PDA

View Full Version : Does this team have any hope of competing with the Pats?

tomjonesrocks
11-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Just a question, as I watch them destroy another opponent, even with an injury to Gronkowski.

I think Denver can compete with the Ravens and perhaps even the Texans. I think the Pats are just too good. Other opinions?

Davii
11-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes we can. Period. Our defense is much improved, as is our offense. We have the weapons to beat them. They also have the weapons to beat us, it's not a gimme game either way, but it's certainly a winnable game.

MasterShake
11-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Don't use a game vs the hapless Jets as a measuring stick. That's like saying the log didn't put up a fight against the chainsaw. We are a MUCH better team.

Davii
11-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Don't use a game vs the hapless Jets as a measuring stick. That's like saying the log didn't put up a fight against the chainsaw. We are a MUCH better team.

Speaking of, can we compete with a chainsaw?

igoe4broncos
11-22-2012, 11:22 PM
There's a very good chance Denver wins the first game in Foxboro if McGahee doesn't fumble that ball late. And that was with a horrible start and sloppy play. The team is playing twice as well as it was back then.

Northman
11-23-2012, 12:02 AM
We can but you cant do what the Jets did and turn it over 5 times.

bcbronc
11-23-2012, 12:13 AM
We can but you cant do what the Jets did and turn it over 5 times.

especially when you give up D/ST TDs on consecutive plays.

Simple Jaded
11-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Shit, the ******* Jets can compete with the Pats if they don't turn it over 5 times.......

Day1BroncoFan
11-23-2012, 12:39 AM
This team has something better than hope, it's called talent.

MasterShake
11-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Speaking of, can we compete with a chainsaw?

I'm just saying we are a better team than the Jets... lets not get crazy now! I like our chances against the Pats better now than last year (or even at the beginning of the season when we played them) but damn if they don't look like the best team in the league right now. I still think we match up pretty well.

Nomad
11-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I'd like to see a rematch with the Patriots more than any other team.....I think it would be one of those 31-29 games. Texans have gotten lucky calls as of late.

MileHighCrew
11-23-2012, 09:44 AM
WOW NE beat the JETS, run for the hills, we have no chance if they took down the mighty Jets.

Dirk
11-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I think we can. I also think we can beat the Texans. This team has been coming together as a complete unit week to week. If we get pressure on Brady we definately can win that game. Pressure frustrates Brady and causes mistakes.

MasterShake
11-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I think we can. I also think we can beat the Texans. This team has been coming together as a complete unit week to week. If we get pressure on Brady we definately can win that game. Pressure frustrates Brady and causes mistakes.

More than anything I would LOVE another shot at the Texans. That is a game we win more often than not, I don't think our D would get torched like that again. At least I hope not...

UnderArmour
11-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Just a question, as I watch them destroy another opponent, even with an injury to Gronkowski.

I think Denver can compete with the Ravens and perhaps even the Texans. I think the Pats are just too good. Other opinions?

You either didn't watch the game or you don't understand how momentum works. The Patriots had a string of turnovers and big plays which basically ended the game right from the get-go. There is nothing from that film that can be used to judge how good the Patriots really are or aren't.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Beating NE isn't a tough as it seems. We did it for years, no matter how good they were and how bad we were. The biggest thing is mistakes. NE is the master at capitalizing on other teams' mistakes and not making a lot of their own. Their offense really isn't as unstoppable as most make it out to be. The blueprint has been there for years on how to slow their offense down, most teams just don't or can't execute it. Their quick-pass offense demands bump and run coverage and getting serious jams on their WRs and TEs at the LOS while bringing pressure on Brady in his face (right up the gut). For some reason, teams (including us the last couple of times we played them) just give Welker and Gronk a free release every damned play and it becomes pitch and catch for Brady. It's frustrating to watch.

If you punch the NE offense in the mouth, jam the shit out of their receivers, and knock Brady down a few times, they become very human very quickly. If you look at the games they lost, it's because opposing defenses did just that - punched them in the damned mouth - and weren't "intimidated" by their dink and dunk offense. They also didn't shoot themselves in the foot like so many do and panic when they get down a score or two and turn the ball over several times (like we did).

MasterShake
11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Beating NE isn't a tough as it seems. We did it for years, no matter how good they were and how bad we were. The biggest thing is mistakes. NE is the master at capitalizing on other teams' mistakes and not making a lot of their own. Their offense really isn't as unstoppable as most make it out to be. The blueprint has been there for years on how to slow their offense down, most teams just don't or can't execute it. Their quick-pass offense demands bump and run coverage and getting serious jams on their WRs and TEs at the LOS while bringing pressure on Brady in his face (right up the gut). For some reason, teams (including us the last couple of times we played them) just give Welker and Gronk a free release every damned play and it becomes pitch and catch for Brady. It's frustrating to watch.

If you punch the NE offense in the mouth, jam the shit out of their receivers, and knock Brady down a few times, they become very human very quickly. If you look at the games they lost, it's because opposing defenses did just that - punched them in the damned mouth - and weren't "intimidated" by their dink and dunk offense. They also didn't shoot themselves in the foot like so many do and panic when they get down a score or two and turn the ball over several times (like we did).

Yup. I think back to our game earlier in the year and what killed us the most was the early mistakes. If I remember right we were on our way to scoring on the first drive before a turnover. That is what makes New England a great team though, their ability to capitalize on mistakes. They turn giveaways into Touchdowns pretty easily.

Nomad
11-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I would think the OP is talking more in the overall performance of the Pats this season and the points they are scoring. Patriots are playing excellent football right now, as well as the BRONCOS are.......BUT BRONCOS offense needs to get it into gear to be able to score more touchdowns.

Overall, the last 5 games vs the Patriots.....BRONCOS has been average scoring has been around 16 pts whereas the Patriots have been averaging 35 pts. Only once has the Patriots scored under 30 pts and the BRONCOS have only once scored over 3 touchdowns.

This tells me BRONCOS offense needs to do more to compete with the Patriots.

Chef Zambini
11-23-2012, 10:18 AM
the NE defense is the worst its been in a decade. and their ST has issues as well.
they rely on that O to put up 40 points and outscore the other teams.
yes, we have the TEAM to beat them. lets just hope we get the chance to face them in the AFC title game. for now, i just want us to beat each weels oponnent, thats what the pats are doing.

Simple Jaded
11-23-2012, 10:49 AM
I would think the OP is talking more in the overall performance of the Pats this season and the points they are scoring. Patriots are playing excellent football right now, as well as the BRONCOS are.......BUT BRONCOS offense needs to get it into gear to be able to score more touchdowns.

Overall, the last 5 games vs the Patriots.....BRONCOS has been average scoring has been around 16 pts whereas the Patriots have been averaging 35 pts. Only once has the Patriots scored under 30 pts and the BRONCOS have only once scored over 3 touchdowns.

He didn't ask if those Broncos teams could compete with this NE team, he asked if THIS Broncos team could compete with NE.......

Nomad
11-23-2012, 10:58 AM
He didn't ask if those Broncos teams could compete with this NE team, he asked if THIS Broncos team could compete with NE.......

Same Patriots offense and same results happened in Oct. BRONCOS offense has to score more points to compete, not tough to comprehend.

Chef Zambini
11-23-2012, 11:04 AM
if we play to our capabilities and dont cough up the football, we can beat ANY team.
those are big ifs and our run game is now featuring a huge question mark.
but in all 3 phases I think our broncos are as good as they have ever been in this new millenium.

Northman
11-23-2012, 11:11 AM
In the last 4 meetings with the Pats we are 1-3. In those games we have turned the ball over 9 TIMES compared to just 4 for them. It really has nothing to do with keeping up with their offense. We proved in the last game we can come back on anybody but when you constantly turn the ball over and give them an edge (or any team for that matter) than your going go lose. Anyone who doesnt think we can beat that team is nuts. We just got to quite shooting ourselves in the foot. Take care of the ball is priority one, let the rest take care of itself.

Chef Zambini
11-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Same Patriots offense and same results happened in Oct. BRONCOS offense has to score more points to compete, not tough to comprehend.our D is much improved, our O more evolved.
carter, harris and DJ
JDR finding his rythm.
PFM bringing his targets up to speed.
we are a much bettee team than the one that faced the pats early in the season.

Ravage!!!
11-23-2012, 11:18 AM
NE is a good team. Of course they are. But they have beaten up on the Indy Colts and the NY Jets.

So although I don't think that shows they are a powerhouse, we certainly know that with Brady behind center, they are a good team.

Nomad
11-23-2012, 11:22 AM
In other words...BRONCOS offense needs to execute and do their jobs, which means drive the ball, take care of the ball and score ,preferably touchdowns. That's why I said earlier, this is the rematch I want to see most because I believe the BRONCOS offense is more improved, but it's better that they prove it rather than talk about it. But it is the same Patriots offense that has given the BRONCOS fits the last few years.

Simple Jaded
11-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Same Patriots offense and same results happened in Oct. BRONCOS offense has to score more points to compete, not tough to comprehend.

Aside from the turnovers I kinda thought the results were far better in Oct than the previous four. The OP used the word "compete" and they did compete, even with the turnovers. Funny how the OP can use how NE is playing now (against the biggest train wreck in the league) but I have to go by the previous 5 meetings.......

Ravage!!!
11-23-2012, 11:41 AM

This tells me the Broncos defense has been horrible. The offense in the past was pretty damned bad. Its a good thing that both sides of the ball have really stepped up and played much better this year than they have over the last couple.

CrazyHorse
11-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Yeah. I still think they lose to the 49ers and Texans finishing 11-5 with the 4th seed.

Canmore
11-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Yes we can compete! Will we if we get another chance? We can't come out worse than minus one in the turnover differential and much preferably on the plus side or at least neutral. We have to run the ball some and neutralize New England's run game which I feel is underrated. Lastly we must get pressure on Brady. Brady has had a clean pocket to step up into lately and if we don't do something about it, recent results will be repeated.