PDA

View Full Version : Will Del Rio ....

rjent
11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
.... be here next year?

He was pretty non committal at the beginning of the season as to what his future is going to be. He coached for one year in Carolina (under Fox) then moved on to a HC job.

Will he be here next year?.

Thoughts ....

MOtorboat
11-22-2012, 08:02 PM
My gut feeling is no.

Dapper Dan
11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
My gut feeling is no.

Why would anyone want a Head Coach he is, what was it, lazy?

Dapper Dan
11-22-2012, 08:05 PM
On one hand coordinators are usually gone after having this good of a season. On the other, he didn't really have any success at all as a Head Coach. In my opinion, a team would be taking a chance. But if they get him, they would need a good OC. Much like Kubiak needed a good DC.

SR
11-22-2012, 08:07 PM
My gut feeling is no.

That's my fear as well. But I'm hopeful he stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MOtorboat
11-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Why would anyone want a Head Coach he is, what was it, lazy?

I've heard he is, yes. Was I wrong about the hire? Yes. He obviously knows football though.

I'm starting to think the laziness might have been a product of the Jacksonville organization...

Dapper Dan
11-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I've heard he is, yes. Was I wrong about the hire? Yes. He obviously knows football though.

I'm starting to think the laziness might have been a product of the Jacksonville organization...

Right now that organization is a buncha Mularkey.

Pudge
11-22-2012, 09:20 PM
IMO del rios fiasco in Jacksonville is still fresh on everyone's mind. Give it two more years with this production and then he will be a head coach again

HORSEPOWER 56
11-22-2012, 10:06 PM
IMO del rios fiasco in Jacksonville is still fresh on everyone's mind. Give it two more years with this production and then he will be a head coach again

The fiasco in Jacksonville is the current state of the franchise. You can't give tickets away to their games. It's pathetic. I won a couple of tickets to this week's game vs Tennessee in a giveaway from a local business (great seats, club level, 50 yard line), and right now I can't sell them for $50 for BOTH... That should tell you something. I'll probably end up just taking my son to the game (even though it means missing the Broncos game) for some dad and son time, but it really is sad the state this franchise is now in. They were NEVER this bad under JDR, EVER.

The overwhelming sentiment right now is that they should've just kept Del Rio and fired Gene Smith (GM) instead. Make no mistake, I think everyone now knows that JDR wasn't the real problem in Jacksonville.

I really hope JDR was honest about wanting to stay here and just coach defense. I haven't seen a Broncos defense this good in as long as I can remember. the '97 and '98 defenses weren't this good, the '05 defense wasn't this good, and Nolan's defense wasn't this good.

Dean
11-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Right now that organization is a buncha Mularkey.

Could that be the Mike of Mularkey?

Dapper Dan
11-22-2012, 10:20 PM
The fiasco in Jacksonville is the current state of the franchise. You can't give tickets away to their games. It's pathetic. I won a couple of tickets to this week's game vs Tennessee in a giveaway from a local business (great seats, club level, 50 yard line), and right now I can't sell them for $50 for BOTH... That should tell you something. I'll probably end up just taking my son to the game (even though it means missing the Broncos game) for some dad and son time, but it really is sad the state this franchise is now in. They were NEVER this bad under JDR, EVER.

The overwhelming sentiment right now is that they should've just kept Del Rio and fired Gene Smith (GM) instead. Make no mistake, I think everyone now knows that JDR wasn't the real problem in Jacksonville.

I really hope JDR was honest about wanting to stay here and just coach defense. I haven't seen a Broncos defense this good in as long as I can remember. the '97 and '98 defenses weren't this good, the '05 defense wasn't this good, and Nolan's defense wasn't this good.

Detroit
Pittsburgh
Chicago
San Diego
Cincinnati
Arizona
Minnesota
Oakland
Miami
St. Louis
Tampa Bay

All of these teams have a worse attendance than the Jaguars.

drewloc
11-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Chicago
San Diego
Cincinnati
Arizona
Minnesota
Oakland
Miami
St. Louis
Tampa Bay

I have a hard time believing that Chicago and Pittsburgh have a worse attendance, where did you get this info?

Dapper Dan
11-22-2012, 11:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Simple Jaded
11-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Del Rio is being mentioned as HC for USC.......

Day1BroncoFan
11-23-2012, 12:45 AM
If he wants a winners ring he'll stay one more year unless it happens this year. :D :elefant:

Army Bronco
11-23-2012, 01:16 AM
I think he is wanting that ring and we have the right pieces for it. He also knows we need some continuity to be a great team. He probably does not want to start over again. Not for at least another year.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Chicago
San Diego
Cincinnati
Arizona
Minnesota
Oakland
Miami
St. Louis
Tampa Bay

But none of them have a worse record (1-9). Those attendance numbers are misleading. The more accurate number is the % attendance . Remember also that the Jags cover roughly 10,000 seats in the stadium with a tarp (not available for purchase) and that Khan (the owner) in an effort to prevent TV blackouts buys up the majority of the unsold tickets himself so the numbers are skewed. Also, Jacksonville for being considered a "small market" is a much larger market (population wise) than any of the teams that you listed - being the most populous city in the Southeast (more than Miami, Atlanta, and New Orleans) and the 11th most populous in the country.

Combine all of that with the fact that the Jaguars' ticket prices are some of the lowest in the entire NFL and that their "team teal deal" allows people to actually make monthly payments for season tickets, allowing you to pay over 12 months, instead of paying for them upfront and you see where I'm coming from.

Chef Zambini
11-23-2012, 10:37 AM
I think he is wanting that ring and we have the right pieces for it. He also knows we need some continuity to be a great team. He probably does not want to start over again. Not for at least another year.speculation.
chase the ring or get a SHOT AT a HC job and turn your own team into a contender?
how do any of us what is in JDRs heart and soul?
there will be at lewast 5 teams looking for a new HC this year JDR would be a strong candidate for anyones short list.
his love of life in colorado , his family and the desire to win it all, (in denver0, those are the components that might keep him here against advancement and opportunity.

Chef Zambini
11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
% of seats sold, BINGO !

Slick
11-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Peyton asked Del Rio if he would be one and done when we were courting Peyton and he answered no, but who really knows. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Dapper Dan
11-23-2012, 10:44 AM
But none of them have a worse record (1-9). Those attendance numbers are misleading. The more accurate number is the % attendance . Remember also that the Jags cover roughly 10,000 seats in the stadium with a tarp (not available for purchase) and that Khan (the owner) in an effort to prevent TV blackouts buys up the majority of the unsold tickets himself so the numbers are skewed. Also, Jacksonville for being considered a "small market" is a much larger market (population wise) than any of the teams that you listed - being the most populous city in the Southeast (more than Miami, Atlanta, and New Orleans) and the 11th most populous in the country.

Combine all of that with the fact that the Jaguars' ticket prices are some of the lowest in the entire NFL and that their "team teal deal" allows people to actually make monthly payments for season tickets, allowing you to pay over 12 months, instead of paying for them upfront and you see where I'm coming from.

I'm sure the factor skew the numbers, but I'm not sure if that would make them drop 11 spots to last. Forget the local market, teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc have people from all over the world that fly in for games. Tampa is playing well and their attendance is horrible. I just don't think attendance correlates to success as much as most people think.

I get what you're trying to say. I just think the Jaguars attendance has been blown out of proportion by the Tebow trade talks and Los Angeles building a new stadium. I wouldn't mind if they did move. Florida has too many football teams as it is.

I agree with whoever said the GM was the problem. Jacksonville hasn't made many decent draft picks in years. It's hard to win games when most of your picks are busts.

Dapper Dan
11-23-2012, 10:47 AM
% of seats sold, BINGO !

These teams have a worse Home percentage than Jacksonville.

Cincinnati
Minnesota
Cleveland
Kansas City
Oakland
St. Louis
San Diego
Washington
Tampa Bay
Miami

Nomad
11-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Del Rio is being mentioned as HC for USC.......

I wouldn't be surprised, because the Trojans defense is lacking and morethanlikely the Irish are gonna destroy them.

Chef Zambini
11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
fascinating that PFM would demand a commitment from the DC before signing on the doted line, but PFM is just that kind of smart !
did the broncos ask JDR the same question and get the same commitment/ what are JDRs contract terms?
philly
san diego
maybe even dallas?
cleveland
KC carolina
the jets ?
is JDR going to turn his back on all these towns?
all the offers $$$.
we bronco fans would be fortunate if he did !

Simple Jaded
11-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't be surprised, because the Trojans defense is lacking and morethanlikely the Irish are gonna destroy them.
Did Monte Kiffin follow Doogie to USC?.......

Dapper Dan
11-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't even think Kiffin is on the hot seat.

Dapper Dan
11-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Yeah.

Nomad
11-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Obviously Monte isn't doing that good of a job.

Dapper Dan
11-23-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't know much about the players Monte has under him, but he hasn't had a bad defense in a long, long time.

Simple Jaded
11-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm kinda surprised that Tampa2 isn't a big hit in college, wonder if it's got something to do with the hash marks.......

pnbronco
11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
My gut feeling is no.

That's what my gut says as well. I don't remember what grade his son is and that would be the only reason I see him staying here. It's the nature of the business. Players want rings, coaches want to be HC and build winning teams.

Ravage!!!
11-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I just don't see him getting a HC job this quickly after Jax...but you never know. As someone mentioned, I think that college would be the ones that would lure him away with a HC job before the NFL does.

NightTerror218
11-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Del Rio mentioned is beginning of season he was looking forward to just being a DC again and focusing on one side of the ball. I could see him here another year easily

SR
11-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Del Rio mentioned is beginning of season he was looking forward to just being a DC again and focusing on one side of the ball. I could see him here another year easily

I'd like to see him here for a few years

smith49
11-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I sure hope he sticks around. He's been the best DC we've had in Denver for a very long time. I just hope he maybe feels like he's building something special here and wants to see it through.

SR
11-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I sure hope he sticks around. He's been the best DC we've had in Denver for a very long time. I just hope he maybe feels like he's building something special here and wants to see it through.

I want him to want to make Von the best OLB the world has ever seen!!

smith49
11-24-2012, 04:32 AM
I want him to want to make Von the best OLB the world has ever seen!!

I'm thinking Von may do that himself. But whatever it takes to keep him around..........

Rick
11-24-2012, 08:38 PM
I hope he becomes our Dick LeBeau

rjent
11-24-2012, 10:32 PM
The responses are about what I expected. I personally see him moving on after this year. I just feel it in my gut. There are going to be a lot of HC ing jobs opening up at the end of the season and I think he will be offered at least one. I don't blame him, but it is going to be the pits to lose yet another DC after only another year.

Now, the brighter side is that Fox himself is a great Defensive coach. If you watch the game, Del Rio is actually taking "orders" from Fox often. I also feel the the Defense is actually a product of DR and Fox with a heavy dose of Fox. If so, we may not take as much of a hit next year if he goes.

Thirdly, if we were to go to the SB (not trying to jinx it) whether we win it or not, it would influence him to stick for at least another year. Not only would the chance to do that (doesn't come to every coach often) again be alluring enough, but the experience is priceless.

I hope he stays, but I also think Fox has a very good handle on the D. Enough of a handle that we could continue next year without disruption.

I am glad I am not the only one to feel this way.

Time will tell ..... :coffee:

DenBronx
11-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I really hope Del Rio stays here a very long time. It would be good to see our defense get some stability for a change. We finally have a DC that is respected and in it to win it. Del Rio shines as a DC but i'm not so sure he does as a HC. I think in his mind he is happy working as a DC again. If I were him i'd like the break and not to have the burden of being the HC for once. He has really helped bring out the best in almost every position on defense. I have never seen some of these guys play so hard.

But....when you have an offense also averaging 28-30 points a game it takes a little pressure off too. It allows flexability. Everyones doing their job and thats when you get a complete team....it ends up making everyone look good.

G_Money
11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
I think it depends on the opportunity. KC is obviously looking for a coach and GM after this season, so do you wanna hitch your wagon to an unproven GM, hope you can draft a QB in 2013 who can continue the string of rookie QB awesomeness, and see what you can make of that mess of a locker room? I don't think Jack leaves for that. I'm sure he's looking at what Dennis Allen is going through with the Raiders. There are several places like that (Eagles, for instance) with a no-QB, wrong-talent, GM-issues situation. I could see Jack considering the Lions or a club like that where many of the pieces are already in place, just poorly used... but if a job like that doesn't come calling, he'll probably stay with us.

USC is a bit of a different matter. The coaching hours are better, he's an alum, and I'm sure he watched Pete Carroll's delight in the L.A. spotlight. Jack could do that - except they asked him before the offered the job to Kiffin and he said no, so things would have to be different. Perhaps not having a head coaching job makes it different now, but I think we'll get 2 years out of Del Rio. Especially since I don't think Kiffin is gonna be fired after this year.

Our window right now is an interesting one. Del Rio does have a Super Bowl ring (from his time as LB coach of the Ravens) so it's not like he just wants a rock for his hand, but I'd have to think he finds this team intriguing. Hopefully it's enough for him to stay a while - he and Fox work REALLY well together.

~G

G_Money
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
BTW, this is only Del Rio's second season as a coordinator. It's not like he has a long history of awesomeness at this job, but I'm impressed at how well he and Fox work together and get the kind of defense that can win titles. They were great together for one season in Carolina, and are improving every week here. Fingers crossed that they can keep the partnership going.

~G

CoachChaz
11-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Now if he'd only move Champ to safety

ShaneFalco
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Alot of people forget Coughlin in Jax as well