PDA

View Full Version : Clady versus Long

Dean
08-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Here is an article originally posted by OCrush4Ever it deals with a comparison of OT Clady with Long who was chosen ahead of him in last year's draft. I liked the story so here it is.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/06/28/jake-long-looks-to-close-gap-with-ryan-clady/#more-2938

Jake Long looks to close gap with Ryan Clady
by Edgar Thompson
On the cusp of his second season, Jake Long already is considered one of the NFL’s best offensive tackles.

But the thinking is he’s not even the best OT in the 2008 rookie class, either.

Denver’s Ryan Clady is.

In the past week or so, two more lists have come out that place Long behind Clady … one by Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders calling Clady the No. 5 most-irreplaceable player and another by CBS Sportsline’s Pete Prisco, who ranks Clady No. 1 and Long No. 3 among NFL OTs.

(Prisco also ranks Clady the NFL’s 16th-best player, with Long earning honorable mention on Prisco’s top-50 list.)

Not only did Clady give up just a 1/2 sack as a rookie, Denver was the best team in the league running to left end and fifth-best running at left tackle, according to Barnwell. Long gave up 2 1/2 sacks and blocked well in the run game, but Miami struggled to generate a consistent rushing attack.

Yet, despite strong starts to their careers, Long and Clady have played just one NFL season, making these proclamations and distinctions a little premature.

Each Long and Clady will have plenty of chances this season to prove if he’s the best LT in the NFL.

Long begins with a three-game opening stretch against Atlanta’s John Abraham (16 1/2 sacks in 2008), Indy’s Dwight Freeney (11 1/2) and San Diego’s Shawne Merriman, who is coming off an injury but had 39 1/2 sacks in 2006-07.

Long also will face Carolina’s Julius Peppers and Pittsburgh’s Jame Harrison, who combined for 30 1/2 sacks last season. And, he’ll have two meetings with the Jets’ Calvin Pace (7 in ‘08) and Pats’ Richard Seymour (8).

Clady faces Merriman twice, Harrison, Freeney, Seymour, 2008 sack leader DeMarcus Ware of Dallas, the Giants’ Justin Tuck (12 sacks in ‘08) and Philly’s Trent Cole (9).

Long vs. Clady will be interesting to keep an eye on during the coming years, kind of like not too long ago when one could make a case for Seattle’s Walter Jones, Baltimore’s Jon Ogden or St. Louis’ Orlando Pace being the game’s best LT … not that the Seahawks, Ravens or Rams or their fans ever felt shortchanged at the position.

(One thing to note: Long and Clady were in the same rookie class, while Odgen, Jones and Pace were drafted in successive years from 1996-98.)

In the end, being the best matters to a lot of people observing and playing sports, especially a guy who was the NFL’s No. 1 pick in 2008 and is the league’s highest-paid offensive lineman, like Long.

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 28th, 2009

broncofaninfla
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Here is an article originally posted by OCrush4Ever it deals with a comparison of OT Clady with Long who was chosen ahead of him in last year's draft. I liked the story so here it is.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/06/28/jake-long-looks-to-close-gap-with-ryan-clady/#more-2938

Good read, Clady deserves all of the accolade he can get. He is arguably the best LT in the league right now.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Great article. It's awesome to see the lengths the Dolphins fans will go to justify Long being better. Haha.

broncofaninfla
08-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Great article. It's awesome to see the lengths the Dolphins fans will go to justify Long being better. Haha.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing, excuse after excuse for Long. :beer:

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 01:12 PM
if clady can protect orton as well as he did cutler ,he has my vote for best in the league.
cutler had quick feet and release so it will be a challenge to keep orton off his arse that well.;)

JONtheBRONCO
08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
long live clady!

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
My hope is that Clady can have long and distinguished career with the Broncos.

sanluis
08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
clady is the real deal...... damn-it!

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 01:04 AM
clady is the real deal...... damn-it!

I think he is too and I'm looking forward to seeing him go up against Merriman.

Kapaibro
08-12-2009, 01:33 AM
IMO Long only has Clady beat on looks, but that's just my personal opinion.