
broccoli...

You must be a taster.

Thnikkaman
12-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Lima beans and peas to this day trigger my gag reflex. I can't eat them unless they are in a Pot pie. Don't know why.

Also on my list of gross things I had to eat as a kid:

Liver and Onions
Turkey and rice soup
Fresh Water Fish. I have become much better about fish these days (I love raw tuna and salmon), but I still cannot stand Bass or Trout.

weazel
12-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Lima beans and peas to this day trigger my gag reflex. I can't eat them unless they are in a Pot pie. Don't know why.

Also on my list of gross things I had to eat as a kid:

Liver and Onions
Turkey and rice soup
Fresh Water Fish. I have become much better about fish these days (I love raw tuna and salmon), but I still cannot stand Bass or Trout.

was the fresh water fish you ate out of warmer waters? That would probably explain it.

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 12:44 PM
wha???? he was Canadian so he put butter on every type of sandwich? I don't get it, never heard of that. I'm Canadian and the only sandwich I have ever put butter on is a grilled cheese and that was on the outside to grill the bread.

Maybe it's an Eastern thing, I will have to ask my relatives that live out there. Sounds disgusting, like mayonaise

Negative on the butter thing, at least from a Quebecer. Vinegar on fries though, now that's a different story.

Thnikkaman
12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
was the fresh water fish you ate out of warmer waters? That would probably explain it.

Nope. The Eagle River by Glenwood Springs isn't all that warm from October - March. And honestly it's a texture thing for me, I do not like the texture of super flaky fish.

weazel
12-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Nope. The Eagle River by Glenwood Springs isn't all that warm from October - March. And honestly it's a texture thing for me, I do not like the texture of super flaky fish.

gets caught up in the hair on your tongue? Probably not a bad thing though, nobody should eat more than one fresh water fish a month anyway, too much mercury in the water systems now.

Davii
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Maybe an eastern coast thing. I know my Dad grew up near Niagra and Montreal.

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Maybe an eastern coast thing. I know my Dad grew up near Niagra and Montreal.

I'm from the Montreal area and that's not a thing there

weazel
12-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm from the Montreal area and that's not a thing there

I'm thinking it was a family thing...

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking it was a family thing...

Me too and it's gross.

WTE
12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
20 years from now Pags' daughter will be on a Chorus message board and someone will create a "The worst foods your parents tried to feed you" thread and she will answer, "Parmigiano-Reggiano that was really an American made imitation!"

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 03:07 PM
20 years from now Pags' daughter will be on a Chorus message board and someone will create a "The worst foods your parents tried to feed you" thread and she will answer, "Parmigiano-Reggiano that was really an American made imitation!"

A chorus message board? Really ?

slim
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM

They made me eat mac and cheese from a box!

Can you believe it!

Thnikkaman
12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
gets caught up in the hair on your tongue? Probably not a bad thing though, nobody should eat more than one fresh water fish a month anyway, too much mercury in the water systems now.

You should be happy, more for you.

I don't know what it is, but the texture of flaky fish just doesn't sit with me.

BroncoNut
12-12-2012, 03:15 PM
My parents tried to feed me liver.

is hannibal lector your dad or something?

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Can you believe it!

You're just mad your mother didn't love you as much..

NightTerror218
12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I bet Pags kids would say his cooking.

slim
12-12-2012, 03:17 PM
You're just mad your mother didn't love you as much..

If I complained about store bought mac and cheese, my mom would have bloodied my lip.

WTE
12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
A chorus message board? Really ?

Oh they're out there Pags.

Took me two seconds to find this one.

http://www.choralnet.org/list/forum

I might register as WTE. Should I?

BroncoNut
12-12-2012, 03:19 PM

it's the esophagus/stomach organ of a bird I think.

slim
12-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Let's do it, WTE. Let's troll that mother to the ground!

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
If I complained about store bought mac and cheese, my mom would have bloodied my lip.

Alright lets set the record straight. Her mother made her home made mac and cheese from a young age. Boxed mac and cheese has never been in our cupboards. She won't eat boxed if someone offers it to her out of the house, she'll just politely decline saying she isn't hungry.

slim
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
it's the esophagus/stomach organ of a bird I think.

Yeah, Davii said something like that. They taste like shit, that is all I know.

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 03:21 PM

lol they won't know what hit them

slim
12-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Alright lets set the record straight. Her mother made her home made mac and cheese from a young age. Boxed mac and cheese has never been in our cupboards. She won't eat boxed if someone offers it to her out of the house, she'll just politely decline saying she isn't hungry.

Can you get me the recipe for the homemade stuff?

My kid likes mac and cheese and I don't feel it's right that he has to suffer through years and years of boxed mac and cheese.

There should be a law.

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Can you get me the recipe for the homemade stuff?

My kid likes mac and cheese and I don't feel it's right that he has to suffer through years and years of boxed mac and cheese.

There should be a law.

I can ask my wife. She always would say it's just as easy to make fresh with real cheese instead of that chemical crap they throw in those boxes.

slim
12-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I can ask my wife. She always would say it's just as easy to make fresh with real cheese instead of that chemical crap they throw in those boxes.

Yeah, the boxed stuff isn't very good. I usually start with that and add in some real cheese to make it taste better. I like to add parmesan cheese and a little cheddar.

WTE
12-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I tried making home made mac and cheese last year. I bought $10.00 worth of cheese. It was awful. Threw it away. About 5 pounds of the stuff.

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
I tried making home made mac and cheese last year. I bought $10.00 worth of cheese. It was awful. Threw it away. About 5 pounds of the stuff.

Alright well then I will ask my wife for her recipe because it's really good!

slim
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Maybe you didn't make it right? Did the recipe call for tomato soup?

PatriotsGuy
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Try this it looks like what she does http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-mac-and-cheese/

slim
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Try this it looks like what she does http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-mac-and-cheese/

That looks pretty good. I might throw in some bacon or some diced ham or something...but that is a good starting point.

Edit: WTE, that recipe calls for paprika, so it might be too spicy for you.

WTE
12-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Let's do it, WTE. Let's troll that mother to the ground!

I did register and created a thread called Worst Foods Your Parents Made You Eat but new threads are moderated and I guess mine wasn't accepted.

Too bad, that looked like the Granddaddy of them all of Choral message boards.

weazel
12-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Can you believe it!

I don't eat boxed mac and cheese, but my daughter loves that garbage. She will not eat the homemade stuff though, kids be crazy.

but hey... in Canada we dont call that boxed stuff mac and cheese, it's called Kraft Dinner. I dont know why.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0Pl-yMJ3NFg/TWPVYpCW0_I/AAAAAAAAJr8/OCwIWgY5esM/s1600/KraftDinner.png

that being said...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FNfolP-tQxM/SsN0J6m8AYI/AAAAAAAAFao/_Hj9bbpenBw/s400/kraft+Dinner.jpg

slim
12-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't eat boxed mac and cheese, but my daughter loves that garbage. She will not eat the homemade stuff though, kids be crazy.

but hey... in Canada we dont call that boxed stuff mac and cheese, it's called Kraft Dinner. I dont know why.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0Pl-yMJ3NFg/TWPVYpCW0_I/AAAAAAAAJr8/OCwIWgY5esM/s1600/KraftDinner.png

that being said...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FNfolP-tQxM/SsN0J6m8AYI/AAAAAAAAFao/_Hj9bbpenBw/s400/kraft+Dinner.jpg

Yeah, you Canadians are werid....like how you call cheese fries with gravy "poutine".

Davii
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Me too and it's gross.

All these years I thought it was a Canada thing and now you're telling me that my Grandmother was just gross?

That cuts deep Pags.

Davii
12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
If I had a million dollars

We wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner

But we would eat Kraft Dinner

Of course we would, we'd just eat more

And buy really expensive ketchups with it.

slim
12-12-2012, 05:33 PM

That's funny, I have heard that song a million times and I guess I never realized they were talking about mac and cheese.

WTE
12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
That's funny, I have heard that song a million times and I guess I never realized they were talking about mac and cheese.

I never heard that before in my life. I thought Davii was losing it.

slim
12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I never heard that before in my life. I thought Davii was losing it.

http://youtu.be/nCImrmR63JE

WTE
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Nope. Never heard it. It sucks.

slim
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Not my favorite song either. But it's better than anything by DMB

WTE
12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Yup, the mean moderator at the Choral message board deleted my thread.

I just saw the status

http://choralnet.org/view/406391

Davii
12-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Yeah, during live shows at that point of the song people used to throw macaroni at the stage. The band said it hurt so they set up food donation boxes at their shows and always got the full of Kraft Dinner boxes.

gnomeflinger
12-12-2012, 06:16 PM

If I had a million dollars, I'd be rich.

gnomeflinger
12-12-2012, 06:17 PM

I didn't know Dortoh was in a video! I miss Dortoh.

Davii
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
If I had a million dollars, I'd be rich.

I'd buy you an exotic pet, like a llama or an emu

Buff
12-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I hate big game. Deer and elk taste like they smell when they are hanging in a garage. Very gamey. Antelope is even worse. A lot of families used it as a beef substitute in the community I grew up in.

My dad always thought he could slip in elk meat into certain dishes like chili and it is/was gross. He tried it again a couple years ago when I was visiting and I got pretty pissed at him. Like, I've said a million times that I don't like it, why do you insist on trying to force it on me even as an effing adult? Come to think of it, I don't think my dad likes me very much...

NightTrainLayne
12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
I'd buy you an exotic pet, like a llama or an emu

I'd buy you a green dress
But not a real green dress, that's cruel.

Davii
12-12-2012, 08:56 PM

So you're saying you don't appreciate Barenaked Ladies?

gnomeflinger
12-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I think WTE doesn't appreciate anything Canadian, on principal. He's jealous of Pags.

Davii
12-12-2012, 09:12 PM
I think WTE doesn't appreciate anything Canadian, on principal. He's jealous of Pags.

I think not appreciating Barenaked Ladies has more to do with him being a Tom Brady admirer...

tomjonesrocks
12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Growing up we had to eat liver once a month. My Dad would bread it and fry it in bacon grease, with a bunch of onions.

I didn't like it, but I could stomach it.

The one thing I couldn't ever eat was sweet potatoes. Something about the texture of them would instantly make me gag. I just couldn't do it.

For several years, I got out of eating sweet potatoes, and my parents hardly ever made them. But for some crazy reason, one night when I was about 10-11 my Dad made sweet potatoes, and then decided that I HAD to try them again, and made be finish off a serving at the end of my meal.

I gagged, and choked them down as best I could. My Dad, in his know-it-all fashion proclaimed that I was faking it (I wasn't). Finally, I got the last bite down, and before I could push back from the table, my entire meal came up, and I up-chucked all over the plate and table.

My Dad's response was, "Well, I guess I won't make you eat that again."

I gave him the dirtiest look I ever remember giving to my parents.

I had the exact same thing happen with canned zucchini in tomato sauce I was forced to eat. Threw up everywhere.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YIQNvXlFH9g/ToXYfPSEAEI/AAAAAAAAC8U/DRDToXGWj9M/s1600/canned+zucchini.jpg

WTE
12-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I think not appreciating Barenaked Ladies has more to do with him being a Tom Brady admirer...

Never really listened to them. I'm old school. I still play the CD's that I burnt back in the 90's. I remember buying a Yamaha burner for $400.00 back in 1997. I had to open up my desktop and install it. I usually suck at stuff like that.

Thnikkaman
12-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Never really listened to them. I'm old school. I still play the CD's that I burnt back in the 90's. I remember buying a Yamaha burner for $400.00 back in 1997. I had to open up my desktop and install it. I usually suck at stuff like that.

Waste of money. Should have gone with the Plextor or LightOn burner.

WTE
12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Waste of money. Should have gone with the Plextor or LightOn burner.

That's good. Not sure if you're serious or not. Back then you paid for speed when you bought a burner. That Yamaha was top of the line. I think it was 16X.

I'm not even sure if they still sell burners and if they're still priced by speed.

Thnikkaman
12-12-2012, 10:20 PM
That's good. Not sure if you're serious or not. Back then you paid for speed when you bought a burner. That Yamaha was top of the line. I think it was 16X.

I'm not even sure if they still sell burners and if they're still priced by speed.

Plextor was the fastest and burned the least amount of coasters until LightOn took over in '98. Then you could get a quick and reliable burner for < $80. Yes they still sell burners, Blu Ray burners.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136249

Davii
12-12-2012, 11:05 PM

When you were courting your spouse did you make her mix tapes?

Chef Zambini
12-12-2012, 11:22 PM
no, he used duct tape !
when you say 'courting' he is thinking, restraining order.

Davii
12-12-2012, 11:44 PM
no, he used duct tape !
when you say 'courting' he is thinking, restraining order.

He's a Patriots fan Zam, not a Raiders fan.

WTE
12-12-2012, 11:50 PM

How'd you guess! I made her several. Shit I would never listen to. A bunch w/ chicks named Paula and Sarah, Tory and Mazzy. Mazzy Star. I did like Mazzy's name. Thought it was cool. I have a story about that name someday, but not now. Right now I'm going to bed.

Goodnight Davii.

Davii
12-13-2012, 12:54 AM
How'd you guess! I made her several. Shit I would never listen to. A bunch w/ chicks named Paula and Sarah, Tory and Mazzy. Mazzy Star. I did like Mazzy's name. Thought it was cool. I have a story about that name someday, but not now. Right now I'm going to bed.

Goodnight Davii.

Sleep well WTE.

To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.

Thnikkaman
12-13-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has asked what a "taster" is yet.

WTE
12-13-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't remember the word taster mentioned.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 09:06 AM
All these years I thought it was a Canada thing and now you're telling me that my Grandmother was just gross?

That cuts deep Pags.

No no, I'm sure she was a lovely woman, she was Canadian after all. But just so I understand this, are you saying she would put butter on all sandwiches? So if she was making say a roast beef sandwich, she'd butter the bread?

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't remember the word taster mentioned.

Me either

Thnikkaman
12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Ok, so I pose the question, "Does broccoli taste horrible to you?"

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 09:41 AM
No broccoli doesn't taste horrible to me and lol at everyone just getting the Kraft dinner reference in the BNL song.

Thnikkaman
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
So I think 40% of humans have this gene that makes them sensitive to a compound found in broccoli and other vegetables that makes those vegetables taste very bitter. So if someone says that broccoli is horrible, it's likely they carry this gene.

Davii
12-13-2012, 10:27 AM
No no, I'm sure she was a lovely woman, she was Canadian after all. But just so I understand this, are you saying she would put butter on all sandwiches? So if she was making say a roast beef sandwich, she'd butter the bread?

A typical sandwich would "look" like this:

Bread
Butter
Cheese
Roast beef
Butter
Bread

Or

Bread
Butter
Jelly
Peanut butter
Butter
Bread

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Interesting I guess they wouldn't like broccoli rabe/rapini either then.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 10:29 AM
A typical sandwich would "look" like this:

Bread
Butter
Cheese
Roast beef
Butter
Bread

Or

Bread
Butter
Jelly
Peanut butter
Butter
Bread

Oh dear

Davii
12-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies

Davii
12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Oh dear

It was terrible. I don't think I ate my lunch I brought to school in second through fourth grades, or at least not the sandwich.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I feel for you man, that's just not right.

Davii
12-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I feel for you man, that's just not right.

I think I'll still blame Canada. I do love BNL though, have since Gordon in the 90s.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I think I'll still blame Canada. I do love BNL though, have since Gordon in the 90s.

Do you have their Christmas album? I love it.

Thnikkaman
12-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Interesting I guess they wouldn't like broccoli rabe/rapini either then.

Radishes and Mustard Greens are in this group of veggies as well. Poor tasters.

Davii
12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Do you have their Christmas album? I love it.

I don't have the album but I have listened to most of it, definitely more fun than your typical Christmas music.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Radishes and Mustard Greens are in this group of veggies as well. Poor tasters.

Sucks to be them

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't have the album but I have listened to most of it, definitely more fun than your typical Christmas music.

We were listening to it while decorating the tree last week. Fun stuff. WTE is pretty dumb.

slim
12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
So I think 40% of humans have this gene that makes them sensitive to a compound found in broccoli and other vegetables that makes those vegetables taste very bitter. So if someone says that broccoli is horrible, it's likely they carry this gene.

I didn't know this.

Personally, I like broccoli.

Dreadnought
12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
The bad memories flood back...

Stewed Tomatoes. Straight from the can, in a side dish. Blech.

Succotash, or what in my dad's view passed for succotash. Corn, Lima Beans, and glob after glob after glob of blubbery salt pork, all boiled in milk. It was a heinous mess.

Junket. My dad loved the stuff. Its a dessert custard made from cow's digestive enzymes, and its gross
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junket_%28dessert%29

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh man dread that's some bad sounding food all around.

WTE
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Oh man dread that's some bad sounding food all around.

Yeah I can kinda relate. He previously mentioned powdered milk and my parents pulled that crap on us b/c we had a large family and would go through 2 to 3 gallons of regular milk a day. That consumption went way down when they went with 1/2 powder/ half regular. It was disgusting.

and my dad would throw stewed tomatoes in nearly every pasta dish he made. Yuck! Would burn my mouth too.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't specifically remember foods that we had but we had no money so I'm sure there was a lot of crap

Davii
12-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I remember a dish called Goulash (sounded like goo-law-sh) that was basically the cheapest thing that could be made. Macaroni, ground meat, some tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes, spices, and voila.... It really wasn't bad as I recall but it was definitely a "short paycheck what's in the cupboard" meal.

WTE
12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
My parents also always made a big bowl of salad b/c I'm sure they thought it was nutritious. However, they always bought iceberg lettuce and I don't think they realized iceberg has very little nutritional value compared to your darker green varieties.

WTE
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I remember a dish called Goulash (sounded like goo-law-sh) that was basically the cheapest thing that could be made. Macaroni, ground meat, some tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes, spices, and voila.... It really wasn't bad as I recall but it was definitely a "short paycheck what's in the cupboard" meal.

That's American Chop Suey and was on our menu once a week. I could inhale the stuff. Still do.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 11:47 AM
I remember eating a lot of frozen fish sticks and french fries

Thnikkaman
12-13-2012, 11:50 AM

For us, that was shouf noodles, or known to the rest of the world as spaetzle.

WTE
12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I remember eating a lot of frozen fish sticks and french fries

Those were the days when fish sticks sucked! All breading and fake fish. Nowadays there's some that aren't that bad if you make it into a sandwich w/ lettuce, tomato, mayo & cheese.

Dreadnought
12-13-2012, 11:59 AM

My Mom made the same, but she threw in a block of Velveeta and chopped onions and called it "Muddle" That was mighty fine, in truth, and I still make it. Another cheap treat was "Slop", basically ground beef and onions fried together with some water then poured over mashed potatoes. That was pretty good too.

Not so good was canned Dinty Moore beef stew baked with a Bisquick topping, nor flank steak (or some other cheap cut) simmered in an electric skillet with the ever present canned stewed tomatoes throw in for who the Hell knows what reason. Mom called it "Swiss steak" but I hold the Swiss blameless. Tuna casserole (tuna, canned peas, Campbell's mushroom soup, noodles) is a dish I swear I will never eat again, so help me God.

Thnikkaman
12-13-2012, 12:00 PM
My Mom made the same, but she threw in a block of Velveeta and chopped onions and called it "Muddle" That was mighty fine, in truth, and I still make it. Another cheap treat was "Slop", basically ground beef and onions fried together with some water then poured over mashed potatoes. That was pretty good too.

Not so good was canned Dinty Moore beef stew baked with a Bisquick topping, nor flank steak (or some other cheap cut) simmered in an electric skillet with the ever present canned stewed tomatoes throw in for who the Hell knows what reason. Mom called it "Swiss steak" but I hold the Swiss blameless. Tuna casserole (tuna, canned peas, Campbell's mushroom soup, noodles) is a dish I swear I will never eat again, so help me God.

I had a babysitter that would serve us tuna casserole. I gagged a little bit just now thinking about it.

weazel
12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Bread
Butter
Jelly
Peanut butter
Butter
Bread

Sorry, but I threw up after reading that.

Davii
12-13-2012, 02:04 PM
We really sound like a bunch of ungrateful ********. No matter how tough times were I never went hungry. I might've, at times, had some hand me downs, but I never went without. Thanks Mom and Dad!

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
We really sound like a bunch of ungrateful ********. No matter how tough times were I never went hungry. I might've, at times, had some hand me downs, but I never went without. Thanks Mom and Dad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

WTE
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Davii I might have told you that every Marine Corps birthday my dad would make us Shit on a Shingle. I loved that stuff. I would like to make it again. How do you make it?

slim
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Yeah, no kidding. We were poor as shit, but we never went hungry.

I bet people like Pags and NTL can't even imagine that.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah, no kidding. We were poor as shit, but we never went hungry.

I bet people like Pags and NTL can't even imagine that.

bet we were poorer than you

slim
12-13-2012, 02:15 PM
bet we were poorer than you

OK, how much should we bet?

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
OK, how much should we bet?

I don't know, but how are we going to prove it? We were pretty poor man.

slim
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't know, but how are we going to prove it? We were pretty poor man.

Yeah, so were we. I don't know how you could prove such a thing, though.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, so were we. I don't know how you could prove such a thing, though.

I'm the youngest of 8 kids, my dad never owned a house. I lived on hand me down crap.

Thankfully I'm now an elitist

Chef Zambini
12-13-2012, 02:50 PM
poor. please!
I was worse off then both of you and yet my GF would laugh at all 3 of us for suggesting that we had it bad!

she was forced to live in a tent. this in billings montana, and her mom actually gave her away to another family because she could not afford to keep her around, taking up tent space, she was the biggest of 3 siblings, not the oldest, just the biggest.
get back to me when you can top that one !

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
We were evicted from our hole in the ground....

slim
12-13-2012, 02:54 PM
I never lived in a tent or a hole in the ground.

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I never lived in a tent or a hole in the ground.

It's one of the lines in that Monty Python sketch I posted. 4 old guys trying to one up each other on how bad they had it when they were young. The script is here http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

slim
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
It's one of the lines in that Monty Python sketch I posted. 4 old guys trying to one up each other on how bad they had it when they were young. The script is here http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

I missed that. I just watched it though. Pretty funny.

Thnikkaman
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
poor. please!
I was worse off then both of you and yet my GF would laugh at all 3 of us for suggesting that we had it bad!

she was forced to live in a tent. this in billings montana, and her mom actually gave her away to another family because she could not afford to keep her around, taking up tent space, she was the biggest of 3 siblings, not the oldest, just the biggest.

My little brother has spent weeks homeless, and I don't have parents.

Chef Zambini
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
M python wins every arguement !

Davii
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Davii I might have told you that every Marine Corps birthday my dad would make us Shit on a Shingle. I loved that stuff. I would like to make it again. How do you make it?

There have been times that I have eaten SOS (officially known as cream chipped beef) as a delicacy. At no time did anything ever taste better than when you get back from a convoy or other mission during breakfast chow, drop your flak jacket, have some disgusting powered eggs, and some deep fried hash brown patties with the "creamed chipped beef" gravy on top. Man.... Back inside the wire AND a hot meal? Only thing better is the runway at Kuwait International falling away on your flight home.

Thanks for that WTE, good memories.

Anyhow, from a retired Marine GySgt food service chief (aka chow hall and combat cook, aka mess man, aka the guy that got you fed) here's an SOS recipe. Take note, old timers use toasted bread in place of the fried hash brown patty.

1.5 lbs of ground burger
2 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp flour
2 tsp garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Hash brown patties (or toast for old timers)

Fry hash brown patties in vegetable oil (think McD hash brown)

Brown meat, drain. Add butter, stir in onions and cook until translucent, add flour, stir well, cook 2 - 3 mins over medium-low heat. Add garlic, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce, mix thoroughly. Raise heat to medium, add milk and stir until it thickens. Remove from heat, let it sit five minutes, stir again, serve over your hashbrowns or toast.

Eat your authentic Marine Corps chowhall and field mess SOS and think of warriors past.

slim
12-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Have you guys ever seen In Darkness?

Dreadnought
12-13-2012, 03:08 PM

I would go to bed pretty hungry the nights we had that damned Succotash. Hunger isn't as unattractive an option when compared to eating boiled flab and Lima beans. I totally understand my folks didn't have money, and I forgive tuna casserole etc., but not the Succotash.

Chef Zambini
12-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Have you guys ever seen In Darkness?we couldnt afford night vision goggles.

WTE
12-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks Davii I can't wait to make it and yes my dad made it on toasted bread.

BroncoNut
12-13-2012, 03:43 PM
poor. please!

why was she so big if she was so poor?

BroncoNut
12-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm the youngest of 8 kids, my dad never owned a house. I lived on hand me down crap.

Thankfully I'm now an elitist

alot of times people that had upbringings like you (poor) have a flame under their ass pretty early in life. I must have been kinda spoiled I think. I was motivated at times, but genreally kinda lazy.

WTE
12-13-2012, 03:54 PM
alot of times people that had upbringings like you (poor) have a flame under their ass pretty early in life. I must have been kinda spoiled I think. I was motivated at times, but genreally kinda lazy.

Or maybe Pags sucked somebody's dik along the way?

PatriotsGuy
12-13-2012, 04:02 PM
WTF! Ban this DB!

OrangeHoof
12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I used to complain that my mother's meat loaf had not enough meat and too much loaf.

Dad just complained that her cooking was too bland. But that was because she boiled stuff way too long and also because he had bit off part of his tongue in a horse-riding accident as a child and could not taste with the front of his tongue afterwards.

Chef Zambini
12-13-2012, 05:17 PM
why was she so big if she was so poor?tall, not fat.
they lived in a car for a short while then her mom sold the car to get a tent and food.
sorry, guys, no punch line here, this was no comedy schtick.
My mom, married 1 month out of highschool, eloped.
married at 18
first child at 19
me at 20
devorced at 21. she had no job skills or training. she worked 3 jobs to keep an apartment and food in the house.
I remember alot of times when there was no electricity because she could not afford to pay the bill.
But my life was easy compared to what my gal endured.
i didnt have a father but at least I had a mom, who still to this day, i consider the most valuable thing EVER in my life!

the poorest person on earth is an orphan !

gnomeflinger
12-13-2012, 06:42 PM

I forgot about Swiss Steak until this post. I don't remember it being horrible, but I did get it fed to me several times. It was served over egg noodles.

gnomeflinger
12-13-2012, 06:53 PM
A caller called into a Seattle radio station a couple of months ago. I forget what the QOTD was, but the guy mentioned that when he was growing up, he was fed a lot of Hamburger Helper. To make food stretch further, his mom would put maybe 1/4 pound of hamburger in the mix. One night, when he and his wife were newlyweds, she asked what he would like for dinner. He hadn't had Hamburger Helper in a long time, so he said he'd like to have that. He's watching TV while his wife happily made dinner. She placed the plate in front of him, proud as can be. He took a bite and said, "what did you do?" His wife started crying and said she followed the directions on the box. He had to tell her that the food was good, he just didn't know it was made with that much hamburger. He told his mom about this and she laughed, and told him about how she made it.

WTE
12-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I like that scene from National Lampoon's Vacation when Cousin Eddie asks "I don't know why they call this Hamburger Helper when it does just fine on its own"

Oh, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkExpbnjsX8

Chef Zambini
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
dog peed on the sandwiches.
and they pull in to pHX and its pouring rain!

Mr. Gnome
12-13-2012, 09:41 PM
My step-mom would make us eat our cold cereal with juice in it instead of milk. They would buy concentrated apple and grape juice and we put it in our generic cold cereal, like rice chex or cheerios or the like. Not a good mix. I'm sure Gnomey could put a lot of things I was "forced" to eat as a kid, she knows how "great" my step mom was.

weazel
12-17-2012, 06:05 PM
My step-mom would make us eat our cold cereal with juice in it instead of milk. They would buy concentrated apple and grape juice and we put it in our generic cold cereal, like rice chex or cheerios or the like. Not a good mix. I'm sure Gnomey could put a lot of things I was "forced" to eat as a kid, she knows how "great" my step mom was.

WTF? that's cruel and unusual punishment!

Jaws
12-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Swedes.
Force fed as a kid.
"You're not leaving the table until you eat at least one piece"
Nearly 40 years later,they still make me retch! :sick:
For any non Brit English speakers of Scandinavian descent who may take offence, translation supplied. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga)

Dreadnought
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Swedes.
Force fed as a kid.
"You're not leaving the table until you eat at least one piece"
Nearly 40 years later,they still make me retch! :sick:
For any non Brit English speakers of Scandinavian descent who may take offence, translation supplied. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga)

I am a Swede, which is to say, of Nordic extraction, not a rutabaga, nor a turnip (in the U.S.). I only found out youse guys use "Swede" as a word for such gross root vegetables when I went looking for pastie recipes, and found that many call for 'em. They were yet another awful thing Dad loved. My wife still makes him his very own turnip when he comes for Thanksgiving dinner every year

Jaws
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM

I love broccoli so much, if ever I walk down the aisle, my posy of flowers will be bunches of broccoli!
In fact, come think about it, if I'm not hitched by the time I'm 50, I'll ask the broccoli to marry me! :madgrin:

Jaws
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I am a Swede, which is to say, of Nordic extraction, not a rutabaga, nor a turnip (in the U.S.). I only found out youse guys use "Swede" as a word for such gross root vegetables when I went looking for pastie recipes, and found that many call for 'em. They were yet another awful thing Dad loved. My wife still makes him his very own turnip when he comes for Thanksgiving dinner every year

Don't worry Dread, I wouldn't retch or gag if ever you were presented on my table for eating!

gnomeflinger
12-18-2012, 11:43 PM
WTF? that's cruel and unusual punishment!

Yeah. That's pretty tame for the crap she pulled over on him and his sibs. I won't go into it, but she is never allowed contact with any of my family. Ever.

As for food, she would also stick a whole fish in the oven and bake it. No seasonings, no marinade, nothing. He'd have to eat that too. It makes my parents' liver meals not that bad.

Dapper Dan
12-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I've always been fairly picky. My mother always irratated me because it would be something like onions on my burger and she would say "you can't taste it". Buuuullshit. It's a damn onion. You taste that for the rest of the day. My dad was so much better. Mostly because he was/is pickier than I was/am.

shank
12-19-2012, 01:16 AM
west has a story about his uncle pete that beats anyone else' contribution to this thread.

bump so he'll see it now that he's back