PDA

View Full Version : Growing Up In The South Stands (blog)

titan
08-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Taking a time out from current bronco analysis on my blog to tell about going to bronco games in my youth. Copy below. - Titan

http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/th_southstands.jpg (http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/?action=view&current=southstands.jpg)

I mentioned in my first blog post I have had Bronco season tickets since 1968. "Good to hear from an old timer!" was a typical reply I received. Well, I'm old (at age 53) but not THAT old. You see, I have had Bronco season tickets since age 12!

Yes, in 1968 I bought Bronco season tickets for the huge amount of $2 a game ($14 for the season!) The Broncos at the time had a reduced endzone price for kids age 12 and under. I only had $25 in my savings account. I begged my Mom to let me buy Bronco tickets with my best friend and next door neighbor Greg. "Are you sure this has lasting enjoyment?" Mom asked. Dad was on a business trip. Mom let him give the final approval. "Well if its your own money and you think you'll like it, go ahead," said Dad. I was ecstatic!

Greg's Mom drove us to the stadium where we picked out our two seats in the South Stands. Section CC Row 39 seats 23 and 24 - right in the middle 2/3rds of the way up. My Bronco season ticket would become my prized possession in my growing up years in the late 60's and 70's. I attended every home game. Floyd Little was my favorite player. There were many losses, but a few memorable wins. A victory over Joe Namath and the defending Super Bowl Champ NY Jets in 1969 was one of the best.

Sitting in the middle of the South Stands was anything but comfortable. We were packed in like sardines, with little leg room (even for a 12 year old). Since we were over 20 seats from an aisle, it was almost impossible to get out during the middle of a game. One Sunday we were able to buy the seat next to ours for Greg's Dad. He was not impressed. "If I have to take a pee," he said, "I'll never get out. I'll have to take a leak in my thermos!" Still there was just enough room to pound our feet on the hard metal floor. The sound of 8,000 stomping South Standers was deafening, and disrupted many a play from Broncos opponents over the years. Rocky Mountain Thunder was born.

Despite the packed conditions, we loved our seats. We had a fantastic view of the field, right behind the goal posts. I remember having a great sightlines to see immediately if a field goal was good or not. I knew Jim Turner's 53 yarder at the gun to beat Cleveland in 1975 was between the uprights soon after the ball left his foot. We could see Rick Upchurch weave his way through the opposition for many thrilling punt return td's. John Elway's arm strength was amazing to witness from my vantage point high in the end zone. The "fumble"at the South 5 yard line that decided the 1988 AFC Championship game was within easy view.

We also developed a close relationship with those sitting around us. We saw the same people EVERY home game. An elderly businessman sat behind us. "I own seats on the 50 yard line," he used to tell us, "but I'd rather sit here. You can really see the plays open up from the end zone." I came to be known as the "radio kid". Every game I would bring my transistor radio to listen to Bob Martin's play by play as I watched the action below. Those sitting around me would ask "what's the score of the Raider game?" "are the Chiefs losing?" No iphones in those days - my little radio was our link to the outside world.

After 33 years and too many memories to count I left the South Stands in 2001. The view from my current seats is pictured at the the top of my blog - I'm now in the Northwest corner of Invesco field, section 319 2nd level. Having bought out my friend Greg in the 80's I own two season tickets. Unlike the South Stands I can easily get out at halftime for a restroom break or refreshments. My view of the field is good, but not quite the same as the old days. It seems I have different people sitting next to me every game.

Early in 2001 I toured Mile High Stadium for the last time, shortly before it was torn down to become a parking lot for the new stadium next door. I took the picture below of my wife and 7 year old twin boys playing on the field with the South Stands in the background. On that cold January day I remembered all the fun times and memorable games I attended in this place. I walked up to the base of those rusty metal stands, put my hand on the wall, and said "Goodbye old friend."

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/th_southstands2.jpg (http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/?action=view&current=southstands2.jpg)

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I had tickets in the south stands almost dead middle about 20 rows up until they opened the upper deck and moved there because it was a better deal at the time.. and a lot warmer when the wind blew in from the north it always hit the south stand directly in the face.. and damn it was cold some days.. I remember getting snow mobile suits once and heavy parkas over them and the wind cut through them like a hot knife through butter..

the best art was pregame and half time the fans would pound on the deck floor to "warm up" but eh real reason it was disruptive to the visitors locker room beneath the stand.. it was like being inside a steel drum and they could not talk to the players that way even then the chefs bolts and raiders where special and go just a little more thunder at half time..

I can't remember any game in the south stands that the fans left early from..

before they put the nets up I got a couple of footballs for "take out".. the ushers tired real hard to take them away but the fans around me passed it around under the feet until they gave up looking for it.. the fans were great ones we would often "shovel" scoot the snow down row by row to the bottom level to kick off on to the players as they came and went from their locker room..

that did not last long they placed DENVER police near that area on snow days.. so that is when the snowballs were used.. the Police for the most part looked the other way.. lots of the fans would be going to from their seats just as the opposing team would come and go the locker room, it was noisy for them trying to get into the door way..

Mile high was indeed a home field advantage and the south stands were a huge part of it..

When I moved to the upper deck I was in a an area by pure luck that when the wind started up being a bout 10 rows down the wind just buffed up and over those top 10-15 rows and then came down a few rows in front of us and it was miserable for those fans.. I really missed the south stands but really like having the height to see down on the field and the room for each seat was like 3 times as much..

West
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Our family used to have 30 yard liners about 15 rows up at old Mile High. We're in the North Endzone now about 10 rows up.

titan
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM
That's cool that you got some footballs in the South Stands, Jrwiz. They never got up high enough for me in row 39 (before they put the nets up)

It was cold some games, but the coldest area I experienced at the old Mile High was on the first level underneath the upper deck on the West Side. I sat there once for a san diego game that was 8 degrees - the wind whipped around under the deck made it even colder!

I remember for the AFC Championship game in 77 it was 18 degrees but I was so excited I wasn't cold at all (that game was the most memorable of all my years in the south stands - they passed the goalpost up the south stands after the game)

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
That's cool that you got some footballs in the South Stands, Jrwiz. They never got up high enough for me in row 39 (before they put the nets up)

It was cold some games, but the coldest area I experienced at the old Mile High was on the first level underneath the upper deck on the West Side. I sat there once for a san diego game that was 8 degrees - the wind whipped around under the deck made it even colder!

I remember for the AFC Championship game in 77 it was 18 degrees but I was so excited I wasn't cold at all (that game was the most memorable of all my years in the south stands - they passed the goalpost up the south stands after the game)

well even though I was not 21 yet my buddy that I had tickets with was a drunk so getting a flask to drink at the game was NO issue.. even that one game I was talking about the anitfreeze froze.. the snow was blowing my face and it was really coming down..

by 77 I was long ensconced in the upper deck in 79 I move out of state never to return again..

the footballs got "LOST" in my first divorce..

West
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
One of the most bittersweet games i've ever been to was the 'Snow Bowl' game about 6 years ago against the Raiders... Blizzard blowing right in me and uncles face and I did the most honorable thing i've ever done... Stood up the whole game and cheered. Even though we lost on a blocked kick... It was one of my most favorite games i've been too.

titan
08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I remember one game against the Patriots in the 70's where it was 55 degrees at kickoff and snowing in the 4th quarter!

Visiting teams hated going into their lockerroom underneath the South Stands for those snowy games. They were greeted with a barrage of snowballs. I remember one game in the late 60's where Chiefs QB Lenny Dawson was walking towards the South Stands on crutches. A single solitary snowball comes flying out of section CC headed straight towards Lenny. It just missed. Tough bunch, those South STanders.

West
08-11-2009, 10:31 PM
I remember one game against the Patriots in the 70's where it was 55 degrees at kickoff and snowing in the 4th quarter!

Visiting teams hated going into their lockerroom underneath the South Stands for those snowy games. They were greeted with a barrage of snowballs. I remember one game in the late 60's where Chiefs QB Lenny Dawson was walking towards the South Stands on crutches. A single solitary snowball comes flying out of section CC headed straight towards Lenny. It just missed. Tough bunch, those South STanders.

:lol:

Bunch of old timers on this board, i'd say.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 10:36 PM

I hate to say it but when the snow was not blowing I saw some batteries fly.. that was just a bit over the top for me..

I do remember that from my seat I could hit players with snowballs as they got to the middle of the end zone.. I had a hell of an arm..

we would start building them the minute we got to our seats.. and if it was cold enough soak them in water to freeze up during the game.. the devil made me do it.. the chefs and raiders got most of those.. did I hate those teams..

West
08-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I hate to say it but when the snow was not blowing I saw some batteries fly.. that was just a bit over the top for me..

I do remember that from my seat I could hit players with snowballs as they got to the middle of the end zone.. I had a hell of an arm..

we would start building them the minute we got to our seats.. and if it was cold enough soak them in water to freeze up during the game.. the devil made me do it.. the chefs and raiders got most of those.. did I hate those teams..

I love you jrwiz.

AlWilsonizKING
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Great read.

I loved sitting in the south stands. The fans there were like no other. I would go by myself some games because no one else wanted to get tickets with me there :confused:

I remember people pointing in every direction when the balls would go through uprights....lol....It just never felt the same when I got tickets elsewhere in the stadium. The south stands were really something special.

PEACE!!!

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I love you jrwiz.

I meant to add in there "the devil made me do it"..

West
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I meant to add in there "the devil made me do it"..

I don't think so. God made you throw snow balls at the Raiders and Chiefs. The devil is a Chief/Raider fan.

frenchfan
08-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Titan...
I'd be more than happy to attend to a broncos game...
Unfortunately, from where I'm living, it's not easy and would cost me a lot of $...

But if I could, I wish I could have a seat behind the goal posts because IMO it's the best place to watch the game... Anyway, I'd take a seat somewhere else with pleasure too ;) :D

Enjoy your seats and the season :beer:

BroncoTech
08-12-2009, 03:10 AM
This was a great read. I'm looking 53 right smack in the eye myself this year. While I prefer the south stands I was in the North Stands in 69 when we kicked Namath's ass. I always remember that as one of my fondest memories. I almost got a football from a point after kick that game.

titan
08-12-2009, 08:28 AM
This was a great read. I'm looking 53 right smack in the eye myself this year. While I prefer the south stands I was in the North Stands in 69 when we kicked Namath's ass. I always remember that as one of my fondest memories. I almost got a football from a point after kick that game.

Yes that victory over the Jets in 69 is still one of my all time favorite bronco home games. Costa's hit on Namath in that game is my avatar. In today's politically correct NFL Costa would have been suspended for that hit.

Chica_Ang
09-30-2009, 06:41 AM
bump for awesomeness..:salute:

EastCoastBronco
09-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Hey Titan...
That's one of the nicest pieces I've ever read on these boards. I felt like I was there with you...Great job.
I saw my one and only Broncos game(so far) in 94. My girlfriend and I saw the Broncs play the Raiders from the nosebleed section of the north stands. It was an experience I'll never forget.

Superchop 7
09-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Still the best seats in the house. (loudest fans)

For the record.

Sharpe landed right in front of the south stands.

Coincidence ?

I think not.

MOtorboat
09-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the read.

Good read.

Italianmobstr7
09-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm sitting in the south stands on Sunday! I'm going to be loud and rowdy the entire time. First time I've been to a Broncos game since week 1 of 1998 (against the Pats on MNF). The only other one I went to was against the Raiders in 1995. I've sat in the south stands both times and we've won both times. Hopefully #3 is as great as the first 2! I think I'll appreciate it more this time since I'm 22 and not 7 or 12. Can't wait to get there. I'm counting the seconds until I arrive in Denver on Saturday.