PDA

View Full Version : Pop Can’t Dance Out Of This One

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2012, 07:32 PM
from article:

But Pop is flat wrong about sending home Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Danny Green ahead of the marquee game in Miami.

“We’re getting tired,” Popovich said before Wednesday night’s win at Orlando. “We’ve had a six-day trip and a 10-day trip. Usually you don’t have that in one month.”

Sorry, Pop. Tired is not an excuse. Not for every other team that has had to endure a grueling road trip or the vagaries of an often Byzantine NBA travel map. Not for the Spurs.

full article - http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/11/29/pop-cant-dance-out-of-this-one/

I am sure TNT is happy - this is the first game of a double header tonight

MOtorboat
11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Wait. They won't even be AT the game?

That's bush league.

BroncoWave
11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
This is their 4th road game in 5 days. He does this alot at the end of long road trips, but since it's the heat and on TV people are getting up in arms about it. Why does it matter if they are at the game? What's the difference from a fan perspective?

As many titles as he has won, Pop has earned the right to do whatever he sees fit to make sure his team is successful.

MOtorboat
11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
This is their 4th road game in 5 days. He does this alot at the end of long road trips, but since it's the heat and on TV people are getting up in arms about it. Why does it matter if they are at the game? What's the difference from a fan perspective?

As many titles as he has won, Pop has earned the right to do whatever he sees fit to make sure his team is successful.

Sitting your starting five is one thing. I get it, Duncan's old. He's not going to be playing every game and they will limit his minutes.

It's absolutely bush league to just go preseason on a regular season game and send the entire starting lineup to a different city. That's just ridiculous.

NightTerror218
11-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Sitting your starting five is one thing. I get it, Duncan's old. He's not going to be playing every game and they will limit his minutes.

It's absolutely bush league to just go preseason on a regular season game and send the entire starting lineup to a different city. That's just ridiculous.

So he send them home so he can suit up others. If he he planning on sitting them the entire game anyways. I have no problem with it unless i was a Spurs fan. I would want them to beat the heat.

BroncoWave
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM

What difference does it make? How does it make any difference in the fan experience at all? I'm sure tons of Heat fans will leave the game pissed off because they couldn't watch Duncan on the bench cheering on his teammates.

BroncoWave
11-29-2012, 08:33 PM
So he send them home so he can suit up others. If he he planning on sitting them the entire game anyways. I have no problem with it unless i was a Spurs fan. I would want them to beat the heat.

I think a Spurs fan would rather win a title than one regular season game against the Heat. They have faded in the playoffs the last couple of years. I'm sure he's trying to save as much as their energy for the playoffs as possible.

SR
11-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Basketball players are pussies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MOtorboat
What difference does it make? How does it make any difference in the fan experience at all? I'm sure tons of Heat fans will leave the game pissed off because they couldn't watch Duncan on the bench cheering on his teammates.

Other than the obvious fact that you're going to be attending a blowout that will be over by halftime, it probably doesn't affect the "experience" at all. Even though I was arguing nothing about the fan experience anyway.

My argument was from a competitive standpoint. It's just bush league to completely quit on a regular season game. If your team has that many problems playing its schedule rotate the sit/starts. Don't send the whole damn team home.

BeefStew25
Just shows the regular season is too long. NBA is a joke. Stern is going to seriously menstrate over this.

smith49
11-29-2012, 08:54 PM
I'd be pissed if I had spent a couple hundy on a ticket. I get the premiss pop is going for but if I were a paying customer I would want my $$ back.

NightTerror218
11-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd be pissed if I had spent a couple hundy on a ticket. I get the premiss pop is going for but if I were a paying customer I would want my $$ back.

and if they sat on the bench the entire time, would you still be pissed? Either way are resting a game.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I am a Nuggets fan, so I pay attention to them. In terms of schedules so far:

from article:

Denver's opening schedule is brutal. And by opening schedule, I mean the first full two months of the season. Between opening night and January 1st, the Nuggets play 22 of 32 on the road. That leaves just 19 road games for them from January 1st through the end of the season, though, so there's always a balance-out. If they can survive the start of the season, they've got a favorable set the rest of the way.

AND

The Lakers, Nuggets, and Spurs have the worst disparity in rest vs. opponent rest, and the Pacers, Cavaliers, and Blazers have the best.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19664810/the-good-bad-and-ugly-from-the-2012-13-nba-schedule

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
MIAMI -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich sent stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, plus key role player Danny Green, home for Thursday night's game against the Miami Heat, choosing rest instead of playing them in an early-season showdown.

NBA commissioner David Stern promised repercussions for the move, saying the Spurs will face "substantial sanctions" for their approach to the game.

"I apologize to all NBA fans," Stern said in a statement. "This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8692304/san-antonio-spurs-sit-4-top-5-scorers-vs-miami-heat

Northman
11-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Love Tim Duncan, always have but i agree with some others that this is ridiculous. You get paid thousands/millions to do a job (which is actually playing a game). If i were any of the other teammates i would feel offended. I would be like "Why cant i go home?". If all the other players need to be there than so should the other guys. Sorry, cant get on board with its ok even if they were sitting on the bench. Whatever Stern is going to do is totally justified.

smith49
11-29-2012, 09:42 PM

and if they sat on the bench the entire time, would you still be pissed? Either way are resting a game.

He'll ya I'd be pissed. Like I said, I get it. That doesn't mean if I had spent my hard earned $$ on a ticket I wouldn't want to see the best guys play.

Buff
11-29-2012, 09:56 PM
I hope the NBA fines the shit out of him. I'd be pissed if I paid full price for that game.

Jsteve01
11-29-2012, 10:20 PM
One of the best coach/ gms the league has ever seen. I think he can do what he wants

MOtorboat
11-29-2012, 10:24 PM
One of the best coach/ gms the league has ever seen. I think he can do what he wants

Within the general spirit of the game, sure.

Buff
11-29-2012, 10:25 PM

I think Master of the Universe David Stern will disagree.

MOtorboat
11-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I think Master of the Universe David Stern will disagree.

Stern is still a douche.

The worst part of this game isn't even Popovich throwing a big middle finger at the league.

The worst things are:
A.) Charles Barkley playing the role of league patsy and not even broaching the subject in an in game interview.
B.) Miami playing like Washington.

Buff
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Stern is still a douche.

The worst part of this game isn't even Popovich throwing a big middle finger at the league.

The worst things are:
A.) Charles Barkley playing the role of league patsy and not even broaching the subject in an in game interview.
B.) Miami playing like Washington.

Stern is an uber mega douche of the highest order. But this is a BS move by Pop - you don't see this in MLB where the season is twice as long and there is a code of honor about respecting the integrity of the game.

MOtorboat
11-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Stern is an uber mega douche of the highest order. But this is a BS move by Pop - you don't see this in MLB where the season is twice as long and there is a code of honor about respecting the integrity of the game.

The Heat should get sanctioned for being down five to this crap team with two to play.

Buff
11-29-2012, 10:45 PM
The Heat should get sanctioned for being down five to this crap team with two to play.

What we are witnessing is the Ewing Theory in action.

Poet
11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Within the general spirit of the game, sure.

Winning is within the spirit of the game. He's thinking long term. He has not broken any rules. I'm with BTB on this one because no matter what, those guys aren't playing. Their presence is irrelevant.

Buff
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Winning is within the spirit of the game. He's thinking long term. He has not broken any rules. I'm with BTB on this one because no matter what, those guys aren't playing. Their presence is irrelevant.

You can't send them home. Make them go through warm-ups and sit on the bench. They are being paid a gazillion dollars to entertain fans. Pop is trying to be the scheduler as well, which is out of line.

MOtorboat
11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
You can't send them home. Make them go through warm-ups and sit on the bench. They are being paid a gazillion dollars to entertain fans. Pop is trying to be the scheduler as well, which is out of line.

Exactly. It's one thing to send Ginobili and Duncan home because Ginobili has a bad back (he does) and Duncan has a bad knee (he does). It's a whole other thing to literally send six players (that's half a roster, two are injured) back to San Antonio after ALREADY ARRIVING at your destination. Popovich is throwing a big middle finger at the league, especially considering it was a Thursday night featured game. It was bush league no matter how much you hate Stern.

Poet
11-29-2012, 11:11 PM

He can send them home. I know that he can because he did. They are his players on his team. They are paid at the discretion of their employers and their employers employees who are designated to manage or coach them.

Buff
11-29-2012, 11:15 PM
He can send them home. I know that he can because he did. They are his players on his team. They are paid at the discretion of their employers and their employers employees who are designated to manage or coach them.

I get that - but c'mon... The league wouldn't exist without the fans. As Mo said, he did it explicitly to say **** you to the league, and in the process he also said **** you to all the fans. It was a total bush league move, and I really hope they fine the shit out of him for being a dick. I'm starting to get sick of his entitled routine to he honest, between this and constantly going out of his way to disrespect reporters during interviews.

Poet
11-29-2012, 11:17 PM
The fans were not going to watch these guys play. That's why this is irrelevant. What is the basis of the fine?

Buff
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
The fans were not going to watch these guys play. That's why this is irrelevant. What is the basis of the fine?

The basis of the fine is that he intentionally compromised the integrity of the competition. Also, for being a dick.

MOtorboat
11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Conduct detrimental.

Poet
11-29-2012, 11:54 PM
That would be an awful fine. Sorry Commish, I sent our players home...they weren't going to play...

Pop did nothing wrong. Overreaction.

MOtorboat
11-30-2012, 12:00 AM
That would be an awful fine. Sorry Commish, I sent our players home...they weren't going to play...

Pop did nothing wrong. Overreaction.

What if an NFL team literally dressed 26 players, and all of those 26 players were not starters? And then they didn't even require those other 27 players to be in the stadium?

BroncoWave
11-30-2012, 12:23 AM

It's not Pop's job to please the fans. It's his job to do what's best for the Spurs.

BeefStew25
11-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Resting his dudes for the playoffs everyone knows they are going to make is what he was doing.

The season is too long. And Stern is a dbag. The emporer has no clothes.

BroncoWave
11-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Stern can't fine them for a rule that doesn't exist. I've never seen the rule where a coach can't manage his team however he pleases.

BeefStew25
11-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Sten makes up rules as he goes. Enjoy the circus.

Poet
11-30-2012, 12:33 AM
What if an NFL team literally dressed 26 players, and all of those 26 players were not starters? And then they didn't even require those other 27 players to be in the stadium?

Then you have that same situation of darn.

BeefStew25
11-30-2012, 12:34 AM
David Stern is a comedy. Think about it.

Buff
11-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Yes, the season is too long, and yes Stern is a power hungry douche. But you negotiate that stuff through collective bargaining. This is the equivalent of civil disobedience, which is great in matters of politics and government, but the NBA is big business. Pop is biting the hand that feeds.

Dapper Dan
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
How dare he send these guys home. They may actually get time to spend with their families. They may be able to clear their heads and enjoy some down time. They should have sat on the bench for no reason because that's "professional".

Dapper Dan
11-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Ha. Wow. $250,000 fine.

Buff
11-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Way to stick it to the man, Pop. Hope it was worth it to get your point across.

BroncoWave
11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Ridiculous fine. This happens in every sport. Baseball players get days off all the time and NFL teams bench all of their stars when they have clinched a playoff spot in the last week. Even tanking NBA teams rest their stars at the end of the season to move up in the lottery. Stern is opening up a Pandora's box here.

BroncoWave
11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Apparently you aren't allowed to do what's best for your team to put them in the best shape for the playoffs anymore. A shame really.

BroncoWave
11-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Some tweets I have been reading:

From Darren Rovell: "FACT: There are 10 NBA teams right now who night in and night out give fans a worse show than the Spurs did last night."

Two from Bill Simmons:
-"Notorious DJS, "I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans."
-"Disservices DJS didn't mention: 16-game lockout; N.O. getting #1 pick, all "4 road games in 5 nights" trips; 1st CP3 trade; Sonics; Donaghy."

Dapper Dan
11-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Ridiculous fine. This happens in every sport. Baseball players get days off all the time and NFL teams bench all of their stars when they have clinched a playoff spot in the last week. Even tanking NBA teams rest their stars at the end of the season to move up in the lottery. Stern is opening up a Pandora's box here.

Someone will insist that what Pop did was to a greater degree.

But in my opinion, it would seem these "lesser actions" would still get some sort of fine anywhere less that $250,000 for doing something "wrong".

BroncoWave
11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
And just one more thing. If, say, the Grizzlies bench and send home Randolph, Gasol, Gay, and Conley in a non-televised game against the Bucks, do you think Stern is as outraged and levies a huge fine? I would think not. He's just pissed because they chose to do it in a big time TV game and he's too petty to let it go.

Poet
11-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Awful fine with zero logic behind it. Pathetic.

MOtorboat
11-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Awful fine with zero logic behind it. Pathetic.

Tons of logic behind it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/21207416/spurs-arrogance-fueled-penalty-new-nba-injury-policy-could-result

Poet
11-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Tons of logic behind it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/21207416/spurs-arrogance-fueled-penalty-new-nba-injury-policy-could-result

No there's not. The point's are legitimate. The argument ends when the players are not playing. It does not matter where they are.

MOtorboat
11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
No there's not. The point's are legitimate. The argument ends when the players are not playing. It does not matter where they are.

There is no good reason why un-injured players, paid millions of dollars, should not be on the sidelines for games. Zero good reasons. It was conduct detrimental to the league and the game.

Popovich absolutely deserved a fine. Probably deserved a suspension.

Dapper Dan
11-30-2012, 11:17 PM
There is no good reason why un-injured players, paid millions of dollars, should not be on the sidelines for games. Zero good reasons. It was conduct detrimental to the league and the game.

Popovich absolutely deserved a fine. Probably deserved a suspension.

I had to laugh at this one. Thanks, Mo.

Poet
11-30-2012, 11:25 PM
How was it detrimental? It didn't hurt anything because they were not going to play. That's the point, the players were not going to be active in that game.

MOtorboat
11-30-2012, 11:28 PM
How was it detrimental? It didn't hurt anything because they were not going to play. That's the point, the players were not going to be active in that game.

Find me one time when all five starters were benched and sent home. Go ahead. Find me one game where this has happened.

In any sport.

Dapper Dan
11-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Find me one time when all five starters were benched and sent home. Go ahead. Find me one game where this has happened.

In any sport.

That answers nothing.

Poet
11-30-2012, 11:33 PM

In any sport.

It's not really relevant. Find me a time with a team this old with that long of a road trip with a coach like Pop.

MOtorboat
11-30-2012, 11:34 PM
That answers nothing.

It absolutely does.

Popovich disregarded the spirit of the game. It was an egregious move.

MOtorboat
11-30-2012, 11:36 PM
It's not really relevant. Find me a time with a team this old with that long of a road trip with a coach like Pop.

If they are too old to bother even showing up for a game, they should retire.

Poet
12-01-2012, 12:03 AM
If they are too old to bother even showing up for a game, they should retire.

They're an old team who opted to rest their players during a long road stretch.

Dapper Dan
12-01-2012, 12:05 AM
The Spurs still put a team on the floor. Pop still coached. They still competed. If it's 5 bench players does it still matter?

At the end of the season the Falcons had better put their starters on the field. Fans pay to watch a regular season game. They want to see Jones, Ryan, Gonzales, and company. These guys get paid millions to play the game. Not to sit on the bench. They would be throwing a regular season game. Bush league! Taking away from the game. Rabble rabble.

Buff
12-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I take a great deal of satisfaction in Pop's fine. He thinks he is god's gift to basketball. He is above giving in-game interviews. He thinks he ought to be able to dictate his team's schedule to the league. He feels entitled.

He is an egotistical douche. I wish they would have fined him more.

MOtorboat
12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
They're an old team who opted to rest their players during a long road stretch.

Then if the players, un-injured, can't even bother showing up to the game, they shouldn't get paid.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2013, 11:26 PM
The San Antonio Spurs are being sued by a lawyer who is alleging the team violated the state's deceptive and fair trade practices law.

On Monday, Larry McGuinness filed a class-action suit in Miami-Dade County, stating Spurs coach Gregg Popovich "intentionally and surreptitiously" sent their best players home without the knowledge of the league, the team and the fans attending the Nov. 29 game against the Miami Heat. McGuinness contends that he, as well as other fans, "suffered economic damages" as a result of paying a premium price for a ticket that shouldn't cost more.

Before the game, Popovich sent Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green back to San Antonio, saying that he believed that resting his top players for their fourth game in five days was a smart decision.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8847216/san-antonio-spurs-sued-lawyer-resting-top-players

BroncoWave
01-15-2013, 11:33 PM
The lawyer who took that case is a faggot.

Buff
01-15-2013, 11:34 PM
I agree with the lawsuit.

MOtorboat
01-15-2013, 11:36 PM
I agree with the lawsuit.

It's pretty funny, actually.

Buff
01-15-2013, 11:36 PM
It's pretty funny, actually.

I assume it will be tossed out... But all along my problem with this move is that the only people who get screwed are fans. Pop wanted to stick it to the league at the expense of fans. That makes him a faggot.

Poet
01-15-2013, 11:37 PM
He wanted to help his team win games. Heaven forbid the man uses his coaching prowess.

Buff
01-15-2013, 11:43 PM
He wanted to help his team win games. Heaven forbid the man uses his coaching prowess.

Just not that game.

BroncoWave
01-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Just not that game.

I think he'd rather win a championship than a random-ass game in the regular season. I think Spurs fans would as well.

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 12:48 AM
I assume it will be tossed out... But all along my problem with this move is that the only people who get screwed are fans. Pop wanted to stick it to the league at the expense of fans. That makes him a faggot.

They are tax entities who got screwed too.

Don't forget that.

BroncoWave
05-28-2013, 10:02 PM
David Stern should rescind this fine now. The Spurs were clearly fresher in the playoffs than they have been in years. Pop's strategy of resting starters more worked.

MOtorboat
05-28-2013, 10:04 PM
David Stern should rescind this fine now. The Spurs were clearly fresher in the playoffs than they have been in years. Pop's strategy of resting starters more worked.

Or not.

BroncoWave
05-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Or not.

Oh, the Spurs aren't in the finals? My bad.

Davii
05-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Oh, the Spurs aren't in the finals? My bad.

I think he meant in response to rescinding the fine.

BroncoWave
05-28-2013, 10:25 PM
I think he meant in response to rescinding the fine.

Obviously he won't rescind the fine, I was just saying he should. This is the freshest the Spurs have looked in the playoffs in years. I have to imagine it has something to do with resting his players.

MOtorboat
05-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Obviously he won't rescind the fine, I was just saying he should. This is the freshest the Spurs have looked in the playoffs in years. I have to imagine it has something to do with resting his players.

I fundamentally disagree with what he did in Miami, which was a giant "**** you" to LeBron and David Stern, but that is absolutely not why they are in the finals.

To even suggest so is absurd.

Poet
05-29-2013, 12:18 AM
He should never have been fined in the first place.

Did resting those guys in that particular game get them there? No. But he manages time pretty damn well. It is ironic that they made the finals this year after that incident occurred.