PDA

View Full Version : Some Coaches are Stupid

CoachChaz
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
This wont mean much to some people, but my 11 year old twins coach has decided to run a 3-4 defense. In peewee football?!?!?!

All teams do is run and he wants to run a 3-4. I guess it wouldnt be too bad, but my twins are by far the biggest on the team. They are average with the rest of the big kids in the league at 5'2", 120 lbs. and play the 5 technique bookends on D and LT and RT on O. The next biggest one on the team after them weighs 90 lbs...and he still isnt the NG.

I even offered to help and install a 46 (which would be perfect for this age), but they declined. it's going to be a loooooong season.

Had to rant.

NightTrainLayne
08-11-2009, 03:39 PM
This wont mean much to some people, but my 11 year old twins coach has decided to run a 3-4 defense. In peewee football?!?!?!

All teams do is run and he wants to run a 3-4. I guess it wouldnt be too bad, but my twins are by far the biggest on the team. They are average with the rest of the big kids in the league at 5'2", 120 lbs. and play the 5 technique bookends on D and LT and RT on O. The next biggest one on the team after them weighs 90 lbs...and he still isnt the NG.

I even offered to help and install a 46 (which would be perfect for this age), but they declined. it's going to be a loooooong season.

Had to rant.

Coach. This is where you sit out and demand a change.

It is going to be a long season for sure.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM
is this all about winning or teaching the kids to have fun..

NOW seriously the clown is setting them up to fail..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Had to rant.

Coach - definitely sounds like a coach with a major ego, rather than a coach doing what is suppose to be done with kids this age :tsk:

Dreadnought
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Delusions of grandeur "I coulda been a contender, I coulda been a defensive coordinator in the NFL, instead of a peewee football coach, which is what I am...I'll show 'em, we'll run a 3-4...yeah, thats the ticket"

CoachChaz
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I dont care if the kids win and to be honest, I know my twins arent that concerned with winning. But I do want them to actually learn something. DO 10 year olds really need to be given a 3-4 scheme to understand? Sure, you can run it, but they arent going to comprehend the intricacies.

This is one of those stereotypical teams. The head coaches son is the starting tailback and the assistant coaches son is the starting QB. Usually, I look for scenarios like that and move on to the next coach, but my ex-wife is buddy-buddy with a few of the parents and gets attention from everyone as the "team mom", so she insists they stay on that team...regardless of what I tell her. BITCH.

I really only offered to help the defense because they simply dont have a clue and have no other parents that do. I dont need my ego fed, but I want to see all of these kids learn the game. Fundamentals first...then techniques and scheme. Yeah...this is going to be an insanely long season.

CoachChaz
08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Coach. This is where you sit out and demand a change.

It is going to be a long season for sure.

Wish I could, but the boys want to play and their mom kisses ass. problem is, she looks past it all when my kids say they arent having fun.

Example: One of them has some really good hands. I mean I'm seriously impressed with some of the catches he can make. So, he asks the coach about playing tight end and the coaches response is that if they hustle and play well, he'll think about it. Seriously? The current tight end is never at practices, complains all the time and comes up to my hip. What is my son going to do at RT and DE to prove he should get playing time at TE?

So I mention it to my ex and she says she talked to the coach and reiterates what my son told me and somehow she buys into that line of BS.

Forget about my own kid getting to do something he wants to do...what happened to putting the best team out on the field? I forgot...it doesnt matter since their kids play the key positions. A 4 foot QB and a 60 pound tailback

tripleoption
08-13-2009, 05:03 AM
I once heard of a coach somewhere who got fired because he lost every game and after the season it was found out he got his offensive playbook off of the Madden video game. :laugh: You're right coach a 46 would rock at the peewee level! :defense:

Dortoh
08-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Your boys should demand a trade!

Maybe he will see the light after his team gets ran on like our beloved Broncos of recent years :)

Flatinum
08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Coach, I'd just be careful if I was you. I assume football is religion in Texas, the same as hockey is in Canada. As frustrating as it is, a parent is in a no win situation when it comes to coaches. The stories of parents and their kids being "Blackballed" up here are endless. Parents who speak up in regards to ice time, how their kid is being utilized, schemes....etc always end up hurting the kid in the long run. Unless the coach is doing something unethical they will win a battle with a parent 99% of the time. Hopefully your kids get new coaches as they move up to higher age groups. I know it's frustrating but there's not a lot that can be done.

Just my 2 cents.

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Coach, I'd just be careful if I was you. I assume football is religion in Texas, the same as hockey is in Canada. As frustrating as it is, a parent is in a no win situation when it comes to coaches. The stories of parents and their kids being "Blackballed" up here are endless. Parents who speak up in regards to ice time, how their kid is being utilized, schemes....etc always end up hurting the kid in the long run. Unless the coach is doing something unethical they will win a battle with a parent 99% of the time. Hopefully your kids get new coaches as they move up to higher age groups. I know it's frustrating but there's not a lot that can be done.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand and believe me...I dont try to step on toes. I ask questions and offer help and let it alone after that. I coached baseball and soccer for a long time and I know I hated parents telling me what I should do and I wont do it to others.

But just to update...I went to practice last night and my boys team (9 & 10 year olds) were playing against an older team (11 & 12 year olds). My twins were playing the DE spots and were meeting each other in the backfield on almost every play. So the coach comes over and asks "what got into them?" I told him I take them out in the yard with pads on and teach them different techniques and what to look for and pay attention to. Then they are playing against me (6'1", 245) and their 14 year old brother (5'11", 190). So they can come out here and employ the techniques against smaller kids and dominate.

So, he asks if I'll come out and help the whole team. I told him I offered 20 times before without an answer and I'd be happy to if he considered dumping the 3-4. He said he'd think about it, so we'll see what happens at practice tomorrow.

NightTrainLayne
08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I understand and believe me...I dont try to step on toes. I ask questions and offer help and let it alone after that. I coached baseball and soccer for a long time and I know I hated parents telling me what I should do and I wont do it to others.

But just to update...I went to practice last night and my boys team (9 & 10 year olds) were playing against an older team (11 & 12 year olds). My twins were playing the DE spots and were meeting each other in the backfield on almost every play. So the coach comes over and asks "what got into them?" I told him I take them out in the yard with pads on and teach them different techniques and what to look for and pay attention to. Then they are playing against me (6'1", 245) and their 14 year old brother (5'11", 190). So they can come out here and employ the techniques against smaller kids and dominate.

So, he asks if I'll come out and help the whole team. I told him I offered 20 times before without an answer and I'd be happy to if he considered dumping the 3-4. He said he'd think about it, so we'll see what happens at practice tomorrow.

Well-done Coach. :lol:

Dortoh
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Sounds like a great window may open up here. Once he agrees to drop the 3-4 you should move for a raise

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a great window may open up here. Once he agrees to drop the 3-4 you should move for a raise

I dont care about glory or even winning (sacrilidge when discussing football in Texas), I just want the boys on the team to learn the fundamentals before they get thrown into a scheme.

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
I dont care about glory or even winning (sacrilidge when discussing football in Texas), I just want the boys on the team to learn the fundamentals before they get thrown into a scheme.

if they do not learn the basics they never will, they will be passed on year after year and may or not play depending on what the other kids learn last year from their coaches..

I've seen it for years in VB the big girls are never taught to play back row defense.. and when it is time to go to college EVERYONE is big.. and has been taught how in club ball mostly.. the HS coaches do not work about basics sometime..

Fortunately my daughter played a at Small Christian HS and she did play D but not as much as she probably should have..

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 01:48 PM
if they do not learn the basics they never will, they will be passed on year after year and may or not play depending on what the other kids learn last year from their coaches..

I've seen it for years in VB the big girls are never taught to play back row defense.. and when it is time to go to college EVERYONE is big.. and has been taught how in club ball mostly.. the HS coaches do not work about basics sometime..

Fortunately my daughter played a at Small Christian HS and she did play D but not as much as she probably should have..

Makes sense. When I played peewee and middle school football, I was always DE/TE...just like my 3 boys are. But when I got to high school I was no longer the size of a guy to play those spots. I ended up as a SS/OLB tweener on D and an H-back on O. No one ever taught those spots.

Now, I agree...I dont think my boys need to learn how to play CB by any means, but I'd definitely like them to learn the OL, DL and LB spots.

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Makes sense. When I played peewee and middle school football, I was always DE/TE...just like my 3 boys are. But when I got to high school I was no longer the size of a guy to play those spots. I ended up as a SS/OLB tweener on D and an H-back on O. No one ever taught those spots.

Now, I agree...I dont think my boys need to learn how to play CB by any means, but I'd definitely like them to learn the OL, DL and LB spots.

once you teach them the basics in tackling and taking angle on running someone down.. if they are quick to FAST they will play some where on D..

if you want them in those spots push up a and squats till they can't do them anymore.. until they are old enough for the weight room.. do not allow your wife to feed the soy burgers..

Something else send them to take Ballet that is really tough on the ankle and calf's in particular and it teaches the flexibility.. I had always thought the ballet lessons a wastin time and money till my daughter took state in 300 hurdles, second in High jump and log jump.. as well as first in the 4x100 and 4X400 as anchor leg..

five events 5 medal nothing less than 2nd.. would tie for first in HJ but she was not concentrating on the second height and she brushed the bar she had just came back from the LJ pit....

build those quad and below

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
once you teach them the basics in tackling and taking angle on running someone down.. if they are quick to FAST they will play some where on D..

Quick and fast has never really described my boys, but they know how to play to their strengths. They take good angles and wrap up nicely. The older one is developing his speed more now and seems to have the starting TE spot wrapped up on the Freshman team.

Lonestar
08-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Quick and fast has never really described my boys, but they know how to play to their strengths. They take good angles and wrap up nicely. The older one is developing his speed more now and seems to have the starting TE spot wrapped up on the Freshman team.

I really serious about the ballet stuff for the younger ones it really developes the legs..

and Quickness balance and coordination..

CoachChaz
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I really serious about the ballet stuff for the younger ones it really developes the legs..

and Quickness balance and coordination..

I agree. Was just discussing that very topic the other day. It also promotes self accountability. it's a scenario where you cant blame anything on your teammates

CoachChaz
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
So...the coach puts in his 3-4 and asks what I would do to improve it. So, I run the OLB's at the 5 technique, slide the DE's in to a 3 technique, take the MLB's and rush them outside and have a safety push up to the middle.

he tells me he likes that variation. Dumbass doesnt realize I just put in a 46 defense. he wont run it all the time, but some time is better than just watching his 3-4.

On a positive, one of my twins is playing NT and had 2 sacks, 5 tackles, 3 FF, 1 FR and was involved in 2 fights in their scrimmage Saturday. The other one is playing ILB/DE and had 3 sacks and 4 tackles.

NightTrainLayne
08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
So...the coach puts in his 3-4 and asks what I would do to improve it. So, I run the OLB's at the 5 technique, slide the DE's in to a 3 technique, take the MLB's and rush them outside and have a safety push up to the middle.

he tells me he likes that variation. Dumbass doesnt realize I just put in a 46 defense. he wont run it all the time, but some time is better than just watching his 3-4.

On a positive, one of my twins is playing NT and had 2 sacks, 5 tackles, 3 FF, 1 FR and was involved in 2 fights in their scrimmage Saturday. The other one is playing ILB/DE and had 3 sacks and 4 tackles.

2 fights? He's a chip off the ole' block isn't he? :lol:

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 09:33 AM
2 fights? He's a chip off the ole' block isn't he? :lol:

Fortunately he does it in a football game in pads after frustrating the O-linemen as opposed to Dad who does it in bars with pool cues and beer bottles

NightTrainLayne
08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Fortunately he does it in a football game in pads after frustrating the O-linemen as opposed to Dad who does it in bars with pool cues and beer bottles

Give him time, give him time. :lol:

CoachChaz
08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Give him time, give him time. :lol:

Trust me...I'm looking forward to all 3 boys being 21 so i can go into these bars and run my mouth all night. Age is eliminating my opportunities to hit someone and win that battle, so I look forward to having 3 bodyguards. Especially if they stay on their current pace.

14 year old - 5'11", 190 lbs.
11 year old twins - 5'2", 115 lbs.