PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Chief players asking Manning for autographs/photos??

DenBronx
11-27-2012, 02:42 PM
This is all over the news today. Its was only hours after they lost when Manning was trying to get on the team bus. Jamal Charles and Dwayne Bowe were waiting to get his autograph and take photos with Manning. I know Mannings a HOFer but what does that tell you if you are a Chief fan? It would leave a bad taste in my mouth as a Bronco fan if the roles were reversed. If the team is losing and quiting then why do it right after a loss??? I like what Dawkins said on ESPN First Take today....it makes sense when you play the same position and maybe we would do a jersey swap through our agents/management but it didnt make sense to wait by the team bus.

Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles apparently was so impressed with Peyton Manning's performance against his team that he asked for the quarterback's autograph after the game.

Williamson: Not A Big Deal

In its postgame report, KCTV aired video of Charles waiting for Manning as he departed the stadium to get his autograph. Manning rallied the AFC West-leading Denver Broncos to their eighth win of the season as the last-place Chiefs dropped their eighth straight game.

"My mom wanted this autograph," he told the television station.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8681979/jamaal-charles-kansas-city-chiefs-got-peyton-manning-autograph-loss-denver-broncos

Buff
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
When you're losing everything is an issue.

If they had won the game or had a solid record it would be a non-issue.

Thnikkaman
11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
It happens all the time according to Chris Carter from his time on the dreaded Mike and Mike show this morning. I've got no issue with it.

BroncoWave
11-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Complete non-issue. Are people really this bored that they are getting outraged over this? Good grief.

UnderArmour
11-27-2012, 02:51 PM
The Chiefs are 1-9 and have much bigger problems than this they need to worry about. This is only a story because it's Tuesday and there's really nothing else to report.

GEM
11-27-2012, 02:52 PM
The Chiefs fans should be outraged that their team didn't make a play for Manning when they have Cassel and Quinn as QB's. Dwayne Bowe should be playing for a better team, it's sad that he's wasted away on that roster.

Buff
11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
The Chiefs fans should be outraged that their team didn't make a play for Manning when they have Cassel and Quinn as QB's. Dwayne Bowe should be playing for a better team, it's sad that he's wasted away on that roster.

It's not really that sad. But I get your point.

topscribe
11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Premonition for next year: DT, Bowe, and Decker catching passes from Peyton.

Calls for another beer . . .

BroncoJoe
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Complete non-issue. Are people really this bored that they are getting outraged over this? Good grief.

/thread.

Buff
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Another? It's not even 1pm on Tuesday yet.

topscribe
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Another? It's not even 1pm on Tuesday yet.
For tonight. In addition to the one my wife let me have last Sunday . . .

Thnikkaman
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM

And Charles taking hand offs from Manning.

Buff
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
For tonight. In addition to the one my wife let me have last Sunday . . .

And all this time I thought you wore the pants in that relationship.

topscribe
11-27-2012, 03:06 PM
And Charles taking hand offs from Manning.
Now you're talking dynasty . . .

DenBronx
11-27-2012, 03:12 PM

how would you feel is a fan if Wesley Woodyard went over to Tom Brady for his autograph after losing earlier in the year?

BroncoWave
11-27-2012, 03:16 PM
how would you feel is a fan if Wesley Woodyard went over to Tom Brady for his autograph after losing earlier in the year?

I honestly would not care one bit. Athletes do this all the time. Fans who expect athletes on opposing teams to hate each other and not be buddies outside the field of play just aren't being realistic. As long as the athlete does his job on the field, I could give two shit how he fraternizes with opposing players after the game.

Thnikkaman
11-27-2012, 03:23 PM

The fan in me would be a little upset. Fan is short for fanatic. The rational part of me wouldn't give a crap.

topscribe
11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Speaking for myself, I would be fine with it . . .

Ravage!!!
11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I guess I don't see why anyone would be upset? So what? These guys are a fan of the game, just as much as anyone else. These players meeting and playing with/against guys THEY grew up watching and wishing to be like as children. These players were young when Manning started playing football, and now they are on the field WITH him..... thats an AWESOME feeling!

If I were a player, and just got smashed by Ray Lewis.... man... I'd have a grin on my face and then be sure to ask for a picture and autograph after the game. "I just got clobbered by one of the all-time greats."

GEM
11-27-2012, 04:41 PM
It's not really that sad. But I get your point.

Actually it is. The guy on a good team would be a superstar. It's sad to see wasted talent.

GEM
11-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Wouldn't give 2 shits. Would be saying that it must be a slow week in football if a reporter actually took the time to report that.

Northman
11-27-2012, 04:59 PM
I see both sides of this issue. On one hand it is just a game, there is more to life than this game so to harbor resentment over it can be petty.

The flipside is as a fan we have a lot more invested into our teams than the players do in this day and age of free agency. So i can also agree that after a loss it is a bit of a kick in the balls that they dont take it nearly to heart as we the fans do. But again, because players can come and go it doesnt seem like the good ol' days where you built a team up and made a legacy out of them. Obviously a guy like Champ and even Manning with the Colts probably have invested a lot in their franchises but i dont think most players care that much like they used too.

Its just a different generation of players. The only real team rivalry i see is the Steelers/Ravens where the players really dont care for another and in some cases i miss the days of John vs Seau, John vs Howie, or even Sharpe vs Derrick Thomas. As fans we want them to feel the same pain we do when we lose but i just dont think that kind of passion is there anymore. Sure, they like winning but they would probably like it anywhere as long as they got paid.

weazel
11-27-2012, 04:59 PM
I think its ghey... no grown man should ask for another grown man to sign anything for them. It's even more weak when they are peers.

sneakers
11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Not a big deal, I bet this happens after every game.

sneakers
11-27-2012, 05:01 PM

I would have no problem with it.

claymore
11-27-2012, 05:23 PM
On the flip side it makes me excited about Free Agencey this year. We are an attractive team again to quality Free Agents. Manning is a great selling point.

Thnikkaman
11-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Holy Shit it's Claymore!!!!

BroncoWave
11-27-2012, 05:42 PM
On the flip side it makes me excited about Free Agencey this year. We are an attractive team again to quality Free Agents. Manning is a great selling point.

If he doesn't get tagged Bowe should be our top FA target. Our passing game would be unstoppable if you throw him in the mix.

Ravage!!!
11-27-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the Chiefs aren't going to tag him. They are pretty upset with his drops. YOu guys think our WRs have drops, then you should watch Bowe play. Has a lot of talent, but has a VERY hard problem hanging onto the ball. But, as we've seen from our own team, having a good QB can change that a lot.

All that being said, I truly do not see the Chiefs tagging him.. nor do I see them resigning him.

DenBronx
11-27-2012, 11:09 PM

No doubt! But I think its more than just Manning nowdays. We have a defense on the rise, an excellent coaching staff, solid fan base, great stadium and proud owner/vp. Elway I think knows how athletes think and hes just as hungry for another ring as he was when he played.

I think Bowe would be interesting but it depends on what happens to Stokley after the season. Remember Wes Welker is an URFA after the season....and he would thrive here in Denver. I doubt the Pats pay him and with Black n Decker and Welker this offense would be on another planet of its own. I love Stoke but if he's going to retire after the year then we really need to look at Welker and not Bowe.

Doesnt Charles get hurt alot?? Not so sure we should pay a high priced RB either. This team is passing the ball at will and I think that only helps RBs.

OrangeHoof
11-28-2012, 12:05 AM
NFL players from various teams all go hunting, fishing, All-Pro games, charity events, public appearances, etc.together. You can't possibly expect the players not to fraternize or get autographs and photos with each other. It's an old-school prohibition that is no longer relevant in the world of free agency and the internet.

honz
11-28-2012, 12:26 AM
It's an autograph. It's not like they went to dinner and a movie. ESPN's NFL coverage is like a soap opera.

turftoad
11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
It's PFM!! I don't blame anyone, anyone for want his sig.

Davii
11-28-2012, 12:38 AM
No issue with this at all. If Woodyard got an autograph from Brady, I wouldn't care. Hell, I would go ask a future HOFer that just beat the Broncos for an autograph.

Softskull
11-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Arian Foster said it best:

I got @jcharles25's autograph at the pro bowl 2010. We can't be fans? I switch jerseys with players damn near every game. Y'all trippin'.

BroncoWave
11-28-2012, 01:13 AM
It's an autograph. It's not like they went to dinner and a movie. ESPN's NFL coverage is like a soap opera.

That would be pretty funny if they got dinner and a movie.

MOtorboat
11-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Nothing wrong with it. But I guarantee there'd be a lot of posters who'd be whining if the tables were turned.

I remember the "smiling" and "joking" arguments in 2009. Those were so utterly ridiculous...

bcbronc
11-28-2012, 03:53 AM
imo save it for the Probowl. Waiting by the bus like an 8 year old is kinda lame. It's not a big deal, but I'd still rather not hear that Woodyard was waiting by the Charger's bus to get Phillip River's autograph after the Chargers had just beat us on our own turf. Like I said, not a big deal but save it for the probowl.

Thnikkaman
11-28-2012, 07:52 AM
imo save it for the Probowl. Waiting by the bus like an 8 year old is kinda lame. It's not a big deal, but I'd still rather not hear that Woodyard was waiting by the Charger's bus to get Phillip River's autograph after the Chargers had just beat us on our own turf. Like I said, not a big deal but save it for the probowl.

Why save it when they have the opopportunity right after the game? Why pick nits?

BroncoNut
11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
how do I FEEL about this? I could care less as long as none of them pull a Tanya Harding

Dzone
11-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Who cares? Big deal. Slow day at espn

BroncoJoe
11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
LOTS of players, young and old waited for Favre to get his autograph in his last couple years. It's not like they're doing it during the game...

BroncoWave
11-28-2012, 10:06 AM

Very few players make the Pro Bowl. Kinda a lame argument.

TXBRONC
11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't see a problem with this and if the roles were reversed I still wouldn't care.

MasterShake
11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Man, if I was skilled enough to play in the NFL you bet I'd be getting autographs and jerseys from players I like and respect. If I could I'd have the sideline photographer get a picture of me, Manning, and D Thomas after they smoked me for a TD DURING a game. No shame in that.

Fullback32
11-28-2012, 11:00 AM
It's Peyton Manning. Who wouldn't want his autograph?

Chef Zambini
11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
how would you feel is a fan if Wesley Woodyard went over to Tom Brady for his autograph after losing earlier in the year?i would have to end my life.
unless of course it was for his mother.

Chef Zambini
11-28-2012, 11:48 AM
how do I FEEL about this? I could care less as long as none of them pull a Tanya Hardinghow much less could you care?

NightTerror218
11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
spoof on manning signatures

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000101828?module=HP11_content_stream

bcbronc
11-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Why save it when they have the opopportunity right after the game? Why pick nits?

I dunno, I just feel that after losing at home to a divisional rival that I'd like it to at least put my players in a bad mood. Not that they have to stay that way all night, but rushing out to get an autograph is a bit weird to me.

Reminds me of a time in the late 80s or early 90s when a Vancouver Canuck (Petr Nedved) asked Wayne Gretzky for his stick during the hbdshake after they eliminated us from the playoffs. Left a bad taste in my mouth because it wasn't the right time or place.

I personally feel the same way about this situation. Ask before the game, or set something up for later during the postgame meet n greet. Etc etc. Not that I'd want to tar and feather any bronco in a similar situation but I'd be disppointed that they'd moved on from the loss at home so quickly.

But then I don't get the point of autographs. I can't see myself ever asking someone to put theirname on a piece of paper for me, and if my mom asked me too I'd tell her to grow up. Might be why I don't get doing it right after a game like this. *shrugs*

Ravage!!!
11-28-2012, 02:01 PM
The Fans get so much more emotional about these things than playrs do. After games, I would often joke around with opposing players. Some you didn't, but mostly its a feeling of "DAMNIiiiiiiiiiit".... but you left it on the field. You did what you could, when you could. Fans are the ones that "hate" other teams, and other team's players, and opposing fans.

weazel
11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
wanting another mans signature on anything but a cheque is ******* gay

Thnikkaman
11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
The Fans get so much more emotional about these things than playrs do. After games, I would often joke around with opposing players. Some you didn't, but mostly its a feeling of "DAMNIiiiiiiiiiit".... but you left it on the field. You did what you could, when you could. Fans are the ones that "hate" other teams, and other team's players, and opposing fans.

I will admit to saying I hate other players. Honestly, I have a strong disliking for Tom Brady, but I admire what he can do even though I think he's a total douche bag. Yes in the heat of the moment I will use the word Hate, but there has only been one professional athlete that I could claim that I actually hate, and that is Todd Bertuzzi.

MasterShake
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I will admit to saying I hate other players. Honestly, I have a strong disliking for Tom Brady, but I admire what he can do even though I think he's a total douche bag. Yes in the heat of the moment I will use the word Hate, but there has only been one professional athlete that I could claim that I actually hate, and that is Todd Bertuzzi.

Would you get a picture or autograph from Tom Brady if you met him?

Davii
11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
wanting another mans signature on anything but a cheque is ******* gay

Spelling "check" with a "que" is as gay as Tom Brady.

Davii
11-28-2012, 02:33 PM

How do you feel about Brian Boitano?

Ravage!!!
11-28-2012, 02:33 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

weazel
11-28-2012, 02:41 PM

guess it depends where your from... but the English language in general is pretty gay

Thnikkaman
11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Would you get a picture or autograph from Tom Brady if you met him?

Without a doubt.

Thnikkaman
11-28-2012, 03:14 PM
How do you feel about Brian Boitano?

Excellent skater, but he shouldn't be hosting cooking shows.

G_Money
11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I just figured Charles and Bowe were trying to figure out how to switch teams. Bowe and DT on the outside, Decker in the slot, and Charles, McGahee and Hillman rotating through the backfield in 2013 would be lots of fun.

Autographs are just the official cover story. :salute:

~G

DenBronx
11-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Peyton addressed the critisism of Jamal Charles today. Theres an article in PFT but im not able to post it through my cell here at work. Its a good article so if someone can post it id appreciate it. Should put the critcs to rest, including me I guess. lol

DenBronx
11-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I see it as a very high compliment to Peyton but I guess it just didnt make sense after a divisional loss. Props to Peyton for sticking up for Charles.....

tubby
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Bfd

Chiefs suck