PDA

View Full Version : Broncos can clinch the AFC West this week.

BroncoWave
11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
With a win over TB or a SD loss to Cincy Denver will clinch the AFCW with 4 games to play. Will be nice not to have to sweat out getting into the playoffs for once.

SR
11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
With a win over TB or a SD loss to Cincy Denver will clinch the AFCW with 4 games to play. Will be nice not to have to sweat out getting into the playoffs for once.

As long as the Broncos that aren't used to winning don't get complacent...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Northman
11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Yep.

Bury the rest of the AFCW and go and take care of the dirty birds ourselves to secure the second seed.

BroncoWave
11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
As long as the Broncos that aren't used to winning don't get complacent...

I feel pretty safe in saying we aren't going to lose out and SD win out. We still play Oakland, KC, and Cleveland.

Northman
11-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I feel pretty safe in saying we aren't going to lose out and SD win out. We still play Oakland, KC, and Cleveland.

To be fair, the Brownies have beaten the Chargers and Steelers. But i agree, we shouldnt lose any game outside of maybe Tampa or Bmore. But even then i think we can win those games.

BroncoWave
11-25-2012, 08:38 PM
To be fair, the Brownies have beaten the Chargers and Steelers. But i agree, we shouldnt lose any game outside of maybe Tampa or Bmore. But even then i think we can win those games.

And even more unlikely than any of that is the Chargers winning out. They are creating new ways to lose games every week.

Magnificent Seven
11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Just WIN all 5 games! However, Denver can get the first-round bye if Broncos win over Ravens and Dolphins win over Patriots.

SR
11-25-2012, 09:15 PM

I was talking more about losing a strong of games heading in to the playoffs. SD won't catch us but I don't want us to walk backwards in to the playoffs.

Rick
11-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Isn't it nice to be talking about how to get a bye again instead of how to sneak in the playoffs?

BroncoWave
11-25-2012, 09:35 PM
For the record we just need to win out and have NE lose one to get the bye.

Pudge
11-25-2012, 09:45 PM

The fight San Diego put up makes me think we can beat the ravens fairly easy and that was the biggest question I saw on the rest of the schedule

CrazyHorse
11-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Yep. They still have to play Houston and San Francisco. If they lose both it will give us a little more wiggle room as long as we still beat the Ravens.

BroncoWave
11-25-2012, 09:46 PM
The fight San Diego put up makes me think we can beat the ravens fairly easy and that was the biggest question I saw on the rest of the schedule

I wouldn't say we will beat the Ravens easily in their place but we certainly have a chance in it. We have to defend the run better than we did today though.

scott.475
11-25-2012, 10:52 PM

Why do we need to beat TB or depend on SD? We have 4 division wins, with 2 division games to go. Isn't non-division play irrelevant to us clinching the AFCW? The risks we have at losing the division are: we would have to lose to KC and OAK, then either SD wins over Oak OR OAK beats both SD and us. We would have to have a lot go wrong to lose the division at this point, not that we aren't above that.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the original post.

OrangeHoof
11-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Yep. They still have to play Houston and San Francisco. If they lose both it will give us a little more wiggle room as long as we still beat the Ravens.

But New England gets both games at home in conditions very un-SF-like and un-Texas-like.

I Eat Staples
11-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Why do we need to beat TB or depend on SD? We have 4 division wins, with 2 division games to go. Isn't non-division play irrelevant to us clinching the AFCW? The risks we have at losing the division are: we would have to lose to KC and OAK, then either SD wins over Oak OR OAK beats both SD and us. We would have to have a lot go wrong to lose the division at this point, not that we aren't above that.

The team with the best overall record wins the division, everything else are just tiebreakers. It's not like college conferences.

Poet
11-25-2012, 11:12 PM
And even more unlikely than any of that is the Chargers winning out. They are creating new ways to lose games every week.

Let's hope that trend continues!!!

Army Bronco
11-25-2012, 11:16 PM

The team with the best overall record wins the division, everything else are just tiebreakers. It's not like college conferences. Didnt the Chiefs win the division while the Raiders went undefeated in the division the same year back in 2010?

I Eat Staples
11-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Didnt the Chiefs win the division while the Raiders went undefeated in the division the same year back in 2010?

Yeah, because the Raiders couldn't beat anyone else.

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Best overall record wins the division. Currently we are 8-3 and the chargers are 4-7. If we win out and they lose out they would be 9-7 with us at 8-8. If we win next week, the worst we could finish is 9-7, which is the best the Chargers could finish. Since we swept them we have the tiebreaker.

scott.475
11-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Best overall record wins the division. Currently we are 8-3 and the chargers are 4-7. If we win out and they lose out they would be 9-7 with us at 8-8. If we win next week, the worst we could finish is 9-7, which is the best the Chargers could finish. Since we swept them we have the tiebreaker.

I honestly had no idea that was the case, I thought it all started with division record. As many years as I've loved football and the Broncos you'd think I would have figured that out on my own. In my defense, I have only gotten really interested in the more technical aspects over the last few years.

bcbronc
11-26-2012, 01:07 AM
one more win also gives us our first >.500 season since 2006.

Magnificent Seven
11-26-2012, 01:36 AM

Do you remember Broncos' season 2006? Final game of the regular season. Broncos knocked out of playoff picture by Niners. Niners ended Broncos' season. My point is... NFC teams can knock any AFC team out from AFC playoff picture.

ATLbroNCO
11-26-2012, 03:20 AM
I like our chances at a bye as long as we take care of business in Baltimore....

NE Remaining: Dolphins twice, Texans, Niners. I would expect them to at least lose one, more likely two of those.

We have the Bucs and Baltimore as the most formidable opponents. If we only beat the Ravens, and not fall to any of our trap games, hello playoff bye. Who knows, maybe we won't even have to deal with the Patriots ever again this season *crossing fingers*

OrangeHoof
11-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I don't see the Patriots losing to anyone left on their schedule. The tough games are all at home.

With Big Ben injured, I don't see the Ravens losing either, except possibly to us.

I see the Texans losing in Foxboro and splitting with the Colts (they've never won at Indy), which, if the rest of my projections follow form would mean the final AFC seedings would be:

1. Baltimore 14-2
2. New England 13-3
3. Houston 13-3
4. Denver 12-4
5. Indianapolis 11-5
6. Pittsburgh 10-6

Of course, upsets do happen. This is just how I see it playing out.

Then again, I had K-State and Notre Dame in the national championship game just a couple of weeks ago so what do I know?

T.K.O.
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
the Pats have some kind of "super-mojo" going on again...they are +168 points....like double the differential than othe top teams.
it's a bit freakin' scary how the ball has been bouncing their way in all three phases.
that being said i still think the Broncos will be much better prepared to beat them in the playoffs...BUT , it would be nice to play that game in Denver.cuz,they are kickin arse at foxboro

Northman
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't see the Patriots losing to anyone left on their schedule. The tough games are all at home.

With Big Ben injured, I don't see the Ravens losing either, except possibly to us.

I see the Texans losing in Foxboro and splitting with the Colts (they've never won at Indy), which, if the rest of my projections follow form would mean the final AFC seedings would be:

1. Baltimore 14-2
2. New England 13-3
3. Houston 13-3
4. Denver 12-4
5. Indianapolis 11-5
6. Pittsburgh 10-6

Then again, I had K-State and Notre Dame in the national championship game just a couple of weeks ago so what do I know?

Hmm, i dont know. I could easily see Bmore going down to anyone except the Steelers right now. Wash, NY Giants, Denver, and Cincy are all playing for the playoffs so there wont be any slouching. Bmore isnt nearly as good as they were earlier in the season.

As to NE, they still have Houston and San Fran so those are no gimme's.

I actually like our schedule far more than theirs right now. I really only see us losing to Bmore and thats a "maybe" right now.

Nomad
11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I wonder if the BRONCOS score more than 16 against the Bucs.

Northman
11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I wonder if the BRONCOS score more than 16 against the Bucs.

For most of the year they have averaged 25-30 points. And considering the Bucs have the 30th ranked defense in the league i dont see a problem.

Nomad
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
For most of the year they have averaged 25-30 points. And considering the Bucs have the 30th ranked defense in the league i dont see a problem.

I looked up on PFR to see the history and the last couple games between the 2 teams, the score has been 16-13 BRONCOS. I know...different teams, different years.

Northman
11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
I looked up on PFR to see the history and the last couple games between the 2 teams, the score has been 16-13 BRONCOS. I know...different teams, different years.

Our only achilles heel is turnovers. I like our chances at home, out in Tampa i would say we might lose but at home i feel pretty good about it.

BroncoJoe
11-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Our only achilles heel is turnovers. I like our chances at home, out in Tampa i would say we might lose but at home i feel pretty good about it.

Seems like we struggle against smallish running backs and the Bucs concern me almost as equally as the Ravens do.

CoachChaz
11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
We gave up 148 rushing yards to the #4 rushing team that averages 145 per game. Not a great performance, but nothing that scares the hell out of me either. If there is a concern with that number...it's that we should have expected the run.

CoachChaz
11-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Seems like we struggle against smallish running backs and the Bucs concern me almost as equally as the Ravens do.

I dont know why. Prior to the draft, I was informed ad nauseum that Doug Martin wasnt a good RB

I Eat Staples
11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't see San Fran beating New England. They don't strike me as a team that can outscore anyone, and I don't see any defense completely shutting down Brady and that offense. Houston vs NE is a toss up for me.

Baltimore scared me early in the year, but their offense is struggling lately. I'm more worried about Tampa than them. I would love someone to knock off NE in the playoffs and we end up playing Baltimore.

Day1BroncoFan
11-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I think any team that can pressure brady can win, sf is the team that can do that.

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 04:47 PM
I just hope someone can find a way to take down the Pats. If so we control our own destiny for a bye.

T.K.O.
11-26-2012, 06:14 PM
whoa there fella's....controlling our destiny? bye week? let's see if this team improves after squeeking one out agaist the 1-9 chiefs led by brady frickin' quinn. before we start talkin coasting to the SB;)
i think we have a chance against anyone in the remaining reg season schedule...BUT. if the Broncos play like they did sunday against any remaining teams they WILL lose.
that means Tampa,baltimore or oakland COULD beat us.
not sayin' they will but the Broncos need to play better than they did last week.
you also have to factor in that we could win the div. next week then we probably wont be seeing much of Manning or DT and even Miller and Doom for that matter in the closing weeks.
we could head to the playoffs with a 10-6 record but a very healthy squad

topscribe
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
whoa there fella's....controlling our destiny? bye week? let's see if this team improves after squeeking one out agaist the 1-9 chiefs led by brady frickin' quinn. before we start talkin coasting to the SB;)
i think we have a chance against anyone in the remaining reg season schedule...BUT. if the Broncos play like they did sunday against any remaining teams they WILL lose.
that means Tampa,baltimore or oakland COULD beat us.
not sayin' they will but the Broncos need to play better than they did last week.
you also have to factor in that we could win the div. next week then we probably wont be seeing much of Manning or DT and even Miller and Doom for that matter in the closing weeks.
we could head to the playoffs with a 10-6 record but a very healthy squad

Why do you think Denver will play like they did last week? Every team has up and
down games. Denver was down, and they still won against KC's best shot. I am
as encouraged from that game as I have been all year.

So what do you think Tampa's gonna do when its #32 ranked pass defense runs
into Peyton & Co.? I'm less nervous about this game than I was last week's . . .

T.K.O.
11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
i was,nt very nervous going in to last weeks game.even though i fully realize playing the chiefs at arrowhead is usually a pretty tall order...however playing a 1-9 team with a back up qb SHOULD be a cake walk for a team that has it's sights set on some january playing time.
i am far more nervous about next week than i have been since week 6.
and all i'm saying is ...if the Broncos play again sunday like they did at arrowhead.Tampa will destroy them.
i agree it was an off week but again a couple of those and we'll be on the road alot in the playoffs.
just sayin' it might be a bit early to be talking bye week.:salute:

TXBRONC
11-26-2012, 07:10 PM

1. Baltimore 14-2
2. New England 13-3
3. Houston 13-3
4. Denver 12-4
5. Indianapolis 11-5
6. Pittsburgh 10-6

The Texans are more than capable of beating the Patriots.