PDA

View Full Version : Good sign?

MOtorboat
11-25-2012, 04:24 PM
That's the type of game Denver would lose in the past (Post-Elway, Pre-Manning). And even though there seems to be a lot to work on, and it wasn't a well played game, Denver didn't lose. They had to gut that out.

So, is that a good sign? Is this a team that can gut through some wins, even if it's not playing well? Personally, I think so.

Northman
11-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Not really.

Luckily today we played a very bad offense.

cmc0605
11-25-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm a little too scientific to believe in "signs" but I can agree to my fullest capacity. I always hated watching Denver in Arrowhead, regardless of whether the Chiefs or Broncos were having a better year. And I do agree we lose that game in the past, especially in the Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson days.

I'm really excited about this team and feel that they can compete with anyone. I'm a little worried about our offense against really good defenses and our defense against really good offenses (e.g., the Pats) but right now I actually think we have the most complete team in the NFL.

NightTrainLayne
11-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Good teams have to find ways to win games like that one. I agree, it's a good sign.

Northman
11-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Had we beaten the Falcons and Pats i would agree. But basing that off a opponent who is very bad isnt a true measurement in my opinion.

MOtorboat
11-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Had we beaten the Falcons and Pats i would agree. But basing that off a opponent who is very bad isnt a true measurement in my opinion.

Even gutting out a win over a team you should beat in a place you never play well means nothing at all?

It's not like we're talking about college ball and Alabama playing poorly against Sam Houston State.

Northman
11-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Even gutting out a win over a team you should beat in a place you never play well means nothing at all?

It's not like we're talking about college ball and Alabama playing poorly against Sam Houston State.

Oh, it means something. Especially against a rival but had we turned it over a couple of more times do you really think we pull that out? That was the only real saving grace today is that we only had one turnover. I just cant get THAT excited over a ugly win like you are here (not saying your bad because of it). While this shit happens to every team i really do wish we would of gone out and just blasted them. Maybe we do it when they come to Denver but i really want to see some offensive dominance right now.

Skinny
11-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I would say yes and no. I would hope that they would have to gut it out against a better team than the Chiefs. This game was a bit of a let down. Hopefully when we play a much better team, and it's gut check time, we can still gut it out for the W. Sometimes teams play up or down to the competition their playing. I think we played down to KC today. We're much better than we showed.

MOtorboat
11-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh, it means something. Especially against a rival but had we turned it over a couple of more times do you really think we pull that out? That was the only real saving grace today is that we only had one turnover. I just cant get THAT excited over a ugly win like you are here (not saying your bad because of it). While this shit happens to every team i really do wish we would of gone out and just blasted them. Maybe we do it when they come to Denver but i really want to see some offensive dominance right now.

I guess I'm not necessarily saying I'm excited, per se, I'm just trying to convey that that is definitely a place Denver tends to lose, even when they shouldn't. And the fact that they didn't lose in Kansas City is a good sign. Obviously not a sign that there's a championship brewing in Denver, but a sign that this is a good football team.

Northman
11-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I would say yes and no. I would hope that they would have to gut it out against a better team than the Chiefs. This game was a bit of a let down. Hopefully when we play a much better team, and it's gut check time, we can still gut it out for the W. Sometimes teams play up or down to the competition their playing. I think we played down to KC today. We're much better than we showed.

Totally agree with this. Gutting out wins vs very good teams is good. Gutting them out vs the scrubs of the NFL is a bit of a downer. But a win is still a win so thats the good news. Hopefully, Fox and company kick them in the ass this week.

Northman
11-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I guess I'm not necessarily saying I'm excited, per se, I'm just trying to convey that that is definitely a place Denver tends to lose, even when they shouldn't. And the fact that they didn't lose in Kansas City is a good sign. Obviously not a sign that there's a championship brewing in Denver, but a sign that this is a good football team.

Well, i think we both can agree that the sign of a good football team started with Manning showed up and you know who was traded. :)

Mike
11-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Division game on the road. I'm happy for the win. Not all will be pretty and I agree that this is a game Denver loses in the past.

Still, something is really wrong with the offense. I look forward to seeing a real OC next season.

Simple Jaded
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Not really.

Luckily today we played a very bad offense.

Apparently you missed their Rookie LT/LG clown-hammering the right side of Denver's D as well as Doom and Miller quiet for the most part.......

BroncoWave
11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Division game on the road. I'm happy for the win. Not all will be pretty and I agree that this is a game Denver loses in the past.

Still, something is really wrong with the offense. I look forward to seeing a real OC next season.

The problem with the offense is that our WR/TEs were invisible today. Dropping passes all over the place and all of Manning's sacks were because noone could get open. Manning and Moreno were both very good today.

Simple Jaded
11-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I guess it's a good sign when the offense scores a season low 17 in Arrowhead and "something is really wrong with the offense".......

Northman
11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I think we scored 17 last year there too. Of course we only scored 3 at home vs them so lets hope we do better than that.

tomjonesrocks
11-25-2012, 06:18 PM
I think coming out and routing this team like they should have would have showed a lot more.

A win is a win though.

LTC Pain
11-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I think a tough win in Arrowhead is a good sign. It builds team character and identity. Too many Broncos fans expected a blowout. KC has a good defense. Too bad some are disappointed in a 17-9 win.

Simple Jaded
11-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Point is, they score 17 last year and it was a big day, they score 17 this year and something is seriously wrong.......

Northman
11-25-2012, 06:25 PM
I think a tough win in Arrowhead is a good sign. It builds team character and identity. Too many Broncos expected a blowout. KC has a good defense. Too bad some are disappointed in a 17-9 win.

No one is disappointed with the win, we just know they can do a lot better and if we played like that vs a much better team is a concern for some more objective fans.

dogfish
11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
is it nice to be good enough to beat the bottom-feeders when we aren't sharp? sure it is. . . is it a good sign? absolutely not. . . just a preview. . . soft run D and dropped passes are going to get us beat in the playoffs if we don't get that shit turned around. . .

Locnar
11-25-2012, 06:57 PM
I think any time you can over come two missed field goals (from a guy who is pretty much automatic) in an environment like KC is a good sign. However if we play a game like this against an actual quarterback we probably lose. But I am really impressed with KC's secondary, they have a knack for knocking passes away, and the way that ball was wobbling today I think we are lucky Moreno only threw one pic.

SR
11-25-2012, 07:01 PM
I think any time you can over come two missed field goals (from a guy who is pretty much automatic) in an environment like KC is a good sign. However if we play a game like this against an actual quarterback we probably lose. But I am really impressed with KC's secondary, they have a knack for knocking passes away, and the way that ball was wobbling today I think we are lucky Moreno only threw one pic.

It's amazing to me that after letting Carr go their secondary is still as good as it is. With Arenas, Flowers, Hali, and Johnson they have a solid core of players on D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Day1BroncoFan
11-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Moreno threw a pick?

This game is a win but not a good sign to me. Dropped passes and the D got gashed.

LTC Pain
11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Moreno threw a pick?

This game is a win but not a good sign to me. Dropped passes and the D got gashed.

Get with it D1BF. Peyton Moreno and Knowshon Manning! Didn't you get the roster changes? :beer: :salute: :laugh: :lol:

I Eat Staples
11-25-2012, 10:49 PM

If Moreno was out there throwing picks, I wouldn't consider us lucky at all.

I think a tough win in Arrowhead is a good sign. It builds team character and identity. Too many Broncos fans expected a blowout. KC has a good defense. Too bad some are disappointed in a 17-9 win.

KC's defense really isn't good, although it isn't terrible and definitely showed up to play today. Give them some credit for playing us tough, but we shouldn't have played down to their level.

Chef Zambini
11-26-2012, 02:28 AM

It's not like we're talking about college ball and Alabama playing poorly against Sam Houston State.funny you bring up alalabama,
what did they do to AUBURN? !!!
we should have beat the cheifs, like the tide beat the auburn squad.
Our guys played lacidasical. They looked like they took the cheifs for granted.
I was dissapointed with the nergy, focus, desire, execution...ATTITUDE !

no, its not a good sign, but it is a wake-up call for any punk player who thinks he can take any opponent lightly.

Chef Zambini
11-26-2012, 02:32 AM
I think a tough win in Arrowhead is a good sign. It builds team character and identity. Too many Broncos fans expected a blowout. KC has a good defense. Too bad some are disappointed in a 17-9 win.its not the score thats dissapointing, itds the dogshit manner in whiuch m,any played.
I just read about the death of a teammates father. that could well explain the lack of focus exhibited by the team in the first half.

Tned
11-26-2012, 08:43 AM
The problem with the offense is that our WR/TEs were invisible today. Dropping passes all over the place and all of Manning's sacks were because noone could get open. Manning and Moreno were both very good today.

Yea, I'm really surprised at how well covered our receivers seemed to be, and as you say, dropped passes quite a few times when they did get it thrown their way. Will try and find some time to watch the all-22 film when it shows up on Gamerewind later in the week to see if the coverage really was as good as it looked.

MOtorboat
11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
funny you bring up alalabama,
what did they do to AUBURN? !!!
we should have beat the cheifs, like the tide beat the auburn squad.
Our guys played lacidasical. They looked like they took the cheifs for granted.
I was dissapointed with the nergy, focus, desire, execution...ATTITUDE !

no, its not a good sign, but it is a wake-up call for any punk player who thinks he can take any opponent lightly.

its not the score thats dissapointing, itds the dogshit manner in whiuch m,any played.
I just read about the death of a teammates father. that could well explain the lack of focus exhibited by the team in the first half.

Lets not forget there was another team on the field that played out of their minds yesterday. The Chiefs defense played extremely well. But Denver still got the win.

BroncoJoe
11-26-2012, 09:13 AM
KC's defense is no slouch - they're ranked 12th in passing defense. It's always a battle at Arrowhead.

NightTrainLayne
11-26-2012, 09:21 AM
KC's defense is no slouch - they're ranked 12th in passing defense. It's always a battle at Arrowhead.

I have a feeling KC's defense would be ranked higher if their offense was worth a shit.

Nomad
11-26-2012, 09:25 AM
I have a feeling KC's defense would be ranked higher if their offense was worth a shit.

I believe they are fine at the run game. Being creative at play calling and passing game is their weakness, then again Brady didn't do too bad yesterday and the oline did a decent job of protecting Quinn.

BRONCOS need to tighten up their offense and run defense for next Sunday.

BigDaddyBronco
11-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey, this was a trap game. KC is a 1-10 team, but Camerohead is still a hard place for us. They were up to play their division rival at home and had nothing to lose. We came in and had plenty of mistakes and started slow again and was still able to walk out with a win. It's a good sign if we can beat teams playing like crap. That is what good teams do, find a way to win. Look at Houston the last two weeks going to overtime to beat two inferior teams, that is what good teams can do.

Thnikkaman
11-26-2012, 10:44 AM
I said before that we weren't going to blow out KC in KC. I need to see highlights though since I was on the road during the game.

Northman
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Hey, this was a trap game. KC is a 1-10 team, but Camerohead is still a hard place for us. They were up to play their division rival at home and had nothing to lose. We came in and had plenty of mistakes and started slow again and was still able to walk out with a win. It's a good sign if we can beat teams playing like crap. That is what good teams do, find a way to win. Look at Houston the last two weeks going to overtime to beat two inferior teams, that is what good teams can do.

Or you can be like the Pats and blow the a bad team like the Jets out of the building.

Traveler
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
The one remaining question is can we beat a team this year with a winning record? We have yet to do so thusfar this season. Losses to ATL, NE, and HOU. TB is a pretty solid team. Let's see if DEN can break the streak.

Nomad
11-26-2012, 11:10 AM
The one remaining question is can we beat a team this year with a winning record? We have yet to do so thusfar this season. Losses to ATL, NE, and HOU. TB is a pretty solid team. Let's see if DEN can break the streak.

Good point! BRONCOS offense tends to have trouble keeping up, while the defense stays on the field too long.

I Eat Staples
11-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Well, San Diego would have a winning record if it wasn't for us sweeping them. Pit has a winning record and we beat them.

weazel
11-26-2012, 02:04 PM

I don't know North, one more drive and we would have beat Atlanta. Just came out to slow in that game and ran out of time.

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 02:10 PM

We beat Pitt. And we smashed a New Orleans team who has won 5 of their last 7. And those losses all came early in the season before our offense or defense really started to gel. We would beat Atlanta if we played them today. I think we'd also beat Houston and have a decent shot at NE.

weazel
11-26-2012, 02:15 PM
We beat Pitt. And we smashed a New Orleans team who has won 5 of their last 7. And those losses all came early in the season before our offense or defense really started to gel. We would beat Atlanta if we played them today. I think we'd also beat Houston and have a decent shot at NE.

Houston's defense have been exposed and they have no linebackers. They had 4 linebackers dressed this week so basically had no replacements when they got tired.

Traveler
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Can't count PIT since it was the first game of the season. What was NO's record when we played them? 2-5? Woulda, shoulda, coulda, DIDN"T against ATL, HOU and NE.

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Can't count PIT since it was the first game of the season. What was NO's record when we played them? 2-5? Woulda, shoulda, coulda, DIDN"T against ATL, HOU and NE.

Wait, so a win over a team doesn't count because of when it happened? Talk about ridiculous.

On yeah, and we won AT Cincy who is 6-5. How do you explain that one not counting?

Thnikkaman
11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Wait, so a win over a team doesn't count because of when it happened? Talk about ridiculous.

On yeah, and we won AT Cincy who is 6-5. How do you explain that one not counting?

Some fans of this team just aren't going to be happy unless they are losing or are bad.

I Eat Staples
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot Cincy had a winning record now. They might be a bit better than their record, too.

Beating the Steelers in week 1 certainly "counts." That argument might make sense if we played them this week with Batch at QB, but they had a healthy Roethlisberger and Polamalu, so actually our win against them is more telling than some other teams who beat them.

Traveler
11-26-2012, 03:14 PM

I'm saying the teams we lost to this year all had winning records AT the time we played them. So no, PIT doesn't count nor does CIN. Their record was 3-5 when we played them. We have yet to beat a team this season that has a winning record at the time we play them.

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm saying the teams we lost to this year all had winning records AT the time we played them. So no, PIT doesn't count nor does CIN. Their record was 3-5 when we played them. We have yet to beat a team this season that has a winning record at the time we play them.

This is such an utter load of bullshit it's laughable really. A team's overall record doesn't necessarily reflect how they are currently playing. The Saints have been playing MUCH better than their 2-5 record when we played them would indicate. The Bengals have also been playing much better than how they started. And against Pitt there was every reason we should have lost with them hellbent on revenge from the playoffs, having all offseason to prepare for the game, and with us breaking in an entirely new offense. That was a very impressive win.

But yeah, shame on us for barely losing to 3 teams with a combined record of 26-5. That clearly proves that we are incapable of competing with the top dogs.

Traveler
11-26-2012, 03:44 PM
This is such an utter load of bullshit it's laughable really. A team's overall record doesn't necessarily reflect how they are currently playing. The Saints have been playing MUCH better than their 2-5 record when we played them would indicate. The Bengals have also been playing much better than how they started. And against Pitt there was every reason we should have lost with them hellbent on revenge from the playoffs, having all offseason to prepare for the game, and with us breaking in an entirely new offense. That was a very impressive win.

But yeah, shame on us for barely losing to 3 teams with a combined record of 26-5. That clearly proves that we are incapable of competing with the top dogs.

Call it what you want, but don't put words in my mouth. Nothing you can say to dispute what I've stated. Nowhere did I say we were incapable of beating or competing.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with how this team has progressed. But the truth is we have yet to beat a team this year with a winning record AT the time we have played them. That's my only criteria. Got it?

Until such time, we are still working to become one of the upper tier teams in the league.

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Call it what you want, but don't put words in my mouth. Nothing you can say to dispute what I've stated. Nowhere did I say we were incapable of beating or competing.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with how this team has progressed. But the truth is we have yet to beat a team this year with a winning record AT the time we have played them. That's my only criteria. Got it?

Until such time, we are still working to become one of the upper tier teams in the league.

That's a stupid criteria. Got it?

BroncoJoe
11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how pissy people get over a fvking win.

LTC Pain
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how easily posters throw out "stupid" in response to other posters' posts. :listen:

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Sometimes people forget that this is the National Football League and that every team has talented players. It's not like we were playing a college team and only won 17-9.

It's also funny the selective memory people have. So many people are like "on noes, we can't blow out crappy teams, this is bad news". They apparently have forgotten our blowouts of the Raiders, Saints, and Panthers.

weazel
11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Sometimes people forget that this is the National Football League and that every team has talented players. It's not like we were playing a college team and only won 17-9.

It's also funny the selective memory people have. So many people are like "on noes, we can't blow out crappy teams, this is bad news". They apparently have forgotten our blowouts of the Raiders, Saints, and Panthers.

yep... any given Sunday. People who thought we were going into KC and coming out with a blowout win were fooling themselves.

BroncoWave
11-26-2012, 04:28 PM
yep... any given Sunday. People who thought we were going into KC and coming out with a blowout win were fooling themselves.

I admittedly thought we would win much more comfortably, but I'm certainly not freaking out about the closeness of the game. If Prater doesn't miss two FGs that he makes 90+% of the time, we win the game by two touchdowns.

LTC Pain
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Bill Williamson had this to say (among others) about the Broncos' win ".....Good teams win on days they don’t have their ‘A’ game. That’s what Denver did. It has the look of a team that may go deep into the playoffs. A six-game win streak is impressive."........

Traveler
11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
That's a stupid criteria. Got it?

"You even called me stupid in your verse, and I’m almost agreeing, for where stupidity is involved, you are quite an expert, friend."
-Franz Grillparzer

Might be stupid to you, but true nonetheless. Deal with it!