PDA

View Full Version : Future of Broncos' Marshall hangs in balance

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 01:10 AM
By Mike Klis and Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/12/2009 06:29:34 PM MDT
Updated: 08/12/2009 06:38:08 PM MDT

Brandon Marshall faces an uncertain future. (David Zalubowski, The Associated Press )Brandon Marshall wasn't easy to miss as he watched the University of Central Florida football practice Tuesday.

He was the guy wearing the Broncos' T-shirt.

And to think Marshall's team pride has been questioned in recent months.

Marshall's presence at his alma mater's practice in Orlando, Fla., when his Broncos were in training camp at Dove Valley did present a follow up question: How come?

"He was excused," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. "There's nothing Brandon is doing wrong. He's just taking some time to address a personal matter and we've granted him the opportunity to take care of that."

Marshall's personal matter is his trial Thursday on a misdemeanor battery charge in the Georgia State Court of Fulton County in Atlanta. As of this evening, there had been no discussions regarding a settlement or plea arrangement between Marshall, who will be represented by Denver attorney Harvey Steinberg, and the alleged victim, Rasheedah Watley, who will be served by prosecuting attorney Robert Bembridge.
Watley is expected to be among several witnesses to testify before Judge John Mather and a six-person jury that will be selected Thursday.

Although misdemeanor trials usually are heard and ruled upon in one day, both parties are preparing to wait until Friday before the jury receives the case.

It may not be a stretch to call it The Trial of Star Receiver's Career.

Win his trial and Marshall would finally have his lengthy list of criminal charges behind him. Although Marshall must still prove he is recovered from offseason hip surgery, it would not be unreasonable for the Broncos to at least discuss revisiting his contract that has one year and $2.198 million remaining.

But if Marshall should be found guilty, he could be facing not only criminal punishment, but a long suspension from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Marshall's chances of getting his coveted long-term contract with the Broncos or any other team may evaporate.

"Everybody back here in Dove Valley, we're backing him 100 percent," said Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard. "His teammates are behind him. Obviously, we want to see a successful ending and hopefully the verdict ends in a positive way for him. Know that we're like his brothers and will be here praying for him."

Although Steinberg has pulled out some upset victories for Broncos players in the past — most notably forcing the NFL to rescind its one-year suspension of running back Travis Henry for his alleged positive marijuana test in 2007 — the Marshall case presents its challenges.

The battery charge stems from an alleged altercation between Marshall and Watley, his former girlfriend, on March 4, 2008 at Watley's Atlanta apartment.

According to the police report of that incident, Marshall was asked to wait outside the apartment while the officer spoke with Watley and her two sisters inside the apartment.

The police report said Watley had cuts on her lips. Watley and her two sisters said Marshall threw Watley on her bed and grabbed her head. Watley and one sister also said Marshall struck Watley.

When the officer finished interviewing Watley and her sisters, he discovered Marshall was no longer waiting outside.

Besides Watley and her sisters, several other witnesses are expected to be called regarding several prior police-related incidents involving Marshall.

Marshall has said he never touched Watley. It's unclear whether he will testify at his trial, although Steinberg is expected to submit two attorney-drafted "shakedown" letters in which Watley sought $500,000 and $100,000 from the receiver in return for not pressing charges.

Brandon Marshall
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from March 2, 2009.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from March 18, 2007.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from June 8, 2007 at 6:41 a.m.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from June 8, 2007 at 6:53 a.m.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from on June 30, 2007.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from March 5, 2008.
Read a Fulton County incident report from March 4, 2008, detailing a fight that led to Brandon Marshall's injury.
Read an arrest warrant for Marshall on a charge of battery after a domestic dispute.
Compare competing police reports from a 2006 domestic violence case, from Brandon Marshall and Rasheedah Watley.
Read a letter from a former lawyer for Rasheedah Watley seeking compensation for an attack by Marshall.
Read a police report detailing Rasheedah Watley's statement of her and Marshall's violent history.
Read the NFL's "Personal Conduct Policy" for players, coaches and employees
Analyze Brandon Marshall's career stats

GO TO link below to see the link to these reports..

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13047785?source=rss

Dirk
08-13-2009, 05:56 AM
:tsk:

Nothing much to say just.... :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
From Jr's original post:

Marshall has said he never touched Watley. It's unclear whether he will testify at his trial, although Steinberg is expected to submit two attorney-drafted "shakedown" letters in which Watley sought $500,000 and $100,000 from the receiver in return for not pressing charges.

I know nothing about the legal aspect of stuff, but is this not a form of bribery?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Rather than start a new thread, Lindsey Jones of the Denver Post is at the trial, and is sending updates as things progress, to Mike Klis, for him to post.

Here is the latest: Check link for updates

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13052737

Denver Post staff writer Lindsay Jones is in Atlanta covering the trial of Bronco Brandon Marshall on misdemeanor battery charges. She is filing updates with colleague Mike Klis.

The trial is the result of an alleged altercation between Marshall and Rasheedah Watley on March 4, 2008, in Watley's apartment. The right-hand men of Roger Goodell, maybe even the commissioner himself, are paying attention. It's possible a significant portion ofMarshall's 2009 season rests with the outcome of this trial.

10:00 Court recesses for lunch.

9:55 a.m. The six-person jury has been seated. There are four women and two men on the jury.

8:00 a.m. There are 20 potential jurors for the Brandon Marshall trial. Six will be chosen. Brandon Marshall's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, and prosecuting attorney Robert Bembridge and grilling the prospective jurors now.

7:25 a.m. The plaintiff in this case, Rasheedah Watley, arrives with her family. Watley is expected to testify in the trial.

The people were given the "All rise" command for Judge John Mather just as the Watleys walked in.

Judge Mather informed the court this particular misdemeanor trial would take two days, or one day longer than usual.

The first order of business is selecting six people to sit in on the jury. This is expected to take up the rest of the morning, at least.

6:53 a.m. Marshall and his attorney Harvey Steinberg arrive in the courtroom 7 minutes early.

Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, and his fiance, Michi Nogami, are there for support.

Ravage!!!
08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
From Jr's original post:

I know nothing about the legal aspect of stuff, but is this not a form of bribery?

I think thats why Marshal's lawyer is bringing it in, its a form of extortion.

pnbronco
08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks Carol for keeping us posted...

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM
UPDATE: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13052737

11:30 a.m. Opening statements began with Marshall's attorney, Harvey Steinberg of Denver, refering to what he has called shakedown letters. The letters sent to Marshall were drafted by separate attorneys representing Rasheedah Watley, the plaintiff in this case, seeking $100,000 and $500,000 from the Broncos' wide reciever.

"Was this a lottery ticket that was going to be lost?" Steinberg asked.

Prosecuting attorney Robert Bembridge countered in his opening statement to jury: "Keep in mind who is on trial here. The defendant."

Ravage!!!
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
wow.. she even had lawyers draft up her extortion letters?? Hmmm. Strange, to me, that a lawyer would even be involved with that.

Northman
08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
From Jr's original post:

More like Extortion.

Northman
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
wow.. she even had lawyers draft up her extortion letters?? Hmmm. Strange, to me, that a lawyer would even be involved with that.

Nothing should surprise you this day and age. Look at that fellow who was trying to prosecute those kids from Duke University a couple of years ago. He broke all kinds of laws in his tactics to try and gain notoriety.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 02:05 PM

And different lawyers - so, did one draft up the letter demanding $100,000 and another draft up the one demanding $500,000? I am not surprised that lawyers would be involved in that. If Brandon caved in and paid her off, so she would not press charges, the lawyers would get their cut of the pay off :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
More like Extortion.

Told you I knew nothing about the legal process - I did not even know the correct term for what she did :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
To me, Brandon's lawyer could NOT have opened with a better opening statement. He immediately laid it out that it appears that this is NOTHING more than about MONEY. Great strategy on his part.

GEM
08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I liked the part where she said he stole her $1500 purse and she wanted to get all the belongings he bought for her out of the apartment that was in his name. Gold digger much?

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 02:28 PM

I'm guessing they were carefully drafted if that was indeed the case..

but then again she is not on trail he is for battery..IIRC..

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I liked the part where she said he stole her $1500 purse and she wanted to get all the belongings he bought for her out of the apartment that was in his name. Gold digger much?

if some one gave you a gift would you not want to keep it?

Italianmobstr7
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
JR it's pretty clear that she's only in this for the $$$. She asked him for 100,000 and 500,000 for crying out loud!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm guessing they were carefully drafted if that was indeed the case..

but then again she is not on trail he is for battery..IIRC..

We all know that if there was a STRONG case for battery, that is the direction that would have been pursued. I can't see how anyone can overlook her offer to him to pay her off to avoid going to court.

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 02:41 PM
JR it's pretty clear that she's only in this for the $$$. She asked him for 100,000 and 500,000 for crying out loud!

it was also pretty clear in her and at one point his mind they would be together if not married..

so point of fact is he could also be considered for breach of contract..

hey I'm not riding his jock like a lot of others are.. If it was just one time with him I could get on his side of this..

But IIRC their have been 16-17 seperate police reports on this moron..

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
We all know that if there was a STRONG case for battery, that is the direction that would have been pursued. I can't see how anyone can overlook her offer to him to pay her off to avoid going to court.

I can see why see may have thought she was owed.. and frankly NO one knows what he may have said to here verbally about all of this also..

the whole situation is a loser but he was the one that kept it alive for years also.. she must have really been great in the sack..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
it was also pretty clear in her and at one point his mind they would be together if not married..

so point of fact is he could also be considered for breach of contract..

hey I'm not riding his jock like a lot of others are.. If it was just one time with him I could get on his side of this..

But IIRC their have been 16-17 seperate police reports on this moron..

Just because people have an opinion on this trial only that she just wants money, it no way means any one is riding his jock.

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Just because people have an opinion on this trial only that she just wants money, it no way means any one is riding his jock.

many are Carol just because he is a pro bowl receiver he can do no wrong but that many police reports can not be made to blindly go away.. this kid is a whack job that needs to grow up and maybe some jail time will do that.. Or get his attention..

BroncoWave
08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
JR for someone whose favorite phrase is "follow the money" you seem to be ignoring it here just because sticking to it would mean you would have to side with Marshall for once. Seems to me like you are being inconsistent with past arguments.

GEM
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
if some one gave you a gift would you not want to keep it?

Nope...it wouldn't keep me in an apartment where a guy is supposedly beating the ish out of me. I'd take my ass out of the apartment and if the stuff was there later, bonus. If it wasn't, oh well, at least I'm alive.

GEM
08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
many are Carol just because he is a pro bowl receiver he can do no wrong but that many police reports can not be made to blindly go away.. this kid is a whack job that needs to grow up and maybe some jail time will do that.. Or get his attention..

I'm not on his side, I have come out in the past and said either way I could live with. Stay or go, Broncos will survive.

My problem is the pulling the victim card while trying to put a price tag on what a court case is worth. If you are truly a battered woman, you get your ass out. Another part of being a battered woman...you don't call the police for every incident, you just don't. Sounds like she was in it for the money, found out that Marshall is a loose cannon and instead of leaving like anyone with half a brain would have done, she stuck around for the gifts and later in hopes that her extortion attempts would work, she would be free of him and still live the lavish lifestyle he afforded her.

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 03:02 PM

I don't think anyone has given you the authority to be in charge of their thoughts. I'm not convinced you're a psychic.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Apparently, Klis is doing updates by blog. oldest to latest

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-iv-_-attorneys-on-display/

Marshall trial update IV _ Attorneys on display
by Mike Klis on August 13, 2009

Cue the Law & Order between-scene sound: Done-Done!

The opening comments are finished. Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, said this: “”Was this a lottery ticket that was going to be lost?”

He was referring to two “shakedown” letters, one for $100,000, another for $500,000, that were drafted by separate attorneys representing Rasheedah Watley, the plaintiff in this case, and sent to Marshall.

Prosecuting attorney Robert Bembridge, in his opening statement to jury: “”Keep in mind who is on trial here. The defendant.”

Denver Post Broncos reporter Lindsay Jones is in the Atlanta courtroom.

Marshall Trial Update V _ 6-0 vote needed to convict

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-v-_-6-0-vote-needed-to-convict/

Done-Done!

When the Brandon Marshall trial is presented to the jury _ most likely tomorrow morning _ the four women and two men must reach a unanimous verdict.

Through his line of questioning, Marshall attorney Harvey Steinberg appears to want the court to realize that it was the plaintiff, Rasheedah Watley was the aggressor during the altercation on March 4, 2008 and that Marshall was always in a defensive mode, and two, Watley went forward with pressing charges in hopes of ultimately receiving a financial settlement.

Marshall Trial Update VI _ Watley sisters testify

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-vi-_-watley-sisters-testify/
Done-Done!

Brandon Marshall’s trial on misdemeanor battery is in recess. According to in-the-courtroom reporter Lindsay Jones, three people have testified _ the responding police officer to the 911 call at Rasheedah Watley’s apartment on March 4, 2008; and Adilah and Aliyah Watley, Rasheeda’s sisters, who were inside the apartment at the time of the alleged altercation.

Marshall, by the way, is not expected to testify.

Both sisters said Marshall was hiding in a closet when he came out aggressively toward the sisters. Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, may have exposed some inconsistencies in the sisters’ testimony. Steinberg showed a picture of two bite marks on Marshall’s back that were not part of the police report.

The officer said Rasheedah Watley was “”bleeding from her mouth,” adding there did not appear to be any other injuries. He added that Watley was disheveled. “”It looked like she had been in a fight,” he said.

Marshall Trial Update VII _ Rasheedah Wately sworn in

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-vii-_-rasheedah-wately-sworn-in/

Rasheedah Watley has just been sworn in to testify. She is the plaintiff in Brandon Marshall’s trial on a misdemeanor battery charge.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-viii-judge-steps-in-on-watley/

Marshall Trial Update VIII: Judge steps in on Watley

Rahseedah Watley, the plaintiff in Brandon Marshall’s trial on misdemeanor battery, has gone past the 35-minute mark in her testimony, according to Lindsay Jones, who is in the courtroom. The prosecutor, Robert Bembridge, has led her through it.

Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, has to have his shot at cross-examination.

Watley discussed the March 4, 2008 incident at her Atlanta apartment that led to this trial; another fight between her and Marshall in Atlanta, and an altercation in Denver the night of the Broncos’ game against Tennessee on Nov. 19, 2007.

However, Judge John Mather told the jury to disregard Watley’s testimony that Marshall was arrested during a previous incident in which Marshall tried to block a Denver cab driver from leaving with her in the backseat.
The judge allowed Watley’s description of the incident but not that Marshall was charged (and later dropped. Marshall has said he was trying to retrieve his cell phone).

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Nope...it wouldn't keep me in an apartment where a guy is supposedly beating the ish out of me. I'd take my ass out of the apartment and if the stuff was there later, bonus. If it wasn't, oh well, at least I'm alive.

well I look at it this way she had nothing as did he until the broncos came along.. he made promises and she as well as he believed they would be forever..

who knows where it went bad but that type of stuff happens all the time in long term relationships..

Not saying she was not justified in trying to stick it out but it appears this was a relatively long term thing and she did not know any better.. I suspect he does not either..

NONE of us know what really happened and probably never will..

but I know for sure that these are just the GA. police reports and there are as many if not more in DEN..

Brandon Marshall
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from March 2, 2009.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from March 18, 2007.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from June 8, 2007 at 6:41 a.m.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from June 8, 2007 at 6:53 a.m.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from on June 30, 2007.
Read an incident report from the Atlanta Police Department from March 5, 2008.
Read a Fulton County incident report from March 4, 2008, detailing a fight that led to Brandon Marshall's injury.
Read an arrest warrant for Marshall on a charge of battery after a domestic dispute.
Compare competing police reports from a 2006 domestic violence case, from Brandon Marshall and Rasheedah Watley.
Read a letter from a former lawyer for Rasheedah Watley seeking compensation for an attack by Marshall.
Read a police report detailing Rasheedah Watley's statement of her and Marshall's violent history.

where there is smoke there is something hot going on..

Lonestar
08-13-2009, 03:04 PM
JR for someone whose favorite phrase is "follow the money" you seem to be ignoring it here just because sticking to it would mean you would have to side with Marshall for once. Seems to me like you are being inconsistent with past arguments.

so him beating her was about money?

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 03:04 PM

I bet you would go Susie Bobbit on that guy.

GEM
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Read the comparison report JR, her story changed. In the verbal report she stated that London (Marshall's sister) hit her with a phone, in the written report she states that it was Brandon.

She can't even keep her story straight.

You're right, we will never know what really happened.

But as a former battered woman...you don't forget who hits you. Your story doesn't change unless you are trying to hide something or trying to prove something happened that didn't.

And in a few of those reports, it states she wasn't Ms. Innocent. She was kicking Mr Marshall after he restrained her.

I don't think she is innocent by any means. They were bad together, they hit each other, they had no business being together. Here's the kicker....why did she stay? And what was her cost for moving on? Apparently $100K or $500K, whichever he'd agree to.

shank
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
loraina

Denver Native (Carol)
so him beating her was about money?

She said he beat her, that has not been proven - but that is not the way she wanted to pursue it - she chose rather the money route - give me money and I will do nothing.

TXBRONC

Yes Carol just because has an opinion this trial that the woman just wants money doesn't mean that they are riding Marshall's jock.

GEM
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I bet you would go Susie Bobbit on that guy.

Don't need to go to that extreme. I only need to one thing and my ex never touched me again. I reached back with everything in me and hit him in the face like a man, he never hit me again. ;)

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
She said he beat her, that has not been proven - but that is not the way she wanted to pursue it - she chose rather the money route - give me money and I will do nothing.

Some people take the approach you're guilty until proven innocent.

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Don't need to go to that extreme. I only need to one thing and my ex never touched me again. I reached back with everything in me and hit him in the face like a man, he never hit me again. ;)

Good for you but shame on him. :mad:

T.K.O.
08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm not on his side, I have come out in the past and said either way I could live with. Stay or go, Broncos will survive.

My problem is the pulling the victim card while trying to put a price tag on what a court case is worth. If you are truly a battered woman, you get your ass out. Another part of being a battered woman...you don't call the police for every incident, you just don't. Sounds like she was in it for the money, found out that Marshall is a loose cannon and instead of leaving like anyone with half a brain would have done, she stuck around for the gifts and later in hopes that her extortion attempts would work, she would be free of him and still live the lavish lifestyle he afforded her.

wait a tick....just as it isnt fair to judge marshall without knowing all the facts ,it certainly is unfair to characterize the victim in this light.
as you probably know most victims of abuse slowly become so .
the abuser slowly and methodically takes the other persons ,self esteem and civil rights away ,(often so cleverly that the victim doesnt notice until its too late)
then they have this love/hate thing going on,then it turns violent.
at first rarely .then usually with increasing frequency which appears by police reports to be the case here.
again im not saying anyone is guilty but we should wait til all the facts are in.
thats why we have the screwed up justice system we do,so they can at least try and get it right !
sure $$$ may have alot to do with it,its also possible she was willing to put up with his shit until he dumped her....then "hell hath no fury like a women scorned"

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 03:15 PM
blog update: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-ix-harveys-turn/

Marshall Trial Update IX: Harvey’s Turn

Rasheedah Watley, the star witness and plaintiff in the Brandon Marshall trial, just completed a 50-minute direct examination from prosecuting attorney Robert Benbridge.

She did not get a breather. Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, started his cross-examination by asking Watley about biting his client during the March 4, 2008 incident that brought everybody together today in the Atlanta courtroom. Steinberg is now strongly asserting her motivation was money.

Northman
08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
I believe Whatley is a gold digger lord knows all the signs are there. But, i do believe Marshall could get mad enough and get physical when he knows he shouldnt but im positive Miss Whatley knows that too and knows what buttons to push. But, you cant let yourself get sucked in to the game otherwise you end up losing everything which is something that Brandon is teetering on now. If he cannot distance himself from these type's of women and cannot contain his emotions better he will not be in this league long let alone take the risk of becoming injured, dead, or hurting or killing someone else with stuff like this. I once had a girlfriend who (this is embarrassing but i was young and naive) essentially banged everything under the sun but me. I got so angry at times that i did wish i could drive a machete into her skull. Instead, i spent my time punching holes in the wall, busting my own tail lights on my car, and eventually when it got too expensive resided back into my angry music to calm my soul. But i never nor will i ever hit a woman UNLESS she leaves me with no choice and in that case she will have a gun or weapon of some kind. But outside of that i just walk away and let her scream away if necessary.

GEM
08-13-2009, 03:19 PM
wait a tick....just as it isnt fair to judge marshall without knowing all the facts ,it certainly is unfair to characterize the victim in this light.
the abuser slowly and methodically takes the other persons ,self esteem and civil rights away ,(often so cleverly that the victim doesnt notice until its too late)
at first rarely .then usually with increasing frequency which appears by police reports to be the case here.
again im not saying anyone is guilty but we should wait til all the facts are in.
thats why we have the screwed up justice system we do,so they can at least try and get it right !
sure $$$ may have alot to do with it,its also possible she was willing to put up with his shit until he dumped her....then "hell hath no fury like a women scorned"

I'm not saying he didn't hit her...I'm saying she was in it for the money. No other reason to try and extort a man when you're already in the court system. Get the guilty verdict and go for a civil case.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM

It is hard to overlook that this woman's only purpose here is to get $$$$$ from Brandon. The trial is NOT to have him sent to jail, prison, etc. If I understand it correctly, if the jury agrees with her, against Brandon, she gets $$$$$, and Brandon gets NOTHING from the court system, but of course, we all know, he will get something from Goodell. Of course, I may not be totally understanding what really is going on.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
UPDATE: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-x-watley-letter-to-goodell/

Marshall Trial Update X: Watley letter to Goodell

This has to mean something to this case.

During cross-examination, Harvey Steinberg, attorney for Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, asked Rasheedah Watley about the letter she wrote to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The letter was dated July 29, 2008. The incident in question, remember was March 4, 2008. In the letter, Watley wrote that Marshall didn’t assult her on March 4, 2008, and that she was pressured by her family members to make the (battery) claims.

Watley responded to Steinberg by saying Marshall “begged” her to write it. “”It was a mistake,” she said from the witness stand. “”I shouldn’t have done that. I thought it would help Brandon."

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
UPDATE: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-x-watley-letter-to-goodell/

Marshall Trial Update X: Watley letter to Goodell

This has to mean something to this case.

During cross-examination, Harvey Steinberg, attorney for Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, asked Rasheedah Watley about the letter she wrote to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The letter was dated July 29, 2008. The incident in question, remember was March 4, 2008. In the letter, Watley wrote that Marshall didn’t assult her on March 4, 2008, and that she was pressured by her family members to make the (battery) claims.

Watley responded to Steinberg by saying Marshall “begged” her to write it. “”It was a mistake,” she said from the witness stand. “”I shouldn’t have done that. I thought it would help Brandon."

It sounds rather convenient.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
UPDATE , and the proceedings are over for today:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-xi-steinberg-denied-mistrial/

Marshall Trial Update XI: Steinberg denied mistrial

The jury has been excused and is to reconvene at 9 a.m. eastern time tomorrow. Denver Post Broncos reporter Lindsay Jones will not be attending the Broncos’ first preseason game tomorrow night in San Francisco. Neither will Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall.

Harvey Steinberg, the Denver-based attorney representing Marshall, has made a motion for a mistrial for three reasons: Prosecutor mentioned Marshall was charged in Colorado for false inprisonment; Watley discussed Marshall’s DUI charge; Watley mentioned Marshall’s incident March 1 of this year with his current fiance, Michi Nogami. Judge John Mather denied the motion.

Marshall is on trial on a misdemeanor battery charge. The plaintiff, Rasheedah Watley, completed roughly 2 hours of testimony Thursday afternoon. She is scheduled back on the stand tomorrow. Under cross-examination by Steinberg late in the hearing Thursday, Watley was asked about several e-mails she sent to Marshall last winter.

Watley testified she is not bitter. “”I felt like he didn’t know he was was an abusive person,” she said. “‘What he did to me was wrong. I want him to get help.”

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
From above post:

Watley testified she is not bitter. “”I felt like he didn’t know he was was an abusive person,” she said. “‘What he did to me was wrong. I want him to get help.”

So, all she wanted was for Brandon to get help????? I'm sorry, but having lawyers write letters requesting $100,000 and $500,000 from Brandon to keep her quiet was going to help Brandon??????????:confused:

Oh, I get it - help Brandon drain his checking account. :tsk:

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 04:28 PM
From above post:

So, all she wanted was for Brandon to get help????? I'm sorry, but having lawyers write letters requesting $100,000 and $500,000 from Brandon to keep her quiet was going to help Brandon??????????:confused:

Oh, I get it - help Brandon drain his checking account. :tsk:

It kind of sounds that way doesn't it?

Ravage!!!
08-13-2009, 04:39 PM

Not just some people.... that, in reality, is the US justice system.

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Not just some people.... that, in reality, is the US justice system.

Unfortunately that is very true. :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Years ago, it was innocent until proven guilty, but now, it is guilty until proven innocent

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 04:52 PM
UPDATE: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/marshall-trial-update-xii-court-adjourned/

Marshall Trial Update XII: Court Adjourned

It’s too close to call. Brandon Marshall’s trial on a misdemeanor battery charge will continue tomorrow. He was involved in an altercation with his former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley on March 4, 2008 at Watley’s apartment. Watley’s two sisters were there. Watley and her two sisters testified Thursday. The trial will resume at 9 a.m. eastern time Friday.

Denver Post reporter Lindsay Jones was there today and she’ll be there again Friday. She doesn’t know whether Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, will win this case. But she’s seen enough of Steinberg in action to see why he’s won so many others.

Read her accounts of the trial in tomorrow’s Denver Post and later today on denverpost.com.

If Marshall is found guilty, he would not only be facing criminal punishment, but potential discipline from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. If Marshall is found innocent, he can at last put all his legal troubles behind him and focus on playing football and seeking a long-term contract (it’s always something).

Read her accounts of the trial in tomorrow’s Denver Post and later today on denverpost.com.

(Fade to credits. Play Law & Order theme song, now).

T.K.O.
08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
the saddest part of all is that the ones who will get the most money out of the deal are the lawyers.
no matter what the outcome...... they win.
if the case is thrown out ....there will likely be a civil suit.(of coarse it will be hard to win if the judge in the criminal trial cant find fault)
but either way its gonna cost brandon big bucks because anybody can sue anybody for almost anything and they have to pay a lawyer.

but... i do think brandon has a severe anger problem,that seems to only flair up with girlfriends

GEM
08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
the saddest part of all is that the ones who will get the most money out of the deal are the lawyers.
if the case is thrown out ....there will likely be a civil suit.(of coarse it will be hard to win if the judge in the criminal trial cant find fault)
but either way its gonna cost brandon big bucks because anybody can sue anybody for almost anything and they have to pay a lawyer.

but... i do think brandon has a severe anger problem,that seems to only flair up with girlfriends

Didn't you learn anything from the OJ trials...nothing is impossible. :laugh:

T.K.O.
08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Didn't you learn anything from the OJ trials...nothing is impossible. :laugh:

yeah but the lawyers made millions !!!!!!

dogfish
08-13-2009, 05:23 PM

:hail: :hail:

Buff
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
The chick is a golddigger, no doubt about it... But I don't think she bloodied her lip on her own.

I'm torn. I'll root for B-marsh as long as he's in a Broncos uni... But I also wouldn't really lose any sleep if he got hit by a bus tomorrow.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 05:55 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/back-from-court-a-quick-update/

Back from court — a quick update
by Lindsay Jones on August 13, 2009

ATLANTA — Many thanks to teammate Mike Klis for posting blog updates off my endless stream of text messages today from Courtroom 2E in the Fulton County Justice Center.

Judge John R. Mather dismissed the six-person jury for the day at about 5 p.m. EST. The trial will resume at 9 a.m. EST, with Brandon Marshall’s former girlfriend Rasheedah Watley back on the witness stand.

She was there for nearly two hours today, and she provided the most compelling testimony of the day. The prosecutor mostly just let her talk, with only a few questions to guide her as she detailed the March 4, 2008 fight that led to this trial, as well as two other prior incidents in Atlanta and two others in Colorado.

She remained fairly composed throughout, breaking down into tears only a couple of times as she recalled fights between her and Marshall. Marshall was seated at the defense table across the courtroom and, for the most part, did not look at Watley while she talked. His family and friends and Watley’s family did not seem to interact at all in the courtroom.

The prosecution is expected to rest its case Friday morning, giving way to Marshall’s defense attorney Harvey Steinberg. Marshall is not expected to testify. Judge Mather told the jury that he expected the trial would conclude by Friday afternoon, but that it would be a full day for them (and for me).

The bad news is that the bailiff told me at the end of the day today that if he caught me with my phone out on Friday he would take it away. So … I’ll do my best to keep sending updates as much as I can during recesses and between witnesses.

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
The chick is a golddigger, no doubt about it... But I don't think she bloodied her lip on her own.

I'm torn. I'll root for B-marsh as long as he's in a Broncos uni... But I also wouldn't really lose any sleep if he got hit by a bus tomorrow.

What if the bus driver was drunk?

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 05:57 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/13/back-from-court-a-quick-update/

Back from court — a quick update
by Lindsay Jones on August 13, 2009

ATLANTA — Many thanks to teammate Mike Klis for posting blog updates off my endless stream of text messages today from Courtroom 2E in the Fulton County Justice Center.

Judge John R. Mather dismissed the six-person jury for the day at about 5 p.m. EST. The trial will resume at 9 a.m. EST, with Brandon Marshall’s former girlfriend Rasheedah Watley back on the witness stand.

She was there for nearly two hours today, and she provided the most compelling testimony of the day. The prosecutor mostly just let her talk, with only a few questions to guide her as she detailed the March 4, 2008 fight that led to this trial, as well as two other prior incidents in Atlanta and two others in Colorado.

She remained fairly composed throughout, breaking down into tears only a couple of times as she recalled fights between her and Marshall. Marshall was seated at the defense table across the courtroom and, for the most part, did not look at Watley while she talked. His family and friends and Watley’s family did not seem to interact at all in the courtroom.

The prosecution is expected to rest its case Friday morning, giving way to Marshall’s defense attorney Harvey Steinberg. Marshall is not expected to testify. Judge Mather told the jury that he expected the trial would conclude by Friday afternoon, but that it would be a full day for them (and for me).

The bad news is that the bailiff told me at the end of the day today that if he caught me with my phone out on Friday he would take it away. So … I’ll do my best to keep sending updates as much as I can during recesses and between witnesses.

Carol have you ever thought about going to work for Court TV? :D

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Carol have you ever thought about going to work for Court TV? :D

Only if I could copy and paste :lol:

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Only if I could copy and paste :lol:

I'm sure Nancy Grace wouldn't mind. :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811db36d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ATLANTA -- An ex-girlfriend of Brandon Marshall told a jury Thursday that the Denver Broncos' wide receiver shoved her, threw her around and gave her a bloody lip after she received a text message from a male friend.

Marshall is on trial for a misdemeanor battery charge in the March 4, 2008, dispute with Rasheedah Watley at the Atlanta condominium they shared. The NFL suspended Marshall for the 2008 season opener after a series of domestic conflicts, and commissioner Roger Goodell has said a conviction in this case could lead to a second suspension.

Prosecutor Robert Bembridge opened the trial Thursday by saying evidence would show that Marshall "did use his hands for all the wrong reasons" on a woman he outweighs by more than 100 pounds. Defense lawyer Harvey Steinberg countered by characterizing Watley as an aggressive woman who was afraid her relationship with Marshall was ending and saw it as a "lottery ticket that was going to be lost."

Watley told a jury of four women and two men that Marshall shoved her into furniture in the condo's living room, carried her over his shoulder into the bedroom, threw her on the bed more than once and hit her in the lip.

Her two younger sisters arrived soon after receiving calls from a jealous Marshall trying to figure out who gave his then-girlfriend's number to the friend, Watley said. They feared for their sister because the couple had a history of violent fights, Watley added.

Watley's sisters, Adilah and Alliyah, testified that Marshall physically intimidated them when they arrived.

A police officer testified that he came upon Marshall outside the condo with a bloody hand and Watley inside, looking "extremely disheveled" with a bloody lip.

Steinberg showed the jury photos of a bite mark on Marshall's back and a photo of his eye that was scratched after Watley poked him. Watley acknowledged biting and scratching Marshall, but she said she did it to get away from him.

Steinberg also said Watley is motivated by money and had a lawyer send a letter asking Marshall for $500,000 to make the matter go away quietly. Watley said she's not seeking money and that her lawyer sent the letter without her knowledge, and she fired him as a result.

It's not the first time that Marshall had faced domestic-violence charges involving Watley. Previously, Marshall was arrested after Watley said he used his vehicle to block her taxi as she tried to leave after an argument at his home in Highlands Ranch, Colo., in March 2007. The case was dismissed.

Marshall pleaded guilty last September to driving while ability-impaired and was sentenced to one year of probation. He originally was charged with driving under the influence after an October 2007 arrest.

Marshall, who's recuperating from hip surgery last spring, has asked the Broncos to trade him.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2009, 07:46 PM
From above article:

"Prosecutor Robert Bembridge opened the trial Thursday by saying evidence would show that Marshall "did use his hands for all the wrong reasons" on a woman he outweighs by more than 100 pounds."

So, obviously the lawyer is trying to show the difference in their size.

But from above article:

Steinberg showed the jury photos of a bite mark on Marshall's back and a photo of his eye that was scratched after Watley poked him. Watley acknowledged biting and scratching Marshall, but she said she did it to get away from him.

And, also from above article:

Steinberg also said Watley is motivated by money and had a lawyer send a letter asking Marshall for $500,000 to make the matter go away quietly. Watley said she's not seeking money and that her lawyer sent the letter without her knowledge, and she fired him as a result.

All I can say at this point is :confused:

Hobe
08-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Nothing should surprise you this day and age. Look at that fellow who was trying to prosecute those kids from Duke University a couple of years ago. He broke all kinds of laws in his tactics to try and gain notoriety.

A lawyers' resumes talks about how much money they gets for their clients, not whether they are nice and correct.

Hobe
08-13-2009, 08:18 PM

Bing go! Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding...

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Some updates from today - I am not going to post the entire blog, but just picked out a few things I found interesting:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-trial-update-the-state-rests/

Steinberg called his first witness, officer Graves of the Denver police department. Graves was working off-duty at Denver International Airport at a time when Marshall and Watley were making a scene. Graves testified that Watley was the aggressor. Under cross-examination by the prosecuting attorney, Graves said he did not witness any violent incidents.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-trial-update-closing-arguments-are-next/

Harvey Steinberg, Marshall’s attorney, called to the stand Atlanta psychiatrist Dr. Bryon Evans, the NFL-mandated counselor Marshall visited following his DUI charge in February, 2008. Evans met twice with both Marshall and Watley.

“”She became very angry,” Evans testified. “”She really escalated very quickly. She yelled and screamed, slammed the door … It was very disruptive. (Marshall) was calm. He was angry at her, but he wasn’t yelling or screaming.”

BroncoWave
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
From all I am reading I will be very surprised if Marshall is found guilty. From the letters asking Marshall money and to Goodell, to the testimony Carol just posted, there's just too much going against her for her to seem like a credible abuse victim.

Ravage!!!
08-14-2009, 12:40 PM
From all I am reading I will be very surprised if Marshall is found guilty. From the letters asking Marshall money and to Goodell, to the testimony Carol just posted, there's just too much going against her for her to seem like a credible abuse victim.

I agree. Its one thing if she was purely filing charges against him for battery. But instead, it turns out she was trying to extort money from him, and is now purely going after the bucks. This doesn't sound like anything more than a scorned woman that is now throwing out the trash in 'revenge.'

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree with you all from my perspective as to the idea that he should be found not guilty. But juries are usually sympathetic to the "victim" in these cases. I would still be surprised if he's not found guilty of these particular charges which I believe are misdemeanor battery charges.

Ravage!!!
08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Some updates from today - I am not going to post the entire blog, but just picked out a few things I found interesting:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-trial-update-the-state-rests/

Steinberg called his first witness, officer Graves of the Denver police department. Graves was working off-duty at Denver International Airport at a time when Marshall and Watley were making a scene. Graves testified that Watley was the aggressor. Under cross-examination by the prosecuting attorney, Graves said he did not witness any violent incidents.

I just wanted to highlight this part because it goes back to a previous article that was posted in which the writer intentionally cherry picked the quotes from the officer to make it sound as if Marshall had her pinned down and was kicking her. People on the board were trashing him based on that article, yet the TESTIMONY from the officer says he didn't witness ANY violence.

I just wanted to remind people that you MUST be sure to pick your sources carefully, and to be sure to look into how they are written. Anytime you see the "..." before a sentence, they are picking out what they want the reader to see, and ONLY what they want the reader to see.

Ravage!!!
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree with you all from my perspective as to the idea that he should be found not guilty. But juries are usually sympathetic to the "victim" in these cases. I would still be surprised if he's not found guilty of these particular charges which I believe are misdemeanor battery charges.

THat depends. Juries are also very UNsympathetic to those that are using their time and their tax dollars to simply go after frivolous suites.

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I just wanted to highlight this part because it goes back to a previous article that was posted in which the writer intentionally cherry picked the quotes from the officer to make it sound as if Marshall had her pinned down and was kicking her. People on the board were trashing him based on that article, yet the TESTIMONY from the officer says he didn't witness ANY violence.

I just wanted to remind people that you MUST be sure to pick your sources carefully, and to be sure to look into how they are written. Anytime you see the "..." before a sentence, they are picking out what they want the reader to see, and ONLY what they want the reader to see.

Now you are cherry-picking.

This officer was an off-duty officer at Denver International Airport.

The incident you are referring to was with an Atlanta on-duty officer responding to a 911 call.

Ravage!!!
08-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Now you are cherry-picking.

This officer was an off-duty officer at Denver International Airport.

The incident you are referring to was with an Atlanta on-duty officer responding to a 911 call.

The difference is... mine isn't cherry picking... thats an accidental mistake. HUGE difference in the meaning and intentions.

However.. I'll stand by the statement. You have to watch the sources and how they are written.

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 01:05 PM
I guess it comes down to who the jusry believes. An off duty Denver (the place where marshall makes a living) cop or a local cop responding to the call.

TXBRONC
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM

That's the rub does the jury by the notion that she is the "victim"? If Marshall's lawyer is successful in impugning her character and if able reasonable doubt that Marshall actually didn't strike her, he might not be found guilty.

Traveler
08-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I guess it comes down to who the jusry believes. An off duty Denver (the place where marshall makes a living) cop or a local cop responding to the call.

The court system is not a place for anyone to be, especially true for men. In cases such as these, the system really favors women.

My intent is not to be sexist. That said, I won't be surprised if even with all the evidence showing her real intent (extortion) that Brandon gets convicted.

Or maybe I'm not giving jurors enough credit and intelligence.

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 01:25 PM
not having been there for the incident it is always he said she said.. and in todays society they tend to believe SHE more the he..

but if the juries know about all of his incidents with the law there is no way he walks because in 95% of the peoples minds where there is smoke there is fire or something HOT enough to make it smoke..

we all know that this kid is an immature moron so do not be surprised if he gets a conviction..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
not having been there for the incident it is always he said she said.. and in todays society they tend to believe SHE more the he..

but if the juries know about all of his incidents with the law there is no way he walks because in 95% of the peoples minds where there is smoke there is fire or something HOT enough to make it smoke..

we all know that this kid is an immature moron so do not be surprised if he gets a conviction..

If they DID not know before the trial about Brandon's other incidents, they certainly DO know now - she made sure they do know. Also, in one of the blogs, it was stated that after what she said, in regards to other incidents not involving her, the judge told the jury to strike that - HELLO - she planted the seed in the jury's mind.

Harvey Steinberg, the Denver-based attorney representing Marshall, has made a motion for a mistrial for three reasons: Prosecutor mentioned Marshall was charged in Colorado for false inprisonment; Watley discussed Marshall’s DUI charge; Watley mentioned Marshall’s incident March 1 of this year with his current fiance, Michi Nogami. Judge John Mather denied the motion.

I feel Steinberg had valid reasons to ask for a mistrial, as this trial is NOT about the other incidents. And moreso, by the other incidents being mentioned, it just adds more fuel to the fire.

Ravage!!!
08-14-2009, 01:45 PM
If they DID not know before the trial about Brandon's other incidents, they certainly DO know now - she made sure they do know. Also, in one of the blogs, it was stated that after what she said, in regards to other incidents not involving her, the judge told the jury to strike that - HELLO - she planted the seed in the jury's mind.

I feel Steinberg had valid reasons to ask for a mistrial, as this trial is NOT about the other incidents.

exactly... those should have never been brought up, and the fact that the other lawyer brought them up, basically set the stage for a mistrial.

However.. the letters from her lawyers asking Marshall to pay 600,000 to keep quiet, and then going after money here.... shows that she's not interested in the 'battering'.... and that may very well not sit well with the jury. I would hope it wouldn't anyway.

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 01:48 PM

I feel Steinberg had valid reasons to ask for a mistrial, as this trial is NOT about the other incidents. And moreso, by the other incidents being mentioned, it just adds more fuel to the fire.

yes but it does show prior conduct in showing who is or who is not perhaps shading the truth.. state of mind I think they call it..

look folks what ever happens if he is found guilty he deserves it, if he is not found guilty he still deserves it for being a moron..

Ravage!!!
08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
No one deserves to be found guilty because some vengful woman decides she's going to throw your trash at the media.

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah, they can use previous events in a trial if they lend cause to the case from a historical behavior standpoint. Otherwise they get thrown out. if the judge allows them based on this, then there isnt much they can do about it

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
as far as her getting beat up it is not her bringing this Court date it is the State of GA vs B marshall not whately vs him..

she is not prosecuting him the State is based on evidence they have .. the money deal has Zero to do with his guilt or innocence..

if he is stupid enough to have her for a girlfriend then he deserves any and every thing he gets..

if it was Joe bob beating on sallymae and he offered her a new washing machine to shut up it would still be the state prosecuting ..

for beating her and general stupidness.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Marshall's lawyer calls one witness, closing arguments upcoming
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2009 12:25 PM ET
Broncos (for now) receiver Brandon Marshall's battery trial is on pace to finish today, barring unexpectedly lengthy jury deliberations.

According to Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post, the Court has recessed for lunch, and closing arguments will start early this afternoon.

On Friday morning, attorney Harvey Steinberg calls Dr. Bryan Evans to the stand. Dr. Evans was appointed by the NFL to provide counseling to Marshall and former girlfriend Rasheedah Watley, the alleged victim in the case, in 2008.

""She became very angry," Evans testified regarding Watley's behavior during one of the sessions. "She really escalated very quickly. She yelled and screamed, slammed the door. . . . It was very disruptive. [Marshall] was calm. He was angry at her, but he wasn't yelling or screaming."

Though it's understandable that Marshall held it together, given that Dr. Evans presumably had a direct pipeline to Park Avenue, the testimony reveals a side of Watley that likely didn't emerge when she answered questions from the prosecution.

Coupled with her letter to Commissioner Roger Goodell, in which Watley claimed that Marshall never hurt her, Steinberg won't have to resort to the Chewbacca defense in order to secure an acquittal.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Since I know nothing about how trials work, I read where, in order for Brandon to be convicted, all six jury members have to agree. So, does that mean if 5 do and 1 doesn't, the trial is over? Is it safe to assume that is what it means?

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Since I know nothing about how trials work, I read where, in order for Brandon to be convicted, all six jury members have to agree. So, does that mean if 5 do and 1 doesn't, the trial is over? Is it safe to assume that is what it means?

all six have to vote guilty beyond and reasonable DOUBT.. or it is a hung jury if they do not all agree one way or the other..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
UPDATE: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/14/marshall-trial-update-jury-in-deliberation/

Marshall Trial Update: Jury in deliberation
by Mike Klis on August 14, 2009

It’s all up to the jury to decide the fate of Brandon Marshall. The Broncos’ star receiver was on trial in Atlanta on a misdemeanor battery charge stemming from an altercation with his former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley, in Atlanta on March 4, 2008.

Marshall’s attorney Harvey Steinberg delivered a 30-minute closing argument that focused on how the state did not provide sufficient enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his client was guilty.

On the prosecution side, Jamie Mack replaced Robert Benbridge to deliver a 25-minute closing argument. Mack focused on how there was undisputed evidence of injuries as the seven pictures of Watley’s injuries were consistent with Watley’s testimony.

Mack then paid a backhanded compliment to Steinberg’s courtroom style by telling the jury: “”Don’t be blinded by the smokescreen that has been presented to you.”

The jury began deliberating at roughly 2:50 p.m. eastern time.

MOtorboat
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Doesn't sound good to me.

So, four games? I'm terribly afraid its going to be eight.

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Yep, that is correct. It does have to be a unanimous verdict.

But keep in mind that the jury only has to believe that he battered her. The pictures of a bloody lip and bruises on her neck etc. won't make that hard to believe.

This trial isn't about who is MORE right or wrong, but just about this one simple incident. Did BM hurt her that night, yes or no? The rest is extraneous to the decision the jury has to come up with.

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Doesn't sound good to me.

So, four games? I'm terribly afraid its going to be eight.

I would put the over/under at 6 with credit for one game served, so 5 this season.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I would put the over/under at 6 with credit for one game served, so 5 this season.

ouch !....i think goodell will be a little more lenient in light of the fact that vick will likely only miss 2-3 games and stallworth will appeal his 1 year susp. and probably be back mid-season or so.
seeing how some punishment was already served for the same incident i,m thinkin' 4 games ,maybe cut in 1/2 for time served
again i guess alot depends on what the jury and judge do this afternoon.
if the judge throws the book at him it might not matter what goodell says

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Yep, that is correct. It does have to be a unanimous verdict.

But keep in mind that the jury only has to believe that he battered her. The pictures of a bloody lip and bruises on her neck etc. won't make that hard to believe.

This trial isn't about who is MORE right or wrong, but just about this one simple incident. Did BM hurt her that night, yes or no? The rest is extraneous to the decision the jury has to come up with.

Yes, there were pictures of a bloody lip and bruises on her neck. Also, I don't remember if there were pictures of the bite on Brandon's back, or the scratches on Brandon's eye, but she did testify that she did that to Brandon. So, did she do it before or after she states that he hit her? Guess what I am getting at here is whether Brandon did what he did in self defense.

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
The court system is not a place for anyone to be, especially true for men. In cases such as these, the system really favors women.

My intent is not to be sexist. That said, I won't be surprised if even with all the evidence showing her real intent (extortion) that Brandon gets convicted.

Or maybe I'm not giving jurors enough credit and intelligence.

speaking of sexist,does anyone know if the judge is male or female?
it could make a big difference on the severity of the sentence (i know its not supposed to but.....)

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 02:44 PM

considering he got 3 and it was reduced to 2 and then one on the condition he take anger management classes and then had another altercation with his new fiancé..

I think Goodell will throw the book at him..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
speaking of sexist,does anyone know if the judge is male or female?
it could make a big difference on the severity of the sentence (i know its not supposed to but.....)

The judge is male:

However, Judge John Mather told the jury to disregard Watley’s testimony that Marshall was arrested during a previous incident in which Marshall tried to block a Denver cab driver from leaving with her in the backseat.

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes, there were pictures of a bloody lip and bruises on her neck. Also, I don't remember if there were pictures of the bite on Brandon's back, or the scratches on Brandon's eye, but she did testify that she did that to Brandon. So, did she do it before or after she states that he hit her? Guess what I am getting at here is whether Brandon did what he did in self defense.

yep all 6'4" and 240 is going to have a tough time restraining a girl a hundred or more pounds lither than him..:confused:

MOtorboat
08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
The judge is male:

I have never sat on a jury, so I'll get that out of the way.

I just don't know how you could hear something and then completely disregard that when making a decision on something that is very similar.

"Sure, he apparently had confrontations with her before, but don't think about that when she accused him this time of hitting her..."

I just couldn't leave that testimony out of my decision. He shouldn't have let her testify with that information, in my opinion.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
yep all 6'4" and 240 is going to have a tough time restraining a girl a hundred or more pounds lither than him..:confused:

Then to use your analogy, how did she manage to bite Brandon in the back, and scratch his eye, which she admitted doing in the trial???

Maybe because Brandon is not the THUG some think he is

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I have never sat on a jury, so I'll get that out of the way.

I just don't know how you could hear something and then completely disregard that when making a decision on something that is very similar.

"Sure, he apparently had confrontations with her before, but don't think about that when she accused him this time of hitting her..."

I just couldn't leave that testimony out of my decision. He shouldn't have let her testify with that information, in my opinion.

I've sat a a few one for attempted murder.. and once that bell is rung it is really hard to get out of your mind unless it is really close to a Innocent verdict..

it is not something you can talk about in the deliberations..

claymore
08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I dont think I would find Brandon guilty. For the simple fact, if he did hit her, it would have probably killed her.

MOtorboat
08-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I dont think I would find Brandon guilty. For the simple fact, if he did hit her, it would have probably killed her.

I don't think I would find Brandon guilty. For the simple fact, if he did hit her, she probably deserved it...

:elefant:

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Then to use your analogy, how did she manage to bite Brandon in the back, and scratch his eye, which she admitted doing in the trial???

Maybe because Brandon is not the THUG some think he is

I do not know and frankly do not care how or why she did it..

and dream on if you think he did not hit her.. regardless of why..

anyone his size should never hit a girl for whatever reason..

I had almost a hundred pound on my ex wife and when she went nutzo from time to time a bear hug was sufficient to calm her down.. back then it was OK to restrain.. now regardless if it is self defense you can't beat women..

Carol you just can't do it..

T.K.O.
08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
if the judge allows it ,it is because it is pertinent to the case .
if it shows a "pattern of behavior" it is almost always allowed.
the thing that struck me odd (and was probably stricken from the record and the jury would have been advised by the judge to forget it)was that his dui charge was spoken of.
unless he was drunk at the time of this incident it would have no bearing on the case and should not be admissable.

MOtorboat
08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't think there's anything we didn't already know in here, but it was updated "18 minutes ago," on the AJC's web site.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/ex-girlfriend-testifies-against-denver-bronco-wide-receiver-in-fulton-abuse-case-115770.html

Ex-girlfriend testifies against Denver Bronco wide receiver in Fulton abuse case

Atlanta News Updated 16 minutes ago

* Text size:
* Decrease
* Increase

Ex-girlfriend testifies against Denver Bronco wide receiver in Fulton abuse case

By RHONDA COOK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Fulton County jury is now deciding whether a Denver Bronco wide receiver beat up his girlfriend or was just responding to her “crazy” emotions.

Jurors listened to closing arguments Friday afternoon in the trial of Brandon Marshall, who is accused of two counts of simple battery. Marshall’s attorney argued that there is overwhelming doubt and that it was “he said, she said” incident.

Attorney Harvey Steinberg says Marshall’s ex-girlfriend Rasheedaj Watley is only after the NFL player’s money.

“When is she going to leave him alone? It gives her life purpose, meaning and something different,” Steinberg said.

Fulton County solicitor Jamie Mack argued that Watley has been a victim of domestic violence throughout their three-year relationship.

Mack accused Marshall of repeatedly exercising control over Watley, through violence, intimidation and financially. Mack denied defense attorneys’ accusations that the victim is only after money.

“Why didn’t she leave him? She loves him and she couldn’t afford to,” Mack said.

Marhsall did not testify on his own behalf.

The outcome of the trial also will determine Marshall’s future in the NFL. Marshall has already been suspended for a day last year for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy, and a conviction could result in a lengthy suspension.

Watley testified Marshall had assaulted her several times and then would throw her out of the condominium where they both lived. The last time, Watley testified, she wanted him to leave the condo instead of her. She said she needed time to find another place to live, which would be hard because she was a student and didn’t have a job.

The charges were brought in the March 4, 2008, fight when she sought a temporary protective . According to photographs taken when the next day, her lip was busted on the inside, she had bruises and scratches on her neck and her arm was scratched.

“I wanted him to stay away from me ... because of what he’s done in the past,” Watley said.

She testified that he had blackened her eye in previous arguments. Watley said once she was cut so badly, she needed stitches.

She sobbed several times during her testimony and frequently glanced at Marshall, who did not look at her.

Watley testified that she didn’t know why she stayed in the relationship despite the abuse. “I was stupid. I loved him,” Watley testified.

An expert in domestic violence said it was common for a victim to stay with their abuser and to try to fix things after a battering.

To the contrary, however, Watley was portrayed as volatile, the instigator and a gold digger.

One of defense lawyers focused on a letter Watley’s previous lawyer wrote, demanding $500,000 from Marshall.

And a police officer testified Watley was “loud” and “boisterous” in an incident at the Denver airport on March 7, 2008, when the couple returned to Colorado. Officer Matthew Graves testified the fight was over her demand that Marshall buy her a ticket to immediately go back to Atlanta. Graves said she stood in front of his car when he tried to drive away, even though he had bought ticket.

Atlanta psychiatrist Byron Evans, who treated Marshall in a substance abuse program at Morehouse College, said he found Watley to be volatile and angry while Marshall was calm in two therapy sessions he had with both of them.

Evans said the NFL sent Marshall to his program. Evans testified that he asked Marshall to bring Watley to two of their sessions.

“My impression was that she would initiate the physical [confrontation],” Evans testified. “He wanted to talk, resolve things verbally. But she escalated the session.”

He testified that she became angry, yelled, cursed and left the session, slamming the door behind her.

“He was calm,” Evans said. “He was angry at her but he wasn’t yelling and screaming at her.”

Marshall has had other instances of alleged violence involving women in Atlanta, where he lives during the off-season, and in Colorado.

Earlier this year, Atlanta police responded to a domestic dispute call involving the Pro Bowl receiver and his now-fiance. Police officers arrested Marshall and Michi Nogami-Campbell when they saw two repeatedly kick and punch each other. The disorderly conduct charges against both were dismissed.

According to an article in the Rocky Mountain news last summer, deputies were called to Marshall’s suburban house “about 11” times in two-and-a-half years. He was arrested one of those times but the charges were dismissed after he completed anger management counseling.

GEM
08-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Over/under on how soon we see the civil suit?

Ravage!!!
08-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Three weeks

dogfish
08-14-2009, 05:16 PM

ten minutes. . . .

TXBRONC
08-14-2009, 05:23 PM

If you're talking about the gal that tried extort money from him I would expect as soon as she can find a slick ambulance chaser. ;)

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Well blew that call, lets see if he can now become a TEAM mate..

odds are NOT good for him being here next year IF they sign a CBA....

broncohead
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I do not know and frankly do not care how or why she did it..

and dream on if you think he did not hit her.. regardless of why..

anyone his size should never hit a girl for whatever reason..

I had almost a hundred pound on my ex wife and when she went nutzo from time to time a bear hug was sufficient to calm her down.. back then it was OK to restrain.. now regardless if it is self defense you can't beat women..

Carol you just can't do it..

Not everyone has the same morals though. My mother told us kids that "if a woman is man enough to hit a man then they are man enough to get hit back." I have or never will hit a woman but self defense is different for everybody.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.kdvr.com/sports/sns-ap-fbn-broncos-marshall-trial,0,5580170.story

Marshall said after the verdict in Fulton County State Court that he had some butterflies in his stomach when deliberations began, but was confident in the work of his lawyers.

"I'm just happy now that legally and emotionally we can move past this," he said, adding that he appreciated the support of teammates and fans. He said he planned to celebrate Friday night by watching his teammates in an offseason game against the San Francisco 49ers.

broncohead
08-14-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.kdvr.com/sports/sns-ap-fbn-broncos-marshall-trial,0,5580170.story

Marshall said after the verdict in Fulton County State Court that he had some butterflies in his stomach when deliberations began, but was confident in the work of his lawyers.

"I'm just happy now that legally and emotionally we can move past this," he said, adding that he appreciated the support of teammates and fans. He said he planned to celebrate Friday night by watching his teammates in an offseason game against the San Francisco 49ers.

T.V or sidelines?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
T.V or sidelines?

My guess would be t.v., but I am not sure.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Now that this is over, does anyone else besides me think it is strange that Brandon was not called to the witness stand (or whatever the legal talk for this is), especially if Whatley/lawyers felt they had a strong case against him.

BroncoWave
08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Now that this is over, does anyone else besides me think it is strange that Brandon was not called to the witness stand (or whatever the legal talk for this is), especially if Whatley/lawyers felt they had a strong case against him.

You almost NEVER see the defendant take the witness stand in a criminal case. More often than not, it can only do more harm than good during cross examination. If you have a good enough defense otherwise, no need to call Marshall to the stand.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2009, 07:28 PM
You almost NEVER see the defendant take the witness stand in a criminal case. More often than not, it can only do more harm than good during cross examination. If you have a good enough defense otherwise, no need to call Marshall to the stand.

Thanks, I did not realize that. But why would her lawyers not want to put him up there?

TXBRONC
08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Well blew that call, lets see if he can now become a TEAM mate..

odds are NOT good for him being here next year IF they sign a CBA....

Since you don't work in the front office of the Broncos I'll wait for them to make a decision.

dogfish
08-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks, I did not realize that. But why would her lawyers not want to put him up there?

most likely he would have just invoked his fifth amendment right to not provide incriminating testimony against himself. . . at least, that's what i would guess-- i'm sure as hell not a legal expert. . .

BroncoWave
08-14-2009, 08:36 PM

Because people like Brandon Marshall are stupid and it's too big of a risk to have him on the bench for cross-examination and say something stupid.

But in most cases in general, it just doesn't serve much of a purpose to call up the defendant because sitting there and answering questions from your own lawyer really won't help you much with the jury and the DA is gonna try to trip you up with his questioning.

Also, everything the defendant would need to say is already on record having been said in police statements so that's another thing a DA will try to do in cross examination is get you to say something inconsistent with what you said to police and nail you with it.