PDA

View Full Version : knowshon vs tomlinson (premature ) comparison

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 01:48 PM
i found this on bm...old but i had'nt seen it before forgive me if its a repeat.

"Article comparing LT and Knowshon
Heres an article comparing LT and knowshon. knowshons projected 40 time leads me to believe he didnt do so well at the combine.

http://seahawknationblog.com/2009/02...ian-tomlinson/

LaDainian Tomlinson

Tomlinson is one of the greatest running backs to ever grace an NFL field, but it appears his time in San Diego could come to a close…

Entering the NFL:
Height: 5-10
Weight: 221
Scouting Combine 40-time: 4.46
Pro Day 40-time: Did not run
Bench Press (225 Lb.): 18 reps

When a team owns the No. 1 pick in the draft, there’s a lot of pressure to select the right player. In just seconds, you could be adding the missing piece that can revitalize your franchise and ultimately lead you to a Super Bowl. Or, you could make the wrong choice and spend millions of dollars and countless hours trying to develop a player who’s nothing more than a bust.

In 2001, the San Diego Chargers opted for the alternative and decided to trade out of the top spot with the Atlanta Falcons. At the time, the trade was viewed as a risk, because the Chargers needed a quarterback and they were giving up on the consensus No. 1 prospect, Virginia Tech’s Michael Vick.

“We passed up a great guy to look more immediate,” former Chargers Head Coach Mike Riley said in regards to Vick. It turned out to be the best move for the Chargers, as Vick is now out of football.

It didn’t take long for Tomlinson to become the superstar that he is today. After a storied collegiate career at TCU, where he amassed 5,263 career rushing yards – 2,158 of them coming during his senior campaign – Tomlinson exploded on the NFL scene as a rookie and rushed for 1,236 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also caught 59 passes for 367 yards.

“I know how to rebuild a team,” Tomlinson said to the media after he was drafted. “I know how to step in and work hard. I knew what it took to rebuild TCU’s program. That’s kind of the same situation [in San Diego].”

With Tomlinson on board, the Chargers as a whole didn’t have immediate success. It wasn’t until Tomlinson’s fourth season (2004) when the Chargers finally won the AFC West and advanced to the playoffs. In three of the next four seasons (2005 – 2008), the Chargers were AFC West Champions, but they only advanced to the AFC Championship game once (2007) and lost to the Patriots. Tomlinson wasn’t a factor in the game, as he was nursing a sprained knee.

The Chargers most realistic chance at bringing the Lombardi trophy to San Diego was during the 2006 season when they finished with a league best 14 – 2 record. During that season, Tomlinson, who was named league MVP, had the best year of his career rushing for 1,815 yards and 28 touchdowns and also hauled in 59 passes for 508 yards and three touchdowns. But once again, the Patriots stood in their way during the Divisional round and upset the Chargers at home, ending their hopes of a possible Super Bowl appearance.

This past season, Tomlinson had the worst statistical output of his career, but the Chargers rallied to an 8 – 8 record behind quarterback Philip Rivers and won the AFC West. Tomlinson was bothered by injuries the entire season and still managed to rush for 1,110 yards and 11 touchdowns. But the down year has brought about the realization of Tomlinson possibly slowing down, as many running backs tend to do, when they turn 30 (Tomlinson turns 30 on June 23rd).

Tomlinson still has three years remaining on his contract, and with the emerging Darren Sproles being a free agent, the Chargers will have to make a tough decision and let one of them go. In the end, Tomlinson may be the odd man out and that will open the door for the Chargers to draft a young, versatile player to share time with Sproles next season.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Knowshon Moreno

Drafting Moreno and signing Sproles may be a better alternative for the Chargers, as they look to get younger in the backfield and build towards the future.

Entering the NFL:
Height: 5-11
Weight: 208
Projected 40-time: 4.45
Pro Day 40-time: N/A
Bench Press (225 Lb.): N/A

It’s hard to compare any player to LaDainian Tomlinson, because a player of his talent comes around once in a decade. But Knowshon Moreno is also a special player who has yet to realize his full potential; the potential to be the next LT.

Since he arrived at Georgia, there was a buzz about Moreno. Although he was redshirted his first year in Athens, the highly rated high school sensation was being talked about as the next Herschel Walker; a player who would one day win the Heisman trophy and put the Bulldogs in contention for a National Championship.

But just like Walker, who left Georgia after his junior year to join the New Jersey Generals of the USFL, Moreno decided to leave school early and declared for the NFL draft as a redshirt sophomore.

“It was a very tough decision,” Moreno said. “I went home, talked to family members about the pros and cons of leaving. I came to the decision to leave early to pursue my career in the NFL. It’s a life-long dream. It’s been awesome coming to Athens. It’s like a second home to me.”

Georgia was the place that Moreno developed into the dynamic offensive weapon he is today. In his first year, Moreno was inconsistent at the start, but finally broke through during a five-game stretch where he averaged 26 carries, 153 yards (5.9 YPC) and two touchdowns on his way to the second highest rushing total (1,334) by a Georgia freshman since Walker. Moreno was also a big factor in the Bulldogs 41 – 10 win over Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. In a dominating effort, Moreno scored two first quarter touchdowns and rushed for 61 yards on just nine carries.

This past season, Moreno continued to showcase his versatility and became a much more consistent player. He displayed more patience running the ball and had a larger role in the passing game. He finished the season with 1,400 yards rushing and 16 touchdowns to go along with his 33 receptions for 392 yards and two touchdowns.

There are a lot of NFL teams that could use Moreno’s talents next season. The NFL landscape is changing, and having a quality one-two punch in a backfield is becoming more prevalent. A team like the Chargers, who hold the 16th pick in the draft, would be a perfect fit for Moreno, as would the Denver Broncos (No. 12), New York Jets (No. 17), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 19) and Philadelphia Eagles (No.21).

It’s possible that the Broncos could take Moreno at No. 12, but with defense being a higher priority, the likelihood of him slipping to the Chargers is a realistic possibility. If Moreno ends up with the Chargers, the Tomlinson era in San Diego will likely come to a close. But for the Chargers to feel comfortable with moving Tomlinson, they have to resign Darren Sproles, who will be an unrestricted free agent this spring.

With Moreno and Sproles in the backfield, the Chargers get much younger and just as athletic, even though they removed a future Hall of Fame player from their lineup.

CONCLUSION

Again, comparing Moreno to Tomlinson is a bit unfair, but when you watch footage of Tomlinson at TCU and Moreno at Georgia, you can’t help but compare the two. The running styles of Tomlinson and Moreno are very similar. When Tomlinson starred at TCU, he held the ball up high and tight in the open field (he’s lowered the ball a bit over the years), not allowing defenders the opportunity to force it out. Moreno carries the ball in the same manner, and that’s why he rarely fumbles.

Moreno has the talent to be one of the best running backs in the NFL; will it be in San Diego?

Their ability to get through the smallest crease and use their animal-like vision to cut smoothly is uncanny. Their body build is average in stature, but strong and compact, and can take a pounding between the tackles. They’re savvy enough to realize if they go down when crowded by defenders they will avoid a big hit. They possess toughness in pass protection and are aware of their surroundings to be able to slip out in the flat and provide their quarterback with a passing option.

Moreno is a tremendously gifted offensive weapon who is a threat to take it to the house any time he touches the ball. He runs with outstanding pad level, displays great vision and cutback ability. He has a quick first step and is lethal on the edge. He’s deceptively strong between the tackles and will fight for extra yards. He shows patience, waits for his blockers to set up in front of him and instantly hits the hole. He’s dangerous out of the backfield in the passing game flashing reliable hands, shifty moves and a second-gear that takes him the distance. He’s a determined player who will do whatever it takes for his team to win.

Tomlinson has spent eight years in San Diego, will he be back for a ninth season?

The reality is that Tomlinson will turn 30 years old when the 2009 season starts and still has three years remaining on his contract. Darren Sproles is a free agent and will be 26 on opening day. If the Chargers are able to unload Tomlinson and his salary, they can resign Sproles and be in contention for Moreno, who will likely be drafted between No. 12 – 16. Losing a legendary player like Tomlinson is hard to swallow, but if you can find a player with similar attributes and playing style who is much younger, it’s a strategy worth taking.

There’s been a lot of controversy surrounding Tomlinson and the Chargers front office, and when asked about the possibility of being traded, Tomlinson said, “San Diego is where my career started and where I’d like it to end. I have nothing but love and the utmost respect for this team, the players, and the Spanos family. Me being traded is completely out of my hands. I have absolutely no control in that decision making. All I can do is wait and see how it all plays out.”

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I remember hearing rumors that the Chargers were interested drafting Moreno with 16th overall pick. From what I remember hearing just recently Denver had thought about drafting Ayers with 12th pick and Moreno with 18th but they were convinced that the rumors were true that Moreno would have never made to the 18th pick. Given the fact that LT is now 30 years old and Sproles isn't every down back I can understand why McDaniels did what he did.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 04:03 PM
the difference between them is the 10-12 pounds in weight that LT carried.. and unless Moreno picks up some bulk he most likely will not be able to withstand the rigors of 15+ carries a game.. at least for the amount of time that LT has..

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 04:12 PM
the difference between them is the 10-12 pounds in weight that LT carried.. and unless Moreno picks up some bulk he most likely will not be able to withstand the rigors of 15+ carries a game.. at least for the amount of time that LT has..

i'm pretty sure we will see him at at least 215 by the season opener . and T.D. weighed in at 206# when we drafted him .sooooooo.....AWESOME !

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 04:17 PM
i'm pretty sure we will see him at at least 215 by the season opener .

but will he be able to maitntain it over teh season? that is the key..

all the while LT is a 220 pound back he can take a lick and keep on ticking..

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
but will he be able to maitntain it over teh season? that is the key..

all the while LT is a 220 pound back he can take a lick and keep on ticking..

see update (edit) above

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM

McDaniels believes Moreno is an every down back.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Moreno weighed 217 pounds at the combine. He's listed as 210 on the Broncos website. He has more than enough weight on him.

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 04:37 PM
i'm pretty sure we will see him at at least 215 by the season opener . and T.D. weighed in at 206# when we drafted him .sooooooo.....AWESOME !

He already weighs 210 lbs according to the roster. Deangelo Williams of Carolina Panthers weighs 210 lbs and he carried the ball 273 times last year. That averages out to about 23 carries per game.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Lets hope that Moreno/Hillis can be better than Williams/Stewart was for the Panthers!

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Lets hope that Moreno/Hillis can be better than Williams/Stewart was for the Panthers!

then we could call them "show" & "mow" as in knowshon "puttin on a show" and hillis "mowin' dudes down":salute:

topscribe
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Moreno weighed 217 pounds at the combine. He's listed as 210 on the Broncos website. He has more than enough weight on him.

. . . And just yesterday, McDaniels said Moreno reported at 217, "where we want him."

Jim Brown/Bobby Mitchell or John Riggins/Joe Washington?

I know . . . that's asking a lot. But who knows . . .

-----

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
. . . And just yesterday, McDaniels said Moreno reported at 217, "where we want him."

-----

and the question I posed before can he keep it on during a 16 game season not counting practice and preseason?

but then I have always wanted a 225 + RB for that very reason..

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM

I tried to find that quote, but I couldn't. I was going to mention how McDaniels had mandated for other players to report at certain weights (especially Baker, losing pounds) -- thanks for reinforcing this.

topscribe
08-11-2009, 05:14 PM
and the question I posed before can he keep it on during a 16 game season not counting practice and preseason?

TD was never near that weight. But I'd settle for another one of him . . . :D

-----

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
TD was never near that weight. But I'd settle for another one of him . . . :D

-----

yes but that was also when the defenses were not as big, strong and fast as they are today either..

he supposedly played at 212 later in his career.

underrated29
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
There is no way he wieghs less than 210. That dude is ripped from head to toe. If i am skinny and wiegh 182 then there is no way that he only has 30 lbs on me.

It might list him that way, but he does not weigh that little. And yes, like TOp posted. JMD said he is the 217 we thought he would be.

He has the meat. and hillis has all the bulk. These two will wear down as the season goes on...THe defense that is. Both of them will be strong fresh bulls! Well knowshon might be a little more like a tiger- fast strong and agile as hell.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
212 later in his career? Coincidentally that must have been when his knees fell off. So I'm not sure the, "The more you weigh, the more durable you are." argument really works.

topscribe
08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
yes but that was also when the defenses were not as big, strong and fast as they are today either..

he supposedly played at 212 later in his career.

It wasn't that long ago. We're not talking about Otto Graham's era, JR. :D

Here are the measurements to a few of today's RBs:

Marshawn Lynch: 5-11, 215
Felix Jones 5-10, 207
Willie Parker 5-10, 209
Joseph Addai 5-11, 211
Darren McFadden 6-1, 211
Darren Sproles 5-6, 187
Matt Forte 6-1, 217
Adrian Peterson (Vikings) 6-1, 217
Pierre Thomas 5-10, 208
Frank Gore 5-10, 218
Julius Jones 5-10, 217

None of these guys are appreciably bigger than TD or Moreno.

-----

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
It wasn't that long ago. We're not talking about Otto Graham's era, JR. :D

Here are the measurements to a few of today's RBs:

Marshawn Lynch: 5-11, 215
Felix Jones 5-10, 207
Willie Parker 5-10, 209
Joseph Addai 5-11, 211
Darren McFadden 6-1, 211
Darren Sproles 5-6, 187
Matt Forte 6-1, 217
Adrian Peterson (Vikings) 6-1, 217
Pierre Thomas 5-10, 208
Frank Gore 5-10, 218
Julius Jones 5-10, 217

None of these guys are appreciably bigger than TD or Moreno.

-----

Lynch, Forte, Peterson, and Gore are everydown backs.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
wow.. adrian Peterson is at 217, frank Gore is at 218... those two are beasts

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 06:12 PM
wow.. adrian Peterson is at 217, frank Gore is at 218... those two are beasts

If a running back weighs 225 lbs that's not some magical weight that makes them more durable nor does it mean that they will have more stamina.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2009, 06:15 PM
If a running back weighs 225 lbs that's not some magical weight that makes them more durable nor does it mean that they will have more stamina.

Well... Hillis weighed 250, and we saw how long he lasted!! oh... wait...:confused:

Ravage!!!
08-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Well... Hillis weighed 250, and we saw how long he lasted!! oh... wait...:confused:

Well... Jacobs in NY weighs around 250, and we know he's durable!! Oh.. wait.....:shocked:

topscribe
08-11-2009, 06:18 PM

Pathetic example, Rav. You do know how Hillis was injured, right?

-----

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 06:23 PM

-----

I think Rav was trying say that Hillis being 250lbs didn't prevent him from getting injured.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2009, 06:26 PM

-----

yeah..... *shrugs*... so?

Because I give two examples of 250 lb RBs that didn't make it through the season without injury.. has to be corrected because one was a hamstring? Really? Is this what this board is all about.... constantly and overwhelmingly correcting every small, typed out, insignificant message on these forums simply because we have nothing better to do?

I guess I should take the time to go through all the injury reports, and list them for every RB/person/player that weighs more than 217 lbs and distinguish those that were injured due to weight, height, hits, bangs, bumps, bruises, cuts.. pulls, strains, tweaks, wrenches, or twists.

topscribe
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I think Rav was trying say that Hillis being 250lbs didn't prevent him from getting injured.

Sometimes Rav's satire is at a pretty high level (seriously). Not catching on
right away has gotten me into trouble with him before . . . :laugh:

-----

ursamajor
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Knowshon Moreno

Drafting Moreno and signing Sproles may be a better alternative for the Chargers, as they look to get younger in the backfield and build towards the future.

Entering the NFL:
Height: 5-11
Weight: 208
Projected 40-time: 4.45
Pro Day 40-time: N/A
Bench Press (225 Lb.): N/A

It’s hard to compare any player to LaDainian Tomlinson, because a player of his talent comes around once in a decade. But Knowshon Moreno is also a special player who has yet to realize his full potential; the potential to be the next LT.

Since he arrived at Georgia, there was a buzz about Moreno. Although he was redshirted his first year in Athens, the highly rated high school sensation was being talked about as the next Herschel Walker; a player who would one day win the Heisman trophy and put the Bulldogs in contention for a National Championship.

But just like Walker, who left Georgia after his junior year to join the New Jersey Generals of the USFL, Moreno decided to leave school early and declared for the NFL draft as a redshirt sophomore.

“It was a very tough decision,” Moreno said. “I went home, talked to family members about the pros and cons of leaving. I came to the decision to leave early to pursue my career in the NFL. It’s a life-long dream. It’s been awesome coming to Athens. It’s like a second home to me.”

Georgia was the place that Moreno developed into the dynamic offensive weapon he is today. In his first year, Moreno was inconsistent at the start, but finally broke through during a five-game stretch where he averaged 26 carries, 153 yards (5.9 YPC) and two touchdowns on his way to the second highest rushing total (1,334) by a Georgia freshman since Walker. Moreno was also a big factor in the Bulldogs 41 – 10 win over Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. In a dominating effort, Moreno scored two first quarter touchdowns and rushed for 61 yards on just nine carries.

This past season, Moreno continued to showcase his versatility and became a much more consistent player. He displayed more patience running the ball and had a larger role in the passing game. He finished the season with 1,400 yards rushing and 16 touchdowns to go along with his 33 receptions for 392 yards and two touchdowns.

There are a lot of NFL teams that could use Moreno’s talents next season. The NFL landscape is changing, and having a quality one-two punch in a backfield is becoming more prevalent. A team like the Chargers, who hold the 16th pick in the draft, would be a perfect fit for Moreno, as would the Denver Broncos (No. 12), New York Jets (No. 17), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 19) and Philadelphia Eagles (No.21).

It’s possible that the Broncos could take Moreno at No. 12, but with defense being a higher priority, the likelihood of him slipping to the Chargers is a realistic possibility. If Moreno ends up with the Chargers, the Tomlinson era in San Diego will likely come to a close. But for the Chargers to feel comfortable with moving Tomlinson, they have to resign Darren Sproles, who will be an unrestricted free agent this spring.

With Moreno and Sproles in the backfield, the Chargers get much younger and just as athletic, even though they removed a future Hall of Fame player from their lineup.

CONCLUSION

Again, comparing Moreno to Tomlinson is a bit unfair, but when you watch footage of Tomlinson at TCU and Moreno at Georgia, you can’t help but compare the two. The running styles of Tomlinson and Moreno are very similar. When Tomlinson starred at TCU, he held the ball up high and tight in the open field (he’s lowered the ball a bit over the years), not allowing defenders the opportunity to force it out. Moreno carries the ball in the same manner, and that’s why he rarely fumbles.

Moreno has the talent to be one of the best running backs in the NFL; will it be in San Diego?

Their ability to get through the smallest crease and use their animal-like vision to cut smoothly is uncanny. Their body build is average in stature, but strong and compact, and can take a pounding between the tackles. They’re savvy enough to realize if they go down when crowded by defenders they will avoid a big hit. They possess toughness in pass protection and are aware of their surroundings to be able to slip out in the flat and provide their quarterback with a passing option.

Moreno is a tremendously gifted offensive weapon who is a threat to take it to the house any time he touches the ball. He runs with outstanding pad level, displays great vision and cutback ability. He has a quick first step and is lethal on the edge. He’s deceptively strong between the tackles and will fight for extra yards. He shows patience, waits for his blockers to set up in front of him and instantly hits the hole. He’s dangerous out of the backfield in the passing game flashing reliable hands, shifty moves and a second-gear that takes him the distance. He’s a determined player who will do whatever it takes for his team to win.

Tomlinson has spent eight years in San Diego, will he be back for a ninth season?

The reality is that Tomlinson will turn 30 years old when the 2009 season starts and still has three years remaining on his contract. Darren Sproles is a free agent and will be 26 on opening day. If the Chargers are able to unload Tomlinson and his salary, they can resign Sproles and be in contention for Moreno, who will likely be drafted between No. 12 – 16. Losing a legendary player like Tomlinson is hard to swallow, but if you can find a player with similar attributes and playing style who is much younger, it’s a strategy worth taking.

There’s been a lot of controversy surrounding Tomlinson and the Chargers front office, and when asked about the possibility of being traded, Tomlinson said, “San Diego is where my career started and where I’d like it to end. I have nothing but love and the utmost respect for this team, the players, and the Spanos family. Me being traded is completely out of my hands. I have absolutely no control in that decision making. All I can do is wait and see how it all plays out.”

Moreno ran a 4.62 at the combine.

topscribe
08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
This is typical of the scouting reports I've seen on Moreno:

Summary: I’ve made no secret that Moreno is one of my favorite players in this draft, or frankly any draft, and there is a good reason. Too often we make a big deal about size/speed, especially at the HB position, but there are tons of HOF/Pro-bowl backs who don’t have exceptional size/speed combinations but make up for it in other ways. IMO, Moreno is one of those backs. He has the best balance I’ve seen, the best pass blocking I’ve seen, and the greatest intensity I’ve seen in the few years I’ve been scouting. He’s a good all-around back capable of running any play, and as a receiver he is excellent at generating 1st downs. Two players I am reminded of are Shaun Alexander (due to vision and inside running, but Moreno is a killer blocker and receiver where Alexander was poor at both) and Clinton Portis (the 2005+ version who is a great blocker and inside runner, not the 200lber from college), and I feel Moreno could be better than either because he truly is the best thing about each of those two backs. While I don’t recommend drafting a RB #4 overall due to money and the overall fungible nature of the RB position, Moreno had huge success behind a pretty bad Georgia OL and if given a decent OL I see pro-bowls and possibly Canton in Moreno’s future.

http://collegescout.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/knowshon-moreno-rb-georgia/

-----

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 10:06 PM

had he not had a freak accident on the field you really do not think he would have just continued on racking up IR case for the opposing teams?

IIRC One game I saw they help 3 players on consecutive plays off the field from their secondary..

we all know that torn muscle was from the way he landed wrong on one leg while maintaining possession of the ball. it was not because he is injury prone..

West
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Knowshon has never been a burner. He is EXTREMELY good in other areas... Vision.. Blocking.. Breaking tackles.. FIGHTING FOR EXTRA YARDS.. Knowshon will be a fan favorite instantly after fans get to see him play. I have seen almost all of his games since I lived in the south.. He was my favorite player in CFB and most fans will see why starting in the first preseason game.

Shazam!
08-11-2009, 10:20 PM
has never been a burner. He is EXTREMELY good in other areas... Vision.. Blocking.. Breaking tackles.. FIGHTING FOR EXTRA YARDS..

Sounds like TD lol

West
08-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Sounds like TD lol

He's a little more shiftier than TD but the vision the both of them have is in a league of their own.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 11:13 PM
regardless of the sizes of other teams RB I still want my guy to be 225+..

BTW if you will note those real 3 stud RBs were almost all over 215

aberdien
08-11-2009, 11:30 PM
All I know is we are going to be killer running the ball for the next 10 years if he stays healthy.

And I think that's awesome.

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 11:51 PM
had he not had a freak accident on the field you really do not think he would have just continued on racking up IR case for the opposing teams?

IIRC One game I saw they help 3 players on consecutive plays off the field from their secondary..

we all know that torn muscle was from the way he landed wrong on one leg while maintaining possession of the ball. it was not because he is injury prone..

Hillis being 250 lbs didn't prevent him getting injuried.

Lonestar
08-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Hillis being 250 lbs didn't prevent him getting injuried.

did you even read the comment.. if not I'll repeat ti and hilite those parts you might have missed..

Originally Posted by Jrwiz

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 12:38 AM
did you even read the comment.. if not I'll repeat ti and hilite those parts you might have missed..

Yes I saw your comments, but you missed my point.

topscribe
08-12-2009, 01:09 AM
regardless of the sizes of other teams RB I still want my guy to be 225+..

BTW if you will note those real 3 stud RBs were almost all over 215

There you go. Moreno is 217.

-----

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 09:38 AM
There you go. Moreno is 217.

-----

If a guy is 225 lbs or bigger doesn't mean he'll be more durable or have more stamina. They can be injuried just easily a back who weighs 217 lbs.

Traveler
08-12-2009, 12:57 PM
then we could call them "show" & "mow" as in knowshon "puttin on a show" and hillis "mowin' dudes down":salute:

See caption in my sig.

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
See caption in my sig.

i like that one as well,mine has a "play" on knowshon's name so he would like it better:eviltongue:j/k

by the way who knows what barry sanders weight was ? just curious and it may shed some more light on the whole 210 lb -250lb back theory

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 01:15 PM
i like that one as well,mine has a "play" on knowshon's name so he would like it better:eviltongue:j/k

by the way who knows what barry sanders weight was ? just curious and it may shed some more light on the whole 210 lb -250lb back theory

Sanders was 5' 8" and 203 lbs.

BroncoWave
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
See caption in my sig.

Yeah, but that's already in use for the Panthers 2 RB's.

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Sanders was 5' 8" and 203 lbs.

then were all set ! if he can move 1/2 as well as barry he will be a superstud with our o-line !!!!!:beer:

dogfish
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
emmitt smith 5'9" 216 lbs.

15 seasons

4,409 carries - 18,355 yards

515 receptions - 3,224 yards

[/discussion]

seriously, we're talking about tailbacks-- not defensive tackles. . . . weight is an overrated measuring tool for the position. . . . give me a guy with good quickness and a lot of determination, and forget how much he weighs. . . . marshall faulk was on the small side, and he was one of the biggest impact players of his generation. . .

the top of the all-time rushing list is littered with smaller backs, and that includes such recent modern-era backs as faulk and curtis martin. . . and hell, walter payton wasn't a big guy for his time, and he was one of the grittiest and most productive runners in the history of the game. . .

also, look at the way guys like portis and edge james have put on weight and adjusted their styles later in their careers. . . . shiftier backs can compensate for the loss of a step by adding a little extra bulk and power (along with improved technique) as they age, and moreno could well be a guy that plays heavier six-seven years from now. . .

but really, 5-10 pounds is no big thing. . . . i laughed when william green was drafted before portis, and look how that turned out-- size is no guarantee of anything. . . .

of course, it is nce to have that big 250-pounder as the back end of a one-two punch. . . guys that have been chasing knowshon for a few quarters probably aren't going to be real excited when we start punching them in the mouth with hillis in the second half. . . . :D

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
of course, it is nce to have that big 250-pounder as the back end of a one-two punch. . . guys that have been chasing knowshon for a few quarters probably aren't going to be real excited when we start punching them in the mouth with hillis in the second half. . . . :D

AWESOME !
thats gonna be fun to watch (and i wont say "if they can manage to stay healthy ,like so many do !....ooops )

your entire post was spot on !(is it legal to say that?):2thumbs:

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 02:55 PM
emmitt smith 5'9" 216 lbs.

15 seasons

4,409 carries - 18,355 yards

515 receptions - 3,224 yards

[/discussion]

seriously, we're talking about tailbacks-- not defensive tackles. . . . weight is an overrated measuring tool for the position. . . . give me a guy with good quickness and a lot of determination, and forget how much he weighs. . . . marshall faulk was on the small side, and he was one of the biggest impact players of his generation. . .

the top of the all-time rushing list is littered with smaller backs, and that includes such recent modern-era backs as faulk and curtis martin. . . and hell, walter payton wasn't a big guy for his time, and he was one of the grittiest and most productive runners in the history of the game. . .

also, look at the way guys like portis and edge james have put on weight and adjusted their styles later in their careers. . . . shiftier backs can compensate for the loss of a step by adding a little extra bulk and power (along with improved technique) as they age, and moreno could well be a guy that plays heavier six-seven years from now. . .

but really, 5-10 pounds is no big thing. . . . i laughed when william green was drafted before portis, and look how that turned out-- size is no guarantee of anything. . . .

When Portis came to Denver he weighed right around 200 lbs and had terrific rookie season. In fact if I remember correctly by his own admission by the end of his rookie season he weighed about 185 lbs. Even so he still managed to stay relatively healthy and his stamia was still strong by the end of the season.

underrated29
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I think schenannigans is the word we cant say.

(its from super troopers, TKO- as i am guessing you havent seen that movie). ;)

but yes i think there was the spot on guy who didnt like things being spot on

West
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Knowshon's size is not an issue at all.. Beanie Wells has 20 lbs on him and has struggled with injuries his entire career. Knowshon is plenty durable. His running style is the evidence of that. Other than Brandon Spikes and Eric Berry, noone is able to get a clean hit on Moreno. He has a way about his running style (ala Barry Sanders) where he just doesn't let himself get popped.

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Knowshon's size is not an issue at all.. Beanie Wells has 20 lbs on him and has struggled with injuries his entire career. Knowshon is plenty durable. His running style is the evidence of that. Other than Brandon Spikes and Eric Berry, noone is able to get a clean hit on Moreno. He has a way about his running style (ala Barry Sanders) where he just doesn't let himself get popped.

I've thought about pointing out Wells' inability to stay on the field while at Ohio State I just never got around to it. I'm glad you did. :salute:

T.K.O.
08-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I think schenannigans is the word we cant say.

(its from super troopers, TKO- as i am guessing you havent seen that movie). ;)

i

but yes i think there was the spot on guy who didnt like things being spot on

i own that movie !(well in fairness i own 6800+ movies ,but i like that one alot)
it was actually a reference to another thread where the term "spot on " was used so much members begged for it to stop !

EMB6903
08-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Ive noticed that from watching Moreno as well... He knows how to take a hit, something that cant be taught.

Scarface
08-12-2009, 11:18 PM

217lbs isn't bad at all for a starting RB.

TXBRONC
08-13-2009, 06:28 AM
217lbs isn't bad at all for a starting RB.

It looks like the majority of the elite backs are not 225lbs and as I said earlier being 225lbs is no guarantee of durability and stamina.

Dirk
08-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I think that durability starts at conditioning and ends in both luck and skill.

Barry Sanders was not a "beast" of a running back but he had a great ability to avoid being hit hard. Same can be said about Marshal Faulk.

If Moreno conditions himself correctly and has the ability to avoid the big hits then he will amaze us all with how often he can carry the ball.

As mentioned...Sanders 5'8" 203lbs, Faulk 5'10" 211lbs.

Another back that I always liked but couldn't root for because of obvious reasons is Marcus Allen. He knew how NOT to get hit hard. He had his moments of injury but the guy kept on ticking for 16 seasons. He was 6'2" 210lbs. With the extra height he would be kinda skinny in comparison.

So I think that you don't have to have great bulk in order to be durable. You just need good conditioning, luck and know how to take a hit.