PDA

View Full Version : Go, Shanny, Go, Shanny, Go, Shanny, Go!

Joel
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Definitely a shame about RGIII (hopes and prayers he'll be alright soon,) but the Skins brutal OT punt return to set up the game winning FG puts us a game ahead of Baltimore for seeding. Beating them next week would put us ahead two games plus the tiebreak with just two games left, guaranteeing us at least the #3 seed. If Houston manages to beat NE tomorrow, despite facing an elite offense on the road without five defensive starters, we'll be a game up on NE, too, in control of the #2 seed, a first round bye and homefield against anyone but Houston. In fact, if we won and Houston lost the last three games we would actually get the top seed (but that's extremely unlikely; if Houston can handle NE on the road despite all the injuries they should win at least one game against Indy, Minnesota and Indy again.)

Most importantly: Every team I like won (though Dallas and Minnesota probably did it too late to "gain" anything but lower draft picks.) ;) Playoff standings: http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

Simple Jaded
12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
You like Dallas? I know you're old enough to remember Denver's first SB.......

Joel
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
You like Dallas? I know you're old enough to remember Denver's first SB.......
Not quite; that was a couple years before I was born. But, yeah, as noted elsewhere, I'm a Houston native whose father raised him on Landryball. It often got contentious when I was in HS; whenever the Oilers and Cowboys played at the same time my dad wanted to watch Dallas coming back from humilation to their Super Bowl runs and I wanted to watch the Oilers choke away seven straight playoff games (maybe that's why I got my first TV. :tongue:) It's rather nauseating to see what Jerry Jones has done to the Cowboys since Jimmy Johnson, the only guy who could even briefly make him see reason, gave up in frustrated disgust. Jerrys unaccountable prima donnas are the antithesis of Landrys Boy Scouts, but such is life.

jhildebrand
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I took two things from that Wash/Balt game:

1. Holliday could have a very big day against the Ravens if given the opportunity.

2. Miller can have a very big day.

OrangeHoof
12-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Baltimore's loss certainly helps the Broncos and Patriots. If Denver wins next week, they should do no worse than a #3 seed which probably means the Steelers or the Bengals at home. And if you are a season ticket holder and the Steelers are the opponent, you know what that means? It means you can mark up the cost of your playoff tickets and some Steeler yahoo will still pay for it.

honz
12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I took two things from that Wash/Balt game:

1. Holliday could have a very big day against the Ravens if given the opportunity.

2. Miller can have a very big day.
You know what I took from the game? The entire Ravens team sucks icy penguin testicles.

BroncoTech
12-10-2012, 01:32 AM
You know what I took from the game? The entire Ravens team sucks icy penguin testicles.

I took away one of the stadium seats, they aren't bolted down very good.

Chef Zambini
12-10-2012, 02:37 AM
ray rice is a bll buster, and we face him next, thats what I got from the game !

SR
12-10-2012, 08:24 AM
ray rice is a bll buster, and we face him next, thats what I got from the game !

Ray Rice can be taken out of the game if the Broncos get up big quickly. But, since that doesn't ever happen, I expect Rice to be a thorn in the Broncos side.

Tned
12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Ray Rice can be taken out of the game if the Broncos get up big quickly. But, since that doesn't ever happen, I expect Rice to be a thorn in the Broncos side.

Both in the run and pass/screen game. Also, looks like their TE Pitta is having a solid year, and with the exception of the SD & Oak games, TE's have chewed the Broncos up.

SR
12-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Both in the run and pass/screen game. Also, looks like their TE Pitta is having a solid year, and with the exception of the SD & Oak games, TE's have chewed the Broncos up.

Denver held Myers to one catch for seven yards last week and he's one of the premier TEs in the NFL. Lately Denver has done better against TEs, but Pitta does scare me a little bit.

BroncoWave
12-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Baltimore losing doesn't really affect us too much. If we lose to them next week we are still behind them in the pecking order and if we win would like likely have finished ahead of them regardless. If anything their loss may hurt us in the long run, because if we wind up with the two, them losing opens up the door for NE to possibly get the 3, and that would be our second round matchup. Obviously I'm looking ahead, but this Balt loss may wind up not being as great for us as we originally though.

CoachChaz
12-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I we beat them next week and NE loses to Houston or SF...then we are in good shape and get the #2 seed. I'll take that

BroncoNut
12-10-2012, 10:47 AM
balitmore will be a tough game no doubt. The Ravens do not suck at playing football. Need to get into Rice's head early. Put the man DOWN. Dont' let him get those extra yardsafter being tackled. If yoiu can get away with it. step on his hand or something. Play dirty. Ed Reed will be really pumped up to hit some Bronco players I bet.

BroncoNut
12-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Hopefully Pitta well end up compaining about the unethical treatment of ravens this sunday

SR
12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Baltimore losing doesn't really affect us too much. If we lose to them next week we are still behind them in the pecking order and if we win would like likely have finished ahead of them regardless. If anything their loss may hurt us in the long run, because if we wind up with the two, them losing opens up the door for NE to possibly get the 3, and that would be our second round matchup. Obviously I'm looking ahead, but this Balt loss may wind up not being as great for us as we originally though.

I've thought of this as well. If somehow NE can match up with the Steelers, I'd feel ok about it. An experienced team like Pittsburgh, as banged up as they are, could be a good matchup against NE.

weazel
12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
be afraid of Hey diddle diddle, check down Ray Rice down the middle.

Joel
12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Baltimore's loss certainly helps the Broncos and Patriots. If Denver wins next week, they should do no worse than a #3 seed which probably means the Steelers or the Bengals at home. And if you are a season ticket holder and the Steelers are the opponent, you know what that means? It means you can mark up the cost of your playoff tickets and some Steeler yahoo will still pay for it.
Again, Denver clinches a 3+ seed with a win next week, because we'd be two games plus the tiebreak ahead of Baltimore, Pitt and Cincy, with just two games left. Whoever won the AFCN could not catch us.

I would not bet on the Bengals as the #6 seed though, because they still have a game left against Pitt and Baltimore. At least ONE of those games is almost certainly a loss, and Indy is two games ahead of both of them. Granted they still play Houston twice, but have the Chiefs in between; I really don't see Cincy winning their last three, the only way they could match Indy if it gets another win (which would make 10.)

I see your point, but I'm thinking as much about what happens with a Texans win tonight as a Broncos win next week. Forcing NE to play an extra game before playing the rest on the road is good news for all their opponents. This clearly isn't the same team that lost to them earlier this year (IIRC we haven't lost since,) and if they come to us rather than the reverse I like our chances. Assuming Indy or Pitt/Baltimore doesn't beat them first and moot the whole argument (and Baltimore beat them once already this year; the Pats aren't unstoppable.)

I we beat them next week and NE loses to Houston or SF...then we are in good shape and get the #2 seed. I'll take that
That's where I am, but a Broncos/Texans AFCCG might bother you as little as it would me. Pity they couldn't both win, but if it comes to that I'll focus on the fact one MUST win rather than the fact one MUST lose.

Dirk
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
It doesn't matter what I take from this game....

What I know is that North needs to stay away from the Broncos/Ravens game and watch it on TV.

Tned
12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Denver held Myers to one catch for seven yards last week and he's one of the premier TEs in the NFL. Lately Denver has done better against TEs, but Pitta does scare me a little bit.

Yea, against Gates and Myers, the Broncos defense did a really good job and basically shut them out of the game (I think one catch each). Earlier in the year, TE's were cleaning out clocks, averaging over 100 yards a game, or something like that. Hopefully, the recent trend will continue.

Tned
12-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I've thought of this as well. If somehow NE can match up with the Steelers, I'd feel ok about it. An experienced team like Pittsburgh, as banged up as they are, could be a good matchup against NE.

I look at New England the way I looked at Indy back in the mid 2000's, which is that we will have a hard time matching up and beating them, but there are teams that could beat New England that we will matchup well against and could beat.

OrangeHoof
12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking the way to beat NE is the way teams beat Manning's Colts back in the '00s. You get physical with them on both sides of the ball and pound the rock on them. Kepp the ball away from their offense and milk the clock. Houston and Baltimore have the capability to do that. Denver might but it means going away from what they do best which is Manning and the short game.

SR
12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I look at New England the way I looked at Indy back in the mid 2000's, which is that we will have a hard time matching up and beating them, but there are teams that could beat New England that we will matchup well against and could beat.

Exactly. I honestly think that the only other team in the AFC that Denver would have a hard time against is Houston. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Indy don't scare me. It would be glorious if by some stroke of God New England could face Pittsburgh in the first round (a three-seed vs six-seed matchup) and lose.

bcbronc
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking the way to beat NE is the way teams beat Manning's Colts back in the '00s. You get physical with them on both sides of the ball and pound the rock on them. Kepp the ball away from their offense and milk the clock. Houston and Baltimore have the capability to do that. Denver might but it means going away from what they do best which is Manning and the short game.

Only problem here is that NE now has a top 10 rush defense. Definitely need to win TOP but it'll be tough to do on the ground.

If NE doesn't have Gronk, the matchup isn't nearly as daunting. It also looks like JDR has made some scheme tweeks re: TEs so I'm less worried about NE than I was. Still a tough, tough matchup, but so are all the top 5-6 teams in the AFC.

SR
12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Only problem here is that NE now has a top 10 rush defense. Definitely need to win TOP but it'll be tough to do on the ground.

If NE doesn't have Gronk, the matchup isn't nearly as daunting. It also looks like JDR has made some scheme tweeks re: TEs so I'm less worried about NE than I was. Still a tough, tough matchup, but so are all the top 5-6 teams in the AFC.

Tampa had the best rushing defense in the league when we played them and still put up 91 yards as a team on them. I've got confidence Denver would be able to pass against NE. I don't think NE gave Denver's offense very much respect in the first meeting. With everything that has happened in the mean time, I think a re-match would garner a little more respect from NE's defense.