PDA

View Full Version : The Place Kick Punt

CrazyHorse
12-08-2012, 02:00 AM
The NFL rules say a scrimmage kick, what we usually see as a punt on 4th down, can be either a punt, drop kick, or place kick. My question is why is it always a punt? Why do we never see non-field goal place kicks on 4th downs?

Davii
12-08-2012, 02:21 AM
I never realized that. I guess because having a ball holder would mean one less guy in coverage down field? Maybe they worry about out kicking coverage?

NightTrainLayne
12-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I never realized that. I guess because having a ball holder would mean one less guy in coverage down field? Maybe they worry about out kicking coverage?

I think it's a combination of that, and the fact that there are more opportunities for problems with the holder catching and getting the ball down, plus place kicks come with a lower trajectory, and less hang time.

MOtorboat
12-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Does a place kick that isn't fielded result in the other team receiving the ball where it lands, or from where it is kicked? I think it's from where it is kicked, so there's another reason why.

CrazyHorse
12-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Does a place kick that isn't fielded result in the other team receiving the ball where it lands, or from where it is kicked? I think it's from where it is kicked, so there's another reason why.

It's where it lands. It's treated just like a punt. Where it is kicked only matters for field goal attempts.

This website explains it in greater detail, I checked the NFL rules manual and it lists place kick and drop kick as legal scrimmage kicks.
http://www.johntreed.com/placekickpunt.html

MOtorboat
12-09-2012, 07:57 AM
It's where it lands. It's treated just like a punt. Where it is kicked only matters for field goal attempts.

This website explains it in greater detail, I checked the NFL rules manual and it lists place kick and drop kick as legal scrimmage kicks.
http://www.johntreed.com/placekickpunt.html

So, would they have to designate to the referee whether it was a punt or a field goal?

CrazyHorse
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I would assume so. Maybe the NFL should make a logical rule change and just say punts are are the only scrimmage kick.