PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Torain Strained PCL, Now Released

getlynched47
08-12-2009, 03:27 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2610/Denver-s-Torain-has-strained-knee-ligament.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On Tuesday, Denver running back Ryan Torain talked about the importance of staying healthy.

On Wednesday morning, the Broncos discovered that Torain had suffered a PCL strain in his right knee.

He had stayed healthy for the first 16 days of training camp. Torain, who was fighting for a roster spot, is expected to be out for the rest of the preseason.

A fifth-round pick last year, Torain was plagued by injuries at Arizona State. He suffered a left elbow injury in training camp last season that kept him out for three months and then he tore the ACL in his left knee in his first significant action during the regular season.

Denver signed running back Marcus Thomas on Wednesday. The team did not announce a corresponding roster move. If a move is being made on Torain, options include him being put on injured reserve or being waived/injured. I will give updates as the story developments.

Dreadnought
08-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Wow - if this kid didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. Too bad, but you may be right, he may be done.

Simple Jaded
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
You never give up on a "1st round talent" like Ryan Torain, players like that only come along 3 or 4 times a round.

It's sad that Torain may not get a chance to make good on all the hype, but maybe he'll get a chance to prove himself in a place like Pittsburgh, who reportedly really liked him coming out and have a China Doll RB of their own starting for them at the moment.

Just as long as Knowshon Moreno and Peyton Hillis stay healthy the Broncos will be fine.......

Dortoh
08-12-2009, 03:46 PM
unfortunatly he suffers from a rare disorder known as Nate Jackson syndrome.

The kid has tons of talent but his body is not going to take the beating of the NFL

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
DAMN IT ! spent all that time rehabbing the left and "twang" weak right !
son of a b i wanted to at least watch him play a pre-season ,looks like thomas already replaced him though:mad:

broncogirl7
08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Sad news, sorry to hear this Torain. Hang in there!

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
You never give up on a "1st round talent" like Ryan Torain, players like that only come along 3 or 4 times a round.

thank you ,captain sarcasm !:tsk:

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow - if this kid didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. Too bad, but you may be right, he may be done.

Unfortunely some bodies can't the rigors of playing in this League.

Lonestar
08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
well another one of mikes guys bites the dust..

wish there would have been some way to keep this kid healthy..

Simple Jaded
08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
thank you ,captain sarcasm !:tsk:

You're welcome, Capt. Sense of Humor.......

silkamilkamonico
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Dude's built like a glass chandelier. Just cut him already.

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 04:16 PM
You're welcome, Capt. Sense of Humor.......

thats ...sargeant sense of humor !:D

Thnikkaman
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
From Twitter @JosinaAnderson - Mcdaniels just said RB Ryan Torain has been released.

getlynched47
08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Can I get a moderator to change the title of this thread to:

Ryan Torain Strained PCL, Now Released

Thank you :salute:

underrated29
08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Lex is going to shyt his pants with joy on this one. I bet we will see a thread within 30 minutes.

Oh yeah he got permed. I bet he will have one at the OM........I am on my way to see.

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I wish him the best. It's to bad the guy could never stay healthy because I think he could have provided some nice depth for the team.

Thnikkaman
08-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Can I get a moderator to change the title of this thread to:

Ryan Torain Strained PCL, Now Released

Thank you :salute:

If you edit your first post in this thread you can change the title.

Lonestar
08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
If you edit your first post in this thread you can change the title.

it has been changed

Denver Native (Carol)
08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13046080

Ryan Torain is essentially finished with the Broncos after he was placed on the waived injured list Wednesday.

Injuries continued to haunt Torain after he was diagnosed Wednesday with a strained left knee ligament.

Torain had missed most of his rookie year in 2008 with a dislocated elbow and a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

To replace Torain, the Broncos signed former University of Texas-El Paso running back Marcus Thomas, who was at practice Wednesday. The tailback Thomas was a fifth-round draft pick of the San Diego Chargers last year.

Torain, who was impressive in one half of one game last season, was expected to get another chance provided he returned healthy from knee surgery. But Wednesday's strain ended that expectation.

The once-promising Torain returned in Week 9 last year from a dislocated elbow, but in his next game, against Cleveland, he left with a knee injury that turned out to be a torn ACL.

In another running back development, LaMont Jordan returned to practice from his leg injury Wednesday.

SoCalImport
08-12-2009, 05:07 PM
I hope he catches on somewhere. After seeing any athlete get hit with the injury bug like this, it makes me a little sad.
Here's hoping his degree is not in underwater basket weaving or some other useless study.

Buff
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM

It's sad that Torain may not get a chance to make good on all the hype, but maybe he'll get a chance to prove himself in a place like Pittsburgh, who reportedly really liked him coming out and have a China Doll RB of their own starting for them at the moment.

Just as long as Knowshon Moreno and Peyton Hillis stay healthy the Broncos will be fine.......

That's all fine and good... But he's not a first round talent... Not even close.

Buff
08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
My sarcasm detector might be broken...

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
I hope he catches on somewhere. After seeing any athlete get hit with the injury bug like this, it makes me a little sad.
Here's hoping his degree is not in underwater basket weaving or some other useless study.

i always get worried that some team like the bolts or raiders will pick him up and he'll turn out to be the next walter payton

Lonestar
08-12-2009, 05:15 PM
That's all fine and good... But he's not a first round talent... Not even close.

he was hailed as such after we got him but then he was injured again when signing his contract..

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
he was hailed as such after we got him but then he was injured again when signing his contract..

you made it sound like he hurt himself signing his contract:laugh:
did you do that on purpose?:laugh:

OldschoolFreak
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
That's heartless by the team though. Guy gets hurt so you cut him. Ouch. Does anyone know if he gets any sort of a contract settlement when that happens?

Thnikkaman
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
That's heartless by the team though. Guy gets hurt so you cut him. Ouch. Does anyone know if he gets any sort of a contract settlement when that happens?

NFL Contracts are not guaranteed. He got paid a $200,000 signing bonus and for 1 year of service. It sucks that he got injured, but he also got some money for his troubles. It sucks that he got injured but that is the way the NFL is. It is likely that he will rehab over the year and probably get picked up by a team that needs some depth at RB.

sneakers
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I always thought he ran too "upright"

sneakers
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
NFL Contracts are not guaranteed. He got paid a $200,000 signing bonus and for 1 year of service. It sucks that he got injured, but he also got some money for his troubles. It sucks that he got injured but that is the way the NFL is. It is likely that he will rehab over the year and probably get picked up by a team that needs some depth at RB.

I am sure he will get a shot with someone else as soon as he is healthy

BroncoJoe
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Couldn't care less - on a professional level. Seemed like a nice enough kid, but he didn't do crap for the Broncos.

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 05:37 PM
is it me or are we seeing too many injuries at running back lately?;)
i hope moreno and hillis wear ironman suits through the rest of camp !

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Broncos drop Ryan Torain as Moreno rises
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 12, 2009 6:05 PM ET
Once compared to Terrell Davis by Mike Shanahan, running back Ryan Torain's Broncos career likely ended Wednesday when the team placed him on the waived/injured list.

Torain was viewed as a possible starter in Denver last year, but a dislocated elbow and a torn ACL limited him to two games, one of which he started.

He was one of the early stories of training camp, showing surprising explosiveness. But a strained knee ligament suffered Wednesday sealed his fate. (The fact Josh McDaniels signed half of the available free agent running backs this offseason didn't help.)

As one Denver back leaves, the team's future at the position is making a big first impression.

First-round pick Knowshon Moreno is reportedly expected to start Denver's preseason opener despite his lengthy holdout.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Numerous injuries in college, including the sever Lisfranc injury. Elbow, torn ACL, now the strain. Unfortunate, but expected.

Chris90210
08-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Torain hurt? no way he never gets..................... lol

red98
08-12-2009, 07:30 PM

You can't cut an injured player. The Broncos have waived their rights to him.

They must continue to pay him until:

They reach an injury settlement with him (most likely)
or
He's picked up by a another team
or
His injury heals
or
His contract runs out

Nick
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I would love to see Torain run, but he can only last 8 attempts. I will stick by it on him being a great high risk high award selection.... He is a great runner only if he can stay healthy...

Magnificent Seven
08-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Ah. I am sorry to hear about Torain. However, We got Hillis and Moreno. I believe that they will be the, "Power Trip."

DenBronx
08-13-2009, 01:48 AM
can't make the club in the tub.

Dirk
08-13-2009, 05:51 AM
I think that most of us knew he would get hurt at some point, but I thought he would make it to at least the beginning of the season.

A shame for sure. I never was a big fan or thought much of the kid, but I don't like seeing things end for him like this.

broncofaninfla
08-13-2009, 07:36 AM
I hate it for Torain. Seems like he has the talent and hear but hasn't been able to stay healthy. Hopefully he gets another shot with another team so he can pursue his dreams.

Northman
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Bye Torain. Cant keep another roster spot open for a guy who unfortuantely for him cant stay healthy. Too bad for the kid but we have a pretty good bunch of backs now and i really dont think he is going to be here any longer. For whatever reason this kid had a lot of hype for someone who was the very definition of injury prone.

G_Money
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Hated the pick at the time, he couldn't get on the field to change my mind (which is one reason I hated the pick in the first place) and now he's gone.

Damn us for not picking Tashard Choice the previous round...

Ah well. Hillis makes up for it. :D

~G

ChairmanBron
08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-torainreleased&prov=ap&type=lgns

Broncos release oft-injured running back Torain

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer Aug 12, 7:17 pm EDT

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Former coach Mike Shanahan compared him to Terrell Davis, yet Ryan Torain’s(notes) short and bitter career in Denver ended with more injuries than touchdowns.

The Broncos waived their oft-inured second-year running back on Wednesday after he was diagnosed with a strained knee ligament, the latest in a series of physical setbacks to dog the talented athlete.

A fifth-round pick last year after an injury-plagued career at Arizona State, Torain missed almost all of his rookie season. He broke his left elbow during training camp and played just parts of two games before a season-ending left knee injury sidelined him once again.

After a long rehabilitation, Torain was having a solid training camp but was stuck in the back of a crowded backfield that includes top draft pick Knowshon Moreno, free agents Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan and holdover Peyton Hillis.

“That was really rough for me,” Hillis said of Torain’s release. “Torain’s a great guy and a great person, and a good friend to me. He was the only one left besides me” who was in the Broncos’ battered backfield last season. “It’s tough to see him go. I really hope he gets picked up somewhere.”

Jordan said he was certain the NFL hasn’t seen the last of Torain.

“I know R.T. was battling through some things and he’s a guy that tries really hard. It’s unfortunate that he got released, but I think he’s going to wind up somewhere. Once he gets himself together, healthy, I think he’s going to wind up on somebody’s team and he’s going to be good,” Jordan said.

“I’m going to miss R.T., but I know that he’s going to wind up somewhere and I wish him nothing but the best.”

Torain’s elbow injury a year ago cast a pall over the Broncos, who went through a bevy of backs on their way to an 8-8 season that cost Shanahan and several players their jobs.

Inactive for the first seven games, Torain made his first and only career start at Cleveland last Nov. 6 and rushed a dozen times for 68 yards and a touchdown in the first half before suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee that ended his season.

New coach Josh McDaniels was curt and unsentimental in discussing Torain’s release after Wednesday’s practice.

“Ryan Torain has been released, that’s the update,” McDaniels said. “He was waived/injured. … It wasn’t about (him fitting into the team’s) plans. It was a roster decision that we made and we’re moving on.”

The Broncos signed running back Marcus Thomas to take his spot on the 80-man roster.

That's too bad. We'll just move on like McD says. We have a good set of backs anyways. Hopefully they all can stay healthy.

Hillis' comment is interesting, he's going to miss him.

BroncoWave
08-13-2009, 02:52 PM
While I hate it for him, I'm really not that disappointed as far as the Broncos are concerned. It's not like he was going to see the field much over Moreno and Hillis anyway.

Overtime
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
i said he was a nobody after he got hurt in that game last season, and I was right.

that thread is somewhere over on Mania, but I knew he was done when he got hurt last year.

easy come easy go. my grandma's available btw, we can plug her in there and she'll wheel for 1500 yards.